If No Deal Is Done What's Next ?

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

Leonidas
Starter
And1: 2

Re: If No Deal Is Done What's Next ? 

Post#61 » by Leonidas » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:08 am

milesfides wrote:More relevant to this thread:

With no deal, I think the Lakers will extend Vujacic. I'm not sure what'll happen with Turiaf, although one can infer that his extension depends somewhat on how the Artest negotiations are progressing.

But Vujacic is a key player to retain. That's about it. Bynum and Ariza's rehabilitation (and Walton's) will be seen as potential for improvement.

Odom will be in limbo, dead man walking, unless he somehow plays himself into becoming the second best player on this team, or some other remarkable contribution that makes him indispensable. Otherwise, I can't help but feel that the Lakers would trade him for payroll-friendly assets or at worst, get him to walk after they lowball him next summer.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love it if Buss extended Odom and everybody else to preserve all our talent, and would use the MLE every year to add talent, but realistically speaking, I think there are financial constraints, and Bynum's upcoming extension will undoubtedly play a factor in management's present and near-future decisions.

I agree with your post. Its just the fan in me that wants improvements on all the negative points in the Laker lineup. I mean u can't subtract Smush and add Fish, then trade Cook and Mo for Trevor.. Then the greatest trade of Mitchdom to trade Kwame for Pau(OMG!!!!) then this offseason....NUTHIN?!?! This cannot be true.. There has to be a plan.. It just gotta be... But I am affraid your are right...

Propz to Kno for the sig..
Jajwanda
General Manager
And1: 105

Post#62 » by Jajwanda » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:17 am

milesfides wrote:More relevant to this thread:

With no deal, I think the Lakers will extend Vujacic. I'm not sure what'll happen with Turiaf, although one can infer that his extension depends somewhat on how the Artest negotiations are progressing.

But Vujacic is a key player to retain. That's about it. Bynum and Ariza's rehabilitation (and Walton's) will be seen as potential for improvement.

Odom will be in limbo, dead man walking, unless he somehow plays himself into becoming the second best player on this team, or some other remarkable contribution that makes him indispensable. Otherwise, I can't help but feel that the Lakers would trade him for payroll-friendly assets or at worst, get him to walk after they lowball him next summer.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love it if Buss extended Odom and everybody else to preserve all our talent, and would use the MLE every year to add talent, but realistically speaking, I think there are financial constraints, and Bynum's upcoming extension will undoubtedly play a factor in management's present and near-future decisions.

I still think we go after you favorite player Shawn Marion and play him extensively with Jordan Farmar in the first unit to give us both a running and half court game.

After calculating the cost of Artest and Marion's likely deals as well as the 17m we'd pay in 2009-2010 for having K.T., Marion comes out to be the superior option in every facet of the game. Plus he is a very effective PF.
islander009
Junior
And1: 21

Post#63 » by islander009 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:39 am

if no deal is done...i honestly think the Lakers are going to follow through with that they have said in the past, which was to try to sign RT and the machine, and to let the team play with the huge lineup. FO has made it clear that they werent going to change anything up. But with the loss of Ronny, i say we should at least pick up a big. Either a Garbajossa which i think we can get with LLE, or kwame for vets min (i know that doesnt sound realistic, but everyone is saying he has looked impressive but no ones been stating an offer for him), brian skinner, or a clinic for mbenga with kareem. Our team was good and we fell to a better Celtics team. So lets see how the addition of two healthy key players do to the already great team.
Jajwanda
General Manager
And1: 105

Post#64 » by Jajwanda » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:35 am

If we make no changes in that regard, then I expect a serious search to find an effective SF who can step in if the Lamar experiment fails. I expect Lamar to eventually fail at SF in training camp leading him to become the constant PF backup with Gasol the main C backup, Mbenga there, and possibly a Dan Gadzuric for Radmanovic deal.

- We should seriously investigate guys like Ricky Davis as a Sasha replacement and SF. He might be very useful.
Deity Allah
Junior
And1: 2

Post#65 » by Deity Allah » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:10 am

Waiting patiently for the day Lamar goes back to Miami so I never have to come on this god forsaken board again.....
LLcoleJ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,366

Post#66 » by LLcoleJ » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:57 pm

Deity Allah wrote:Waiting patiently for the day Lamar goes back to Miami so I never have to come on this god forsaken board again.....

Consider this a warning. You dont like the board dont visit. However, everytime you do you have to take a dig at posters and the board.
Cheers. :beer: — Mags
Dexmor
Head Coach
And1: 39

Post#67 » by Dexmor » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:51 pm

Lakers still need to attempt to get better. Standing pat or in this case losing Ronny does not do that. They need add a piece or 2 or at least do something about the sf position.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers