ImageImageImageImageImage

Not Many Trade Options for our Lakers Mitch says

Moderators: Danny Darko, Kilroy, TyCobb

deNIEd
Banned User
And1: 30

Re: Not Many Trade Options for our Lakers Mitch says 

Post#41 » by deNIEd » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:30 pm

HiiiPOWER wrote:if Kobe signs any kind of deal after he expires in '14 it'll be a 1 year deal. Kupchak and Kobe talk quite a bit. if they told Kobe that Rondo was their target for 2015 i could see him signing back for even less the following year to fit Rondo in. there's very little said about this, but Kobe's gonna be a minority owner and have a % of the Lakers when he retires. he rakes in 70+million for the franchise every year. he's not hurting for money. the idea is to beat the salary cap system and put a great product on the floor.

If you make the assumption that the Lakers have already acquired a player like Josh Smith (making around $15 million) and keeps Dwight in LA (around $22-24 million by 2015). The cap should be at $60 million by the summer of 2015, leaving the Lakers approximately $23 million to play with (assuming no one else is on the books).

Rondo will command a deal around $15 million as well, leaving $8 million to use on 9 additional players. If the Lakers keep their draft pick in 2014, that leaves around $6.5 million.

What I'm getting at, is Kobe would have to take a minimum salary or at the most, a MLE salary. Does anyone see Kobe being a person that would be okay with a $3-5 million salary (or $1-2 million)? I know it's not about money for him anymore, but I still find that he would be open to accepting a deal like that.
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,804

Post#42 » by TyCobb » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:34 pm

I personally think Kobe retires at the end of his current contract.
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
leeprettyp
Assistant Coach
And1: 680

Post#43 » by leeprettyp » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:02 pm

TyCobb wrote:Milwaukee really does seem like the best trade partner for us.

Gasol, Ebanks, and Jamison for Ellis, Dalembert, and Dunleavy.

OR

Gasol for Dalembert, Dunleavy, and Udrih.

Can u imagine a Monta Ellis and Dwight Howard pick n roll. OMG thats almost a guaranteed basket every time in the paint. Once Ellis hits that corner were going to get a good shot. And Dunleavy can provide the shooting we need. I like this trade
EArl
RealGM
And1: 13,221

Post#44 » by EArl » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:34 pm

I think Kobe stays two more years after his current contract ends.
Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing, Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before;
HiiiPOWER
Sophomore
And1: 3

Post#45 » by HiiiPOWER » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:29 am

deNIEd wrote:
HiiiPOWER wrote:if Kobe signs any kind of deal after he expires in '14 it'll be a 1 year deal. Kupchak and Kobe talk quite a bit. if they told Kobe that Rondo was their target for 2015 i could see him signing back for even less the following year to fit Rondo in. there's very little said about this, but Kobe's gonna be a minority owner and have a % of the Lakers when he retires. he rakes in 70+million for the franchise every year. he's not hurting for money. the idea is to beat the salary cap system and put a great product on the floor.

If you make the assumption that the Lakers have already acquired a player like Josh Smith (making around $15 million) and keeps Dwight in LA (around $22-24 million by 2015). The cap should be at $60 million by the summer of 2015, leaving the Lakers approximately $23 million to play with (assuming no one else is on the books).

Rondo will command a deal around $15 million as well, leaving $8 million to use on 9 additional players. If the Lakers keep their draft pick in 2014, that leaves around $6.5 million.

What I'm getting at, is Kobe would have to take a minimum salary or at the most, a MLE salary. Does anyone see Kobe being a person that would be okay with a $3-5 million salary (or $1-2 million)? I know it's not about money for him anymore, but I still find that he would be open to accepting a deal like that.

i believe Kobe is going to consider 3 things at the end of his contract if he wants to continue to play for LAL:

1) that if he isn't helping the front office make life easier for him ( taking less in salary) than it may be time to go
2) he'll be giving up his quest for his 6th/7th rings when the front office is building another power
3) he won't be breaking Kareem's scoring mark, at least not in a Laker jersey

he cares a lot about 2 and 3. he doesn't wanna be " MJ with the Wizards ". if you were gonna be a minority owner of the Lakers, would you trip out over a year or two of MLE money given to beat an anti-Lakers salary cap and give up 2 and 3? i didn't know this until an hour ago, but Josh Smith and Rondo are good friends. Rondo said that other than his teammates and Josh Smith, he doesn't even consider anybody else his friend around the league. Lakers get Dwight's boy Josh Smith to town and a couple seasons from now Smith will be luring Rondo to LA. nobody would like to rain on Chris Paul's parade like Rondo. Kobe will either be in or out, but the ship keeps moving.
EArl
RealGM
And1: 13,221

Post#46 » by EArl » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:33 am

A line up of Rondo, Kobe, clark, Smith and Howard would be good in terms of D and horrible in terms of spreading the floor :lol: If i were the opposing team I would just zone up every possession.
Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing, Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before;
HiiiPOWER
Sophomore
And1: 3

Post#47 » by HiiiPOWER » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:47 am

eablinksum wrote:A line up of Rondo, Kobe, clark, Smith and Howard would be good in terms of D and horrible in terms of spreading the floor :lol: If i were the opposing team I would just zone up every possession.

and you'd get slaughtered on the glass with your zone too. that's why Phil preferred switching defenders over zones... you stay connected to a man. whoever wins the rebound war and defends the best, wins it all... that has never failed. zones are a gimmick... they work best when opposition is undersized. Dwight's a man-child and even Rondo will grab 10-15 rebounds. hell, all 5 of those players you named could grab 10-15 rebounds against a zone lol

also, who said anything about Clark? if i had my way they'd have Ariza back by then
Jakay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,904

Post#48 » by Jakay » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:08 am

When was the last time a GM said anything that actually meant anything?

Other than "we stand firmly behind coach ______" being a nearly literal way of saying "you're fired".
AcecardZ
Lead Assistant
And1: 541

Post#49 » by AcecardZ » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:27 am

Re: minimal trade options...

If the average basketball fan can see Pau is done I'm pretty sure most of the GM's around the league can also. Heck even Kahn in Minnehaha is smart enough to realize acquiring Pau would be a big mistake.
Sometimes being wrong is awesome!!! :D
JohnVancouver
General Manager
And1: 236

Post#50 » by JohnVancouver » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:06 pm

Any way to pry Chandler P out of Houston?
"Deng and Mozgov was some 1980s Clippers sh*t. So, so dumb" - Sedale Threatt

"If you can't get banned for threatening to rape a mod, what can you get banned for?" Jigga_Man/2013

"Everybody love Everybody." - Jackie Moon
desertlakerfan
Analyst
And1: 32

Post#51 » by desertlakerfan » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:34 pm

AcecardZ wrote:Re: minimal trade options...

If the average basketball fan can see Pau is done I'm pretty sure most of the GM's around the league can also. Heck even Kahn in Minnehaha is smart enough to realize acquiring Pau would be a big mistake.

He's only "done" at the PF, there are still teams looking for a solid center who they can run their offense through which Pau brings. Our problem is now that we have Howard, we have no need for a second center who we can run our offense through except for the 8-10 mpg Howard rests which is a huge a waste of Pau's talents and salary.
Ockham
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#52 » by Ockham » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:06 pm

Spanish NBA-fan here. Sorry, my English is a bit rusty. I'll try my messages are, at least, inteligible.

I hope i won't get banned from this forum too early :wink: . There are a lot of good discussions here

One Love wrote:The reaity is there are only a few teams that can compile a decent package given the high salaries involved... I think there is a REAL chance Pau gets Amenstied in the offseason as most of the deals would require us to take back bad contracts and could adversly affect our '14 Plan...

We have only 3 players that are eligiable to be amnestied (Gasol, Kobe & Metta)... Pau is costing us close to $40 million ($19 salary & luxury taxes) therefore if he gets Amenstied another team will pick him up (submit blind offers) and those monies (probably $4 to $5 million) would come back to the Lakers therefore Pau would cost us $14 million next year instead of $40 to $45 million...

Well, i think this is a good analysis. Money ($45 million) is the real issue. Next year, the real cost of Gasol could be even higher ($60-70 million), depending of Howard's salary. This is a lot of Buss's money

I think there is a big lack of empathy in the Gasol-gate. I'm going to try to compensate it with my analysis. After all, he's a compatriot ;-)

Plausible ideas into Gasol's head
- I've done all the money I'll ever need. Next year my salary is guaranteed
- Does anyone respect me here? Does anyone remember I transform Kobe's gang in a contender?
- Does anyone understand here what is collective and unselfish basket? Brown? D'Antoni?...Kobe? Fans?
- Lakers will trade me as soon as posible. I don't need to demand it
- I WANT another ring
- Enough is enouh. I never win another ring here.

What could i do?
1) Play hard until they trade me
- My market value increases. My new team could offer too much for me and destroy its chances. I don´t control my destiny. Thet could send me back to a team Old Memphis-like or another gang
- My energy level decreases. My knees and feet suffer. I'll need energy and health in my new team

2) Play in "safe" mode until they trade me or (much better) they amnisty me
- I'll play few minutes. I can heal me properly. I can extend my career.
- My market value decreases. They can't get anything valuable for me right now. They NEED negotiate with me.
- I could "choose" my new team (a contender) if my market value is low (o zero) but my agent negotiates a extension with the new team. If Lakers doesn't accept garbage or a TPE for me they'll have to amnesty me and pay part of my salary...or risk $50-70 million next year.

This is my analysis. In my opinion, Gasol-gate is another Odom-gate right now because Pau's said enough. Unfortunately, I'dont think Lakers get anything valuable for Pau. Obviously, Stern should pay the bill. Right?
PandGneverfold
Banned User
And1: 42

Post#53 » by PandGneverfold » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:50 pm

Lets get one thing straight the lakers did way more for gasoline than what gasoline did for them. Gasoline is not a franchise player,he has proven that. The lakers and Kobe took him from being a laughing stock to a well respected big in the game. We would not have won without pAu ,but this organization has done nothing wrong to him. Also I would like to give Mitch and dr buss credit. They seem this coming over a year ago and tried to do he best they could.
Cashin out
Banned User
And1: 12

Post#54 » by Cashin out » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:54 pm

Gasol for Evans/Salmons/Thompson

Pipedream?
Jetset
RealGM
And1: 162

Post#55 » by Jetset » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:06 pm

LAKESHOW wrote:Why would Mitch think about trade options? You mean by giving a coach steve nash AND dwight howard that aint enough?

not when you're paying $19 mil for career lows all across the board, no defense, and a refusal to accept a bench spot for the betterment of the team. i want d'antoni gone too but pau's on his 11th hour and 59th minute in la. the trade deadline is feb. 21, i'm giving him 3 more weeks at the max.
deNIEd
Banned User
And1: 30

Post#56 » by deNIEd » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:28 pm

HiiiPOWER wrote:also, who said anything about Clark? if i had my way they'd have Ariza back by then

There is zero chance the Lakers could afford Rondo, Kobe, Ariza, Smith, and Dwight. It is simply impossible to make plausible under the CBA
Ockham
Ballboy

Post#57 » by Ockham » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:18 am

PandGneverfold wrote:Lets get one thing straight the lakers did way more for gasoline than what gasoline did for them. Gasoline is not a franchise player,he has proven that. The lakers and Kobe took him from being a laughing stock to a well respected big in the game. We would not have won without pAu ,but this organization has done nothing wrong to him. Also I would like to give Mitch and dr buss credit. They seem this coming over a year ago and tried to do he best they could.

I don't know if Gasoline is, was or will be a franchise player. I don`t even know if he want to be a franchise player. But I'm pretty sure that he wants to win another ring out of Lakers. And I can see 4-5 teams becoming instantly high-level contenders if they could incorporate and use properly his soft and lazy talents. Of course, if those teams don´t have to give someone too valuable in exchange for him.

It won´t be easy dealing with a player when you want publicly and "violently" trade him (Thanks, Stern). Pau is a good and rational guy, but I think he's said enough!. So, perhaps it's time to take it easy (Zen Master could say), let him go...and save a lot of money next year. After all, this is a business.
leeprettyp
Assistant Coach

Post#58 » by leeprettyp » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:07 am

Ockham wrote:
PandGneverfold wrote:Lets get one thing straight the lakers did way more for gasoline than what gasoline did for them. Gasoline is not a franchise player,he has proven that. The lakers and Kobe took him from being a laughing stock to a well respected big in the game. We would not have won without pAu ,but this organization has done nothing wrong to him. Also I would like to give Mitch and dr buss credit. They seem this coming over a year ago and tried to do he best they could.

I don't know if Gasoline is, was or will be a franchise player. I don`t even know if he want to be a franchise player. But I'm pretty sure that he wants to win another ring out of Lakers. And I can see 4-5 teams becoming instantly high-level contenders if they could incorporate and use properly his soft and lazy talents. Of course, if those teams don´t have to give someone too valuable in exchange for him.

It won´t be easy dealing with a player when you want publicly and "violently" trade him (Thanks, Stern). Pau is a good and rational guy, but I think he's said enough!. So, perhaps it's time to take it easy (Zen Master could say), let him go...and save a lot of money next year. After all, this is a business.

lol your living off the name Pau Gasol. The guy isnt good like that anymore.
Ockham
Ballboy

Post#59 » by Ockham » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:31 pm

leeprettyp wrote:
Ockham wrote:

lol your living off the name Pau Gasol. The guy isnt good like that anymore.

Well, for sure the guy won't stay here next year. It will be very easy to check your hypothesys...and find out if the problem is the guy or the organization.

And also It'll be very interesting to see how this poker game ends. If Pau goes to a gang for something valuable or goes to a contender for nothing. Do you remember he came here for nothing? Miracles happen.
leeprettyp
Assistant Coach

Post#60 » by leeprettyp » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:53 pm

The verdict is out on Pau. Be physical with him in the post (push him off the block). Go at him when he's the singular big in the paint (Layup lines). Run pick n roll with him involved in it and hope to get switch... Even if u dont his rotation to the pic and pop shooter is very slow. No matter where we send him this wont change Pau's best days are way behind him. People base their opinion on how he played in the Olympics and thats not a great barometer because Team USA always played small ball and also Tyson Chandlier when he was in, isnt a great post defender he's a better anchor and on off ball rotation. In todays NBA teams are playing small ball and we know Pau is allergic to any athletic player that comes at him

Return to Los Angeles Lakers