ImageImageImageImageImage

THE Official: Byron Scott Watch

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

FrozenIceCubes
Banned User
And1: 77

THE Official: Byron Scott Watch 

Post#1 » by FrozenIceCubes » Tue Oct 6, 2015 6:45 pm

Looking at the body language of the team in the 1st preseason game.. I did not see a team with a identity. I hope the Lakers actually have the balls to fire BScott if things go south.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,469

Re: Should the Lakers fire Scott if the team starts off slow? 

Post#2 » by Slava » Tue Oct 6, 2015 6:50 pm

What's the point? This season is a lost cause anyways when the best expectation is around 32 wins. I'd keep him let him develop the players and then go into free agency telling any player willing to listen that he can choose his teammates and coach if he comes to the Lakers.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
FrozenIceCubes
Banned User

Post#3 » by FrozenIceCubes » Tue Oct 6, 2015 6:56 pm

It's interesting that you mention that cause this team is more talented then the 2013 Lakers that won 45 games and went to the playoffs.. The problem is it's been the same ol song as far as the team not coming into camp with a identity in place and when that is the case it usually spells trouble.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,229

Post#4 » by Kilroy » Tue Oct 6, 2015 7:04 pm

Way too many variables on this team to reliably point to the coach as the reason the team starts slow... In fact, I'd be willing to bet it's a rock solid certainty that this team starts slow.
IMO the only chance this team has at a winning season is if they figure out all the moving pieces quickly and finish strong. This does not have the makings of a fast out of the gate kind of team to me.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,469

Post#5 » by Slava » Tue Oct 6, 2015 8:05 pm

FrozenIceCubes wrote:It's interesting that you mention that cause this team is more talented then the 2013 Lakers that won 45 games and went to the playoffs.. The problem is it's been the same ol song as far as the team not coming into camp with a identity in place and when that is the case it usually spells trouble.

There's not one player on this team that's even remotely in the same stratosphere as 2013 Kobe, Howard or even Gasol.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
FrozenIceCubes
Banned User

Post#6 » by FrozenIceCubes » Tue Oct 6, 2015 9:14 pm

Howard and Hibbert have the same Rim protection rate and Gasol that year played inconsistent ball.. and the Lakers role players on this team is way better then the one resembled in 2013.
Jody Smokz
Starter
And1: 1,393

Post#7 » by Jody Smokz » Tue Oct 6, 2015 9:24 pm

I swear extreme fandom and lack of bball knowledge should be against the rules around here. This might be your 4th or 5th post I've read in the last few days that was extremely out there about this team. No Howard and Hibbert do not have the same impact overall to a team and our bigs our going to be just as inconsistent as Pau was that year and Kobe isn't good anymore at least not to factor in 45 wins.

FrozenIceCubes wrote:Howard and Hibbert have the same Rim protection rate and Gasol that year played inconsistent ball.. and the Lakers role players on this team is way better then the one resembled in 2013.
FrozenIceCubes
Banned User

Post#8 » by FrozenIceCubes » Tue Oct 6, 2015 9:35 pm

Jody Smokz wrote:I swear extreme fandom and lack of bball knowledge should be against the rules around here. This might be your 4th or 5th post I've read in the last few days that was extremely out there about this team. No Howard and Hibbert do not have the same impact overall to a team and our bigs our going to be just as inconsistent as Pau was that year and Kobe isn't good anymore at least not to factor in 45 wins.

FrozenIceCubes wrote:Howard and Hibbert have the same Rim protection rate and Gasol that year played inconsistent ball.. and the Lakers role players on this team is way better then the one resembled in 2013.

I'm sorry if disagreeing with someone results in someone lacking in "bball knowledge".

The Lakers overall in talent this season is way better then the 2013 Lakers. I'm sorry if you think I'm being naive. We have 2 scorers in Young and Lou that could erupt for 30points in any game and last I checked Howard has the same offensive problems as Hibbert but gets his share of points because of his elite athleticism compared to Roy.this team also has better guard rotation. The only argument is the Kobe comparsion and even then I think the current Kobe is a better leader then the one we saw a few years ago even if his talent has dropped off.. The Lakers have enough guard depth to prevent Kobe from overloading his game.
Jody Smokz
Starter

Post#9 » by Jody Smokz » Tue Oct 6, 2015 9:42 pm

There is much more to basketball than pure basic talent, which is what you are basing your assessment off of. First of all 2013 Kobe was still a top 5 player in the NBA. 2013 Dwight was still an elite player when healthy, Pau when playing well would be the best player on this team including 2015-16 Kobe. D Russ is talented but he's a rookie and rookies tend to have a steep learning curve. You even said in one thread you EXPECT a 21/5/5 year out of him lol. How on earth is he going to put up numbers like that on this team? You also said you expect Hibbert's block % to go sky high up to avg 3-4 blks a game. Pretty much putting up numbers no one has put up in years.

FrozenIceCubes wrote:
Jody Smokz wrote:I swear extreme fandom and lack of bball knowledge should be against the rules around here. This might be your 4th or 5th post I've read in the last few days that was extremely out there about this team. No Howard and Hibbert do not have the same impact overall to a team and our bigs our going to be just as inconsistent as Pau was that year and Kobe isn't good anymore at least not to factor in 45 wins.

I'm sorry if disagreeing with someone results in someone lacking in "bball knowledge".

The Lakers overall in talent this season is way better then the 2013 Lakers. I'm sorry if you think I'm being naive. We have 2 scorers in Young and Lou that could erupt for 30points in any game and last I checked Howard has the same offensive problems as Hibbert but gets his share of points because of his elite athleticism compared to Roy.this team also has better guard rotation. The only argument is the Kobe comparsion and even then I think the current Kobe is a better leader then the one we saw a few years ago even if his talent has dropped off.. The Lakers have enough guard depth to prevent Kobe from overloading his game.
Jody Smokz
Starter

Post#10 » by Jody Smokz » Tue Oct 6, 2015 9:44 pm

I get it it's the offseason, we're all excited and what not but these crazy expectations are only going to have you pissed off come all star break when you realize this team probably hasn't even broken 25 wins yet. Stuff like this is why Lakers fans are laughed at on most boards.
FrozenIceCubes
Banned User

Post#11 » by FrozenIceCubes » Tue Oct 6, 2015 9:48 pm

For all the talent your speaking of regarding the 2013 Lakers.. You are essentially forgetting that it took a MVP Kobe performance down the stretch just for the Lakers to sniff the playoffs.. Before that .. That team was beyond awful and inconsistent and had no identity... The Lakers chemistry right now is also better then any chemistry that team had.
Jody Smokz
Starter

Post#12 » by Jody Smokz » Tue Oct 6, 2015 9:58 pm

The team being bad had less to do with the talent and more to do with them being INJURED and the pieces didn't fit. Did you just start following the Lakers last year? You do realize the 4 main pieces only played like a total of 16 games together that year. Kobe for how well he played on offense was probably the worst defensive player on the team that year too. How does that change 3 years later? You also mentioned Nick Young as a key talented piece. You should probably stop right there. Nick Young is an avg player with D league tendencies. Unless his shot is fire that night he's a complete liabiltiy on both sides of the ball.

FrozenIceCubes wrote:For all the talent your speaking of regarding the 2013 Lakers.. You are essentially forgetting that it took a MVP Kobe performance down the stretch just for the Lakers to sniff the playoffs.. Before that .. That team was beyond awful and inconsistent and had no identity... The Lakers chemistry right now is also better then any chemistry that team had.
EArl
RealGM
And1: 13,235

Post#13 » by EArl » Tue Oct 6, 2015 11:15 pm

Theres no point in doing so. It would only cause more turmoil to the locker and personnel. let Scott develop the youngings. I actually think he's pretty good at doing that.
Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing, Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before;
dipstick
Sixth Man
And1: 218

Post#14 » by dipstick » Tue Oct 6, 2015 11:40 pm

Another thing is that the 2013 team failed because of poor coaching. Not necessarily a hit on MDA, but we had size but didn't have the gameplan to utilize it. Hence, the bad season, with an inconsistent Gasol who was taken out of his comfort zone.

A coach who could have utilized Gasol and Howard better would have won a lot more games.

This current team may have talent but lacks experience. So while I am optimistic, I do remain realistic. We will have good games but will have bad ones too. I'm not in favor of a tank and I'm not saying we will be as bad as last year but for sure, our young guys will have growing pains especially at the start of the season. So expecting a great start from a team with a starting lineup comprising of 3 guys who have a combined 60 nba games under their belts isn't really very realistic.
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#15 » by DEEP3CL » Wed Oct 7, 2015 12:27 am

Hell of good post man, I'm getting so damn tired of reading the damn doom and gloom post here. People act as if this team should just be a "pour water and watch it blossom" quickly. It's a process to winning and it just doesn't come just because you assemble some decent talent. I agree man the lack of ball IQ displayed sometimes is just to the extreme.

Mitch this summer brought in some decent talent, way better than the last two summers...so that tells me he's looking for the team to make some strides. No we're not winning a title but given a few breaks and we don't hit debilitating injuries that will cramp the season we should be able to stay within the pack for the 7th (if it goes really good ) or 8th seed.

And to answer the main question of this thread....NO the Lakers won't fire Scott over a slow start. Doing that will send the wrong message of being super impatient, straying from the overall long term plan which is making sure we develop our young 3 big guns.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
nitetrain8603
RealGM
And1: 1,697

Post#16 » by nitetrain8603 » Wed Oct 7, 2015 3:17 am

I expect strides to be made, but I don't forsee them firing Byron Scott unless he does something really dumb. With that said, I don't believe Byron is the guy to lead this team long term.
FrozenIceCubes
Banned User

Post#17 » by FrozenIceCubes » Wed Oct 7, 2015 3:24 am

I don't see how the Lakers let this season go south without some sort of alternative. Mitch and Jim have a lot of hopes for this team as far as the team being competitive and the young trio being good enough to be the next big 3...
Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,519

Post#18 » by Michael Lucky » Wed Oct 7, 2015 4:10 am

There are two rookies and one sophmore in your starting lineup. It wouldn't matter if Phil Jackson was coaching this team, you're not going to get to 35 wins. Firing a coach based on record when the organization knows you're rebuilding is simply dysfunctional.
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,826

Post#19 » by TyCobb » Wed Oct 7, 2015 4:46 am

They're not going to fire him when they're clearly in a develop and rebuild process.
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
Tee212
Lead Assistant
And1: 423

Post#20 » by Tee212 » Wed Oct 7, 2015 6:05 am

are you one of those new guys that creates a new over reaction thread when the lakers lose a game or when kobe hogs the ball like thats breaking news?

ill wait for a new thread titled should the lakers give scott a bonus if the lakers starts off hot?

Return to Los Angeles Lakers