ImageImageImageImageImage

The Larry Nance Jr. Thread

Moderators: Danny Darko, Kilroy, TyCobb

aaron_gray
Analyst
And1: 979

Re: The Larry Nance Jr. Thread 

Post#201 » by aaron_gray » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:48 am

Wouldn't be a debate with miles without a lot of straw man mixed with some hardcore flaming. For what it's worth, Randle and Nance are better than each other on one side of the floor, but what Randle brings on his side is unfortunately more valuable. It's not really fair because what Nance does is selfless v.s. what Randle does gets him all the credit, but it's the truth.

In terms of resigning though, I do agree with Miles. Nance will for sure be available on the dirt cheap and what he brings is worth so much more than the contract he'll get.
TyCobb wrote:Embiid at peak value after reaching a new maturity level.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,537

Post#202 » by stan francisco » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:10 pm

Randle is a 20-15 beast in the making. Nance is not. I love Randle's game. If Randle did all the little things Nance does, we could skip LBJ and resign Randle, almost.

But he doesn't yet, and he picks up cheap fouls, and so the team works better as a team with Nance right now. Highest upside? Randle? No doubt. Most value on the court right now regardless of price tags? Nance.

If we count in the price tag, it's not a question. I'd love to keep both but it depends on Randle's sticker.
PG: D Lo / Reaves / Vincent(IL) / JHS
SG: Christie / Dinwiddie / Lewis / Mays
SF: LBJ / Prince / Reddish / Windler
PF: Rui / Vando(IL) / LBJ
CTR: AD / Hayes / Wood

Modern era NBA titles:
LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,410

Post#203 » by Slava » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:13 pm

aaron_gray wrote:Wouldn't be a debate with miles without a lot of straw man mixed with some hardcore flaming. For what it's worth, Randle and Nance are better than each other on one side of the floor, but what Randle brings on his side is unfortunately more valuable. It's not really fair because what Nance does is selfless v.s. what Randle does gets him all the credit, but it's the truth.

In terms of resigning though, I do agree with Miles. Nance will for sure be available on the dirt cheap and what he brings is worth so much more than the contract he'll get.

I don't get the selfless tag. If abdicating responsibility is selfless its much easier to be selfless than taking on the burden of trying and failing.

You can look very pretty on advanced stats if you keep doing the basic easy to do things like put-backs, dunks etc consistently well while offloading the burden of initiative on someone else's shoulders.

Over the past few months after watching some games, I've come to appreciate what Randle, Ingram and Clarkson do. Its not selfish that they take the burden of creating offense on a team where more than one player is happy to play hot potato with the ball when a basket is needed. It takes a bit of courage to try and fail, that comes with turnovers and low FG% that make them look poorer with advanced stats but its essential to win basketball games.

I do however understand the attraction of Nance because if we are successful with the free agent plan, at least in limited minutes him and Kuzma to a greater extent fit better than Randle and Clarkson because we will have more talented players taking on that offensive responsibility and initiative.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
LakersLegacy
Head Coach
And1: 3,868

Post#204 » by LakersLegacy » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:57 pm

Our core to attact free agents should be Ingram, Zo, Kuzma, Namce and Luke (our secret weapon against the Warrriors he coached to 39-2)

Everyone else should be for sale. Clarkson (the future Lou Williams), Draymond Green wanna-be Randle, all-star Lopez rental, KCP rental, Zubac-the Tupac of his country. And cash considerations!!!

And we are going to extend Deng then swiftly stretch provision so he will get us for 3.3 mil for a decade as reminder to keep that Buss brother away.

Nance can dunk on anyone. Can’t wait for Lonzo to throw more alley oops to him once we get things figured out.
aaron_gray
Analyst
And1: 979

Post#205 » by aaron_gray » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:01 pm

Slava wrote:
I don't get the selfless tag. If abdicating responsibility is selfless its much easier to be selfless than taking on the burden of trying and failing.

You can look very pretty on advanced stats if you keep doing the basic easy to do things like put-backs, dunks etc consistently well while offloading the burden of initiative on someone else's shoulders.

Over the past few months after watching some games, I've come to appreciate what Randle, Ingram and Clarkson do. Its not selfish that they take the burden of creating offense on a team where more than one player is happy to play hot potato with the ball when a basket is needed. It takes a bit of courage to try and fail, that comes with turnovers and low FG% that make them look poorer with advanced stats but its essential to win basketball games.

I do however understand the attraction of Nance because if we are successful with the free agent plan, at least in limited minutes him and Kuzma to a greater extent fit better than Randle and Clarkson because we will have more talented players taking on that offensive responsibility and initiative.

I meant more like defensively, like getting deflections, challenging shots vertically, running p/r defense to perfection as a big man who has to guard two people at once, etc. stuff that doesn't show up in the box score outside of maybe plus minus

I do agree tho that the dude has to consistently make open shots before we anoint him anything
TyCobb wrote:Embiid at peak value after reaching a new maturity level.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,537

Post#206 » by stan francisco » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:49 pm

I don't know but I think the lack of appreciation for Nance's intangibles is the thing. It's the same exact thing as with players like Luke, Fox, Mad Dog, Artest, Fisher. To us who appreciate having one dirty dawg diving to the floor, it's annoying to get "proven wrong" by stats by someone who is seemingly unwilling to appreciate not only that dirty work but also the point we're trying to make. I usually agree with you Slava and I agree with most of what you wrote in the post above. But just because I appreciate Nance doesn't mean I don't have the ability to appreciate when JC creates his own shot. Take a page from that book, it's not a mutually exclusive scenario here. And its not personal.
PG: D Lo / Reaves / Vincent(IL) / JHS
SG: Christie / Dinwiddie / Lewis / Mays
SF: LBJ / Prince / Reddish / Windler
PF: Rui / Vando(IL) / LBJ
CTR: AD / Hayes / Wood

Modern era NBA titles:
LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,804

Post#207 » by TyCobb » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:48 pm

Read on Twitter

8-)
Read more, learn more, change your posts.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers