ImageImageImageImageImage

Thank you, Kobe.

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 40,970

Re: Thank you, Kobe. 

Post#61 » by Sedale Threatt » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:35 pm

Slava wrote:Quite honestly there are feelings that I cannot put into words, this is one of them. The biggest thing I've taken from Kobe is to cherish the process as much if not more than the result in anything I try to accomplish in life. That's my life lesson.

Yup. I'm almost feeling a bit sad in that I wonder if I really enjoyed the whole journey. You get so hung up on the end result -- winning the championship, why the F is he shooting so much, etc. -- that you forget to enjoy everything else. At least, I know I did. It's just a tough, tough thing to stay in that moment. That's why people give up everything they own and go live in monasteries.
Sedale Threatt
RealGM

Post#62 » by Sedale Threatt » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:37 pm

Also, I'll never, ever forgive myself for staying home to play online poker instead of heading out to watch the 81-point game. (I didn't have League Pass at the time.)
ranlamjon
Banned User
And1: 56

Post#63 » by ranlamjon » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:18 am

From a Warrior's fan:

Bye Kobe, HOF player, one of the top 2 SG's EVER, a killa on the court, The Black MAMBA!!!!

Your GREATNESS is well documented........

Enjoy the next chapter of your life.

Fans ALL OVER the world and the NBA thank you for 20 incredible years.

Dueces (with respect)!!!!!!!!!!!!
Goudelock
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,866

Post#64 » by Goudelock » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:21 am

Sedale Threatt wrote:Also, I'll never, ever forgive myself for staying home to play online poker instead of heading out to watch the 81-point game. (I didn't have League Pass at the time.)

Wow. That must've been one kickass game of online poker.
Devin Booker wrote:Bro.
Mamba Mentality
RealGM
And1: 19,536

Post#65 » by Mamba Mentality » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:24 am

Sedale Threatt wrote:Also, I'll never, ever forgive myself for staying home to play online poker instead of heading out to watch the 81-point game. (I didn't have League Pass at the time.)

I understand that the Lakers were terrible back then, but online poker over a prime Kobe? C'mon man.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#66 » by Slava » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:25 am

I don't think there were NBA app alerts back then either. So unless your friends text you out you check the score, you wouldn't know something amazing is happening.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
TheHartBreakKid
General Manager
And1: 4,316

Post#67 » by TheHartBreakKid » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:01 am

Sedale Threatt wrote:
Slava wrote:Quite honestly there are feelings that I cannot put into words, this is one of them. The biggest thing I've taken from Kobe is to cherish the process as much if not more than the result in anything I try to accomplish in life. That's my life lesson.

Yup. I'm almost feeling a bit sad in that I wonder if I really enjoyed the whole journey. You get so hung up on the end result -- winning the championship, why the F is he shooting so much, etc. -- that you forget to enjoy everything else. At least, I know I did. It's just a tough, tough thing to stay in that moment. That's why people give up everything they own and go live in monasteries.

Man, This post kind of hit it right on the mark for me....combined with it finally officially sinking in. This whole time I've been so excited about this game, logically thinking that it was the right time, and that he deserves this, and the franchise will finally move on etc etc. But now, couple hours before the game, for the first time I'm legit very sad. A combination of irrational "basketball won't be the same" thinking combined with "I should have enjoyed it more as it was happening" feelings.

It's really ridiculous, when I really think about it, as I'm usually not a person who gets emotional about anything, let alone things out of my control about people I don't know, but I guess that's the power of sports. The Lakers really mean this much to me, and Kobe has been the Lakers for me since I started watching basketball. You older guys have seen Magic come and go....for my generation of Laker fans, Kobe leaving is kind of uncharted territory. I have no doubt the next Laker MegaStar will be here sooner or later, whose career I'll follow as closely as the Magic fans followed Kobes, and so on, but it definitely feels like uncharted territory, atleast right now.
TheHartBreakKid
General Manager
And1: 4,316

Post#68 » by TheHartBreakKid » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:05 am

ranlamjon wrote:From a Warrior's fan:

Bye Kobe, HOF player, one of the top 2 SG's EVER, a killa on the court, The Black MAMBA!!!!

Your GREATNESS is well documented........

Enjoy the next chapter of your life.

Fans ALL OVER the world and the NBA thank you for 20 incredible years.

Dueces (with respect)!!!!!!!!!!!!

Respect to you guys and hope your team finishes it off tonight. Enjoy this awesome run and appreciate it while you can...next thing you know, if you're lucky Curry is washed up and finishing his career for the Warriors....if you're unlucky he's washed up and finishing his career for another team.

(I'm going to stop acting like a loved one is on his death bed and stop being a little girl after this post... just had to vent some sadness with the Laker fam)
oldschooled
Veteran
And1: 2,702

Post#69 » by oldschooled » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:16 am

Dammit!
Frank Dux wrote:
LeChosen One wrote:Doc is right. The Warriors shouldn't get any respect unless they repeat to be honest.

According to your logic, Tim Duncan doesn't deserve any respect.
Jedi32
Head Coach
And1: 6,285

Post#70 » by Jedi32 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:19 am

sad how some losers on the general board are still trying to take shots and downplay a great career.
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#71 » by Spens1 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:57 am

What can you say at a time like this, he's been with us for 20 years, I've grown up as a laker fan with him as a constant, as a killer on some of the greatest teams of all time. Its been an absolute rollercoaster, from the highs in the early 2000's with him and Shaq, the low's in that mid 2000 era. Then again with our late 2000's run. The man has done things one can only dream about and he's more than earned his place as one of the greatest players of all time. Its funny because with him he could amaze you and at the same time frustrate you. You will be wondering, man, why is he chucking, and then he pulls off something amazing and it shows how much he believes in himself, and that belief makes you believe really.

Anyway Salute Kobe, you will go down as one of the greatest lakers, and greatest players of all time for sure, whose legacy who will live on for generations to come.
addygrace
Sophomore
And1: 46

Post#72 » by addygrace » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:24 am

My favorite player of all time. Thanks Kobe, and goodbye.
I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can't accept not trying Michael Jordan
gts1
Starter
And1: 1,232

Post#73 » by gts1 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:38 am

I was doing fine until the Lamar Odom cameo in the goodbye video

My sister is at the game, sitting in the 300s behind a Utah fan who's booing overtime Kobe touches the ball. Her last text said she might need me to bail her out of jail tonight...lol
Wife: "you haven't heard a single thing I said"
Me: that's a funny way to start a conversation...
T-wOlvEs 420
Pro Prospect
And1: 165

Post#74 » by T-wOlvEs 420 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:23 am

Wolves fan here
Sad day for the NBA, league won't be the same without you. Thank you for all the memories, Kobes my second favorite player in my lifetime, right behind of course KG.. Thanks Kobe.

Sent from my SM-G900T using RealGM Forums mobile app
Sedale Threatt
RealGM

Post#75 » by Sedale Threatt » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:05 am

He f*cking deserved that
PKABOOICU
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,128

Post#76 » by PKABOOICU » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:20 am

THANK YOU KOBE!
ArC_man
Veteran
And1: 910

Post#77 » by ArC_man » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:22 am

What a storybook ending, that made the whole season worth it.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#78 » by bondom34 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:25 am

Thanks, that was the game of the year Kobe.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
MistyMountain20
General Manager
And1: 7,166

Post#79 » by MistyMountain20 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:26 am

What a game, what a career. Thanks Kobe.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#80 » by Kilroy » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:29 am

Here's something I worked up to kind of try to express the facets of Kobe for me personally...
Wasn't going to post it... On one hand it's all kind of silly because it's just a game... But what a beautiful game... What a transcendent feature of that game.

I'm a Magic and Kareem man... That was my childhood... I forgot about basketball when Magic retired... Then I heard we got Shaq AND Kobe... This skinny high-school kid that everyone was either bashing or calling the next big thing... I started watching again, I think because I sensed something about Kobe... I knew what Shaq was. He was exactly the kind of player I liked. Big, dominant, aggressive, fun...
But there was something about Kobe too. From day one, I had no doubt he would play a big part in championships for the Lakers...
Then we got Phil and almost immediately, we didn't just have a basketball team or a good basketball team... We had a team that was SUPPOSED to win Championships. Many of them...

I never saw Kobe play in person. It didn't seem that important at the time. I didn't really like Staples. I was a bigger fan of Shaq... I was just finishing up college and starting a career... By 2001, I was working a couple blocks from Staples. Do you remember all the protest marches going on in downtown that year? It was almost fitting that they had a championship parade... I left work unannounced and walked down the parade route towards staples until the buses came to me... I stood there holding up 8 fingers for how many championships they won in LA... Kobe saw me and grabbed Shaq and pointed at me. The bus stopped and he yelled something at me that I couldn't understand a couple times... Then the parade went on. I was in awe of the whole experience... Not really about Kobe... It was just a culminating moment of being a Laker fan for all those years since age 6... I really didn't know what to do with myself. My dad went to the "We're going to win next year too" Riley parade... This was mine.

I went to the next one too... It was way more crowded and less 'intimate'... But meant something too...

My dad stopped being a Laker fan when Kobe was accused of rape... He moved to Texas and became a Spurs fan... Always had been a Duncan fan... Never really understood that... But they ended up boring him out of basketball altogether...

But even if I never really valued him, I had Kobe...

I was never that enamored with MJ... Compared to my idol Magic, MJ's game is boring... It's like a Manic version of DrJ's game... Even more selfish... And MJ got those friendly whistles too...

So Kobe's scoring dominance was a little lost on me... I was a Laker fan... But what I loved about Kobe was the fact that in the final seconds of big games, he was the Iceman. Final shot after final complicated, unrealistic, asinine shot... Inexplicably went in.
Like drugs...

To me the Dallas game was the greatest single scoring game of his career... 81 was almost anticlimactic to me. After Dallas, I knew he was going to go after Wilt and get at least 80... When 81 happened, I was like... Of course.
But 62 in 3 quarters against a Mavericks team that would go to the finals that year and won 60 games was just way more impressive to me...
Kobe had 28 40+ games that year... 10 50+ games... That's just nuts.

After that... The string of games where he focused on being Steve Nash with Nash on the team and was a threat to get double digit assists ever night was an enduring sign of his greatness to me as well.

So now it's basically over...

I'm realizing I'm going to miss "Kobe Bryant" a lot more than I thought I would...

There were times when the whole 'Kobe thing'... The insane competitiveness, the unyielding demands on team mates, the pathological capacity to call his own number in any situation... All that.. Just seemed a bit silly.

But I realize that silliness is exactly what I'm going to miss. Maybe it's outdated... The league has moved on... Sports in general seem to have moved on from that level of competition.

I think maybe they've left me and Kobe behind. I'm Ok with that.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...

Return to Los Angeles Lakers