Community Thread LXI: The President We Deserve

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Re: Community Thread LXI: The President We Deserve 

Post#1221 » by Kilroy » Tue Oct 2, 2018 5:12 am

Football has completely lost me... That's not a political thing or any other reaction... Just that I can't find a single thing to get interested in this season... I'm not quite full time in OC yet so maybe the Rams will get to me eventually... But Damn...
I feel nothing when I see clips on tv... College football too. It's boring to me now....
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,445

Post#1222 » by Slava » Tue Oct 2, 2018 5:24 am

Its been the exact opposite for me now, it used to be that you need a top 3 QB to win in any season. Now the parity is so great that even average QBs can sufficiently take you to the superbowl or win it. The week to week variation is so good and the game is unpredictable in a good way.

College football has gotten absolutely boring for sure. Some of the power houses haven't been great and Alabama's dominance has rendered it too predictable.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#1223 » by Kilroy » Thu Oct 4, 2018 5:43 pm

Things just got real for ol Suge...
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
SlimShady83
General Manager
And1: 1,155

Re: Around The NBA X 

Post#1224 » by SlimShady83 » Sat Oct 6, 2018 2:16 am

OFF TOPIC QUESTION

I was going to post a thread and ask this, but figured I won't and post here :)

Q) Do any of you do weights for bulking up? Not cutting/slimming down etc

I'm a skinny ass white dude and been meaning to get into weights, but working 2 jobs and having little time or when I do i haven't been keen to do so - but wanting to get into some sort of routine and add around 10-15kg I'm 68kg atm 5ft7 so yeh short as well lols

Anyone follow any routine and can post a link at all?

I'm looking at 5x5 stronglifts for strength first - then adding muscle later? worth it
Bring back Defense
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1225 » by Slava » Sat Oct 6, 2018 12:56 pm

EZ GG LOSER wrote:OFF TOPIC QUESTION

I'm a skinny ass white dude and been meaning to get into weights, but working 2 jobs and having little time or when I do i haven't been keen to do so - but wanting to get into some sort of routine and add around 10-15kg I'm 68kg atm 5ft7 so yeh short as well lols

I'm looking at 5x5 stronglifts for strength first - then adding muscle later? worth it

I'd start with 5x5, that's what I did. However if you have time constraints and need some guidance, I'd find a local crossfit gym and go there. Your workouts will be planned ahead, there's a time limit for training duration and there's people around to teach you form and hold you accountable. If you lift with improper form, you'll get injured and lose interest.

However gaining quality muscle is only less than half about weights and more about drinking less alcohol and eating well.
SlimShady83
General Manager

Post#1226 » by SlimShady83 » Sat Oct 6, 2018 2:36 pm

Slava wrote:

I'd start with 5x5, that's what I did. However if you have time constraints and need some guidance, I'd find a local crossfit gym and go there. Your workouts will be planned ahead, there's a time limit for training duration and there's people around to teach you form and hold you accountable. If you lift with improper form, you'll get injured and lose interest.

However gaining quality muscle is only less than half about weights and more about drinking less alcohol and eating well.

Cheers .... Yeh I'm already cutting down on sugar and once i get full time at work - fingers crossed I'll be stopping the grog on the wknds and gettint into it - Have own weights at home so no need for gym - I'm saving for house/unit so don't want to waste money atm, all going towards that. I don't want to get too big, just enough to show that I'm working out and looking good;)

I'll do stronglifts then look into something else - I've done stronglifts b4, but in the past i couldn't eat what was required, but this time around I'm going all in-regards to eating
Bring back Defense
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 5,388

Post#1227 » by Danny Darko » Sun Oct 7, 2018 4:58 am

just me or is venom better than most marvel movies?
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,562

Post#1228 » by hermes » Mon Oct 8, 2018 10:50 pm

i'm usually in on all the comic movies but i have no desire to see venom, not sure why
Sofa King
RealGM
And1: 3,034

Post#1229 » by Sofa King » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:40 pm

hermes wrote:i'm usually in on all the comic movies but i have no desire to see venom, not sure why

You should. I think you will like it.
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 40,943

Post#1230 » by Sedale Threatt » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:14 pm

Slava wrote:

Yeah, I'm far from an expert, but really honing in on your diet feels like 80 percent of the battle to me.

I just had a little two-month swing, trying to put on a little muscle and then cutting this month in advance of a trip, where I really bulked up noticeably. Nothing Hulk-like or anything, but definitely more than I usually do, and I'd put it all down to really focusing on making sure I get enough protein AND carbs per day. I have a bad habit of skimping on the latter, but a trainer I had for a bit really drilled into my head the importance of both.

That's the hardest part of a routine to me, by far. I will rarely skip or miss a work out once I'm in a groove, and alcohol isn't an issue for me. If I never had to drink another drop the rest of my life, I could do that no problem. But avoiding all the junk food I adore is a massive, massive challenge. The fact that I like to smoke grass makes it that much harder.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1231 » by Slava » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:31 pm

Sedale Threatt wrote:
Slava wrote:

Yeah, I'm far from an expert, but really honing in on your diet feels like 80 percent of the battle to me.

I just had a little two-month swing, trying to put on a little muscle and then cutting this month in advance of a trip, where I really bulked up noticeably. Nothing Hulk-like or anything, but definitely more than I usually do, and I'd put it all down to really focusing on making sure I get enough protein AND carbs per day. I have a bad habit of skimping on the latter, but a trainer I had for a bit really drilled into my head the importance of both.

That's the hardest part of a routine to me, by far. I will rarely skip or miss a work out once I'm in a groove, and alcohol isn't an issue for me. If I never had to drink another drop the rest of my life, I could do that no problem. But avoiding all the junk food I adore is a massive, massive challenge. The fact that I like to smoke grass makes it that much harder.

Yeah, I had the double strike of depression and ibs diagnoses a couple of years ago and that's pretty much made it impossible for me to eat anything but meat, fish, a select few veggies and sushi if I'm eating out. The restrictive diet might not be fun but made a huge difference for me. I still struggle to drop below 12-14% body fat but if I can stay there and add muscle I'd take that.
Sedale Threatt
RealGM

Post#1232 » by Sedale Threatt » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:44 pm

Slava wrote:
Sedale Threatt wrote:
Slava wrote:

Yeah, I had the double strike of depression and ibs diagnoses a couple of years ago and that's pretty much made it impossible for me to eat anything but meat, fish, a select few veggies and sushi if I'm eating out. The restrictive diet might not be fun but made a huge difference for me. I still struggle to drop below 12-14% body fat but if I can stay there and add muscle I'd take that.

I don't know how people do it. I'm hesitant to say genetics, given that pretty much anybody who signs on for a superhero movie gets into supersonic shape. But I've made a couple of honest runs to get down in that neighborhood -- it'll never stick given how much I love food -- and not even close. I got down to a somewhat muscular 175 last February, as light as I've been in 20-plus years and pretty damn good at 6 foot tall, and still no abs.

Then again, I remember asking my dad, who was a big-time weight lifter back in his prime, if he ever had a six pack, and he told me he used to get so lean during the summer that you could see veins in his abs. He did everything on his own, but I really think for most people you'd need to get your macros down to the gram, and I'm just not interested enough in this stuff to go to those lengths. Especially when, as stated, I'm never going to be able to stay at that level with how I like to eat.

But I'm in the same boat: I'd be very happy with 185, which would put me under 20 percent body fat, with a little more bulk up top. Eat right during the week, splurge on weekends. At the very least, I still look pretty good compared to most dudes my age.
SlimShady83
General Manager

Post#1233 » by SlimShady83 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:44 pm

Sedale Threatt wrote:
Slava wrote:
Sedale Threatt wrote:

I don't know how people do it. I'm hesitant to say genetics, given that pretty much anybody who signs on for a superhero movie gets into supersonic shape. But I've made a couple of honest runs to get down in that neighborhood -- it'll never stick given how much I love food -- and not even close. I got down to a somewhat muscular 175 last February, as light as I've been in 20-plus years and pretty damn good at 6 foot tall, and still no abs.

Then again, I remember asking my dad, who was a big-time weight lifter back in his prime, if he ever had a six pack, and he told me he used to get so lean during the summer that you could see veins in his abs. He did everything on his own, but I really think for most people you'd need to get your macros down to the gram, and I'm just not interested enough in this stuff to go to those lengths. Especially when, as stated, I'm never going to be able to stay at that level with how I like to eat.

But I'm in the same boat: I'd be very happy with 185, which would put me under 20 percent body fat, with a little more bulk up top. Eat right during the week, splurge on weekends. At the very least, I still look pretty good compared to most dudes my age.

I just did a medical for full time at work, once If Or once I get full time at work I'll be getting into Stronglifts 5x5 and complete it.

My upper body is weak, and I know I'll fail at bench press and overhead press first, as I've done this in the past, but in the past couldn't eat as much as I need to which is around 2800cal per day for me to bulk I average around 2000cal if I'm lucky lols

But once I'm full time and have one less thing to worry about, I'll get into 5x5 and report back after 3 months probably late Jan and show results. Then I'll probably get into Fierce five I think it's called I saw it on bodybuilding.com but one step at at time

don't want to get too big, just another 10kg or so which I think is around 20lbs?
Bring back Defense
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1234 » by Slava » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:48 pm

Sedale Threatt wrote:
Slava wrote:
Sedale Threatt wrote:

Vascularity definitely has a big genetic component to it but I've seen guys get into six pack territory by meticulously tracking meals and calories on a daily basis. It requires a ton of discipline, meal planning and benefit of time to spend on it.

That's just never been possible for me or at least my motivation doesn't extend that far.
Sedale Threatt
RealGM

Post#1235 » by Sedale Threatt » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:01 pm

Slava wrote:
Sedale Threatt wrote:
Slava wrote:

Vascularity definitely has a big genetic component to it but I've seen guys get into six pack territory by meticulously tracking meals and calories on a daily basis. It requires a ton of discipline, meal planning and benefit of time to spend on it.

That's just never been possible for me or at least my motivation doesn't extend that far.

Same. I can get to a point where I'm working out six times a week and following a clean meal plan pretty closely without much trouble, but that next level of discipline is beyond me for any significant period of time. Just cooking and eating takes up such a huge amount of time, let alone tracking everything down to the calorie and figuring out exactly what your individual body needs.

Right now I'm on a heavy duty cut -- egg whites, ground turkey, chicken, fish and asparagus with two 1/2 cup servings of brown rice and oatmeal -- and the longest I can go is about 10 days before I need a cheat meal with actual flavor.

My dad was just next level in that regard. When he died, we found old notebooks of his tracking pretty much every lift he'd ever had since the mid 1970s or so. When he was splurging, he could have a small portion of Doritos every day, and take about two weeks to finish a bag, whereas I can't buy that stuff because it will be gone in one sitting.

I really should be 250-plus, and undoubtedly would be without growing up with that example. I don't like doing any of this stuff, but it's been instilled in me to some degree.
Sedale Threatt
RealGM

Post#1236 » by Sedale Threatt » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:09 pm

EZ GG LOSER wrote:
Sedale Threatt wrote:
Slava wrote:

I just did a medical for full time at work, once If Or once I get full time at work I'll be getting into Stronglifts 5x5 and complete it.

My upper body is weak, and I know I'll fail at bench press and overhead press first, as I've done this in the past, but in the past couldn't eat as much as I need to which is around 2800cal per day for me to bulk I average around 2000cal if I'm lucky lols

But once I'm full time and have one less thing to worry about, I'll get into 5x5 and report back after 3 months probably late Jan and show results. Then I'll probably get into Fierce five I think it's called I saw it on bodybuilding.com but one step at at time

don't want to get too big, just another 10kg or so which I think is around 20lbs?

Have never tried 5x5 -- Olympic exercises always F me up -- but I've heard good things. I know that's how James McAvoy got ripped for Split and Glass. I've always had trouble bulking up in the chest, but I had really good success recently doing nothing but incline presses (bar and DB), flat presses and dips. I'm going to go back to that here in a few weeks.

The food really is the key part though. I've always had a tough time getting my head around the fact that you need to eat more than less if you want to put on weight, but it's a fact. Those plans are actually OK; steak and baked potatoes and peanut butter sandwiches and protein shakes and eggs/oatmeal. Not my favorite but definitely doable. It's the cutting part that's brutal.
SlimShady83
General Manager

Post#1237 » by SlimShady83 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:20 pm

Slava wrote:
Sedale Threatt wrote:
Slava wrote:

No i'm a newbie to weights exercise, even at my age. I tried strong lifts 5x5 b4 once and got up to around the 3month mark b4 I got sick and didn't get back into it.

My best lifts were

Squats = 110kg
Deadlifts = 160kg <> my fav exercise lol
Bench = 50kg including
overhead press = 50kg
bent over rows -80kg

all including 20kg barbell - some people include that some don't.

I'll be eating mostly just that, but instead of crappy oatmeal I'll be having wheatbix for breakfest/scrambled eggs etc

the hardest part for me is finding the the time to eat, especially now that I work 2 jobs 3 days a week and I have to get up 5:30am last thing on my mind is eating food lols it's mostly let's sleep in and hit the snooze button
Bring back Defense
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1238 » by Slava » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:33 pm

If I'm ever lazy and in doubt if I want to work out on a given day, I check spotify for the podcast episodes. Today its Jeff Van Gundy on Lowe post, so I'm heading to the gym. :lol:
Sedale Threatt
RealGM

Post#1239 » by Sedale Threatt » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:22 pm

Thank god for streaming services, too. Cardio is almost impossible for me without it.
Wavy Q
RealGM
And1: 2,390

Post#1240 » by Wavy Q » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:10 pm

I've gained so much weight since starting grad school, havent seen the inside of a gym in like 2 years.

Kinda depressing tbh.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers