ImageImageImageImageImage

Community Thread LXI: The President We Deserve

Moderators: Danny Darko, TyCobb, Kilroy

User avatar
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
Posts: 16,543
And1: 7,215
Joined: Jul 10, 2006
Location: The Motel 9 in Vegas
       

Re: Community Thread LXI: The President We Deserve 

Post#1501 » by Kilroy » Wed Jul 3, 2019 5:12 pm

Sedale Threatt wrote:
Kilroy wrote:They seem all about personal attention rather than recognizing how much their fans place their national pride in them... It's not just a USWNT thing either, it's kind of become a problem for all our national teams. Like all the players want to distance themselves from US policy but still want the fun of playing for the US team.


what are you talking about ...


I mean, you either see it, or you don't...
Adrian "ThaClippers" Wojnarowski
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
Posts: 35,114
And1: 17,563
Joined: Feb 06, 2007
Location: Clearing space in the trophy case.

Re: Community Thread LXI: The President We Deserve 

Post#1502 » by Sedale Threatt » Wed Jul 3, 2019 5:15 pm

Kilroy wrote:
Sedale Threatt wrote:
Kilroy wrote:They seem all about personal attention rather than recognizing how much their fans place their national pride in them... It's not just a USWNT thing either, it's kind of become a problem for all our national teams. Like all the players want to distance themselves from US policy but still want the fun of playing for the US team.


what are you talking about ...


I mean, you either see it, or you don't...


lol, great answer. This is just classic old-man-shaking-his-fist-at-clouds nonsense.
"Is Donald Trump an intellectual? Trust me. I’m, like, a smart person" - Donald J. Trump

"They misunderestimated me" - George W. Bush

"I have never felt more American than when we all hate (Trump) together" - Dave Chappelle
User avatar
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
Posts: 16,543
And1: 7,215
Joined: Jul 10, 2006
Location: The Motel 9 in Vegas
       

Re: Community Thread LXI: The President We Deserve 

Post#1503 » by Kilroy » Wed Jul 3, 2019 5:17 pm

Sedale Threatt wrote:
Kilroy wrote:
Sedale Threatt wrote:
what are you talking about ...


I mean, you either see it, or you don't...


lol, great answer. This is just classic old-man-shaking-his-fist-at-clouds nonsense.


You start with a disingenuous claim of ignorance and end with an insult... Eat a bag of dicks.
Adrian "ThaClippers" Wojnarowski
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
Posts: 35,114
And1: 17,563
Joined: Feb 06, 2007
Location: Clearing space in the trophy case.

Re: Community Thread LXI: The President We Deserve 

Post#1504 » by Sedale Threatt » Wed Jul 3, 2019 5:29 pm

Kilroy wrote:
Sedale Threatt wrote:
Kilroy wrote:
I mean, you either see it, or you don't...


lol, great answer. This is just classic old-man-shaking-his-fist-at-clouds nonsense.


You start with a disingenuous claim of ignorance and end with an insult... Eat a bag of dicks.


:rofl2:
"Is Donald Trump an intellectual? Trust me. I’m, like, a smart person" - Donald J. Trump

"They misunderestimated me" - George W. Bush

"I have never felt more American than when we all hate (Trump) together" - Dave Chappelle
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 57,607
And1: 28,767
Joined: Oct 15, 2006
Location: København
     

Re: Community Thread LXI: The President We Deserve 

Post#1505 » by Slava » Wed Jul 3, 2019 9:17 pm

Kilroy wrote:
Slava wrote:
Kilroy wrote:
Women's sports are different than Men's... No one would know who she was if it wasn't for the national team... No Nike, no Samsung, no endorsements... Hell, maybe no club.
The USWNT put US Women's soccer on the map. Without it and their success, there's a real possibility, there would be no US Club league for women... The endorsement deals certainly wouldn't be there.

But say your right... Say she doesn't need the national team... Say like you are saying that she doesn't even need America to be where she is... Super big leap of logic, but OK.

Then why do it? Why go out of your way, risk injury and all those endorsement dollars, just to represent a Country you don't need, or agree with?... Was it just to take a knee during the anthem?

Because she does need it... Because the protest is at best a hollow gesture, and at worse a contrived one, designed to elevate her brand.
USWNT is where all the endorsement money is for women's soccer. They can become global stars on that stage...
Which again, makes you wonder about that protest... Playing to the foreign audience?


I don't understand why you accuse her of having an ulterior motive for playing with the national team. Its perfectly reasonable to want to play in a world cup or the olympics because they are the pinnacle of their respective sports. East German athletes participated in the Olympics under their flag even if they weren't entirely happy about the soviet administration. As a sports person you have a shelf life.

She is 33 now and she has been appearing for the U16 team at USA level since 2002 so she wouldn't even be able to change nationalities and then go through a probation period if she wanted to change national representation.

She has been protesting with the anthem since 2015 even when she represents her club so its not even Trump related or playing up to an international media. She's also been vocal about equal wages for female athletes and fought the USWNT for it and won. She clearly feels strongly about the challenges to the rights of people like her and she chooses to protest it. It doesn't mean she hates the country.


I'm saying there's clear duplicitous-ness there... Call it an ulterior motive or whatever you want... Like you said, she wants to have her cake and eat it too... She wants to play for the USA National Team, but she wants to Protest USA while she does it... She sacrifices nothing for her protest, in fact I think it's likely that she actually benefits from it.

I'm for protesting what you disagree with... She should definitely continue to do that if she truly believes in it, but I think doing it in the the Team USA uniform weakens her protests validity. It opens her up to the criticism I outlined here...

Like working for Sea Shepard and eating whale meat tacos, because they're good and you don't want to give them up.

That said, my sentiments weren't really focused on Rapinoe alone... She's maybe the trigger for it, but I just think this team has sort of lost the point of what they're doing there... They seem all about personal attention rather than recognizing how much their fans place their national pride in them... It's not just a USWNT thing either, it's kind of become a problem for all our national teams. Like all the players want to distance themselves from US policy but still want the fun of playing for the US team.

So watching them win, just isn't all that interesting anymore.


This is unfortunate and as someone who's spent the better part of my adult life in the US and not being an American citizen, I'd love to root for this team and characters like Rapinoe and before her, Mia Hamm. I admire everything about them.

I think you have a very misguided view of what citizenship means. The only thing harder than changing your country of allegiance is changing your family and who you are related to. Its like saying Adam Lanza's brother denounces killing kids in Sandy Hook but he's still keeping his last name, so no its not like working for KFC and loving veganism or any such analogy. Citizenship is not employment.

It takes a lot less pride in folding shop and moving onto a better country because you decided the problems where you live are too big for you to fight in your lifetime. I have done that not once but twice.

It takes a lot more courage for Rapinoe to represent her country and still fight for change from within because she believes in the country and she wants the country and its citizens especially the minorities to have a better tomorrow.

You don't always have to face personal loss to challenge the status quo. Sure it makes Kaepernick more magnanimous for having given up his livelihood for his beliefs but the lack of it doesn't make Rapinoe or anyone else who's fighting for a cause any inferior.
:king:
User avatar
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
Posts: 16,543
And1: 7,215
Joined: Jul 10, 2006
Location: The Motel 9 in Vegas
       

Re: Community Thread LXI: The President We Deserve 

Post#1506 » by Kilroy » Wed Jul 3, 2019 10:07 pm

Slava wrote:
Kilroy wrote:
Slava wrote:
I don't understand why you accuse her of having an ulterior motive for playing with the national team. Its perfectly reasonable to want to play in a world cup or the olympics because they are the pinnacle of their respective sports. East German athletes participated in the Olympics under their flag even if they weren't entirely happy about the soviet administration. As a sports person you have a shelf life.

She is 33 now and she has been appearing for the U16 team at USA level since 2002 so she wouldn't even be able to change nationalities and then go through a probation period if she wanted to change national representation.

She has been protesting with the anthem since 2015 even when she represents her club so its not even Trump related or playing up to an international media. She's also been vocal about equal wages for female athletes and fought the USWNT for it and won. She clearly feels strongly about the challenges to the rights of people like her and she chooses to protest it. It doesn't mean she hates the country.


I'm saying there's clear duplicitous-ness there... Call it an ulterior motive or whatever you want... Like you said, she wants to have her cake and eat it too... She wants to play for the USA National Team, but she wants to Protest USA while she does it... She sacrifices nothing for her protest, in fact I think it's likely that she actually benefits from it.

I'm for protesting what you disagree with... She should definitely continue to do that if she truly believes in it, but I think doing it in the the Team USA uniform weakens her protests validity. It opens her up to the criticism I outlined here...

Like working for Sea Shepard and eating whale meat tacos, because they're good and you don't want to give them up.

That said, my sentiments weren't really focused on Rapinoe alone... She's maybe the trigger for it, but I just think this team has sort of lost the point of what they're doing there... They seem all about personal attention rather than recognizing how much their fans place their national pride in them... It's not just a USWNT thing either, it's kind of become a problem for all our national teams. Like all the players want to distance themselves from US policy but still want the fun of playing for the US team.

So watching them win, just isn't all that interesting anymore.


This is unfortunate and as someone who's spent the better part of my adult life in the US and not being an American citizen, I'd love to root for this team and characters like Rapinoe and before her, Mia Hamm. I admire everything about them.

I think you have a very misguided view of what citizenship means. The only thing harder than changing your country of allegiance is changing your family and who you are related to. Its like saying Adam Lanza's brother denounces killing kids in Sandy Hook but he's still keeping his last name, so no its not like working for KFC and loving veganism or any such analogy. Citizenship is not employment.

It takes a lot less pride in folding shop and moving onto a better country because you decided the problems where you live are too big for you to fight in your lifetime. I have done that not once but twice.

It takes a lot more courage for Rapinoe to represent her country and still fight for change from within because she believes in the country and she wants the country and its citizens especially the minorities to have a better tomorrow.

You don't always have to face personal loss to challenge the status quo. Sure it makes Kaepernick more magnanimous for having given up his livelihood for his beliefs but the lack of it doesn't make Rapinoe or anyone else who's fighting for a cause any inferior.


I think you’re placing your own agenda over what I’m saying and it’s completely clouded the point for you...
This has nothing to do with anyone’s Citizenship... Not calling her nationality or citizenship into question at all and I have no idea where you’re getting that from...
I’m not questioning her right to protest anything she wants...

All I’m saying is the venue she chose to do it and the method weren’t appropriate and weakened her message along with detracting from my interest in their success.
Adrian "ThaClippers" Wojnarowski
User avatar
hermes
RealGM
Posts: 83,023
And1: 21,774
Joined: Aug 27, 2007
Location: the restaurant at the end of the universe
 

Re: Community Thread LXI: The President We Deserve 

Post#1507 » by hermes » Thu Jul 4, 2019 12:51 am

Chandan wrote:
The Regime wrote:
hermes wrote:they don't have the internet in arkansas?

were you on a middle of nowhere farm or something?



i was in osceola, just do a quick google search and you'll get an idea of what i had to deal with


they have a pizza hut, Subway AND a taco bell for a town of 7000 people?

eh, not too surprising to have big national chains in small towns like that. a few thousand is enough people to support them, there are plenty of smaller towns

my home town has 6,000 people and it has a subway, pizza hut, mcdonalds, and a hardees (and used to have a godfathers)
User avatar
hermes
RealGM
Posts: 83,023
And1: 21,774
Joined: Aug 27, 2007
Location: the restaurant at the end of the universe
 

Re: Community Thread LXI: The President We Deserve 

Post#1508 » by hermes » Thu Jul 4, 2019 1:03 am

Kilroy wrote:
All I’m saying is the venue she chose to do it and the method weren’t appropriate and weakened her message along with detracting from my interest in their success.

if the goal was to get as much attention and discussion as possible than i'd say this was the perfect venue for it, don't get a much bigger stage than this
User avatar
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
Posts: 16,543
And1: 7,215
Joined: Jul 10, 2006
Location: The Motel 9 in Vegas
       

Re: Community Thread LXI: The President We Deserve 

Post#1509 » by Kilroy » Sat Jul 6, 2019 3:24 am

Nuther quake, good one... Do not like.

EDit: Another one in Ridgecrest 7.1... Weird
Adrian "ThaClippers" Wojnarowski
eckoner
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,741
And1: 186
Joined: Jan 16, 2003
Location: West Los Angeles

Re: Community Thread LXI: The President We Deserve 

Post#1510 » by eckoner » Sat Jul 6, 2019 3:36 am

What just happened? Did Kawhi make his decision ...i just felt alot of shaking lol
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
Posts: 35,114
And1: 17,563
Joined: Feb 06, 2007
Location: Clearing space in the trophy case.

Re: Community Thread LXI: The President We Deserve 

Post#1511 » by Sedale Threatt » Sun Jul 7, 2019 4:22 pm

Slava wrote:This is unfortunate and as someone who's spent the better part of my adult life in the US and not being an American citizen, I'd love to root for this team and characters like Rapinoe and before her, Mia Hamm. I admire everything about them.


Rapinoe comes through AGAIN! Calm and cool as could be on that PK...
"Is Donald Trump an intellectual? Trust me. I’m, like, a smart person" - Donald J. Trump

"They misunderestimated me" - George W. Bush

"I have never felt more American than when we all hate (Trump) together" - Dave Chappelle
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 57,607
And1: 28,767
Joined: Oct 15, 2006
Location: København
     

Re: Community Thread LXI: The President We Deserve 

Post#1512 » by Slava » Sun Jul 7, 2019 4:31 pm

The high press is amazing. Netherlands can't get out of their half.
:king:
User avatar
hermes
RealGM
Posts: 83,023
And1: 21,774
Joined: Aug 27, 2007
Location: the restaurant at the end of the universe
 

Re: Community Thread LXI: The President We Deserve 

Post#1513 » by hermes » Sun Jul 7, 2019 4:31 pm

the us ladies smell blood in the water now

lets pour it on!
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
Posts: 35,114
And1: 17,563
Joined: Feb 06, 2007
Location: Clearing space in the trophy case.

Re: Community Thread LXI: The President We Deserve 

Post#1514 » by Sedale Threatt » Sun Jul 7, 2019 4:41 pm

Slava wrote:The high press is amazing. Netherlands can't get out of their half.


You could tell about 10 minutes in they weren't gonna do much on offense. (I'm not even sure if they have a shot on goal yet.) But that's the terror of futbol -- you can murder somebody, but it doesn't mean anything unless you score.
"Is Donald Trump an intellectual? Trust me. I’m, like, a smart person" - Donald J. Trump

"They misunderestimated me" - George W. Bush

"I have never felt more American than when we all hate (Trump) together" - Dave Chappelle
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 57,607
And1: 28,767
Joined: Oct 15, 2006
Location: København
     

Re: Community Thread LXI: The President We Deserve 

Post#1515 » by Slava » Sun Jul 7, 2019 4:55 pm

Could have been a lot more. Well done ladies.
:king:
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
Posts: 35,114
And1: 17,563
Joined: Feb 06, 2007
Location: Clearing space in the trophy case.

Re: Community Thread LXI: The President We Deserve 

Post#1516 » by Sedale Threatt » Sun Jul 7, 2019 5:11 pm

Slava wrote:Could have been a lot more. Well done ladies.


You play Football Manager?
"Is Donald Trump an intellectual? Trust me. I’m, like, a smart person" - Donald J. Trump

"They misunderestimated me" - George W. Bush

"I have never felt more American than when we all hate (Trump) together" - Dave Chappelle
User avatar
ennui
General Manager
Posts: 9,758
And1: 954
Joined: Feb 10, 2011
Location: I see jigaboos, I see styrofoam

Re: Community Thread LXI: The President We Deserve 

Post#1517 » by ennui » Sun Jul 7, 2019 6:31 pm

yo what's up my guys

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using RealGM mobile app
C'mon, you apes! You wanna live forever?
User avatar
ennui
General Manager
Posts: 9,758
And1: 954
Joined: Feb 10, 2011
Location: I see jigaboos, I see styrofoam

Re: Community Thread LXI: The President We Deserve 

Post#1518 » by ennui » Sun Jul 7, 2019 6:33 pm

I see some of the usuals still around! man, got two kids now life sucks

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using RealGM mobile app
C'mon, you apes! You wanna live forever?
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 57,607
And1: 28,767
Joined: Oct 15, 2006
Location: København
     

Re: Community Thread LXI: The President We Deserve 

Post#1519 » by Slava » Sun Jul 7, 2019 6:58 pm

Sedale Threatt wrote:
Slava wrote:Could have been a lot more. Well done ladies.


You play Football Manager?


No, I spend what little free time I have on my xbox.
:king:
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 57,607
And1: 28,767
Joined: Oct 15, 2006
Location: København
     

Re: Community Thread LXI: The President We Deserve 

Post#1520 » by Slava » Sun Jul 7, 2019 6:59 pm

ennui wrote:I see some of the usuals still around! man, got two kids now life sucks

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using RealGM mobile app


Twins? You ain't been away that long.
:king:

Return to Los Angeles Lakers