ImageImageImageImageImage

Community Thread LXI: The President We Deserve

Moderators: Kilroy, Danny Darko, TyCobb

Sedale Threatt
RealGM
Posts: 37,564
And1: 21,728
Joined: Feb 06, 2007
Location: Clearing space in the trophy case.

Re: Community Thread LXI: The President We Deserve 

Post#1841 » by Sedale Threatt » Tue Jun 2, 2020 6:36 pm

Slava wrote:
hermes wrote:
Slava wrote:Am I the only one who thinks baseball is not going to survive a lockdown?

if it comes back first then it might be ok, because all the sports fans are desperate for something to watch


I can't imagine what the TV money is in comparison to NBA & NFL but the lack of gate receipts and stadium sales itself would put a big dent in their revenue. They were also giving out these insane 8 year deals in their CBA and at some point liquidity is going to become a problem unless players start taking wage cuts right out of the gate.


This is pretty dense, but I thought it covered pretty much all the bases. (No pun intended.)

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29248967/mlb-having-tougher-returning-nba-nhl-baseball-problem
"Is Donald Trump an intellectual? Trust me. I’m, like, a smart person" - Donald Trump

"Suck it, and keep on sucking" - Diego Maradona

"You ain't caramel coated Cracker Jack" - Ol Dirty Bastard
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 58,098
And1: 29,847
Joined: Oct 15, 2006
Location: København
     

Re: Community Thread LXI: The President We Deserve 

Post#1842 » by Slava » Tue Jun 2, 2020 8:10 pm

Sedale Threatt wrote:
Slava wrote:
hermes wrote:if it comes back first then it might be ok, because all the sports fans are desperate for something to watch


I can't imagine what the TV money is in comparison to NBA & NFL but the lack of gate receipts and stadium sales itself would put a big dent in their revenue. They were also giving out these insane 8 year deals in their CBA and at some point liquidity is going to become a problem unless players start taking wage cuts right out of the gate.


This is pretty dense, but I thought it covered pretty much all the bases. (No pun intended.)

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29248967/mlb-having-tougher-returning-nba-nhl-baseball-problem


That's a pretty good summary, I hadn't even thought about the multiple layers of baseball with the minor leagues and roster management issues.
:king:
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 58,098
And1: 29,847
Joined: Oct 15, 2006
Location: København
     

Re: Community Thread LXI: The President We Deserve 

Post#1843 » by Slava » Wed Jun 3, 2020 6:49 pm

Thoughts on RTJ4? Probably the album this point in time needs.
:king:
User avatar
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
Posts: 16,437
And1: 4,501
Joined: Jun 24, 2005
         

Re: Community Thread LXI: The President We Deserve 

Post#1844 » by Danny Darko » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:23 am

dude I'm fairly pissed, my own bandmate has a studio as well and I am basically sure he's blocking me from booking public enemy on a global hd and hifi platform. I just want to give those guys a platform ffffff. seriously after a decade of playing together my man doesn't want chuck to walk through our doors because he'll see it's a nicer studio.. when in my mind his relationship with chuck will always mean they cut at his spot. man freaking selfish... fear of a black planet live with commentary gets shelved because dude thinks an already busy as **** studio will steal his guy... ugg c'mon we've even offered to give up all profit to the charity of their choosing... people are so weird... a damn decade of being in the trenches... i would go to no end to keep his studio hip and great, which it is, and still... ffs.

damnit... people are lame.
Image
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 58,098
And1: 29,847
Joined: Oct 15, 2006
Location: København
     

Re: Community Thread LXI: The President We Deserve 

Post#1845 » by Slava » Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:17 pm

Gym reopened. Everything feels 50 lbs heavier than it used to.
:king:
Mamba Mentality
RealGM
Posts: 17,631
And1: 8,081
Joined: Feb 04, 2011
 

Re: Community Thread LXI: The President We Deserve 

Post#1846 » by Mamba Mentality » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:23 pm

As expected state has gone broke broke. Looks like I'm gonna get one furlough day a month along with a salary freeze.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.
LAKESHOW
RealGM
Posts: 11,937
And1: 1,640
Joined: Mar 14, 2002
Location: HOME OF THE 16 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Re: Community Thread LXI: The President We Deserve 

Post#1847 » by LAKESHOW » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:06 pm

more stimulus check supposedly a comin. that first one was gone within 3 hours.
Home of the 16 Time World Champions
User avatar
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
Posts: 16,437
And1: 4,501
Joined: Jun 24, 2005
         

Re: Community Thread LXI: The President We Deserve 

Post#1848 » by Danny Darko » Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:30 am

LAKESHOW wrote:more stimulus check supposedly a comin. that first one was gone within 3 hours.


so you bought sneakers, i take it?
Image
LAKESHOW
RealGM
Posts: 11,937
And1: 1,640
Joined: Mar 14, 2002
Location: HOME OF THE 16 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Re: Community Thread LXI: The President We Deserve 

Post#1849 » by LAKESHOW » Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:27 am

Heck yeah, shoes, XBOX, extra controllers, and apple products.
Home of the 16 Time World Champions
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 58,098
And1: 29,847
Joined: Oct 15, 2006
Location: København
     

Re: Community Thread LXI: The President We Deserve 

Post#1850 » by Slava » Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:38 am

WHy would you buy a console now when the next gens are on the horizon?
:king:
User avatar
hermes
RealGM
Posts: 84,521
And1: 22,105
Joined: Aug 27, 2007
Location: the restaurant at the end of the universe
 

Re: Community Thread LXI: The President We Deserve 

Post#1851 » by hermes » Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:03 pm

Mamba Mentality wrote:As expected state has gone broke broke. Looks like I'm gonna get one furlough day a month along with a salary freeze.

do you work for the state of california?

i work for the minnesota gov. we have a fairly sizeable projected deficit but i haven't heard anything about people possibly getting furloughed. there is a hiring freeze in place though. heck, our union contracts has a raise coming up in july that some legislators fought against but they couldn't end up agreeing on a change so we are going to get the raise.
User avatar
hermes
RealGM
Posts: 84,521
And1: 22,105
Joined: Aug 27, 2007
Location: the restaurant at the end of the universe
 

Re: Community Thread LXI: The President We Deserve 

Post#1852 » by hermes » Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:08 pm

LAKESHOW wrote:more stimulus check supposedly a comin. that first one was gone within 3 hours.

unless things take a dramatic turn for the worse, i don't know if i'd expect another one
Mamba Mentality
RealGM
Posts: 17,631
And1: 8,081
Joined: Feb 04, 2011
 

Re: Community Thread LXI: The President We Deserve 

Post#1853 » by Mamba Mentality » Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:53 pm

been at work 3 hours and it already feels like an eternity
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.
Mamba Mentality
RealGM
Posts: 17,631
And1: 8,081
Joined: Feb 04, 2011
 

Re: Community Thread LXI: The President We Deserve 

Post#1854 » by Mamba Mentality » Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:41 pm

hermes wrote:
Mamba Mentality wrote:As expected state has gone broke broke. Looks like I'm gonna get one furlough day a month along with a salary freeze.

do you work for the state of california?

i work for the minnesota gov. we have a fairly sizeable projected deficit but i haven't heard anything about people possibly getting furloughed. there is a hiring freeze in place though. heck, our union contracts has a raise coming up in july that some legislators fought against but they couldn't end up agreeing on a change so we are going to get the raise.


Nevada. As you can imagine the state is in a HUGE financial hole with all the casinos shutting down for 3 months and even now they're only running at about half capacity. I'm expecting the Governor to officially announce hiring/salary freezes and furloughs for the next year plus any day now. It sucks but I'm just grateful to still have a job.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.
User avatar
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
Posts: 16,437
And1: 4,501
Joined: Jun 24, 2005
         

Re: Community Thread LXI: The President We Deserve 

Post#1855 » by Danny Darko » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:32 pm

I've seen a bunch of these that were really funny, but this one actually hurt:

Read on Twitter
Image
User avatar
hermes
RealGM
Posts: 84,521
And1: 22,105
Joined: Aug 27, 2007
Location: the restaurant at the end of the universe
 

Re: Community Thread LXI: The President We Deserve 

Post#1856 » by hermes » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:45 pm

Mamba Mentality wrote:
hermes wrote:
Mamba Mentality wrote:As expected state has gone broke broke. Looks like I'm gonna get one furlough day a month along with a salary freeze.

do you work for the state of california?

i work for the minnesota gov. we have a fairly sizeable projected deficit but i haven't heard anything about people possibly getting furloughed. there is a hiring freeze in place though. heck, our union contracts has a raise coming up in july that some legislators fought against but they couldn't end up agreeing on a change so we are going to get the raise.


Nevada. As you can imagine the state is in a HUGE financial hole with all the casinos shutting down for 3 months and even now they're only running at about half capacity. I'm expecting the Governor to officially announce hiring/salary freezes and furloughs for the next year plus any day now. It sucks but I'm just grateful to still have a job.

yeah i suppose nevada would be very reliant on vegas being operational. hopefully you can keep your job

we're lucky to not be having those conversations here (at least not yet). had some rainy day money set aside as well so that helps
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 58,098
And1: 29,847
Joined: Oct 15, 2006
Location: København
     

Re: Community Thread LXI: The President We Deserve 

Post#1857 » by Slava » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:04 am

Danny Darko wrote:I've seen a bunch of these that were really funny, but this one actually hurt:

Read on Twitter


Well, he works temps for SB Nation, so the jokes on him. He probably gets paid two cheetos for an article.
:king:
User avatar
Wavy Q
RealGM
Posts: 24,296
And1: 2,369
Joined: Jul 10, 2010
Location: Pull Up
     

Re: Community Thread LXI: The President We Deserve 

Post#1858 » by Wavy Q » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:27 pm

Being a trauma surgical resident = i get furlough'd for the past 3+ months with no end in sight, I'm so goddamn bored.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 58,098
And1: 29,847
Joined: Oct 15, 2006
Location: København
     

Re: Community Thread LXI: The President We Deserve 

Post#1859 » by Slava » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:15 am

Move to Chicago. It's the summer, you'll be treating one gunshot wound after another.
:king:
LAKESHOW
RealGM
Posts: 11,937
And1: 1,640
Joined: Mar 14, 2002
Location: HOME OF THE 16 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Re: Community Thread LXI: The President We Deserve 

Post#1860 » by LAKESHOW » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:18 am

Danny Darko wrote:I've seen a bunch of these that were really funny, but this one actually hurt:

Read on Twitter

and people said we should've kept Mitch
Home of the 16 Time World Champions

Return to Los Angeles Lakers