ImageImageImageImageImage

Lakers Trade Ideas Discussion 2.0: The rise of Pinklowe...

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,673

Re: Lakers Trade Ideas Discussion 2.0: The rise of Pinklowe... 

Post#1941 » by Pointgod » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:52 pm

RamonSessions7 wrote:
Pointgod wrote:Bulls are apparently willing to take on salary for a draft pick. This might be our best opportunity to unload Deng. This move could be made in the off season as well.

http://m.espn.com/general/play?id=22146331

Clarkson is movable. Nance should be on the table for a low first round pick. If we move Clarkson and Deng it will allow us to keep Randle regardless of whether or not we sign a big time free agent. However the front office needs to do their due diligence on Randle's value.

Usually a late first can get you out of a somewhat bad contract, while Deng is more than that. No one's looking to take on Deng for anything less than at least a lotto pick +.

This is the team that sold Jordan Bell for 3 mil. Shows which they value in terms of money or picks.

I think you might be right. To me Deng is similar to Demare Carroll. The Raptors salary dumped him with two years left on his deal by attaching a 1st round pick and 2nd round pick. I think a similar strategy might work for the Lakers. If we’re trading him in season the cost is most likely two first round draft picks but not a lottery pick. My strategy would be to trade Randle or Nance for a first round pick and use the pick to dump Deng.
RamonSessions7
RealGM
And1: 4,026

Post#1942 » by RamonSessions7 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:54 pm

Pointgod wrote:
RamonSessions7 wrote:
Pointgod wrote:Bulls are apparently willing to take on salary for a draft pick. This might be our best opportunity to unload Deng. This move could be made in the off season as well.

http://m.espn.com/general/play?id=22146331

Clarkson is movable. Nance should be on the table for a low first round pick. If we move Clarkson and Deng it will allow us to keep Randle regardless of whether or not we sign a big time free agent. However the front office needs to do their due diligence on Randle's value.

Usually a late first can get you out of a somewhat bad contract, while Deng is more than that. No one's looking to take on Deng for anything less than at least a lotto pick +.

This is the team that sold Jordan Bell for 3 mil. Shows which they value in terms of money or picks.

I think you might be right. To me Deng is similar to Demare Carroll. The Raptors salary dumped him with two years left on his deal by attaching a 1st round pick and 2nd round pick. I think a similar strategy might work for the Lakers. If we’re trading him in season the cost is most likely two first round draft picks but not a lottery pick. My strategy would be to trade Randle or Nance for a first round pick and use the pick to dump Deng.

I would do that too, but I do not believe we could get a first for either nor would that pick be enough to dump Deng.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,540

Post#1943 » by stan francisco » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:07 am

Slava wrote:Giving a center a max contract just when centers are disappearing from the league would be such a Jim Buss thing to do. Its even worse when you consider Jordan is at the wrong end of the age spectrum with a game completely reliant on athleticism.

This.

But this is true only until the right dominant big or two or three comes around the league again. It can change in a hurry, in a couple of years when they decline.

Imagine the havoc the likes of Hakeem or Shaq or Malone or Kempf or KAJ or Duncan would wreak in a league of midget centers like Draymond Green... Just sayin.

We can't beat GSW playing GSW's game. That's what the whole **** league is missing. It's idiotic to try to out-GSW the GSW.

You gotta change the language on them to beat them. Play a different game, make them play your game, make the league follow you instead by setting the next trend. That's what we should copy from GSW — let's set the next trend, make people adjust to us.

I'd go big right now if I could. But absolutely not with DAJ, for all the reasons you gave, and more.
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
jay51024
Pro Prospect
And1: 643

Post#1944 » by jay51024 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:22 am

Read on Twitter
tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,923

Post#1945 » by tugs » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:23 am

It's amazing no matter how good a player is, as long as a franchise is too conscious about spending, there's no way a pick within the top 20 will be dealt.

Unless that player has "potential" and cheap. Looking at you Denver for getting Lyles for Mitchell.
loveshaq786
Pro Prospect
And1: 86

Post#1946 » by loveshaq786 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:55 pm

There is almost no way to trade Deng unless we take back salary. Let's take on a year of Robin lopez.:

Robin lopez, mirotic, and Pondexter for Deng, Clarkson, and randle. This is the no homer trade. I would try to get valentine instead of pondexter, if not all good, we dumped hella salary and Deng goes back to where he thrived.

Next year we have a decent back up center for a one year deal of 12 mill... While losing Deng and Clarkson's salaries, freeing a net of about 18 mill
TheHartBreakKid
General Manager
And1: 4,277

Post#1947 » by TheHartBreakKid » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:45 pm

loveshaq786 wrote:There is almost no way to trade Deng unless we take back salary. Let's take on a year of Robin lopez.:

Robin lopez, mirotic, and Pondexter for Deng, Clarkson, and randle. This is the no homer trade. I would try to get valentine instead of pondexter, if not all good, we dumped hella salary and Deng goes back to where he thrived.

Next year we have a decent back up center for a one year deal of 12 mill... While losing Deng and Clarkson's salaries, freeing a net of about 18 mill

It won't happen, simply because we would rather stretch Deng if we can't trade him, rather than take a Robin Lopez contract.

That trade pretty much ruins any chance we have at 2 max guys.

Edit: I do like the idea of trading Deng for an expiring and absorbing another (lesser) contract.
mcscotty
Rookie
And1: 486

Post#1948 » by mcscotty » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:24 am

Lopez and Clarkson for JR Smith, Tristan Thompson and the Brooklyn 1st.
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,813

Post#1949 » by TyCobb » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:32 am

Hell NAH
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
mcscotty
Rookie

6RH9YF7951E8 

Post#1950 » by mcscotty » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:44 am

You shouldn't completely dismiss it, Ty. Some nice bigs available at the top of the draft board this summer. Let the core develop for another 2 years, then shed all the dead weight.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,445

Post#1951 » by Slava » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:24 pm

If that was the route we were going to take the Russell trade makes no sense.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
mcscotty
Rookie

Post#1952 » by mcscotty » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:11 pm

Russell was a clown. He lacked professionalism and maturity; he had to go. We still have significant cap space if we make this move. Doesn't change our situation much. We need a center moving forward. We'll have one who's overpaid by about 8M per season. JR takes Clarkson's spot. Doesn't seem like a high price for a lottery pick.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1953 » by Slava » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:28 pm

I think you need to check your math on cap space.

If getting rid of Russell was the only idea behind that trade we could well have exchanged him for another prospect than Lopez and a late first.
mcscotty
Rookie

6RH9YF7951E8 

Post#1954 » by mcscotty » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:51 pm

Yes. We also dumped a bad contract and got a pick back which gave us flexibility. Doesn't necessarily mean we should lock up 2 max contracts. There seems to be an assumption around here that we're landing LeBron and George and winning a championship with a group of second and third year players. The probability of this happening is so miniscule that it's almost absurd. Wouldn't get out of the second round. George and Cousins? Lucky to squeeze into the playoffs. Going down the same road as Jimmy and Mitch. In a hurry to get nowhere.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1955 » by Slava » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:59 pm

You're arguing in circles. If we were not going for two max contracts why did we give up value to open cap space?

There's a legit argument to be had on what to do if we don't get two max players but the trade you proposed would take us out of that plan without even trying.
loveshaq786
Pro Prospect
And1: 86

Post#1956 » by loveshaq786 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:25 pm

I wish LeBron just says he wants to come here...so they can be forced to trade him to us for cheap

Brook Lopez, Clarkson, randle... For LeBron, Wade, and calderon.
larry14r
Bench Warmer
And1: 131

Re: 

Post#1957 » by larry14r » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:34 pm

mcscotty wrote:Lopez and Clarkson for JR Smith, Tristan Thompson and the Brooklyn 1st.

Now way man because we have to see Tristan's ugly baby momma kardashian in the stands again we don't want to see Khole's ugly mug and the rest of that zoo here again. The Kardashian curse is real don't put it back on us. So F your trade.
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,813

Post#1958 » by TyCobb » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:43 pm

:rofl:
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
mcscotty
Rookie

Post#1959 » by mcscotty » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:30 am

Slava wrote:You're arguing in circles. If we were not going for two max contracts why did we give up value to open cap space?

There's a legit argument to be had on what to do if we don't get two max players but the trade you proposed would take us out of that plan without even trying.

Magic said it himself. Russell lacked leadership and we made room for Lonzo. Why do we need cap space? To sign better talent. But talent that fits our timeline. I think if everyone took the emotion out of this and looked at it objectively, they'd see that a couple of top tier max free agents is not what we need. To put things in perspective, imagine Dallas or Phoenix making those moves. Couple more years, a couple more pics is what we really need.
Davell
Junior
And1: 242

Post#1960 » by Davell » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:36 am

As a Bulls fan, It'd take Ingram or Kuzma to take on Deng's contract. No way you guys would do it. But, there's no other fit. Because you'd have to get what amounts to a lotto pick, in order to take Deng back. You guys stretching him is probably the best outcome.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers