ImageImageImageImageImage

Lakers Trade Ideas Discussion 2.0: The rise of Pinklowe...

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,447

Re: Lakers Trade Ideas Discussion 2.0: The rise of Pinklowe... 

Post#761 » by Slava » Sat May 20, 2017 11:05 am

We get a better idea of value vets have once free agency is done and there are teams left with cap space and a playoff mandate from ownership. There's a lot of desperate GMs every year. Hell Kupchak for all his experience and job security at that point was one desperate dude when he offered those contracts.

I think we can move Deng for much less than being projected, Mozgov on the other hand is a lost cause unless Pachulia and McGee destroy Cavs on the boards in the finals.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
aaron_gray
Analyst
And1: 979

Post#762 » by aaron_gray » Sat May 20, 2017 1:12 pm

Slava wrote:We get a better idea of value vets have once free agency is done and there are teams left with cap space and a playoff mandate from ownership. There's a lot of desperate GMs every year. Hell Kupchak for all his experience and job security at that point was one desperate dude when he offered those contracts.

I think we can move Deng for much less than being projected, Mozgov on the other hand is a lost cause unless Pachulia and McGee destroy Cavs on the boards in the finals.

That's what I thought as well. Deng's defense is definitely still there, but as others have mentioned his three ball is very hit or miss. You probably have to give him a decent chunk of time at the 4 to generate any semblance of real trade interest. If he averages something like 14 points and 7 boards on 36% from 3, you might not have to give up all that much to move him. I was going to make a separate thread about how to best salvage whatever Mozzy and Deng (and to a lesser extent Brewer) have left in the tank but it feels like there have been 20 new threads since the draft about the exact same things and I didn't want to clutter the forum even further.
TyCobb wrote:Embiid at peak value after reaching a new maturity level.
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,566

Post#763 » by jpengland » Sat May 20, 2017 3:05 pm

Slava wrote:We get a better idea of value vets have once free agency is done and there are teams left with cap space and a playoff mandate from ownership. There's a lot of desperate GMs every year. Hell Kupchak for all his experience and job security at that point was one desperate dude when he offered those contracts.

Is there going to be any cap space left after free agency?

There's not much space out there and some hefty precedents set last year.

I'd be surprised if more than 3 or 4 teams have anything approaching significant cap space after free agency.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#764 » by Slava » Sat May 20, 2017 3:05 pm

aaron_gray wrote:

That's what I thought as well. Deng's defense is definitely still there, but as others have mentioned his three ball is very hit or miss. You probably have to give him a decent chunk of time at the 4 to generate any semblance of real trade interest. If he averages something like 14 points and 7 boards on 36% from 3, you might not have to give up all that much to move him. I was going to make a separate thread about how to best salvage whatever Mozzy and Deng (and to a lesser extent Brewer) have left in the tank but it feels like there have been 20 new threads since the draft about the exact same things and I didn't want to clutter the forum even further.

He should definitely start at the 4 provided he can run with the likes of Ball and Brewer should start at the 3 because he'll run his ass off on fastbreaks and get about 10 ppg with his cutting ability alone.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#765 » by Slava » Sat May 20, 2017 3:11 pm

jpengland wrote:

Is there going to be any cap space left after free agency?

There's not much space out there and some hefty precedents set last year.

I'd be surprised if more than 3 or 4 teams have anything approaching significant cap space after free agency.

That's the thing though, there's not a lot of free agents out there so even teams with around $16M or so which is enough to absorb Deng will be candidates to take in a vet contract.

Here's a good article by Smitty for RealGM.

http://basketball.realgm.com/analysis/245167/The-Maximum-Available-2017-Cap-Space-for-All-30-NBA-Teams-Version-40
RKL
Junior
And1: 78

Post#766 » by RKL » Sat May 20, 2017 7:55 pm

I'd like for Lakers to get Anthony this summer, need his shooting at the 4. Then wait for George next summer

ZO
DLO
George
Anthony
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,691

Post#767 » by Pointgod » Sat May 20, 2017 8:50 pm

RKL wrote:I'd like for Lakers to get Anthony this summer, need his shooting at the 4. Then wait for George next summer

ZO
DLO
George
Anthony

Yeah I don't see this making sense. Having George and Anthony on the team is going to take the ball out of Balls hands.
RKL
Junior

Post#768 » by RKL » Sat May 20, 2017 10:00 pm

Pointgod wrote:
RKL wrote:I'd like for Lakers to get Anthony this summer, need his shooting at the 4. Then wait for George next summer

ZO
DLO
George
Anthony

Yeah I don't see this making sense. Having George and Anthony on the team is going to take the ball out of Balls hands.

I don't think they would mind sharing the ball with 2 legit passing guards who could get them better/open looks. Especially Carmelo with the catch and shoot.
RamonSessions7
RealGM
And1: 4,037

Post#769 » by RamonSessions7 » Sat May 20, 2017 10:09 pm

Pointgod wrote:

ZO
DLO
George
Anthony

Yeah no it doesn't make sense. Nothing about this team and Carmelo makes sense.
RKL
Junior

Post#770 » by RKL » Sat May 20, 2017 10:26 pm

RamonSessions7 wrote:
Pointgod wrote:

ZO
DLO
George
Anthony

Yeah no it doesn't make sense. Nothing about this team and Carmelo makes sense.

:lol: Just say you don't want him. How does a team in need of shooting at the 4 and Carmelo not make ANY sense?
Kobe System
Lead Assistant
And1: 449

Post#771 » by Kobe System » Sat May 20, 2017 11:42 pm

ZO
DLO
George
Anthony

You mean Anthony Davis, right? Not the one from New York.
RKL
Junior

Post#772 » by RKL » Sun May 21, 2017 12:44 am

Is Carmelo Anthony not a better 3pt/mid range shooter than our current power forward and Deng?
AcecardZ
Lead Assistant
And1: 541

Post#773 » by AcecardZ » Sun May 21, 2017 1:23 am

Is Carmelo even a + player these days? There has to be way better ways to spend $25 million a year than Carmelo Freaking Anthony!
Sometimes being wrong is awesome!!! :D
jnick206
Ballboy
And1: 7

Post#774 » by jnick206 » Sun May 21, 2017 5:22 am

Would the Lakers trade Dlo, #2 pick, 2019 1st round pick, deng and randle for Butler and whatever filler and would the Bulls be interested in the trade? (Or a variation of these pieces)

The Lakers only make this trade assuming Paul George signs in free agency.

The 2018-19 starting lineup could be:
?
George
Butler
Ingram/Nance
Zubac

I assume it would be possible to pair Butler and George together with either Ingram or the #2 pick this year. We would have growing pains but likely make the playoffs the first year and build off that. If this is a pipe dream let me know why.
RKL
Junior

Post#775 » by RKL » Sun May 21, 2017 6:02 am

AcecardZ wrote:Is Carmelo even a + player these days? There has to be way better ways to spend $25 million a year than Carmelo Freaking Anthony!

He's a power forward with a respectable outside shot which happens to fill a need for the Lakers. How is an upgrade not a plus?

You can pay Deng/Randle (who play the same position) $21 million next year then likely $30-35 million over the next 2 years or pay Carmelo $25 million for 2 years? Do you not choose the better player in Carmelo and his contract over Deng's? :dontknow:
RKL
Junior

Post#776 » by RKL » Sun May 21, 2017 6:16 am

jnick206 wrote:Would the Lakers trade Dlo, #2 pick, 2019 1st round pick, deng and randle for Butler and whatever filler and would the Bulls be interested in the trade? (Or a variation of these pieces)

?
George
Butler
Ingram/Nance
Zubac

I assume it would be possible to pair Butler and George together with either Ingram or the #2 pick this year. We would have growing pains but likely make the playoffs the first year and build off that. If this is a pipe dream let me know why.

:nonono: I would definitely not trade DLO or ZO for Butler let alone both. He isn't worth breaking up that backcourt for the next decade.
jnick206
Ballboy
And1: 7

Post#777 » by jnick206 » Sun May 21, 2017 6:24 am

RKL wrote:
jnick206 wrote:Would the Lakers trade Dlo, #2 pick, 2019 1st round pick, deng and randle for Butler and whatever filler and would the Bulls be interested in the trade? (Or a variation of these pieces)

?
George
Butler
Ingram/Nance
Zubac

:nonono: I would definitely not trade DLO or ZO for Butler let alone both. He isn't worth breaking up that backcourt for the next decade.

Play for the future and hope some of the young kids hit. A conservative approach. Fair enough.
RKL
Junior

Post#778 » by RKL » Sun May 21, 2017 6:59 am

Only thing Butler has over DLO/ZO at the moment is defense. He does not have their ability to shoot, pass or make teammates better and that's at their age right now.

Butler's individual defense for maybe the next 5 years or DLO/ZO's multiple skills for the next decade?
Kobe System
Lead Assistant
And1: 449

Post#779 » by Kobe System » Sun May 21, 2017 7:13 am

RKL wrote:

?
George
Butler
Ingram/Nance
Zubac

I'd trade Russell and Deng for Butler
RKL
Junior

Post#780 » by RKL » Sun May 21, 2017 7:31 am

Kobe System wrote:
RKL wrote:

?
George
Butler
Ingram/Nance
Zubac

I'd trade Russell and Deng for Butler

And you'd be awfully sorry. You don't throw away DLO to get rid of Deng. Butler is not worth the sacrifice.

I honestly don't know if those advocating a Russell trade are just impatient fans or have personal agendas. I'd bet big money if DLO was traded it'd be one of the greater mistakes the franchise could make but I guess hard heads always have to see it to believe it.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers