ImageImageImageImageImage

Gordon Hayward

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,724

Re: Gordon Hayward 

Post#101 » by madmaxmedia » Fri May 12, 2017 8:47 pm

stan francisco wrote:Hayward is solid but not worth the max contract he will get. He is not going to be the best player on any championship team and shouldctherefore not be paid that type of money. Someone will. We shouldn't.

Those 'best players on a championship team' are actually worth more than a max contract, which makes them even more valuable. If not for the cap, teams would offer them more.

Guys like Gordon are roughly worth around a max contract. I think Gordon still has some headroom left in his development too.
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,675

Post#102 » by Pointgod » Sat May 13, 2017 4:29 pm

stan francisco wrote:Hayward is solid but not worth the max contract he will get. He is not going to be the best player on any championship team and shouldctherefore not be paid that type of money. Someone will. We shouldn't.

The nature of the NBA salary cap means that players like Lebron and Curry aren't paid their true market value. There are maybe 5 players that can be the best on a championship team, which means the rest of the money has to go somewhere. The question you're asking shouldn't be if Hayward is worth a max contract(he absolutely is), but rather if you'd rather pay Deng and Randle a combined 40 million or Hayward 35 million.There's only one right answer here
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,543

Post#103 » by stan francisco » Sun May 14, 2017 3:25 am

Pointgod wrote:

The nature of the NBA salary cap means that players like Lebron and Curry aren't paid their true market value. There are maybe 5 players that can be the best on a championship team, which means the rest of the money has to go somewhere. The question you're asking shouldn't be if Hayward is worth a max contract(he absolutely is), but rather if you'd rather pay Deng and Randle a combined 40 million or Hayward 35 million.There's only one right answer here

If you can swing that deal, where do I sign?
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
milesfides
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,449

Post#104 » by milesfides » Mon May 15, 2017 9:46 pm

You have to sell Gordon Hayward on a better situation that Utah.

Trade for Paul George, then tell Steph Curry and Gordon Hayward to make their own superteam on the Lakers.

Clarkson + Randle for George
Clear Deng, Mozgov, and Brewer with 3rd, 28th, 33rd picks

Keep D'Angelo, Ingram, Nance, and Zubac as long as you can...but if you need to, do what you got to do.

Steph, White Mamba, and PG13 would be the best trio in the league
“OH! Caruso parachutes in! You cannot stop him - you can only hope to contain him!” -Kevin Harlan, LAL-GSW 4/4/19
MrWaffles
Rookie
And1: 225

Post#105 » by MrWaffles » Mon May 15, 2017 10:02 pm

milesfides wrote:You have to sell Gordon Hayward on a better situation that Utah.

Trade for Paul George, then tell Steph Curry and Gordon Hayward to make their own superteam on the Lakers.

Clarkson + Randle for George
Clear Deng, Mozgov, and Brewer with 3rd, 28th, 33rd picks

Keep D'Angelo, Ingram, Nance, and Zubac as long as you can...but if you need to, do what you got to do.

Steph, White Mamba, and PG13 would be the best trio in the league

You've been playing too much myGM haha.

Hayward to the Celtics.
milesfides
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#106 » by milesfides » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:49 am

Lakers need to arrange an interview with Gordon Hayward. Renouncing Tarik Black and trading Brewer can open up a max slot this summer.

And Brook Lopez will be freeing up Paul George's salary next summer.

Lonzo Ball, Paul George, Brandon Ingram, and Randle/Nance/Zubac/ Clarkson would be a more attractive roster than Utah, celtics, or Miami's - specifically because nobody on their teams is as good as Paul George.

Russell Westbrook is a loyal cat and I wouldn't trust or rely on Lebron next summer.

2018 is fool's gold. Now is the time. We'll have at least 3 dynamic, two-way wings who can play multiple positions, a brilliant playmaker and shooter in Lonzo, and some solid young bigs for different matchups.

And, just in case, if we want to open even another max slot in 2018, we can trade Clarkson, stretch Deng, etc.
“OH! Caruso parachutes in! You cannot stop him - you can only hope to contain him!” -Kevin Harlan, LAL-GSW 4/4/19
Pythagoras
Analyst
And1: 3,282

Post#107 » by Pythagoras » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:07 am

milesfides wrote:Lakers need to arrange an interview with Gordon Hayward. Renouncing Tarik Black and trading Brewer can open up a max slot this summer.

Lonzo Ball, Paul George, Brandon Ingram, and Randle/Nance/Zubac/ Clarkson would be a more attractive roster than Utah, celtics, or Miami's - specifically because nobody on their teams is as good as Paul George.

Russell Westbrook is a loyal cat and I wouldn't trust or rely on Lebron next summer.

2018 is fool's gold. Now is the time. We'll have at least 3 dynamic, two-way wings who can play multiple positions, a brilliant playmaker and shooter in Lonzo, and some solid young bigs for different matchups.

And, just in case, if we want to open even another max slot in 2018, we can trade Clarkson, stretch Deng, etc.

I've heard virtually nothing on the Hayward front, so at this point I'm not expecting the Lakers to make any kind of serious push at him. I kind of wish that they were more bullish on him, because I think he's a stud.
Numbers rule the universe.
TylersLakers
RealGM
And1: 2,810

Post#108 » by TylersLakers » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:12 pm

Pythagoras wrote:
milesfides wrote:Lakers need to arrange an interview with Gordon Hayward. Renouncing Tarik Black and trading Brewer can open up a max slot this summer.

I've heard virtually nothing on the Hayward front, so at this point I'm not expecting the Lakers to make any kind of serious push at him. I kind of wish that they were more bullish on him, because I think he's a stud.

Totally agreed. They're not meeting with him, which IMO, is a clear mistake especially if the objective next year is to bring on Paul George.
dontforget
Senior
And1: 440

Post#109 » by dontforget » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:47 pm

Hayward is just not going to meet with a team that was a bottom 5 team. Not at this stage in his career. He has no affiliation to the area or the team and he's not going to waste a year just to wait for Paul George to come over. I'm sure the Lakers would love a meeting to sell Hayward, they just not going to get it.
Pythagoras
Analyst

Post#110 » by Pythagoras » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:16 pm

dontforget wrote:Hayward is just not going to meet with a team that was a bottom 5 team. Not at this stage in his career.

Well, if they were so hellbent on trading D'Lo, I wish they would've just offered D'Lo, Randle, Clarkson, and a couple of firsts for PG. Just push their chips to the middle of the table to get him here. Overpaying for George would have been worth it to get you a serious meeting with a guy like Hayward, who's apparently going to at least give some serious thought to leaving Utah.

dontforget wrote:He has no affiliation to the area or the team and he's not going to waste a year just to wait for Paul George to come over. I'm sure the Lakers would love a meeting to sell Hayward, they just not going to get it.

Well he did buy a home in LA. And he worked out with Kobe before he had his big season last year. Why not ask Kobe to reach out to help get a meeting? If they already had PG, I think it would have been doable.
dontforget
Senior
And1: 440

Post#111 » by dontforget » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:37 pm

Pythagoras wrote:
dontforget wrote:Hayward is just not going to meet with a team that was a bottom 5 team. Not at this stage in his career.

Well, if they were so hellbent on trading D'Lo, I wish they would've just offered D'Lo, Randle, Clarkson, and a couple of firsts for PG. Just push their chips to the middle of the table to get him here. Overpaying for George would have been worth it to get you a serious meeting with a guy like Hayward, who's apparently going to at least give some serious thought to leaving Utah.

It sounded like there wasn't much of a market for D'lo. I know that many people here would scoff at that, but the Lakers couldn't even get a lottery pick for him. So the next best thing was adding a late 1st and cap space. I don't even think Russell was moved in order to get Paul George, I think Russell was moved because new FO simply didn't see a future with him. They may have liked his scoring, but didn't like his leadership qualities, maturity, or ability to see the floor.
Pythagoras
Analyst

Post#112 » by Pythagoras » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:55 pm

dontforget wrote:
Pythagoras wrote:

It sounded like there wasn't much of a market for D'lo. I know that many people here would scoff at that, but the Lakers couldn't even get a lottery pick for him. So the next best thing was adding a late 1st and cap space. I don't even think Russell was moved in order to get Paul George, I think Russell was moved because new FO simply didn't see a future with him. They may have liked his scoring, but didn't like his leadership qualities, maturity, or ability to see the floor.

Ok, I didn't say D'Lo straight up for PG though. I said D'Lo, Clarkson, Randle, and a 1st. D'Lo just netted a $50 million dollar salary dump, a late first, and 20 ppg scorer who himself was probably worth a mid to late first. I'd be willing to bet the Nets had a ton of suitors for their cap space. By contrast, PG has torpedoed his value around the league. The Pacers are clearly desperate, and you would have to think adding D'Lo to the reported package the Lakers are offering of Clarkson, Randle, and a little filler should have gotten it done.

If this FO moved Russell just to move him, then that's just grossly incompetent, as they misplayed their hand.
milesfides
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#113 » by milesfides » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:43 pm

The only thing holding this new regime together is Paul George coming. If he doesn't, it's full rebuild for at least 3-4 years.

If he is coming, then we absolutely need to get an interview with Hayward.

Objectively, I like our roster (with George on it) more than Boston,Miami, or Utah's.

Look, this is way more feasible than praying for Westbrook or banking on an older and fickle Lebron.

It's just annoying that the Celtics are doing exactly what we should be doing. Getting both PG and Hayward when they can. Two way dynamic wings don't grow on trees. If they get Hayward, then trade for George - they might make the finals. Then, a pretty fair chance of no George for us in 2018.

We need to sell George's commitment to us in our pitch. And Indiana may cave in and take our deal for George. It all hinges on Hayward, but we need to try. It's absolutely stupid not to.
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#114 » by DEEP3CL » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:52 pm

Not happen'in...Hayward in win now mode, we don't represent that at the moment. People have to be real and honest with their expectations of where we stand. I want to see us win big again just as much as the next fan here, but let's build it, not rush it because you have to crawl before you walk anyway. Even when we get back to getting in the playoffs chances are we'll take a few beatings before we figure out how much it hurts.

These are lessons these guys will have to go through. Bottom line stay in reality and the truth won't hurt as much.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
milesfides
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#115 » by milesfides » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:54 pm

We traded Dangelo Russell for capspace to win now, so that's a moot point as far as the front office goes. We can argue about it, but that's their official stance.
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,637

Post#116 » by danfantastk32 » Sat Jul 1, 2017 12:11 am

milesfides wrote:We traded Dangelo Russell for capspace to win now, so that's a moot point as far as the front office goes. We can argue about it, but that's their official stance.

We offered DLO for the #9 pick right? How is that cap-space? I'm telling you...either DLO told management to stick it, with him playing off-ball, or he's a bad egg. (perhaps some combo of the 2???)

The cap space...getting rid of Mozgov, and bringing back Lopez was just gravy, and a totally slick move on our part. But they wanted to get rid of DLO. That was not a salary dump 'win now' move.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,659

Post#117 » by dockingsched » Sat Jul 1, 2017 12:15 am

Front office is probably better off not asking for an interview to avoid getting denied than getting an interview and not being picked. Right now the support the team has is all based on the perception that free agents want to play for Magic. Don't think the team is ready to put that to test.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,637

Post#118 » by danfantastk32 » Sat Jul 1, 2017 12:41 am

And it's been widely reported that the Lakers and Pacers have been in talks. Of course they have. PG has made it abundantly clear he wants to be a Laker.....so it would only make sense the Pacers have tried everything they can to get goodies out of us.

They didn't want DLO. They didn't want Randle. They wanted Ingram AND the #2.

Personally....I don't see a need for Hayward, if we have Ingram...and are getting PG. I think Hayward would prob fit in Luke's system better than PG, but I also tend to agree with some of the people that say Hayward is not good enough to get the Max.

I get the "he's worth the max" logic....but you only have $100mil to build a team with. If your spending a 3rd of your salary on Hayward, while other teams are spending the same on Durant, your already well behind that other team. There are not 30 Durants or Lebrons...I get that too....but it doesn't change the fact Hayward isn't really close to them in talent. Hayward is a guy I'd begrudgingly sign if my squad was pretty close...and he'd fit in nicely and make them legit contenders. I would never sign Hayward as my first big piece.
milesfides
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#119 » by milesfides » Sat Jul 1, 2017 2:43 am

Wow. Just wow. And then this happens. Also CP went to Houston.

Fans who presume free agent destinations are predictable? Uh, yeah, you're almost always wrong.

There is a very real chance that we get nobody now, not this summer, not 2018. And the Lakers might have traded D'Angelo Russell for nothing. I guess a maxed out Brook Lopez?

Russell Westbrook is a warrior, and George will get them farther. One year rental? Maybe, maybe not. Players are fickle - especially when they're winning.

Never take things for granted.

This entire 2018 thing relies on a fart in the wind. The Lakers have been on their heels, and are making wishful-thinking moves, when we instead need to amass and aggregate and trade up.

Who's that capspace sacred for?

What a joke. The Lakers right now are in pure rebuilding mode, but doing it badly (lost Russell), and the front office is getting schooled by other executives who actually know what they're doing. Being aggressive, creating opportunities, etc. 2018 plan...OK. Good luck freeing up 70 million while convincing two superstars this is the better place to win now.
larry14r
Bench Warmer
And1: 131

Post#120 » by larry14r » Sat Jul 1, 2017 5:05 am

Return to Los Angeles Lakers