Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

MrWaffles
Rookie
And1: 225

Re: Gordon Hayward 

Post#81 » by MrWaffles » Wed May 10, 2017 4:42 pm

BitterLakerFan wrote:
MrWaffles wrote:
milesfides wrote:The fact that he didn't say he was staying in Utah means we should be prepared to offer a max contract.

Simple as that. Who'd play with Deng and Mozgov? Nobody.

That's why it's important to have George on the roster, so we need to trade for him. Simple as that.

Remind me how we're going to max Gordon along with paying PG 20, Deng 18 and Mozgov 16.

With math.....Thats how

Max for Gordon without DPVE 129/4, let's assume that.

Hayward 32.25
PG - 19.5
Deng - 17.1
Mozgov - 15.2

Those 4 players = $84.05. Okay, we're still under the cap limit!

However my question, how do we max hayward while still having a competitive team?

Projected Cap as of two weeks ago via NBA is $101 million dollars. That means we have $17 million left. Let's assume we sent Randle, Clarkson, and for some dumb reason our #3 pick for PG.

Hayward 32.25
PG - 19.5
Deng - 17.1
Mozgov - 15.2
Russell - 5.5
Brewer - 7.7
Ingram - 5.5

Just like that, we're out of money! This team screams 10th seed. Still no defense, questionable offense, very very slow laterally. This would be a train wreck. Bottom line, Hayward is not going to the lakers nor will he even meet with the lakers FO. We need to move the worthless players and contracts first before we do ANYTHING!
milesfides
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,449

Post#82 » by milesfides » Wed May 10, 2017 4:44 pm

MrWaffles wrote:
milesfides wrote:The fact that he didn't say he was staying in Utah means we should be prepared to offer a max contract.

That's why it's important to have George on the roster, so we need to trade for him. Simple as that.

Remind me how we're going to max Gordon along with paying PG 20, Deng 18 and Mozgov 16.

Plenty, we're already close anyways. But there are many ways to create more capspace. One, you can ship off Corey Brewer's expiring 7.6m with a 2nd round pick to a team under the salary floor (teams do this all the time, notoriously the 76ers because they just keep selling their capspace for picks and young players).

Second, and relatedly you can directly move Mozgov or Deng's contract by adding an asset or a pick. These assets and picks will have to be valuable, undoubtedly, but it can and should be done if Pelinka and Magic accurate gauge interest (or get commitments) from free agents.

Third, you can use the stretch provision.

Fourth, you can trade other players such as Jordan Clarkson for a pick and clear his entire 11.6m.

Many options on the table. I'd start with the least invasive, such as moving Brewer, renouncing marginal players, etc.
“OH! Caruso parachutes in! You cannot stop him - you can only hope to contain him!” -Kevin Harlan, LAL-GSW 4/4/19
MrWaffles
Rookie

Post#83 » by MrWaffles » Wed May 10, 2017 4:51 pm

milesfides wrote:
MrWaffles wrote:

Plenty, we're already close anyways. But there are many ways to create more capspace. One, you can ship off Corey Brewer's expiring 7.6m with a 2nd round pick to a team under the salary floor (teams do this all the time, notoriously the 76ers because they just keep selling their capspace for picks and young players).

Second, and relatedly you can directly move Mozgov or Deng's contract by adding an asset or a pick. These assets and picks will have to be valuable, undoubtedly, but it can and should be done if Pelinka and Magic accurate gauge interest (or get commitments) from free agents.

Third, you can use the stretch provision.

Fourth, you can trade other players such as Jordan Clarkson for a pick and clear his entire 11.6m.

Many options on the table. I'd start with the least invasive, such as moving Brewer, renouncing marginal players, etc.

I appreciate your vision. I do agree, I think Mozgov and Deng are movable this summer, even more so next summer. We'll have to throw some kids with them and our potential picks. As long as we don't move Russell or Ingram, I'm all game.

I like your idea of the Cory Brewer trade. However that trade probably wouldn't be pulled off until late July when teams have a better idea of who will be on the roster going forward. Hayward and PG will probably be long gone before then.

Stretch provision scares me. I wanted it earlier this year but at this point. Paying those Bozos for the next 6 years sounds depressing.
BitterLakerFan
Ballboy
And1: 6

Post#84 » by BitterLakerFan » Wed May 10, 2017 4:57 pm

MrWaffles wrote:
BitterLakerFan wrote:
MrWaffles wrote:

With math.....Thats how

Hayward 32.25
PG - 19.5
Deng - 17.1
Mozgov - 15.2

However my question, how do we max hayward while still having a competitive team?

Projected Cap as of two weeks ago via NBA is $101 million dollars. That means we have $17 million left. Let's assume we sent Randle, Clarkson, and for some dumb reason our #3 pick for PG.

Hayward 32.25
PG - 19.5
Deng - 17.1
Mozgov - 15.2
Russell - 5.5
Brewer - 7.7
Ingram - 5.5

Just like that, we're out of money! This team screams 10th seed. Still no defense, questionable offense, very very slow laterally. This would be a train wreck. Bottom line, Hayward is not going to the lakers nor will he even meet with the lakers FO. We need to move the worthless players and contracts first before we do ANYTHING!

Agree. The Lakers are in such a weird place right now. The future of this entire franchise is based entirely on "What if..." scenarios around this draft and free agency.
TylersLakers
RealGM
And1: 2,812

Post#85 » by TylersLakers » Wed May 10, 2017 5:01 pm

MrWaffles wrote:
BitterLakerFan wrote:
MrWaffles wrote:

With math.....Thats how

Hayward 32.25
PG - 19.5
Deng - 17.1
Mozgov - 15.2

Hayward 32.25
PG - 19.5
Deng - 17.1
Mozgov - 15.2
Russell - 5.5
Brewer - 7.7
Ingram - 5.5

That screams 10th seed? Not to me.

We then have a room exception of 4.2M, and a bi-annual exception of around 3M to spend as well. We also could stretch Deng and Mozgov, turning their combined 34M to just 14M. Creates an additional 20M to spend.

If you were to say to me right now. Bring in Hayward and Paul George. Remove Top 3 pick, 28 pick, Clarkson, Randle, Nance, Zubac. I wouldn't hesitate for a second.
milesfides
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#86 » by milesfides » Wed May 10, 2017 5:02 pm

You guys have every right to be skeptical, I'm just saying that we should make the offer. He's available, he hasn't committed anywhere or given any signs, so why not?

Does it help if we put our team in better position to make it more attractive? Yes, that's why I think it's absolutely necessary to trade for Paul George right now.

Does it help that Gordon Hayward complimented our team this year as being dangerous and having a lot of good pieces? Yes, that raised my eyebrows when a top, upcoming unrestricted free agent uses that kind of language, especially since he's usually so tight-lipped.

Does it help that Gordon Hayward sought Kobe's help last summer and lived with him for a week?
Does it help that Kobe just said he regularly talks to Gordon Hayward throughout the playoffs?
Does it help that Kobe said he's just a phone call away?
Does it help that Magic wants Kobe to help the front office?
Does it help that Rob Pelinka is Kobe's best friend?
Does it help that Gordon Hayward looks exactly like a white Kobe?
“OH! Caruso parachutes in! You cannot stop him - you can only hope to contain him!” -Kevin Harlan, LAL-GSW 4/4/19
BitterLakerFan
Ballboy

Post#87 » by BitterLakerFan » Wed May 10, 2017 5:21 pm

milesfides wrote:You guys have every right to be skeptical, I'm just saying that we should make the offer. He's available, he hasn't committed anywhere or given any signs, so why not?

Does it help that Rob Pelinka is Kobe's best friend?
Does it help that Gordon Hayward looks exactly like a white Kobe?

THE WHITE MAMBA FOR REAL!! IM OFFICIALLY ALL IN ON HAYWARD TO LA
milesfides
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#88 » by milesfides » Wed May 10, 2017 6:37 pm

Magic: Now that Larry isn't rockblocking me, I'm going to bring Paul George home, baby.
Rob: Perfect, I'll see what I can do with Gordon Hayward.
Magic: We can't lose Haywood to the Celtics!
Rob Pelinka: Hayward. Hayward.
Magic: That's what I said, baby. Can you call his agent?
Rob Pelinka: Mark Bartelstein? I already called him in. He's here.

Mark Bartelstein comes in with Nick Young.

Magic: Swaggy P and Marky B!

Marky B: Hey Rob, so glad we're not competing for clients anymore!
Rob Pelinka: They're all yours!
Marky B: Really?
Rob Pelinka: No, just Nick.
Marky B: Oh. Well, yeah, he's opting out, thanks to you guys rehabbing his value last season.
Rob Pelinka: That was all Luke Walton, but we'll take the credit. But not your client. Well, not this one. The other one-
Marky B: G.Hay? Everybody's calling about him. Doc Rivers has a man-crush on him, he'll trade his own son for G.Hay-
Rob Pelinka: That's an unfortunate nickname. Anyways, can you get us a sit down with him?

Mark pulls out his phone and makes the call. A beat.

Mark Bartlestein: He's not picking up. But he has another private number, only for family though.
Rob: You know what, let me call Kobe. He's been talking to Gordon almost every day.

He makes the call.

Rob: Hey Kob! You still have Gordon's private number?
Kobe: Yeah, why? He's working out with me right now.
Rob: Perfect! Can you ask him if he's interested in the Lakers?
Kobe: Interested? He's in my jersey and shorts right now. I'm only wearing my beard.
Rob: That's pretty weird.
Kobe: He's like the son I've been obviously trying to get for the past fifteen years.
Rob: Mark is here. Can Gordon come have a sit down with us?
Kobe: Right now? He's locked in a muse cage and I've thrown away the key.
Rob: Please don't do that. Remember Slava Medvedenko?
Kobe: Ok, hold on.

Kobe: White Mamba.
White Mamba: Yes, Dad?
Kobe: Brad Stevens, Quin Snyder, or Luke Walton?
White Mamba: I like all of them, but-
Kobe: Exactly, it doesn't matter. You're the White Mamba.
White Mamba: Dad, I want to win championships.
Kobe: Exactly. Children come and go, but banners hang forever.
White Mamba: It'll be hard to leave Rudy.
Kobe: He's not Shaq. Rudy isn't enough, and that's all you'll get up there in the free-agent Deseret.
White Mamba: It did kill me when Quin kept running isos for 45-year-old Joe Johnson instead of giving me the ball.
Kobe: Right, and do you think Brad Stevens and IT Mouse is enough to win rings?
White Mamba: Well, who does the Lakers have, aside from having a dangerous young core with a lot of good pieces?
Kobe: That sounds like an exact quote, and you sound like you already want to be a Laker, but I just got a text, hold on.

Picks up his phone, then shows it to White Mamba.

White Mamba: Is that Paul George in a Laker uniform?
Kobe: Magic just sent that to me.
White Mamba: Man, I never played next to a guy with Paul's talent.
Kobe: Me neither!
White Mamba: You're right, Boston and Utah doesn't have anybody that good. But even Jordan and Pippen needed help.
Kobe: You did say the Lakers have a dangerous young core with a lot of good pieces.
White Mamba: You're right, and on top of that, they could probably trade them for another proven two-way all star or-
Kobe: Create enough cap space to sign another one. Then you'd have a big three!
White Mamba: At least! That's another thing you never had, Dad. Lebron always had a big three.
Kobe: So did Tim Duncan. It's lonely up here with only me and MJ.

A beat.

White Mamba: Dad, can you let me out of the muse cage?
Kobe: R. Kelly found his way out of the closet. You can too.

Picks up his phone:

Kobe: Rob, I'm firing up the engines. We're taking the heli.

Director: Cut! Amazing stuff here.

Kobe: No, keep it rolling everybody. I say when to cut. I'm the storyteller here. "Black Mamba, White Mamba," rated PG-13.
TheRealKaboom
Sixth Man
And1: 1,716

Post#89 » by TheRealKaboom » Wed May 10, 2017 7:39 pm

Absolutely epic post ^^^. Good stuff!! :lol:
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,637

Post#90 » by danfantastk32 » Wed May 10, 2017 8:07 pm

MrWaffles wrote:
Hayward 32.25
PG - 19.5
Deng - 17.1
Mozgov - 15.2

Got some issues with this right here:

If PG opts out, he can earn $33mil a year. So while this $19.5 thing last THIS year....it doesn't the next. Also...by trading for him, we now have the rights to him...so we have to pay $35mil. AND up to $45 if he makes an all-NBA squad.

So under your scenario of trading Randle/Clarkson and our lotto pick (if that is even a reality)....we have:

Hayward 32.25
PG 19.5
Deng 17.2
Mozgov 15.3
BREWER 7.6
TARIK 6.6
Russell 5.6
Ingram 5.5 = $109.8

We're up to about $112 with Nance and Zubac, and $118 if Young decides to stay. You're only at 11 players.

You would not be able to sign Hayward, as it puts you over the cap. And if you pull it off....good luck resigning PG to an extension, and getting Russell a contract the following year. Your gonna have 6-7 guys on your team.

You also have Deng, PG Hayward, and Ingram all on the same team. Kinda SF-heavy, don't you think? I count close to $90 mil spent on the SF position when PG gets extended.
BitterLakerFan
Ballboy

Post#91 » by BitterLakerFan » Wed May 10, 2017 8:22 pm

milesfides wrote:
Kobe: Interested? He's in my jersey and shorts right now. I'm only wearing my beard.
Kobe: He's like the son I've been obviously trying to get for the past fifteen years.

I'M ONLY WEARING MY BEARD!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
iamworthy
RealGM
And1: 8,909

Post#92 » by iamworthy » Thu May 11, 2017 4:20 am

At the age of 21 he averaged 30.5 min/11.8pts/3.5rebs/3.1 ast.....

These things take time
TylersLakers
RealGM
And1: 2,812

Post#93 » by TylersLakers » Thu May 11, 2017 5:43 am

milesfides wrote:Magic: Now that Larry isn't rockblocking me, I'm going to bring Paul George home, baby.

Mark Bartelstein comes in with Nick Young.

Magic: Swaggy P and Marky B!

Marky B: Hey Rob, so glad we're not competing for clients anymore!
Rob Pelinka: They're all yours!
Marky B: Really?
Rob Pelinka: No, just Nick.
Marky B: Oh. Well, yeah, he's opting out, thanks to you guys rehabbing his value last season.
Rob Pelinka: That was all Luke Walton, but we'll take the credit. But not your client. Well, not this one. The other one-
Marky B: G.Hay? Everybody's calling about him. Doc Rivers has a man-crush on him, he'll trade his own son for G.Hay-
Rob Pelinka: That's an unfortunate nickname. Anyways, can you get us a sit down with him?

Mark pulls out his phone and makes the call. A beat.

Mark Bartlestein: He's not picking up. But he has another private number, only for family though.
Rob: You know what, let me call Kobe. He's been talking to Gordon almost every day.

He makes the call.

Kobe: White Mamba.
White Mamba: Yes, Dad?
Kobe: Brad Stevens, Quin Snyder, or Luke Walton?
White Mamba: I like all of them, but-
Kobe: Exactly, it doesn't matter. You're the White Mamba.
White Mamba: Dad, I want to win championships.
Kobe: Exactly. Children come and go, but banners hang forever.
White Mamba: It'll be hard to leave Rudy.
Kobe: He's not Shaq. Rudy isn't enough, and that's all you'll get up there in the free-agent Deseret.
White Mamba: It did kill me when Quin kept running isos for 45-year-old Joe Johnson instead of giving me the ball.
Kobe: Right, and do you think Brad Stevens and IT Mouse is enough to win rings?
White Mamba: Well, who does the Lakers have, aside from having a dangerous young core with a lot of good pieces?
Kobe: That sounds like an exact quote, and you sound like you already want to be a Laker, but I just got a text, hold on.

Picks up his phone, then shows it to White Mamba.

White Mamba: Is that Paul George in a Laker uniform?
Kobe: Magic just sent that to me.
White Mamba: Man, I never played next to a guy with Paul's talent.
Kobe: Me neither!
White Mamba: You're right, Boston and Utah doesn't have anybody that good. But even Jordan and Pippen needed help.
Kobe: You did say the Lakers have a dangerous young core with a lot of good pieces.
White Mamba: You're right, and on top of that, they could probably trade them for another proven two-way all star or-
Kobe: Create enough cap space to sign another one. Then you'd have a big three!
White Mamba: At least! That's another thing you never had, Dad. Lebron always had a big three.
Kobe: So did Tim Duncan. It's lonely up here with only me and MJ.

A beat.

White Mamba: Dad, can you let me out of the muse cage?
Kobe: R. Kelly found his way out of the closet. You can too.

Picks up his phone:

Kobe: Rob, I'm firing up the engines. We're taking the heli.

Director: Cut! Amazing stuff here.

Kobe: No, keep it rolling everybody. I say when to cut. I'm the storyteller here. "Black Mamba, White Mamba," rated PG-13.

LOL, you're f**ked dude and I mean that as the biggest compliment. :rofl:

"He's locked in a muse cage" I thought was gold. Speaking of muse cage, anyone else just find it really odd and weird? I don't see the long term sustainability in what Kobe's doing. We'll see.
ratra_1211
Sixth Man
And1: 271

Post#94 » by ratra_1211 » Thu May 11, 2017 11:07 am

milesfides wrote:Magic: Now that Larry isn't rockblocking me, I'm going to bring Paul George home, baby.

i will admit i am not a big fan of your ideas, but this **** cracks me up :lol: :lol: :lol:
MrWaffles
Rookie

Post#95 » by MrWaffles » Thu May 11, 2017 12:49 pm

danfantastk32 wrote:
MrWaffles wrote:
Hayward 32.25
PG - 19.5
Deng - 17.1
Mozgov - 15.2

Got some issues with this right here:

If PG opts out, he can earn $33mil a year. So while this $19.5 thing last THIS year....it doesn't the next. Also...by trading for him, we now have the rights to him...so we have to pay $35mil. AND up to $45 if he makes an all-NBA squad.

So under your scenario of trading Randle/Clarkson and our lotto pick (if that is even a reality)....we have:

Hayward 32.25
PG 19.5
Deng 17.2
Mozgov 15.3
BREWER 7.6
TARIK 6.6
Russell 5.6
Ingram 5.5 = $109.8

We're up to about $112 with Nance and Zubac, and $118 if Young decides to stay. You're only at 11 players.

You would not be able to sign Hayward, as it puts you over the cap. And if you pull it off....good luck resigning PG to an extension, and getting Russell a contract the following year. Your gonna have 6-7 guys on your team.

You also have Deng, PG Hayward, and Ingram all on the same team. Kinda SF-heavy, don't you think? I count close to $90 mil spent on the SF position when PG gets extended.

1- Yes, I made this scenario for this up-coming season. I'm well aware PG would be making better money the following summer.
2- I'm also well aware that it's SF heavy. Fact is, it's not going to be easy to trade for PG, lose Deng/Mozgov all in one summer. It's impossible tbh.
Crooked-I
General Manager
And1: 2,686

Post#96 » by Crooked-I » Thu May 11, 2017 3:37 pm

iamworthy wrote:At the age of 21 he averaged 30.5 min/11.8pts/3.5rebs/3.1 ast.....

These things take time

Bust. Trade him. Use him to shed a crappy contract.
LAKER FAN FOR LIFE

RIP Kobe and Gigi
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,545

Post#97 » by stan francisco » Thu May 11, 2017 7:20 pm

Hayward is solid but not worth the max contract he will get. He is not going to be the best player on any championship team and shouldctherefore not be paid that type of money. Someone will. We shouldn't.
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
Lava Rock Kid
Sixth Man
And1: 358

Post#98 » by Lava Rock Kid » Fri May 12, 2017 4:27 pm

Hayward is not going to a lotto team. He wants to win. You guys are still 4 years away.
J_LA
Junior
And1: 289

Post#99 » by J_LA » Fri May 12, 2017 4:36 pm

Lava Rock Kid wrote:Hayward is not going to a lotto team. He wants to win. You guys are still 4 years away.

Thanks Mrs. Hayward
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,637

Post#100 » by danfantastk32 » Fri May 12, 2017 7:17 pm

J_LA wrote:
Lava Rock Kid wrote:Hayward is not going to a lotto team. He wants to win. You guys are still 4 years away.

Thanks Mrs. Hayward

Too funny. I think he has a point though. We're further away than the Jazz are right now.

If I'm a free agent I look at a couple issues with the Lakers:

1)What's the deal with DLo? Is he a jerk, or is he pretty cool? Cases can be made both ways. As of right now, he's the PG..so I wanna know what a guy like Lou-Will and Deng and if I could, Byron Scott say about him. Does he have it? I wanna ask some vets and ex-teammates what Im getting into. Talking to Young would be great. I'd wanna talk to DLo myself, if possible.

If the Lakers do get Fultz/Ball then that's all new questions. What are they like? are they legit NBA?

2)I'd really like to see Ingram take a big step next year. He's got the potential to be your partner in crime (if your a star talent going there)...but last season was a little lack-luster.

3)Those contracts man. Almost half our cap space is tied up in 3-players who are not starter-level. And they all have 3-years left. That a problem. That's a BIG problem. Honestly....I tell Magic and Rob right to their face, that I gotta see 2 of those contract move before I sign anything. Sorry....but I gotta see what you ended up with after that's all said and done. Are DLo or Ingram even still here? What did you end up taking back. I'm not STARTING our run 4 seasons from now.....so you gotta get a least 2 of those contracts out of here, so I can get real help.

I know Rob and Magic (and really all the fans) would love to see us make that splash and make the playoffs next year...but I don't see it this year.

1)see if you get the pick, and what you can get.
2)use it/other picks/as few of our young guys as possible to move some of those contracts.
3)See how this lotto pick looks (if we get and keep) and see what steps Ingram/Russell/Randle make this year.

If it turns out well (we get the pick, we move a contract or two, and a couple of our core make nice strides) then I think we go into next year's free-agency looking a million times better than this year. Then I think fans can feel like they have a realistic shot at something. And not only that, but we'll have such a better idea of what we actually need.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers