ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Lonzo Ball Rookie Thread No. 1

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

NBAWestFan
Bench Warmer
And1: 122

Re: Official Lonzo Ball Rookie Thread No. 1 

Post#461 » by NBAWestFan » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:49 pm

Spens1 wrote:Lonzo hasn't played a minute yet, again how his he higher than Ingram.

He is the Chosen One.

Showtime 2.0

There has never been a more exciting time to watch basketball than Showtime

Lakers vs Celtics was hands town the best Bball to watch
Tee212
Lead Assistant
And1: 423

Post#462 » by Tee212 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:43 am

yup hes more chosen than Bi as this point. hes just a regular body type player, not super athletic, the quickest, the fastest, the best ball handler, scorer, defender, highest leaper...just ball iq and passing is enough to make him more valuable than most nba players at this point is bad ass.
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,335

Post#463 » by Dr Aki » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:16 pm

frankly i find the showtime/magic comparison a bit forced, given it's the lakers

ball's passing isn't as much flash as it is simple fundamental basketball

watching ball move the ball reminds me a lot more of bird's celtics teams where everyone buys into a sharing culture, giving up good shots to get better shots is maybe a more apt comparison, where ball acts as the catalyst, promoting a passing contagion style of team ball

i think we saw a little of what could happen in summer league, the ball was zipping around, open shots everywhere. even from game 1
karkinos
Head Coach
And1: 2,058

Post#464 » by karkinos » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:02 pm

^gross
let's not give the Cs fans any more ammo
TheRealKaboom
Sixth Man
And1: 1,716

Post#465 » by TheRealKaboom » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:29 am

Dr Aki wrote:frankly i find the showtime/magic comparison a bit forced, given it's the lakers

ball's passing isn't as much flash as it is simple fundamental basketball

watching ball move the ball reminds me a lot more of bird's celtics teams where everyone buys into a sharing culture, giving up good shots to get better shots is maybe a more apt comparison, where ball acts as the catalyst, promoting a passing contagion style of team ball

i think we saw a little of what could happen in summer league, the ball was zipping around, open shots everywhere. even from game 1

The color green alone is enough to make my stomach turn.

But seeing a Celtics tribute video on the got damn Lonzo thread?

Dr Aki
RealGM

Post#466 » by Dr Aki » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:32 am

anyone want to address the argument?
Texas_Lakers
Senior
And1: 354

Post#467 » by Texas_Lakers » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:35 pm

I had to look twice too, don't get me wrong but....green is not the most favorable color around these parts of realgm.
2018 Los Angeles Rams
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,637

Post#468 » by danfantastk32 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:51 am

I'd forgotten about the barf scene in Team America. Good times.

As to the argument....I'm gonna wait and see what we actually look like after a season or 2. There were some fast-break highlights in that....but I don't really remember the Celtics being a 'fast break team'. I kinda feel like we're going to PUSH and in a hurry. That would be a little more showtime....but let's all just relax, grab a beer, and enjoy the season.

This team prob won't look much like the team that's (HOPEFULLY!) competing for a title in 3-4 years. So who knows what we're gonna end up with?

Lonzo's rookie year.....that's what this team is.
TheRealKaboom
Sixth Man

Post#469 » by TheRealKaboom » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:06 am

danfantastk32 wrote:I'd forgotten about the barf scene in Team America. Good times.

As to the argument....I'm gonna wait and see what we actually look like after a season or 2. There were some fast-break highlights in that....but I don't really remember the Celtics being a 'fast break team'. I kinda feel like we're going to PUSH and in a hurry. That would be a little more showtime....but let's all just relax, grab a beer, and enjoy the season.

This team prob won't look much like the team that's (HOPEFULLY!) competing for a title in 3-4 years. So who knows what we're gonna end up with?

Lonzo's rookie year.....that's what this team is.

There's no argument really lol. Some of us are part of families that have been in Los Angeles for over 100 years and others are from places like Australia where our rivalry with the Celtics isn't felt as deeply. It's all good.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,545

Post#470 » by stan francisco » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:55 pm

Lonzo is more of a Pistol Pete type of magician than someone with Magic's kind of flash.

Showtime 2.0 will be about efficiency. That's what Lonzo's offensive game is all about — get the ball to the guy in best position, in a hurry and exactly on the mark.

Every pass he made in summer league more or less put the recipient in a scoring position, often before they themselves know that they're open. In that sense, he's Pete Maravich more than Magic, not as flashy but not as boring as Jason Kidd.

Lonzo's brain might be as quick as Magic's and Pistol Pete's, which is a frightening thought. The game of basketball is a game of smarts. Lonzo's got the smarts. We've got Lonzo.
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#471 » by stan francisco » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:00 pm

And get that green crap out of here. Anything with Barcelona FC is a more relevant video of off-the-ball movement and pass-until-someone's-open than anything Celtics. Sacriledge.
NPZ
Analyst
And1: 2,505

Post#472 » by NPZ » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:55 am

stan francisco wrote:Lonzo is more of a Pistol Pete type of magician than someone with Magic's kind of flash.

Showtime 2.0 will be about efficiency. That's what Lonzo's offensive game is all about — get the ball to the guy in best position, in a hurry and exactly on the mark.

Every pass he made in summer league more or less put the recipient in a scoring position, often before they themselves know that they're open. In that sense, he's Pete Maravich more than Magic, not as flashy but not as boring as Jason Kidd.

Lonzo's brain might be as quick as Magic's and Pistol Pete's, which is a frightening thought. The game of basketball is a game of smarts. Lonzo's got the smarts. We've got Lonzo.

Erm... I'm not seeing that Maravich as a passer comparison. Pete did behind the back elbow passes. Magic was arguably more fundamental a passer than him. At least half or more of Magic's passes was routine, fundamental halfcourt stuff (just perfectly executed). I also don't really think of Jason Kidd as a boring passer. If he was boring, I'd like to see what's exciting. Zo has a good handle on making the right passes at the right time, flashy or not. I think he's perfectly content with hockey deeks/assists as well as direct assists as long as the score happens by someone. That's the difference between him and Kobe on those streaks where he wanted to prove he wasn't selfish. He would dribble down much of a shot clock before drawing defenders and passing out to an open guy. Zo is much more fluid. That's great afaic. No ego. At the end of one of those July games, Hart pointed to a camera and told Zo to look and as soon as he saw it was a camera, he turned his head away like whiplash.
NPZ's Definitive Magic Johnson highlight reel

49, 50, 52, 53, 54, 72, 80, 82, 85, 87, 88, 00, 01, 02, 09, 10, 20
HoopsMalone
Veteran
And1: 1,548

Post#473 » by HoopsMalone » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:36 am

Mark my words Lonzo Ball will be nothing more than a role player in the NBA.

His role will be to average a triple double and lead consistently elite offenses for roughly the entirety of his career
Dr Aki
RealGM

Post#474 » by Dr Aki » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:37 am

HoopsMalone wrote:Mark my words Lonzo Ball will be nothing more than a role player in the NBA.

His role will be to average a triple double and lead consistently elite offenses for roughly the entirety of his career

that's a pretty good role player, one might even say that's a MVP caliber role player
HoopsMalone
Veteran
And1: 1,548

Post#475 » by HoopsMalone » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:45 am

Dr Aki wrote:
HoopsMalone wrote:Mark my words Lonzo Ball will be nothing more than a role player in the NBA.

that's a pretty good role player, one might even say that's a MVP caliber role player

I'm not sure he will ever win MVP. Voters are just too stuck on PPG... But if healthy he's pretty much a guaranteed hall of famer given that he's a mortal lock to finish amongst the top 5-10 in all time assists. Also, you have to look at his astronomical likelihood of becoming an elite player on lots of winning teams
Dr Aki
RealGM

Post#476 » by Dr Aki » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:47 am

HoopsMalone wrote:
Dr Aki wrote:

I'm not sure he will ever win MVP. Voters are just too stuck on PPG... But if healthy he's pretty much a guaranteed hall of famer given that he's a mortal lock to finish amongst the top 5-10 in all time assists. Also, you have to look at his astronomical likelihood of becoming an elite player on lots of winning teams

maybe not reg. season MVP, but there's at least a legit chance at finals MVP
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#477 » by stan francisco » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:49 pm

NPZ wrote:
stan francisco wrote:Lonzo is more of a Pistol Pete type of magician than someone with Magic's kind of flash.

Erm... I'm not seeing that Maravich as a passer comparison. Pete did behind the back elbow passes. Magic was arguably more fundamental a passer than him. At least half or more of Magic's passes was routine, fundamental halfcourt stuff (just perfectly executed). I also don't really think of Jason Kidd as a boring passer. If he was boring, I'd like to see what's exciting. Zo has a good handle on making the right passes at the right time, flashy or not. I think he's perfectly content with hockey deeks/assists as well as direct assists as long as the score happens by someone. That's the difference between him and Kobe on those streaks where he wanted to prove he wasn't selfish. He would dribble down much of a shot clock before drawing defenders and passing out to an open guy. Zo is much more fluid. That's great afaic. No ego. At the end of one of those July games, Hart pointed to a camera and told Zo to look and as soon as he saw it was a camera, he turned his head away like whiplash.

I agree with you that Lonzo is the humble shy kind of the two, while Kobe is more the egomaniacal type. Why are you comparing the two, if I may ask?
AcecardZ
Lead Assistant
And1: 541

Post#478 » by AcecardZ » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:20 pm

Should we just retire his number now??? Lol

Guys need to relax a little and see what unfolds. Lonzo should be good but he's not a guaranteed HOF'er by a long shot.
Sometimes being wrong is awesome!!! :D
TheRealKaboom
Sixth Man

Post#479 » by TheRealKaboom » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:46 pm

From Silver Screen & Roll:

"Durant sat down for a two-part podcast with Bill Simmons of The Ringer, and the second half finally dropped. The podcasts have been an interesting window into Durant the person, with Simmons fielding questions from fans for KD to answer.

One of those questions was what games Durant is paying this summer. Spoiler: He’s spending time playing NBA 2K. What was surprising, though, was just how much he’s playing MyGM mode, and how he’s set up his franchise.

"I'm in GM mode, so when they came in I had the Tar Heels. I uploaded them from the Internet and I put them in a franchise so they're an expansion team in my GM mode. I know it's real deep, but I'm like 16 years into my GM mode and I'm making trades," Durant said.

What he said next, though, is the kicker.

"I traded for the No. 1 pick and got Lonzo Ball, he's starting point guard for me," he told Simmons."

Awesome that Durant basically told the biggest Celtic homer/Laker hater in existence that the Celtics messed up by not taking Lonzo #1. They did, they messed up big time.
Dr Aki
RealGM

Post#480 » by Dr Aki » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:01 pm

TheRealKaboom wrote:From Silver Screen & Roll:

"Durant sat down for a two-part podcast with Bill Simmons of The Ringer, and the second half finally dropped. The podcasts have been an interesting window into Durant the person, with Simmons fielding questions from fans for KD to answer.

One of those questions was what games Durant is paying this summer. Spoiler: He’s spending time playing NBA 2K. What was surprising, though, was just how much he’s playing MyGM mode, and how he’s set up his franchise.

"I'm in GM mode, so when they came in I had the Tar Heels. I uploaded them from the Internet and I put them in a franchise so they're an expansion team in my GM mode. I know it's real deep, but I'm like 16 years into my GM mode and I'm making trades," Durant said.

What he said next, though, is the kicker.

"I traded for the No. 1 pick and got Lonzo Ball, he's starting point guard for me," he told Simmons."

Awesome that Durant basically told the biggest Celtic homer/Laker hater in existence that the Celtics messed up by not taking Lonzo #1. They did, they messed up big time.

i don't think he needed to tell Bill Simmons

Bill Simmons himself was a big Lonzo Fan and he was **** himself the day Boston traded down

Return to Los Angeles Lakers