Official Lonzo Ball Rookie Thread No. 1

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 5,396

Re: Official Lonzo Ball Rookie Thread No. 1 

Post#1101 » by Danny Darko » Fri Dec 8, 2017 6:04 am

i didn't think he'd be an average defender let alone a special one, but as a rookie to be having so many games like he has and to have 3 steals and 4 blocks in the Philly game is a plus.

course... didn't think he'd shoot like hell either
BEazy
RealGM
And1: 2,483

Post#1102 » by BEazy » Fri Dec 8, 2017 6:50 am

Still want his shot to change. His defense is severely underrated. When we get up-tempo, pushing it, fast pace Lonzo his game opens up so much for him.

Long Live The Black Mamba. Kobe Bean Bryant Laker For Life. 8/24
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,819

Post#1103 » by TyCobb » Fri Dec 8, 2017 6:57 am

I always knew he had special hands on defense, but even his constant defensive footwork and positioning has been incredible. Great to see the D right away. It was the offense that I thought would translate first.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1564745&start=100#p55492565

"Defensively is where I don't see him get any respect that he deserves. People talk about him getting abused by Fox in the last game, but it was really Bam who took out Welsh with foul trouble and Ball with his screens. Not to mention Ball pulled his hamstring and was laboring the whole time down the stretch. The only thing that got exposed that game was the lack of depth shown from UCLA bigs. Lonzo has great hands, has no problem guarding guys with his body on them (that will be more effective when he adds bulk to his 6'6'' frame), and until then he has great timing to meet them at the rim. He is a hustler and reads offenses almost as good as he runs them. He doesn't get fooled by pump fakes, always stays grounded with his feet, moves them well with his short choppy footwork. Active hands leading to those runouts. Head of snake energy on defense." - scouting report from May 17
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,191

Post#1104 » by LAKESHOW » Fri Dec 8, 2017 7:17 am

What I like is that in most pressure moments, he is cool.
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
LakersSoul
Head Coach
And1: 4,486

Post#1105 » by LakersSoul » Fri Dec 8, 2017 9:27 am

LOL..

Funny stuff from LaVar on "boos" and "air ball"

"Westy, LeBron + AD to rule the West.
Return of the King, the Lakers."
Mirjalovic
Head Coach
And1: 1,780

Post#1106 » by Mirjalovic » Fri Dec 8, 2017 11:29 am

He will be fine. He's raw as much as Ingram and Randle in their first season.

those rough edge will be polished in time, like Ingram and Randle. He's a generational point guard, we are so lucky to have him.
shawn_hemp wrote: a guy who is far worse than Robert Covington in Brandon Ingram, and a guy who is no better than TJ McConnell or Tony Wroten in D'Angelo Russell.

Sixers fans...

Dloading99
Pro Prospect
And1: 162

Post#1107 » by Dloading99 » Fri Dec 8, 2017 11:51 am

Great game by Lonzo.

Lonzo being Lonzo. Big Baller Big Baller. when He got Ingram that ball I was screaming Big Baller Big Baller. I told yall we was gonna get that ball.

Very impressed with how He played tonight fourth Quarter was clutch didn't have to have Clarkson win it for him. he ignited the run. got the defensive play on Reddick pushed the ball. got the two for 1 and drove to the basket. didn't settle for the jumper and got the ball to Ingram wide open for the three.

When he keeps this aggression up and gives us 20. Him and Ingram are going to be winning championships and won't need any superstar.

I'm crazy but I really want to pay Randle and Maybe just sign Lebron. really like this squad. Lonzo Ingram Kuzma that's three right there. Lonzo with the all around game. can we make reggie Miller an honorary Laker fan. lol.
iQon
Senior
And1: 168

Post#1108 » by iQon » Fri Dec 8, 2017 12:27 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=17
LakersSoul
Head Coach

Post#1109 » by LakersSoul » Fri Dec 8, 2017 12:30 pm

Dloading99 wrote:Great game by Lonzo.

Lonzo being Lonzo. Big Baller Big Baller. when He got Ingram that ball I was screaming Big Baller Big Baller. I told yall we was gonna get that ball.

Very impressed with how He played tonight fourth Quarter was clutch didn't have to have Clarkson win it for him. he ignited the run. got the defensive play on Reddick pushed the ball. got the two for 1 and drove to the basket. didn't settle for the jumper and got the ball to Ingram wide open for the three.

When he keeps this aggression up and gives us 20. Him and Ingram are going to be winning championships and won't need any superstar.

I'm crazy but I really want to pay Randle and Maybe just sign Lebron. really like this squad. Lonzo Ingram Kuzma that's three right there. Lonzo with the all around game. can we make reggie Miller an honorary Laker fan. lol.

The momentum is shifting to more fans wanting to keep Randle and try to sign 1 MAX guy. I think that MAX guy could be PG.

LakersSoul
Head Coach

Post#1110 » by LakersSoul » Fri Dec 8, 2017 12:48 pm

Lonzo Ball highlights!!

I dont know whats the deal but he was super charged and moved at a much faster pace than others.

madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,747

Post#1111 » by madmaxmedia » Fri Dec 8, 2017 7:00 pm

A mix of bad and not-so-bad:
https://www.theringer.com/nba/2017/12/7/16744356/lonzo-ball-los-angeles-laker-shot

15 of 66 and catch and shoot jumpers, 33.8 percent on layups (excluding lobs, cuts, and tip-ins), and 7 of 23 floaters are all bad. But it appears he is trying or forced into a variety of more shots and that will take some time. I didn't know his 41% 3FG at UCLA was more of an anomaly compared to HS and summer league/NBA, although had he kept it up then that number would have been interpreted as simply improvement in his shot.
Dloading99
Pro Prospect
And1: 162

Post#1112 » by Dloading99 » Fri Dec 8, 2017 11:33 pm

Yeah randles making them have to pay him. Really we can do lebron either way we get one free agent. And I think we got that squad randle is really playing great.
LakersSoul
Head Coach

Post#1113 » by LakersSoul » Sat Dec 9, 2017 4:11 am

Lonzo's instinct is in another level. How does he get into the passing lines so well.
The video breaks down Ingram, Lonzo and Randle. Randle and Lonzo's pick and roll has been real nice recently.

Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,335

Post#1114 » by Dr Aki » Sat Dec 9, 2017 7:04 am

Embrace the boos is right

Can't get diamonds without pressure
EmperorLocky
Sixth Man
And1: 3,061

Post#1115 » by EmperorLocky » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:23 am

For you Laker fans keep positive. Don't get me wrong I've had some digs at Lonzo on the GB but figured you guys would appreciate this video. (Not trolling you guys either) :D

Good watch in my opinion. Probably my favourite point in the video is Lonzo shooting 21% on wide open threes which is assessed probably as lacking confidence. Hopefully it all picks up, I'm hanging out for part (I don't know how many) of the Lakers/Celtics rivalry.

Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#1116 » by Kilroy » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:25 pm

One thing to point out is if you're focusing hard on Defense and banging with guys over lost balls and steals and what not, it's really hard to switch gears and have great touch on Jumpers... This is probably only worst from 3...
It's a big reason why big bruisers like Shaq and Howard etc are terrible free throw shooters, because when you are pounding and getting pounded on, your muscles are tight and in fast twitch mode, but you need loose muscles and fluid movements for jumpers...

So as good as he's been on D, Lonzo focusing that much on Defense probably isn't helping his touch from downtown any.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,819

Post#1117 » by TyCobb » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:29 pm

He just needs to get stronger. More strength, more stamina, more consistent motions.
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#1118 » by Kilroy » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:53 pm

Yeah, that will probably help a lot... He has some mechanics issues too, but it was eye-opening to see the clips from high school and early in college, where he seemed to have a lot more normal motion... So maybe the change isn't as big as it seems.
Spanish_Laker
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,010

Post#1119 » by Spanish_Laker » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:27 pm

The thing I don't understand about Lonzo's game is his 3-pt shooting. He was supposed to be a sharpshooter PG, in college he was a great shooter, why is he struggling so hard to hit a shot from the perimeter? I know it is a bit further and the defenses are better, but going from 41% to 24% is weird...To say the least. I hope he can fix his broken jumper next year though.
Banned after 15 years in this forum for no reason. Farewell RealGM users
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#1120 » by Kilroy » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:05 am

Thought Ball looked good tonight... I thought this might have been the breakout game I predicted earlier, but he banged his knee in the third and we completely went away from him as a shooter down the stretch... But he had some nice shots and some great defensive plays for us tonight...
If we had a go-to jump shooter and if he could just take and hit shots when he's wide open, he'd be a legit triple double threat every night. And that's right now, not in 4 or 5 seasons... So it's happening, we just need to be patient.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers