ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Lonzo Ball Rookie Thread No. 1

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

karkinos
Head Coach
And1: 2,058

Re: Official Lonzo Ball Rookie Thread No. 1 

Post#541 » by karkinos » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:57 pm

day 3 report was good and the optimism for kuzma and "needing to find minutes" for him is a really really good sign
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,066

Post#542 » by Lalouie » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:47 pm

Shoulda posted here. Made a mistake. Or maybe it already has been. Anyway viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1619342
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#543 » by Kilroy » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:50 pm

I mean OK, but it's essentially the SL lineup that he has that experience with... It's not that those guys are better (other than Lonzo), just that they're more comfortable with each other...
Not buying into the Kuzma thing just yet. Every challenge Ingram had, he has coming in... He's just not as versatile so he won't be asked to do as much. He needs to work on his body and learn how to absorb contact and be durable.
More eager to see what Lonzo can do with vets in his lineups... Guys with established 'spots' and roles...
He's playing with a bunch of guys that he can just toss the ball to anywhere and they'll try to do something with it because they're young or fighting for minutes.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#544 » by Slava » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:12 pm

With the all star game in LA, it wouldn't half surprise me if he gets voted in as a starter and the NBA as whole loses its ****. Can't wait. :lol:
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
AcecardZ
Lead Assistant
And1: 541

Post#545 » by AcecardZ » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:16 pm

Slava wrote:With the all star game in LA, it wouldn't half surprise me if he gets voted in as a starter and the NBA as whole loses its ****. Can't wait. :lol:

Do they still have fan voting for all-stars? If they do it could get cray!
Sometimes being wrong is awesome!!! :D
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,744

Post#546 » by madmaxmedia » Tue Oct 3, 2017 5:06 pm

Kilroy wrote:I mean OK, but it's essentially the SL lineup that he has that experience with... It's not that those guys are better (other than Lonzo), just that they're more comfortable with each other...
Not buying into the Kuzma thing just yet. Every challenge Ingram had, he has coming in... He's just not as versatile so he won't be asked to do as much. He needs to work on his body and learn how to absorb contact and be durable.
More eager to see what Lonzo can do with vets in his lineups... Guys with established 'spots' and roles...
He's playing with a bunch of guys that he can just toss the ball to anywhere and they'll try to do something with it because they're young or fighting for minutes.

Kuzma played 3 years in college which gives him a big step up in that first season, but that advantage disappears over time and the better player will obviously reveal themselves in 2-3 years. Although not impossible, it seems very unlikely to me that Kuzma could ever pan out to be the better player, that really only happens if Ingram somehow totally flops.

To me Kuzma looks like the more limited player but is more comfortable within that framework. No one is starting threads here about him being the future Laker PG, or his upside compared to Kevin Durant, etc. But he knows what he can do on a basketball court, while Ingram is still developing and learning and gradually expanding his boundaries. Because Kuzma is more a complementary player, I think it was also easier for him to establish a good rapport with Lonzo in summer league. Just hustle and do the right things, and Lonzo was gonna reward him and get him the ball in his spots.

So I think people need to view the early season from that perspective. That being said, who knows how Kuzma may surprise in the regular season as a solid contributor. He seems pretty efficient with his movements on the court (again, being comfortable in his skill set.)
Jack Bauer
Junior
And1: 98

Post#547 » by Jack Bauer » Tue Oct 3, 2017 5:16 pm

Kilroy wrote:Not buying into the Kuzma thing just yet. Every challenge Ingram had, he has coming in... He's just not as versatile so he won't be asked to do as much. He needs to work on his body and learn how to absorb contact and be durable.

Ball+Kuz >>>>> Ball+Ingram

Reason being Ingram is a ball stopper who tends to turn the play into an iso or takes a while to survey the floor before doing something with it.

Kuzma once he gets the pass commits to his shots. There are no pauses, no holding the ball to figure out what he needs to do next, it's usually catch and go straight to his scoring motion.
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,335

Post#548 » by Dr Aki » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:06 am

stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,544

Post#549 » by stan francisco » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:57 am

Dr Aki wrote:Image

Lol

Yesterday: trade him for a chips bag. Today: Oscar Robertson comparisons.
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
mcscotty
Rookie
And1: 486

Post#550 » by mcscotty » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:08 pm

What we witnessed today is unprecedented. For a rookie to come in and play like that in his second game got me thinking we may have acquired a generational talent. I love his skill, poise and composure. To come into this situation with such expectations under the intense spotlight of Hollywood was not an enviable task. But he just took it all in stride and did what he does best. Nothing seems to rattle this kid. Today is a new day for Lakers fans. We've got something here and we're just scratching the surface. Kid hasn't even grown into his body yet. Just imagine him in a couple of years surrounded by the proper talent. Believe the hype. This one's for real.
Mirjalovic
Head Coach
And1: 1,780

Post#551 » by Mirjalovic » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:27 pm

Yes he's clearly generational talent. His unflappable demeanor, calmness are perfect too. Exact opposite from D'Angelo Russell. Basketball fun again in LA.
shawn_hemp wrote: a guy who is far worse than Robert Covington in Brandon Ingram, and a guy who is no better than TJ McConnell or Tony Wroten in D'Angelo Russell.

Sixers fans...

myersia
Analyst
And1: 788

Post#552 » by myersia » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:38 pm

I gotta overreact here (through 2 games) a rookie is averaging 16 points, 10 boards and almost 7 assists. When is the last time a rookie has done that?
myersia
Analyst
And1: 788

Post#553 » by myersia » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:39 pm

Mirjalovic wrote:Yes he's clearly generational talent. His unflappable demeanor, calmness are perfect too. Exact opposite from D'Angelo Russell. Basketball fun again in LA.

So happy we don't have that guy. Watching him on the nets he has improved but he still doesn't really affect the game. He will never have the impact Lonzo has.
PLO
Analyst
And1: 1,305

Post#554 » by PLO » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:50 am

myersia wrote:I gotta overreact here (through 2 games) a rookie is averaging 16 points, 10 boards and almost 7 assists. When is the last time a rookie has done that?

Like, this season? link
LakersDynasty14 wrote:Lonzo Ball is literally on a Hall of Fame trajectory at this point. This thread is so full of fail.

shakes0 wrote:I hope they put Simmons on Trae. He'll foul him out by the 3rd quarter. plus Simmons can't stay in front of Trae. No one can.
DS17
Sixth Man
And1: 1,374

Post#555 » by DS17 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:53 am

PLO wrote:
myersia wrote:I gotta overreact here (through 2 games) a rookie is averaging 16 points, 10 boards and almost 7 assists. When is the last time a rookie has done that?

Like, this season? link

lol.
LakersSoul
Head Coach
And1: 4,486

Post#556 » by LakersSoul » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:06 am

Highlights and breakdown of Lonzo from the Suns game (plus Ingram and Brewer).

"Westy, LeBron + AD to rule the West.
Return of the King, the Lakers."
LakersSoul
Head Coach

Post#557 » by LakersSoul » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:17 am

One more just on Lonzo's great game!

Spanish_Laker
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,010

Post#558 » by Spanish_Laker » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:22 pm

As I said, he will be just fine. Total faith in Lonzo.
Banned after 15 years in this forum for no reason. Farewell RealGM users
mcscotty
Rookie
And1: 486

6RH9YF7951E8 

Post#559 » by mcscotty » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:56 pm

Watching Nance drive the lane is a thing of beauty. Dude is fearless. Him and Lonzo gotta get working on that pick and roll action. Would be lethal.
LakersSoul
Head Coach

Post#560 » by LakersSoul » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:42 pm

Return to Los Angeles Lakers