ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Lonzo Ball Rookie Thread No. 1

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

BBBKobe
Junior
And1: 148

Re: Official Lonzo Ball Rookie Thread No. 1 

Post#801 » by BBBKobe » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:10 pm

I'm very concerned with Zo's ability to score in this league. Sure he's a past first PG. But at some point, he's going to have to be able to put the ball through the hoop and he cannot do that.

His shot form will have to completely change and at this age.. it's difficult. How taught him to shoot like that?
kobe808lak
Sixth Man
And1: 601

Post#802 » by kobe808lak » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:26 pm

His offense is frightening. I don't ever remember a player with as bad an offensive game ever improving they way he needs to to actually be a plus player.

I could hit a higher % of shots than he is right now. And I don't get paid to do it.
NPZ
Analyst
And1: 2,505

Post#803 » by NPZ » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:42 pm

BBBKobe wrote:I'm very concerned with Zo's ability to score in this league. Sure he's a past first PG. But at some point, he's going to have to be able to put the ball through the hoop and he cannot do that.

His shot form will have to completely change and at this age.. it's difficult. How taught him to shoot like that?

He doesn't even look to make direct passes to guys in scoring positions for the majority of multiple games. The dump-off crap and the disappearing acts in general. He deserves to have his minutes cut. He's not competing. Forget the shooting, the attitude isn't right.
NPZ's Definitive Magic Johnson highlight reel

49, 50, 52, 53, 54, 72, 80, 82, 85, 87, 88, 00, 01, 02, 09, 10, 20
BBBKobe
Junior
And1: 148

Post#804 » by BBBKobe » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:03 pm

NPZ wrote:
BBBKobe wrote:I'm very concerned with Zo's ability to score in this league. Sure he's a past first PG. But at some point, he's going to have to be able to put the ball through the hoop and he cannot do that.

He doesn't even look to make direct passes to guys in scoring positions for the majority of multiple games. The dump-off crap and the disappearing acts in general. He deserves to have his minutes cut. He's not competing. Forget the shooting, the attitude isn't right.

I guess his attitude on the bench wasn't very appealing either. I'll have to keep my eye on that. He's really really struggling, worse than Ingram last year.

I really think the pressure Magic Johnson put on him is getting to him.
Slink
Bench Warmer
And1: 967

Post#805 » by Slink » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:43 pm

I would like to think that his attitude is less about being benched and more about him knowing he's not helping his team. He's probably really down on himself more than people realize.
gts1
Starter
And1: 1,232

Post#806 » by gts1 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:50 pm

PockyCandy wrote:Some fans are far to over-dramatic. It's been 15 games.
That's a big enough sample size to see he has a long long ways to go. If he was playing lights out the sample size would be just fine to say he's got what it takes. Heck before he payed a game we were told he was something special so not sure why after 15 we can't be critical..

Fact is his game sucks right now, he's not even the best rookie on the team... Lakers need to start over with him, maybe move him to the bench or let him play off ball, bring him along slowly, let him go embarrass the g league guys for a few nights. Do something because this isn't working for him and he looks like a defeated man out there. second guessing himself on the floor and sulking on the bench
Wife: "you haven't heard a single thing I said"
Me: that's a funny way to start a conversation...
myersia
Analyst
And1: 788

Official Lonzo Ball Rookie Thread No. 1 

Post#807 » by myersia » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:42 pm

gts1 wrote:
PockyCandy wrote:Some fans are far to over-dramatic. It's been 15 games.
That's a big enough sample size to see he has a long long ways to go. If he was playing lights out the sample size would be just fine to say he's got what it takes. Heck before he payed a game we were told he was something special so not sure why after 15 we can't be critical..

Fact is his game sucks right now, he's not even the best rookie on the team... Lakers need to start over with him, maybe move him to the bench or let him play off ball, bring him along slowly, let him go embarrass the g league guys for a few nights. Do something because this isn't working for him and he looks like a defeated man out there. second guessing himself on the floor and sulking on the bench

Doing that though will feel similar to the bscott Russell dilemma.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Crooked-I
General Manager
And1: 2,686

Post#808 » by Crooked-I » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:46 pm

The pressure is obviously getting to him. With all the pressure and the funky release that probably has a very very small margin of error, you get some really really bad shooting. Will he turn it around? Maybe. But I don't think there's ever been a player that goes from shooting below 30% and horrendously bricking shots to being a knock down shooter which is what we were all hoping/expecting.
LAKER FAN FOR LIFE

RIP Kobe and Gigi
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,826

Post#809 » by TyCobb » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:09 pm

At some point... he has to switch the shoes. Time to start rotating them because he needs some Kobe's on. He is much more athletic in them... just do it.
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
iamworthy
RealGM
And1: 8,911

Post#810 » by iamworthy » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:12 pm

TyCobb wrote:At some point... he has to switch the shoes. Time to start rotating them because he needs some Kobe's on. He is much more athletic in them... just do it.

He recorded his triple double making him the youngest to ever do it in BBB shoes!
BEazy
RealGM
And1: 2,483

Post#811 » by BEazy » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:07 pm

If he fixes his shooting these concerns will not even be on anybody's mind. Like I said, do a Tony Parker restructure and Lonzo's life will be a lot more enjoyable.

Long Live The Black Mamba. Kobe Bean Bryant Laker For Life. 8/24
Jaykoolzboy
Assistant Coach
And1: 96

Post#812 » by Jaykoolzboy » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:37 pm

30% is more than sufficient evidence ZoBall need to tweak his form and mechanics at the earliest convenience (AKA ASAP), truth is that can this guy shoot any worse than that? If that's the case how about start tweaking his mechanics right now?
milesfides
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,449

Post#813 » by milesfides » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:44 pm

Well, he’s breaking records left and right. Right now he’s very uneven, elite in some ways and worst in the league in others. I still like him over any young point guard out there (maybe Simmons but I think he’ll change positions as he gets older).

His shot is a concern, but he shot well enough in college, and he shot close to 40% in the summer league. It’s become a mental challenge for him, as he acknowledged. I think players coming after him, the thing with Liangelo, all might have got into his head.

He’s going to be tested every night, like very few young players have been. He’s either going to get beaten down, or that adversity will help him become a great player.

He’s got all year to fight this, and I think it’s pretty entertaining.

But if he turns it around, he’ll have one of the greatest rookie seasons ever.
“OH! Caruso parachutes in! You cannot stop him - you can only hope to contain him!” -Kevin Harlan, LAL-GSW 4/4/19
Star-Lord
Starter
And1: 1,325

Post#814 » by Star-Lord » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:46 pm

We've seen plenty of rookie point guards struggle, particularly with scoring if they weren't gunners coming into the league, and it's still early enough in the season for Lonzo to turn it around and drag his percentages up to a much more respectable range.

What's ultimately most concerning for me coming off of last night's game is the fact that everyone seems to agree that Zo's wonky J affected the rest of his game. Not the first time that's happened this season, but it was the first time it was so blatantly obvious.

I still think he'll be fine. He's going to have plenty of opportunities to completely overhaul his shooting mechanics before his career is over. Like I said during the game last night: Drill it into his head to try to get to the rim every time he wants to score. Heck, if I was the coach, I might consider fining him for every jumper he takes during a scrimmage or practice. Attack with confidence, and the layups and dunks will start going in, the refs will start blowing their whistles, and get some free throws.
One Love
Starter
And1: 290

Post#815 » by One Love » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:54 pm

You guys are over reacting... His confidence is down, period... Kid is rebounding, moving the ball & setting up the offense... His defense is decent too... Not to mention, Clarkson is shooting over 50% right now, which is the reason Walton is sitting him in the 4th... Does his shot need work, absokutely, but the kid will be just fine... He is hell of allot better than Fultz, Smith, Fox or Frank, which were the other options & Tatum is not much better than Kuzz... Give him some time boys...
jg77
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,423

Post#816 » by jg77 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:23 pm

I still have faith in Lonzo. I still don't think he needs to change his shooting form when Kevin Martin had a similar form and had no issues. I think it's a bit in his head and I'm questioning his conditioning at the moment. And although Lonzo seems really laid back I think he's somewhat entitled. I doubt it's a great feeling when Kuzma is starting to steal a lot of his shine... especially when basically everyone anointed you the chosen one.

I think his game will come around. He just has to work harder. I've seen two pretty good games from Lonzo so that helps ease my worries a bit.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,556

Post#817 » by stan francisco » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:59 pm

Let's not trade him for one really bad game in his first season. He's a kid, and in uncharted territory pressure wise. Everyone chill out, let him figure it out for himself that being über aggressive is the cure-all medicine.
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
lamscott
Analyst
And1: 3,036

Post#818 » by lamscott » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:52 pm

Can we stop with worthless age crap.

Dennis Smith Jr. is 19.

He needs to get in the gym and really start practicing like a pro.
snaquille oatmeal
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,767

Post#819 » by snaquille oatmeal » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:04 pm

So how long do we give Lonzo to improve his offense?
IMO I think it will take him about a year and a half to get comfortable enough to improve, and about three years from now to become an offensive threat.
Where are you @?
Forum permissions