ImageImageImageImageImage

Luol Deng the 6th Man.

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

KidDynamit
Sophomore
And1: 328

Luol Deng the 6th Man. 

Post#1 » by KidDynamit » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:27 pm

I read a lot around here about how we need to dump Deng.

While I do think his contract is too big. I don't feel like he is as bad as Mozgov was. Deng is a former All-Defensive team and 2x All-Star. This guy has things to teach to our young guys. He's a winner and has played huge minutes in his career. I think that the shut down from last season will do him a lot of good.

He has asked to play more 4 next year and I can see him playing in lineups where Randle or Nance play 5. I think he will be a really good player off our bench this year and with Clarkson maybe starting at 2 I think he's our 6th man.

I do understand that 18 millions for a role player off our bench is ridiculous but we are not in a win now situation and I believe Deng can bring a lot to this team. He was an absolute pro last year when we asked him to step aside and will be an absolute pro this year when we ask him to play significant minutes off the bench.

Best case scenario : Deng plays close to the level he was playing 4 at Miami and gets easier to move when we do need to move him.
Speedlot
Lead Assistant
And1: 697

Re: Luol Deng the 6th Man. 

Post#2 » by Speedlot » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:11 pm

Nah, Deng is done. We had to "develop" him last year, when we needed him to be a vet and get things going right away.
hazy_01
Rookie
And1: 362

Post#3 » by hazy_01 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:28 pm

I don't want him stealing any minutes from our young guys. If we can't dump him before the 2018 off-season, he's going to get stretched
dAdo dA dEvil
Sixth Man
And1: 476

Post#4 » by dAdo dA dEvil » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:32 pm

The best case scenario for Deng now is as a successor to MWP's role last year but his salary will be too big for that. Find a way to trade him. After seeing DLo + Moz I think it will take Randle to unload Deng.
Spanish_Laker
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,010

Post#5 » by Spanish_Laker » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:37 pm

Just buyout this scrub and let's develop the kids.
Banned after 15 years in this forum for no reason. Farewell RealGM users
KidDynamit
Sophomore

Post#6 » by KidDynamit » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:08 pm

hazy_01 wrote:I don't want him stealing any minutes from our young guys. If we can't dump him before the 2018 off-season, he's going to get stretched

I don't see him stealing minutes from anybody. I see him playing valuable minutes on the bench.

As far as I am concerned as much as this year is about development I believe Magic wants to create a winning culture in L.A. We don't have any pick next year. Winning is good for everybody around the team and is especially good if you are trying to attract FA next year.

I do not think Deng is done. I believe he had an off year, had multiple injuries. He will bounce back. Will never be The Bulls Deng but eh.

I like Deng as a Role player and Mentor. I do not want him to play 30 minutes either but I feel like he can give you a good 20 minutes of solid bball.
Goudelock
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,866

Post#7 » by Goudelock » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:12 pm

Spanish_Laker wrote:Just buyout this scrub and let's develop the kids.

As long as we don't trade Ingram and Deng for (insert random expensive vet on expiring deal here) to get rid of him, I'm fine with trading him away.
Devin Booker wrote:Bro.
dub81
Sixth Man
And1: 182

Post#8 » by dub81 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:19 pm

Still trying to figure out what Mitch was thinking signing Deng to that contract.
ROballer
General Manager
And1: 2,752

Post#9 » by ROballer » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:48 pm

I'm perfectly fine with trading Randle alongside Deng, even for a bag of potato chips at this point....if it means geting rid of that albatross of a contract and positioning ourselvez better for the summer of 2018.

We wouldn't miss a single beat. In no shape of form, Randle is instrumental on where we are and will be.
The team will still win and lose about the same with or without him.
Steve Nash injures his back while carrying bags

Slava wrote:I pulled a hammy while fapping. I won't make fun of Nash.
TylersLakers
RealGM
And1: 2,812

Post#10 » by TylersLakers » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:53 pm

Spanish_Laker wrote:Just buyout this scrub and let's develop the kids.

I agree. If we don't get a Paul George trade before the season (which includes Randle or Nance) then cut the cord, stretch him, and move on. Our PF and C depth is currently out of control.

PF: Randle/ Nance/ Kuzma/ Deng
C: Lopez/ Zubac/ Black/ Bryant
PKABOOICU
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,128

Post#11 » by PKABOOICU » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:56 pm

He needs to go ASAP, and PG needs to come here ASAP.

Its starting to look a lot like Julius Randle isn't in the Lakers future plans, so packaging him as another salary dump probably makes the most sense if any rebuilding team is willing to bite on that package.
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,687

Post#12 » by Pointgod » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:58 pm

He can be a 6th man on another team
KidDynamit
Sophomore

Post#13 » by KidDynamit » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:04 pm

Pointgod wrote:He can be a 6th man on another team

That is the whole point of the exercise.

I am on the same boat as everybody. I would love to get rid of his big contract.

Only thing is I see some value in him and if we can expose this to other team it is only gonna benefit everybody.
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,687

Post#14 » by Pointgod » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:15 pm

KidDynamit wrote:

I am on the same boat as everybody. I would love to get rid of his big contract.

Only thing is I see some value in him and if we can expose this to other team it is only gonna benefit everybody.

Deng is trash and every team knows it. If we get rid of him we'll have to sacrifice assets just like we did with Mozgov. There seems really no way any team trading for him will do it for any sort of talent.
KidDynamit
Sophomore

Post#15 » by KidDynamit » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:22 pm

Pointgod wrote:
KidDynamit wrote:

Deng is trash and every team knows it. If we get rid of him we'll have to sacrifice assets just like we did with Mozgov. There seems really no way any team trading for him will do it for any sort of talent.

Deng was seen as one of the best two way player in the league 3 years ago. Mozgov never accomplished anything at any point in his career.

Also I do not think people will pay to get Deng. I believe we might have to give less to get rid of him.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#16 » by Slava » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:50 pm

Deng is a starting PF if he is anything. I hope Ball does enough to boost his value that he catches the eye of some misguided team to think they are buying low.

We will most likely trade Randle anyways, we can't conserve space for two max deals and still afford to play him. Nance is too unreliable healthwise, Kuzma is too young so the starting PF is up for grabs.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Crooked-I
General Manager
And1: 2,686

Post#17 » by Crooked-I » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:51 pm

He better be coming off the bench. If Luke starts Deng over Ingram like at the beginning of the season i'm gonna flip out.
LAKER FAN FOR LIFE

RIP Kobe and Gigi
Crooked-I
General Manager
And1: 2,686

Post#18 » by Crooked-I » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:53 pm

Slava wrote:Deng is a starting PF if he is anything. I hope Ball does enough to boost his value that he catches the eye of some misguided team to think they are buying low.

We will most likely trade Randle anyways, we can't conserve space for two max deals and still afford to play him. Nance is too unreliable healthwise, Kuzma is too young so the starting PF is up for grabs.

Lopez and Deng would be the worst rebounding front court in the league. I wouldn't be too happy with those 2 as our starting front court.
LAKER FAN FOR LIFE

RIP Kobe and Gigi
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#19 » by Slava » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:57 pm

Crooked-I wrote:
Slava wrote:Deng is a starting PF if he is anything. I hope Ball does enough to boost his value that he catches the eye of some misguided team to think they are buying low.

Lopez and Deng would be the worst rebounding front court in the league. I wouldn't be too happy with those 2 as our starting front court.

Rebounding is going to be an issue but with Ingram and Ball being strong rebounders we might be able to get away with it.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
TKainZero
Head Coach
And1: 3,275

Post#20 » by TKainZero » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:20 pm

Would love somehow for Minnesota to take deng but I Believe it just isn't possible. (Unless it helps them somehow) but minny is loaded fill on cap now with Rubio/jimmy and Wiggins and Kat coming in a few years
USA Celtics in full effect. Amazing chemistry building experience right there for the main core of the team

Proceeds to finish 7th and shames the entire nation!

Return to Los Angeles Lakers