ImageImageImageImageImage

Projected Starting Lineup: Analyzing the Fit

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,923

Projected Starting Lineup: Analyzing the Fit 

Post#1 » by tugs » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:35 pm

Haven't seen any thread on this but it's interesting to discuss the dynamic of the possible starting lineup.

PG - Lonzo Ball

What else is there to say but we finally have a floor general whose game revolves around making others around him better. A pass first PG who can also make defenders pay if they don't play honest defense. Probably last time we had a floor general like this was with DFish who just comes in there to make the right plays and make outside shots (but Lonzo has obviously higher floor and ceiling than DFish).

SG - Jordan Clarkson

I hope Walton finally settles with a role for JC. Clarkson received a lot of backlash from fans because of his "inconsistent" game that can be attributed to adjusting his style of play based on what was asked of him, which I see as a very underrated aspect of his game. A legitimate scorer that could finally breakout once given a consistent role.

SF - Brandon Ingram

Our version of Andre Iguodala. Our Swiss Army Knife. Duke program's influence on his game benefits players around him since he'll try to make the right play everytime. Once he finds his stroke, he'll be lethal.

PF - Julius Randle

A legitimate triple-double threat with his high motor, unselfishness, and brawn. Needs to control himself at times, though, since he sometimes tends to go all out or just shuts down completely. Hopefully learns how to play off Lonzo, he'll definitely feast inside.

C - Brook Lopez

Can post up, face up, hit threes. This wide array of offense benefits his teammates as he can adjust accordingly based on what works for them. A solid veteran who the team can trust when everything goes helter skelter. Dump the ball inside and let him do his work. Last time we had this type of player was with Pau.

I am very much looking forward to this new look Lakers. 4 draft picks vying for a roster spot and young free agents who showed flashes of brilliance last season that would like to return and have another shot.

I believe we are on the right track. Finally.
KidDynamit
Sophomore
And1: 328

Re: Projected Starting Lineup 

Post#2 » by KidDynamit » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:40 pm

I believe you haven't seen a discussion on this because the only discussion there has to be is about SG and there is already a thread about that.

I mean every other position is pretty set in stone.
gts1
Starter
And1: 1,232

Re: Projected Starting Lineup: Analyzing the Fit 

Post#3 » by gts1 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:01 pm

still have not hit the free agency period and a long summer to go before the roster is set
Wife: "you haven't heard a single thing I said"
Me: that's a funny way to start a conversation...
ROballer
General Manager
And1: 2,750

Post#4 » by ROballer » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:36 pm

Again with this nationality complex? C'mon tugsy, you're way better than this.

The word fit doesn't exist when trying to get things going between two players like Ball and Clarkson.

Jordan Clarkson is a goddamn selfish chucker who has no business of starting for any team in this league, let alone on a team that has Ball on it.

He's a chucker, and can chuck his way from the bench in those 15 mins Ball won't be in the starting lineup. We don't have any bench scoring as it is, if you put this guy in the starting lineup. You plan on playing 3-4 rookies off the bench? Good luck with that.

Clarkson doesn't need to sniff more than 20 mins REGARDLESS of any hypotheticals that might happen on a game night.

Josh Hart should start. And I'm betting my house he'll do a better job than Clarkson would ever do at starting, even as **** rookie.
Steve Nash injures his back while carrying bags

Slava wrote:I pulled a hammy while fapping. I won't make fun of Nash.
Lakernut4ever
Junior
And1: 92

Post#5 » by Lakernut4ever » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:02 pm

ROballer wrote:Again with this nationality complex? C'mon tugsy, you're way better than this.

The word fit doesn't exist when trying to get things going between two players like Ball and Clarkson.

Jordan Clarkson is a goddamn selfish chucker who has no business of starting for any team in this league, let alone on a team that has Ball on it.

He's a chucker, and can chuck his way from the bench in those 15 mins Ball won't be in the starting lineup. We don't have any bench scoring as it is, if you put this guy in the starting lineup. You plan on playing 3-4 rookies off the bench? Good luck with that.

Clarkson doesn't need to sniff more than 20 mins REGARDLESS of any hypotheticals that might happen on a game night.

Josh Hart should start. And I'm betting my house he'll do a better job than Clarkson would ever do at starting, even as **** rookie.

With Russell and Swaggy gone...Clarkson is one of the few players who can create shots for himself if the team need buckets desperately...we still don't know if Ingram has fixed his shooting problems, We still don't know if Lonzo shooting (hopefully) will translate to NBA levels(Ingram had a hard time despite being a shooter in NCAA)....Clarkson doesn't deserve the hate in these boards...I bet Clarkson is still better than a rookie...
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#6 » by Kilroy » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:07 pm

We need to count on Ingram's shot falling... On that lineup Ingram has to be our volume scorer.

Randle needs to hit his mid range shots this season and take a lot more of them, but some of those touches can go to Brook now too...

I actually think JC will be pretty good next to Ball... If we can get out and run, JC can be the finisher, Ingram and Randle can trail.

Defensively, that team just all needs to get way better, though.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#7 » by Kilroy » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:10 pm

ROballer wrote:Again with this nationality complex? C'mon tugsy, you're way better than this.

Clarkson won't have the ball near as much as he did last year... And anyone playing next to Ball is going to be kind of a black hole because their job is just going to be to catch and shoot... Not hold it and create.
I think JC will be fine.

People forget the player Clarkson was before having to step aside for Russell.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#8 » by Kilroy » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:15 pm

I hate to get all nostalgic and **** but JC can be Scott or Nixon to Ball's Magic... He just needs to get some junkyard dog in him on D... Go watch Fisher tapes or something.

But Ball is going to have a tough time guarding the little athletic guards, and is going to need a guy that can take that load off of him like Nixon and Scott did for Magic. JC can be that.
ROballer
General Manager
And1: 2,750

Post#9 » by ROballer » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:16 pm

Catch and shoot is not Clarkson's game, everyone knows this.

He is incompatible with Ball. He can carry the scoring load when Ball is not playing, that's it.
Every team needs a gunner off the bench, but playing BENCH MINUTES. That's Clarkson for us.

Everybody is keen to start our perceived best 5 guys, regardless of fit of their skills, yet no one bothers thinking how terrible our second unit might look like since there wouldn't be a single guy providing offense on it, if Clarkson is starting.
Steve Nash injures his back while carrying bags

Slava wrote:I pulled a hammy while fapping. I won't make fun of Nash.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#10 » by Kilroy » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:19 pm

ROballer wrote:Catch and shoot is not Clarkson's game, everyone knows this.

He is incompatible with Ball. He can carry the scoring load when Ball is not playing, that's it.
Every team needs a gunner off the bench, but playing BENCH MINUTES. That's Clarkson for us.

Everybody is keen to start our perceived best 5 guys, regardless of fit of their skills, yet no one bothers thinking how terrible our second unit might look like since there wouldn't be a single guy providing offense on it, if Clarkson is starting.

Nance will be on the second unit...

Clarkson was a pretty good jump shooter when he played next to Kobe... He can shoot, he just was asked to do more last season.

But that's what training camp is for... What we say now doesn't matter a whole lot...
WVlakerfan
Junior
And1: 97

Post#11 » by WVlakerfan » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:24 pm

ROballer wrote:Catch and shoot is not Clarkson's game, everyone knows this.

It just sounds like you hate JC honestly. Ball and Clarkson have yet to even practice a single minute together and you are already saying he cant fit. Also we had one of the best benches in the league last year and see how far that got us. I would much rather start JC and have him put up some stats so if we do have an opurtunity to sign 2 maxes next summer it is easier to move him and clear cap space.
"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Mark Twain
Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,513

Post#12 » by Michael Lucky » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:28 pm

Ball
Unnamed player
Ingram
Randle (if he's still there)
Lopez

Bench
Clarkson, Nance, rookies

Yikes team looks brutal. 20-25 wins
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,445

Post#13 » by Slava » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:53 pm

Lopez - Zubac - Black
Randle - Deng - Nance - Kuzma
Ingram - FA
Brewer - Hart
Ball - Clarkson

Bryant to G-league.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,513

Post#14 » by Michael Lucky » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:03 pm

Slava wrote:Lopez - Zubac - Black
Ingram - FA
Brewer - Hart
Ball - Clarkson

Bryant to G-league.

Looks like Randle's time will be short lived.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,445

Post#15 » by Slava » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:10 pm

Michael Lucky wrote:
Slava wrote:Lopez - Zubac - Black
Ingram - FA
Brewer - Hart
Ball - Clarkson

Bryant to G-league.

Looks like Randle's time will be short lived.

I'd be surprised if anyone not on a rookie contract was left at the end of the season.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
PKABOOICU
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,128

Post#16 » by PKABOOICU » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:05 pm

I would bank on Julius Randle being moved before the season starts.
kobe808lak
Sixth Man
And1: 601

Post#17 » by kobe808lak » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:19 pm

Michael Lucky wrote:Ball
Unnamed player
Ingram
Randle (if he's still there)
Lopez

Bench
Clarkson, Nance, rookies

Yikes team looks brutal. 20-25 wins

Yea we might have a worse record next year.. Unless Ingram drastically improves.
Mirjalovic
Head Coach
And1: 1,780

Post#18 » by Mirjalovic » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:22 pm

Clarkson has roughly the same game with Aaron Holiday offensively. i think he will be fine playing alongside Lonzo ball.
shawn_hemp wrote: a guy who is far worse than Robert Covington in Brandon Ingram, and a guy who is no better than TJ McConnell or Tony Wroten in D'Angelo Russell.

Sixers fans...

Crooked-I
General Manager
And1: 2,686

Post#19 » by Crooked-I » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:24 pm

Brook Lopez is going to be the 7 foot Lou Williams. He's in a contract year so I expect him to do the bulk of the scoring for us. Unfortunately, he's going to give up more than he gets. Don't think Ingram makes that leap for us this year, I think he'll still be a couple of years away. Hopefully JC can step it up, no excuses this year.
LAKER FAN FOR LIFE

RIP Kobe and Gigi
TKainZero
Head Coach
And1: 3,275

Post#20 » by TKainZero » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:25 pm

Ball
Hart
Ingram
Nance
Lopez

I like that 5 man group
USA Celtics in full effect. Amazing chemistry building experience right there for the main core of the team

Proceeds to finish 7th and shames the entire nation!

Return to Los Angeles Lakers