ImageImageImageImageImage

Trust In Magic. Believe in Pelinka. Stand up for the new regime.

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

XXBKXX
Senior
And1: 253

Re: RE: Re: Trust In Magic. Believe in Pelinka. Stand up for the new regime. 

Post#61 » by XXBKXX » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:52 am

dockingsched wrote:
XXBKXX wrote:Seriously... Dlo shot 35prct from three and made one more three pointer than Brook did last year. To say Dlo is a good shooter but ignore the fact that we picked up a 3 pt shooting all star center is opportunistic story telling..

Last year during his age 20 season DLo made over 130 3's and shot over 35%, which he did his rookie year too. There's been a total of 7 NBA seasons for players that young to do that, DLo has two of those seasons.

http://bkref.com/tiny/3zrVq

Anyway, when you're comparing two players with such drastic different roles, comparing overall % isn't a good enough stat to measure the better shooter. I'm going to assume a huge chunk of Brook's 3s where assisted catch and shoot while Russell didn't have the luxury of someone creating and probably has way more pull up 3s. Unless someone provides stars that says otherwise I think it's a fairly safe assumption that Russell is the better shooter despite the similar overall percentages.

Yes I'm fully aware of the "Mike Trudell D'Angelo stats" that paints an opportunistic picture for DLo's development curve relative to other pgs at his age..The main difference between those players and him is that they have a much higher ceiling than Dlo.. Dlo isn't going to all of the sudden become more athletic or get quicker. And because of that, his ceiling is exponentially lower.

I mean just watching him play you can tell right away he naturally plays at a slower pace than everyone else...and that's not something you want from your pg... Especially in Luke's offense..

The differences will be blaring once we see a few games with Zo's speed pushing the pace... The benefits from that increased tempo will be huge on our offense..

Sent from my XT1650 using RealGM mobile app
BK
-----------------------
Lakers / Angels / Dolphins
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,679

Re: Trust In Magic. Believe in Pelinka. Stand up for the new regime. 

Post#62 » by dockingsched » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:09 am

Nothing in that post addresses DLos shooting
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,969

Post#63 » by Landsberger » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:50 pm

To the shooting stats argument. It's one of my biggest issues with the advanced stats. Context. Where's the context? Shooting stats on the second worse team in the league cannot be mathematically translated to what they would be in a different situation like playing in competitive games for 48 minutes vs blowouts. The situations are vastly different. In a 20 point game you think the defense is as tight or the situation as tense as a 3 point game in the late 4th quarter? Our starters were on the floor a lot last year against the other team's 3rd strings.

The stats are what they are. Individual performance measures with little context to the situations that they are related to. There are no data sets available to truly simulate forward a given player's statistics based on situations he hasn't been in previously.

That said, a lot of guys on our team last year puffed up their stats in the 4th quarters against end of the bench players from the other teams. Looking at box scores or integrated stats it's not evident but it's still there. Trading arguably our best shooter is still trading away the arguably best shooter on the second worst team in the NBA. It's the same as getting Lopez. He's a 20 point/game allstar..... who played on the worst team in the NBA. If the goal is relevance again these don't seem to be meaningful comparisons in the bigger picture which is that we still stink on ice. 20, 25 or 30 wins? When we start moving players who are our leading shooter on 50 win teams I'll take note.
Dloading99
Pro Prospect
And1: 162

Post#64 » by Dloading99 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:01 pm

He had games where he played good and put up good stats against good teams Golden State the 40 against Cleveland and San Antonio. he put up great stats against phoenix the 28 points but those were winning games.

Lopez does a lot. and he's been the main guy on playoffs teams for the nets. I don't like the trade just for the fact that we traded a number two pick on a team that is building through their young core with Lonzo Ball coming in. to have two great shooters in a league that is centered around Point Guards and Three point shooting to have to lead guards in Ball and Russell would be great.

Getting Lopez is a very good prize. he's a skilled big. and every team can't say they have a big you can throw it in the post to and can still shoot threes. so Lakers got a good player.
Penberthy
Sixth Man
And1: 243

Post#65 » by Penberthy » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:52 pm

I wonder if they are sandbagging us with all this "we prefer 2018" talk...It would make sense. Set expectations super low their first summer, then exceed those non-existent expectations, and we all say, "wow, look at that, they landed X"
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,637

Post#66 » by danfantastk32 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:44 pm

Penberthy wrote:I wonder if they are sandbagging us with all this "we prefer 2018" talk...It would make sense. Set expectations super low their first summer, then exceed those non-existent expectations, and we all say, "wow, look at that, they landed X"

I think they were also trying to be realistic. Who knew if we'd get the #2 pick (Lavar excluded of course)? You also can't forget that we had about 50% of our cap-space locked into Moz, Deng, Clarkson for 3 more seasons. That's a heck of alot of money for bench players. I can not emphasize enough how bad Jim was.

Had we not got that #2 pick.....then that Russell deal couldn't have happened, and we'd essentially have to just wait out those contracts. We will look back at this, and be soooooo thankful. Even if Ball turns out to be a bit of a bust......it will be too late. We've shed that salary....and FA's are already looking at us as destination worthy.

If Deng get's moved...Magic is god. But I'd settle for Clarkson. I think that's a little more real. Ship off Clarkson, and one of the young guys we drafted for a future late-first rounder??? Something like that. That means next year we can stretch Dengs contract if need be...and so it's only like 7ish mil. Yeah...it's annoying, but it's such a better situation than what we were potentially facing before the lottery. I mean just night and day now.

So yeah...Magic needs to take his time, and do this right. Right now we have 4 or so pretty promising players. And several other guys who are very young, but who might be something. And we also have a great two-way player who's essentially put a "Lakers or bust" bumper sticker on his car.

Get out from under those contracts! Do it now. Do it while you don't "have to".....and you'll have more control. Wait till next season, when your pulling your hair out....cause Lebron is talking Lakers.....and watch teams DEMAND Ingram and Zubac to eat Deng's contract.

I really hope PG doesn't come this year. We'll get him cheaper. It''ll be a year less. All good things. It gives all these young players another year to develop before the lights and the expectations shine once again. This year SHOULD be about taking your lumps and undoing the absolutely horrific contracts that Jim / Mitch made. (for the record.....Clarkson's contract is not horrible in itself....it's when you realize 50% of our salary went to bench play, that the horribleness is clear). We got like 4-5 young guys now. Clarkson in itself is not a terrible contract. We might be able to just move him for a 1-year "Calderon" type player. If we could package some of our assets to get rid of Deng, that's just incredible.

If we move those 3 contracts, and still have our #2 pick (Ball) Ingram, and Zubac to show for it...I think this was one of the best offseasons in Laker history. Doesn't matter if PG never signs....doesn't matter if Ball never truly becomes that guy. We're still night and day from 4 months ago.
milesfides
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,449

Post#67 » by milesfides » Sun Jul 2, 2017 12:43 am

Jerry West would have been the perfect mentor for Magic and Pelinka.
“OH! Caruso parachutes in! You cannot stop him - you can only hope to contain him!” -Kevin Harlan, LAL-GSW 4/4/19
Laker_Kid
Starter
And1: 591

Post#68 » by Laker_Kid » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:31 am

can we get a tracker going? let me know if i missed something

lou williams for corey brewer and #28 draft pick
signed david nwaba
traded timofey mozgov and d'angelo russell for brook lopez and #27 draft pick (kyle kuzma)
drafted lonzo ball #2 overall
traded #28 draft pick for #30 (josh hart) and #42 (thomas bryant)
signed kentavious caldwell-pope
Texas_Lakers
Senior
And1: 354

Post#69 » by Texas_Lakers » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:08 am

Laker_Kid wrote:can we get a tracker going? let me know if i missed something

signed david nwaba
traded timofey mozgov and d'angelo russell for brook lopez and #27 draft pick (kyle kuzma)

I love ALL of the moves you mentioned above so far. If Kuzma becomes a decent to good rotation player, he will be the steal of the draft.
2018 Los Angeles Rams
myersia
Analyst
And1: 788

Post#70 » by myersia » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:55 am

LonzoBall2 wrote:

signed david nwaba

I love ALL of the moves you mentioned above so far. If Kuzma becomes a decent to good rotation player, he will be the steal of the draft.

I agree. All these moves are what we needed. I am loving our team. I feel like a new fan again. Hope everyone forgets about Russell because it's clear we are in the right direction with a mature and more talented leader in Lonzo.
TheHartBreakKid
General Manager
And1: 4,316

Post#71 » by TheHartBreakKid » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:33 am

as a huge fan of Mitch who thinks he got really screwed in the past few years, I have to give the new FO some major love, and this is coming from someone who has also been a critic of the Dlo trade.

The long term outlook this FO has shown is very impressive, as is their confidence and ability to take necessary chances. I'm loving our roster right now, and the situation we are in for next summer. Of course, some bad luck can change all of that, but the more time goes, I find it easier to trust in magic and believe in Pelinka. They've done a great job building this aura of positivity for our our future, and until they prove me wrong, I have no reason to doubt them. Of course, having Lonzo doesn't hurt at all. It's still early, but I think he's going to be the type of player that can turn a franchise around by himself......now, combine that with the Laker brand, a competent FO, and our other young pieces, and the future is looking really bright.
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,225

Post#72 » by Clemenza » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:56 am

milesfides wrote:Jerry West would have been the perfect mentor for Magic and Pelinka.

If things go well for you guys and you start to win some games and attract star free agents Jerry will get all the credit. Magic ain't havin' that.
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,637

Post#73 » by danfantastk32 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:38 am

wafer88 wrote:as a huge fan of Mitch who thinks he got really screwed in the past few years, I have to give the new FO some major love, and this is coming from someone who has also been a critic of the Dlo trade.

The long term outlook this FO has shown is very impressive, as is their confidence and ability to take necessary chances. I'm loving our roster right now, and the situation we are in for next summer. Of course, some bad luck can change all of that, but the more time goes, I find it easier to trust in magic and believe in Pelinka. They've done a great job building this aura of positivity for our our future, and until they prove me wrong, I have no reason to doubt them. Of course, having Lonzo doesn't hurt at all. It's still early, but I think he's going to be the type of player that can turn a franchise around by himself......now, combine that with the Laker brand, a competent FO, and our other young pieces, and the future is looking really bright.

Yup....I woulda liked to see Russ with Lonzo, but as I've stated before, I think DLO was probably more responsible for that not happening than anyone else. The Vibe seems really good around the team....guys are talking PG...Lebron, etc. Lonzo looks like he's the real deal, and there seems to be a PLAN. It already feels like we're back, and we are far from it.

The sunshine and rainbows only lasts so long. I expect to be back in playoffs after a couple years here. But it's good to have the old Laker vibe again. You hear about Magic/Rob working out 90 draftee's this summer....going to the Ball household for the day, and I think they are doing all you can ask/expect. I liked the late-draft move the made with the Jazz. That's the type of move you can make when your homework's complete....and your still working phones.

Next year will really be their first big test. Gonna have to impress a star or two. Gonna have to have a vision, and sell it to someone else. I hope Lonzo and Ingram (and others!) make that vision easy to sell....but ultimately, it will be on Magic/Rob to get the signature.
BEazy
RealGM
And1: 2,483

Post#74 » by BEazy » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:01 am

I've had my doubts here and there, but they have won me over. Mitch and Jim would of probably handed out some absurd contract. Maybe if Rondo was having the same interest I know Mitch and Jim would of handed out a crazy contract to that guy.

Long Live The Black Mamba. Kobe Bean Bryant Laker For Life. 8/24
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,688

Post#75 » by Pointgod » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:58 pm

Maglinka is already way better than Mitch and Jim. All the people that cried about losing D'angelo they replaced him with a better player fit wise and if they manage to move Deng they can resign him and two max free agents. Setting us up perfectly for the present and future.
NPZ
Analyst
And1: 2,505

Post#76 » by NPZ » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:22 am

signed david nwaba

Man, that already looks much better than Mitch/Jim's resume. I've thought about creating a list of Mitch and Jim's flubs and questionable moves, signings, trades, and draftees, but I haven't yet because I know I have to commit myself to sitting here for damn near 45 mins to list everything. Their questionables list is long as my arm. George/Luke MLEs? Vladimir Radmanovic and Vlade DIVATZ?! Brian Cookie Dough? Yue, Lin, and Yi -- tell me he wasn't pandering to a certain demo with all 3 of those worthless sacks. We have a lot of Asian Lakerfans and I consider them fam, too, but I know they don't enjoy watching garbage basketball any more than the rest of us. That's only a beginning look.

Anyone on the fence, you seriously need to have a subjective analysis of this current group of happy, hardworking All-American lads that we have now compared to the despicable group that took a selfie after a win a few years ago (Lin, Boozer UGH, Hill, Swaggy). Cue the gif of Mitch watching his Lakers and putting his head down in disgust while sitting in a luxury box with Rudy Tutti (another great hire).
NPZ's Definitive Magic Johnson highlight reel

49, 50, 52, 53, 54, 72, 80, 82, 85, 87, 88, 00, 01, 02, 09, 10, 20
NPZ
Analyst
And1: 2,505

Post#77 » by NPZ » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:35 am

Clemenza wrote:
milesfides wrote:Jerry West would have been the perfect mentor for Magic and Pelinka.

If things go well for you guys and you start to win some games and attract star free agents Jerry will get all the credit. Magic ain't havin' that.

I know I'm probably wasting my time writing this, because I don't expect you to come back to this thread, but at any rate, I didn't see anyone in the media address the feelins West and Buss/kids had during his departure in 2001 or thereabouts. West was pissed at having to sign Rodman and Phil Jackson because Dr. B wanted him too, things like that. He famously told Roland Lazenby, "F Phil Jackson!" twice when Roland brought his name up in 98/99ish. He didn't want to dump Rambis like that. Plus, West felt he was chronically underpaid. He once sued the Lakers over financial issues in the 70s.
NPZ's Definitive Magic Johnson highlight reel

49, 50, 52, 53, 54, 72, 80, 82, 85, 87, 88, 00, 01, 02, 09, 10, 20

Return to Los Angeles Lakers