ImageImageImageImageImage

Brook Lopez thread...when was the last time we had a all-star big?

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

RingsDontLie
Veteran
And1: 1,359

Re: Brook Lopez thread...when was the last time we had a all-star big? 

Post#61 » by RingsDontLie » Sun Jul 2, 2017 8:58 am

AcecardZ wrote:Lopez isn't a bad pick up but c'mon guys. He's marginally better than a healthy Mozgov.

Most likely one and done as a Laker...

If he's not out at the end of the year it likely means Zubac hasn't developed into a starter and we were unable to attract any real superstar free agents.

Marginally better than Moz? That's crazy talk. :lol:

Zubac I think has a long way to go. I'm not sure he'll be a better player than Lopez when all is said and done but we will see.

We need to give Lopez as much time as possible. We need to try to win as many games as possible unlike last season. Deng needs to make some kind of comeback...and all our young guys need to improve. I think the goal is 40 wins and up. We aint keeping our pick next season. We have to win.
AcecardZ
Lead Assistant
And1: 541

Post#62 » by AcecardZ » Sun Jul 2, 2017 7:50 pm

RingsDontLie wrote:
AcecardZ wrote:Lopez isn't a bad pick up but c'mon guys. He's marginally better than a healthy Mozgov.

Most likely one and done as a Laker...

If he's not out at the end of the year it likely means Zubac hasn't developed into a starter and we were unable to attract any real superstar free agents.

Marginally better than Moz? That's crazy talk. :lol:

Zubac I think has a long way to go. I'm not sure he'll be a better player than Lopez when all is said and done but we will see.

We need to give Lopez as much time as possible. We need to try to win as many games as possible unlike last season. Deng needs to make some kind of comeback...and all our young guys need to improve. I think the goal is 40 wins and up. We aint keeping our pick next season. We have to win.

IMHO There's two things more important than winning next year.

1) The play of Lonzo Ball
2) The play of Brandon Ingram

If both of these guys play great ball and look to be on the verge of developing into NBA stars it won't matter what our record is next year because players will want to come to LA to play with them.

Obv there should be some correlation between Lonzo's and Ingram's play and victories. If they're both playing well the team should win some games. My fear at this point is the rest of the roster is pretty weak and it might not matter what Lonzo sand Brandon do.

Hopefully Brook and Julius have awesome years and help ease the burden on Lonzo and Brandon a little bit. It should be an interesting season.
Sometimes being wrong is awesome!!! :D
Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,973

Post#63 » by Landsberger » Sun Jul 2, 2017 8:31 pm

He's here for one season and maybe not even that if someone asks for him at the deadline. I don't think he's in the long term plans.

Signing 2 max slots, Randle and Lopez.... not happening. My guess is that Randle and Lopez will be gone in 18/19. You still have to sign Ingram in a couple years after that and then Ball the next year. Zubac and Nance in there too. All of that in the time span of those 2 max slots we want to use next year? I don't think we could fill out a roster and if we were not championship material then we're in hell for another 5 years.
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,644

Post#64 » by danfantastk32 » Sun Jul 2, 2017 9:10 pm

Yeah...I gotta say Brook is a hell of alot better than Mozgov. It's not even close. My issue with Brook, is how does a 7foot center play 29minutes last year, and average 5 boards? 7.1 rebounds for a guy out there like he is, is a pretty bad career stat. Obviously not a great rebounder. But guess what? Moz only averaged 5 in his career.

I'll admit...that's a tad misleading, as Moz averaged about 20 minutes per game his career. But 7-points, 5-boards....with absolutely zero range to his game. The guy is a back-up scrub center. Everyone said as much when he was signed. He was a horrible fit, and not worth close to what we signed him for. If Luke really meant it when he said he was the one who wanted him....then that's a ding on Lukes resume. Cause a casual fan saw that was a mistake from minute-1. The guy is bench level in his prime....and hardly that now. Had Brook manned up and grabbed a couple more rebounds per game....he'd be one of the damn good centers in NBA history.

18.6 and 10...instead of 18.6 and 7.1 <------ don't look now, but that's Duncan's career stat line. No....Lopez is not Duncan. I completely know that. But he's a hell of alot better than Mozgov. Just saying.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,557

Post#65 » by stan francisco » Wed Jul 5, 2017 12:22 pm

Lopez is a stretch C. The plan being that this should fit Lonzo's and Luke's offense. If he makes a few threes, the floor will open up for cuts by Lonzo and Ingram, and for alley-oops and layups by Randle and Nance amd Kuzma and Brewer etc. It's a good fit that way.

But in my book,it's all about defense. So I'll reserve judgment until I see Lopez protect our paint furiously, like a beast. If he does that, I'll root for him every time he takes a three. If he doesn't, his threes are inconsequential to me.

Lonzo running the break after a defensive stop needs no system nor coaching. Brewer, Nance, Kuzma, Ingram, Deng, Randle, Nwaba, Hart are all perfectly dangerous finishers on the break.

It's all about defense. Got that, Lopez? Hard work is what LA is all about. That's what the showtime Lakers were all about. That's how you earn the Angeleno respect.

Protect the paint or find a new home by the trade deadline, would be my advise.
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,948

Post#66 » by Trader_Joe » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:30 pm

My fave player... gonna miss him.
I wish he was on an EC team though, so I could watch him. Very underappreciated as a player. Great offensive player, and one of the better rim protectors and shot blockers. You will be shocked how big and long he really is.

Good luck to you guys.

https://16winsaring.com/brook-lopez-the-offensive-force-awakens-dec531e6aade
Mikhail Prokhorov wrote:My posse usually needs another vacation after a vacation with me.
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,644

Post#67 » by danfantastk32 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:02 pm

Trader_Joe wrote:My fave player... gonna miss him.
I wish he was on an EC team though, so I could watch him. Very underappreciated as a player. Great offensive player, and one of the better rim protectors and shot blockers. You will be shocked how big and long he really is.

Yeah...I'm hoping he fits in with Ball well....and his ability to stretch will be one of our strengths this season. Not alot of centers can do it. My trying to temper my hopes....but I could see him really working well here.
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#68 » by Ballerhogger » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:10 pm

He should provide a lot of scoring for us and hopefully opens up Randle . His mid range game is still very vauble asset.
TJM217
Pro Prospect
And1: 242

Post#69 » by TJM217 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:28 pm

What do you guys think his chances of being here past next year? Is he a 1 year rental or is he in our long term plans?
Lake Show Baby!!!
Dloading99
Pro Prospect
And1: 162

Post#70 » by Dloading99 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:23 pm

I think he's long term.

let's be real here. Lebron is going to have every team knocking down his door. who knows where he is going to sign. Here's a guy who's here. you can build around for a few years and he can win championships. give him a four year deal and you're good.

is he Dwight Howard relying on athleticsm? no he's a back to the basket player who can stretch and shoot three's score in the post he can play til he's 40 like Tim. just keep his minutes to 30 32 and you're good. with a guy like Zubac and Bryant perfect player to keep him fresh.

I think overall his skillset get's underrated in the New NBA there are a lot of centers who just can't play or be effective in the rotation because they can't shoot. in this NBA this is why I keep saying Players like Lopez are valued like Shaq was in 96.

The game is played on the perimeter now so when you can have a center who can stretch shoot those three's. make those perimeter shots. make free throws and shoot 80% that's like Gold. he can't rebound we get it. but right now having a stretch five is more valuable then having Dennis Rodman.

He's very efficient and skilled at the rim.

And We traded Russell for him who was one of our young cornerstone star players we were developing. so we can't just have him walk for nothing. we need to build around him and have him be part of this new team with Ball.

I'll go back to the Gronk and Brady Comparison. Lopez is Lonzo's Gronk because in this new NBA he's a mismatch a beast. end of game you can't hack a foul him. He can shoot three's in pick and roll you can't cheat off of him and sag off. he'll knock down three. he can go inside post you up dunk on you or go face up like Tim Duncan. High basketball IQ. and he can protect the rim.

Surprisingly I'm surprised how he wasn't valued. I remember one of the first stretches was Chris Webber dude was unguardable because his range was out to three. and he was so athletic. Lopez doesn't have the athletic hops like that but he can put it on the floor and score inside. Lakers really got a great player to put with the team they are building.
TheRealKaboom
Sixth Man
And1: 1,716

Re: RE: Re: Brook Lopez thread...when was the last time we had a all-star big? 

Post#71 » by TheRealKaboom » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:31 pm

TJM217 wrote:What do you guys think his chances of being here past next year? Is he a 1 year rental or is he in our long term plans?

He's gone after this year. Boogie Cousins will be a UFA and would make a fine replacement.
Dloading99
Pro Prospect

Post#72 » by Dloading99 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:51 am

We aren't getting Boogie Cousins he's going to get paid in New Orleans.
TheRealKaboom
Sixth Man
And1: 1,716

Post#73 » by TheRealKaboom » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:25 pm

Dloading99 wrote:We aren't getting Boogie Cousins he's going to get paid in New Orleans.

LOL. He's an unrestricted free agent and rumors of him wanting to join the Lakers have been ongoing for years. What makes you think we won't sign him? There will be room for both him and Paul George.
Landsberger
General Manager

Post#74 » by Landsberger » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:46 am

I'd pitch in some of my salary to re-sign Lopez over Cousins. That guy is pure cancer. I'm not a huge Lopez fan but i can see him being part of a really good team one day. Cousins is another story. Mentally weak, myopic and focused on himself. Stats do not begin to tell the whole story with him.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,228

Post#75 » by Kilroy » Tue Aug 1, 2017 4:41 pm

I think it's pretty clear at this point that we'll sign whoever LeBron wants next season, and won't sign anyone until we hear from him.

I find it just too hard to predict at this point... Cousins could either be a really good fit with this team or he could sabotage it and destroy it from the inside... Brook isn't the most durable guy, but from a skill standpoint, there are few C's better than him on both ends of the floor.. And he can stretch it... And he and Randle compliment each other real well...

But if we get LeBron, Randle's gone... And we probably need a better rebounder down low than Brook... And I used to think LeBron could keep Boogie in line, but now, with the Irving thing, I think they may be more like oil/water than anything...

In all honesty, at this very moment, I'm not sure who is going to be on the team next season... Ball and Ingram included, although, Ball looks like a virtual lock right now, if he can't bring it against the real NBA, who knows...
Ingram seems to have a bit of a target on his back now from Magic... And Randle and Clarkson could be gone at any time... Everyone else is filler...

So all things considered, I'm not sure how into any of these guys I can get right now... I feel like we're already on LeBron-watch.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
rogers49
Ballboy
And1: 8

Post#76 » by rogers49 » Tue Aug 1, 2017 9:54 pm

TJM217 wrote:What do you guys think his chances of being here past next year? Is he a 1 year rental or is he in our long term plans?

His huge cap hold (33.5 mil) says he is gone.
mcscotty
Rookie
And1: 486

Post#77 » by mcscotty » Tue Aug 1, 2017 10:01 pm

Landsberger wrote:I'd pitch in some of my salary to re-sign Lopez over Cousins. That guy is pure cancer. I'm not a huge Lopez fan but i can see him being part of a really good team one day. Cousins is another story. Mentally weak, myopic and focused on himself. Stats do not begin to tell the whole story with him.

Wouldn't want either of them for the salaries they'll likely command. The modern NBA is focused on speed, skill, and precision. Lumbering bigs are an afterthought with limited roles and their salaries should reflect that. I remember Shaq said he was the last of the great big men, and I believe that prophecy to be true.
Landsberger
General Manager

Post#78 » by Landsberger » Tue Aug 1, 2017 10:18 pm

mcscotty wrote:
Landsberger wrote:I'd pitch in some of my salary to re-sign Lopez over Cousins. That guy is pure cancer. I'm not a huge Lopez fan but i can see him being part of a really good team one day. Cousins is another story. Mentally weak, myopic and focused on himself. Stats do not begin to tell the whole story with him.

Wouldn't want either of them for the salaries they'll likely command. The modern NBA is focused on speed, skill, and precision. Lumbering bigs are an afterthought with limited roles and their salaries should reflect that. I remember Shaq said he was the last of the great big men, and I believe that prophecy to be true.

I agree and disagree. I've been watching since the early 70's and I'd offer in that time I've seen cycles in small ball and big ball.... fast ball and slow ball. Showtime was a blend of both that founded a dynasty.

As for today's game... everyone is trying to emulate GS's success. Back in the day Showtime was copied. The problem is that these, and most other, dominate teams are less about the style and more about the specific personnel. We hear fans say that this guys is our "Curry" or that guys is our "Durant"... that's a followers mentality. Great and lasting teams are a combination of players that is typically unique and smart coaches build a system around them. To me that's what GS is. No one is copying that with the same success.... just not happening because they are not successful because of their system... it's the players.

I think the next dominant big man will help redefine the league yet again. When that happens remains to be seen but based on a long time watching and coaching the game I'm sure it will happen again.
Dloading99
Pro Prospect

Post#79 » by Dloading99 » Wed Aug 2, 2017 12:27 am

You can't really emulate Golden State. because it's a simple fact they have two of the best shooters in their backcourt in NBA history. Cleveland tried to do it this year. so no team is getting Curry and Klay. oh yeah they added the best perimeter shooter Kevin Durant. those shooters on the court at the same time impossible to defend.

The Lakers had something with Russell a guy that can space the floor. they were able to maintain space with lopez as a big. as far as what Golden state does it's not necasarily like that. people analyst do it all the time New England the way they play.

it's really what Phoenix started with pushing the ball. the point guard pushing the ball. shlit Dallas did it with Nash and Dirk. you gotta have the right personel to play a certain way. and with Ball the Lakers have that they have a point guard who can push tempo. and really get great perimeter shots so that's what it is.

Curry and Ball are similar cause as I've said before they dictate tempo by the style the play when you get your gameplan your number one defensive question is where is Curry Where is Ball because they make that offense go you have to know where they are freeing up others.

Lopez is that Guy who as a defense you can't guard it's impossible to really guard because Ball has to be paid attention to so Ball can go to the basket. step back Lopez can roll and score at the rim or score at the perimeter. Stretch bigs that can shoot. are extremely valuable because with Deandre Jordan you just have to protect rim with Lopez the perimeter is all open and you have to go there.

Kilroy made great points but I think Lopez has to be your guy cause if you pay him$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ you know he's going to be a professional with your money and come to play. as for Lebron all good brining him in. but we can't be asking who Lebron wants because in my opinion players are some of the worst Talent evaluators. and we need guys that fit in this team. I like paying Lopez an signing Lebron.
Dloading99
Pro Prospect

Post#80 » by Dloading99 » Wed Aug 2, 2017 12:33 am

Cousins is taking the MAX Money he's not going to L.A. to not get his extra 30 Million Bucks. Boggie Wants that money.

this is a guy who was going to get 220 million from Sacramento. and talked about wanting to be a king for that money. if The New Orleans Pelicans say they want to resign Boogie he will be resigning for the Extra Money. there's no teaming up with him. he's going where the Money is. he's not an endorsement guy. that 30 million is going right to him.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers