ImageImageImageImageImage

MOZGOFF DENG

Moderators: Danny Darko, Kilroy, TyCobb

Dloading99
Pro Prospect
And1: 162

MOZGOFF DENG 

Post#1 » by Dloading99 » Mon Jul 3, 2017 4:18 am

These two names will be part of this team and part of Lakers history. I'd like fans to try to help us other Laker fans figure out the logic in signing these two guys. :noway: :nonono: where were the organization competitive team championship aspirations at? did they feel like this was part of a championship team.

1. Mitch Kupchack up until this point very smooth smart with the Contracts. he was only giving out one year contracts. he gave Nick young the four year contract but it was actually a pretty good contract. he signed Lou Williams to a very team friendly contract. and Lou was putting up production. he traded for Roy Hibbert and obviously after year one they let him walk as a free agent. Timofey Mozgoff on paper looked like the same player as Roy Hibbert shot blocker great free throw shooter. Why 4 years 64 million. this from a basketball standpoint made no sense. I'm a basketball guy it made no basketball sense. This is the same guy that got the Lakers Pau Gasol the same guy that drafted Marc Gasol. he's a very smart Gm learned from Jerry West. did he really make this move? then the Luol Deng they just drafted Brandon Ingram what was the point. Metta World Peace was already there for cheap mentorship on a non guaranteed contract. Meta probably would've played for free. Why sign a guy 4 years 72 million for mentorship. made no sense.

2. Jim Buss he had the timeline. he guaranteed we would be in the playoffs. obviously this came thinking we would get Lebron James. after drafting a great young core in Deangelo Russell Julius Randle and Brandon Ingram keeping the pick. why the rush to fluck up the cap and sign mozgoff and Deng. what did he see in scouting these guys. was this a guy who knew Jeanie was going to fire him. was this an f u to Jeanie saying he's going to screw up the cap since they are going to fire him? did he ever give an explanation of why these guys had to be signed? the fans were very vocal that we understood that we have a young core develop the young core this team doesn't have to make the playoffs why wasn't that enough for him.

3. Jeanie Buss obviously she knew what was going on. after the Kobe Contract did she try to ask her brother why are they giving out more massive contracts after getting out of the kobe contract? why not just develop the young players.

4. The media the articles the TV free agent coverage. the trolling. we all remember Romona Shelbourne and Aminu talking about the Lakers can't even get a meeting with Kevin Durant. they begged to get in the room with him. and they can't no free agents will meet with the Lakers. the Kevin Ding articles. Did this make Jim and Mitch snap and just say first free agents that say they'll come we are showing the money.

5. Luke Walton did he step in and say? Hey I need roster flexibility. did he say I can definitely use these guys. Mozgoff and Deng. or did he say it would be better for me to develop the young guys. some coaches like having seasoned veterans who can get them wins. some fans were very appealing of Luol Deng. great locker room guy he's going to show Brandon Ingram how to be a pro we posted his games for Miami.

Does anybody have video they can post of the press conference or introduction of these guys. I have been trying to find any statements from Mitch about Why Mozgoff and Deng had to be signed. I never heard media ask him why these signings? why the long big contracts for these guys? I definitely didn't get it on spectrum. so was there any where were the team elaborated on this. it would be great to see and offer some clarity to a very bizaree signing and free agent period. it's bizaree because they came out of nowhere and we were a team really on the one year plan. we weren't doing anything like the new York knicks.

Ryan West Jesse Buss they all were in the room. why make this move? mitch did what jim told him to do. but an organization like the Lakers don't do these signings. it's one of the most bizarre free agent signings I've seen in sports. did they have to spend a certain amount of money? why on these guys?
Tarik_shaq
Sophomore
And1: 31

Re: MOZGOFF DENG 

Post#2 » by Tarik_shaq » Mon Jul 3, 2017 4:29 am

It was the belief in that you cannot do a proper rebuild with a bunch of young guys, and that you need veterans to come in and set an example and mentor these young players in the locker room as well. No veterans were going to come to LA, and thus mozgov and deng being signed huge contracts with length to ensure they get those "veterans" to come to LA.

By the time their contracts would be over, d'angelo and would have been up for a renewed contract, and with the added wins by signing those so called veterans will show that the lakers were headed
In a positive direction after striking out on major key free agents.
Tarik_shaq
Sophomore
And1: 31

Post#3 » by Tarik_shaq » Mon Jul 3, 2017 4:31 am

In addition, you had to over pay for those veterans to consider coming to a young team late in their careers. With the increase of cap, a 16mil would have been equivalent to an 8 mil contract in the previous season. It was a gamble, and a very bad one.
gts1
Starter
And1: 1,232

Post#4 » by gts1 » Mon Jul 3, 2017 4:42 am

dead horse....
Wife: "you haven't heard a single thing I said"
Me: that's a funny way to start a conversation...
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 5,377

Post#5 » by Danny Darko » Mon Jul 3, 2017 5:48 am

XXBKXX
Senior
And1: 253

Post#6 » by XXBKXX » Mon Jul 3, 2017 6:43 am

This was all because of Jim's big mouth... Seriously... Which sucks cause we waited patiently to protect that upcoming cap space.. then it finally happened and we had enough for one max contract player to pair up with Kobe in his final years.. then summer came and we struck out.. So.. similar to what we're doing this year.. we maintained cap discipline and protected the cap space through overpaying one year deals (Jeremy Lin), and took on expiring contracts + assets.. (Calderon n pick).. then after a couple years missing on FAs, Kobe's massive contract was getting off our books which paced the way now for two max players... Surely we could pair up two max players together.. I mean... We are the Lakers... All Jim had to do was just show them the trophies in Jeanie's office and spell LA (sarcasm) ...

Then.. to the dismay of our execs.. not only did Jim/Mitch not get the FAs.. they didn't even land the meetings..

In parallel to all this... Mitch and especially Jim had a big PR problem.. they were getting crushed by fans and media.... Jim was also feeling the pressure. Especially since Jim was now approaching the final year in his self-imposed timeline ....

On top of that... it was becoming apparent very quickly that Dlo was the wrong pick.. and if they kept stacking the team with a bunch of rookies/kids.. then they would continue to be a mid 20 win team.. Jim knew he had to make something happen....So Jim went into last year's FA knowing they had to spend their cap to get some "help".. however they couldn't again land meetings with the Stars or even the fairly above average starters .. the smart thing to do would have been to continue to protect the cap discipline like previous years and spend wisely.. develop kids and maintain cap flexibility until eventually someone agrees.. or make improvements via trades...

But no.. Because of Jim's deadline they were going to spend last summer no matter what... They missed on everyone.. so.. just like when it's 1:45am and last round is called.. Mitch panicked... Frantically looked around the bar to find any chick who just had a full set of teeth to bring home.. Upon scanning the talent pool..Mitch somehow stopped at Mozgov and called him at 12:01.. then upped the per annum while including the fourth year to seal the deal.. (which has me believe Mozgovs agent played him like a piano and made him bid against himself.)

and there you have it.. we got Moz.. Deng went about the same way... Mitch increased per annum and offered the fourth year to seal the deal...

Hindsight's always 20/20 but even back then.. everyone knew these were bad deals.. three year contracts would have been bad.. four years with no team options are franchise crippling....

These moves.,..coupled with the miss in drafting D'Angelo set our rebuild back by at least 2 years imo..the real issue wasn't that Mitch/Jim couldn't land the top free agents... It was the fact that Jim felt the pressure and panicked.. on top of that they were both dinosaurs.. ill-equipped to compete in today's NBA market.. This isnt the same league that Jims daddy dominated.. things have changed and Jim/Mitch were dinosaurs whom lacked the vision/creativity to figure out a strategy to improve the team in today's environment.

To be fair, it still remains to be seen if Magic/Pelinka do better... One thing I do like about this new FO, is that they are both doing a good job in communicating their plans with us.. With Mitch, you could barely get him to admit to his own name let alone what his free agency plans were.. Magic on the other hand has actually been criticized for being TOO truthful to us..

Either way. make no mistake about it.. this is Magic's show now. If this goes terribly wrong.. Magic, moreso than Pelinka, will be the one who takes the hit for it.. They have already made a couple hit moves ... But their first test is seeing if they drafted correctly by choosing Lonzo... They called Zo the new face of their franchise and Magic even expects him to break most of his assist records.. Whether or not Zo will earn the right to be the face of the franchise still remains to be seen..but one thing is for certain... Hes the new face of the Magic/Pelinka regime. His successes will be their successes -- Along with his failures... To me, that's quite a lot to ask for a 19 year old. however, this will be our third number two pick and fourth pick within the top 7.. So.. just by those numbers.. I would say we are due to finally hit in the draft...

Sent from my XT1650 using RealGM mobile app
BK
-----------------------
Lakers / Angels / Dolphins

Return to Los Angeles Lakers