SL - Lakers vs Celtics Game Thread

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Re: SL - Lakers vs Celtics Game Thread 

Post#201 » by Slava » Sun Jul 9, 2017 10:09 am

Very surprised with how assertive and confident Kuzma was with his 3 point shot. If this isn't just a flash in the pan game, it would go a long way towards assuaging the D'Angelo loss. I think we still need to push the pace to get the best out of Lonzo but man once that shot starts falling, he is going to toy with defenses.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
RingsDontLie
Veteran
And1: 1,359

Post#202 » by RingsDontLie » Sun Jul 9, 2017 10:52 am

TyCobb wrote:Lonzo just creates with ease. It's a whole different feel to watching his games huh fellas? I think those black shoes were a good switch. :lol:

Seeing Ball yesterday gave me a huge sigh of relief over losing D'angelo. Ball looks like a true floor general out there. Opponents fans are going to focus on the stats, but we know the totality of the impact that Ball brings to the table.

You gotta like his attitude and how vocal he is on the floor. And wow, once we get Ball some real weapons to work with other than Ingram in the regular season, it's going to be showtime 2.0 8-)
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,545

Post#203 » by stan francisco » Sun Jul 9, 2017 12:11 pm

Lonzo is extremely efficient with the ball. Basically every pass he makes sets someone up. Have your hands ready, folks! This is boding well. We have our floor general.

Kuzma means business. So does Hart. Thomas Bryant's first game was great. We drafted well.

The a perfect catch and shoot SG next to Ball would be DLo. Oh well. Spilt milk.
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#204 » by Slava » Sun Jul 9, 2017 12:42 pm

Man Lavar needs to stop doing these post game interviews. I know the man has a business to sell but he's on ESPN video everyday and he's bound to say something stupid one of these days and throw a teammate under the bus.
cashflo
Senior
And1: 130

Post#205 » by cashflo » Sun Jul 9, 2017 12:57 pm

tugs wrote:Ingram, Deng, Randle, Nance, Tatum

What a luxury to have a versatile frontcourt rotation.

I assume you mean Deng' versatility would be his ability to switch seats on the bench... or at home?
macNcheese3
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Post#206 » by macNcheese3 » Sun Jul 9, 2017 1:09 pm

Beautiful game from Lonzo.
ItsThatEasy
Analyst
And1: 5,031

Post#207 » by ItsThatEasy » Sun Jul 9, 2017 2:40 pm

We might as well get used to explaining Lonzo's stat lines to haters.

Let's call up some Mav's/Net's fans and find out how they did it with J Kidd.
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 40,971

Post#208 » by Sedale Threatt » Sun Jul 9, 2017 3:19 pm

Slava wrote:Very surprised with how assertive and confident Kuzma was with his 3 point shot. If this isn't just a flash in the pan game, it would go a long way towards assuaging the D'Angelo loss. I think we still need to push the pace to get the best out of Lonzo but man once that shot starts falling, he is going to toy with defenses.

Yeah, Kuzma has been very fun watch so far. Carlesimo really likes him. He's got that hustle guy motor, and even though Tatum went off in the second half, I thought he got after it pretty hard on defense too. Seems like he at least wants to compete on that end, which is always a plus. If he really can shoot like he seems to be able to he's going to be a very versatile, valuable player.

With Lonzo, it's obviously ridiculously early, but I don't know if it's going to be a "when" as opposed to "if" with the shots falling. If he had even decent form, with his college percentage I'd just blow it off. But when you combine the poor shooting with that, seems like it might -- might -- be more of a long-term issue.

That said, his vision is incredible to behold. He creates so much stuff out of absolutely nothing, which is something very, very few players can do. (I'm already thinking about all the freaky lobs Nance is going to get.) That's probably my favorite skill set in basketball, so he's going to be fun to watch. Just hope the shooting is a blip as opposed to a thing, because he's going to be elite with an above-average 3-point shot.

And I agree about the D. He gets beat and is out of position a lot, but he's got really quick hands -- I can see him averaging a few steals per game in his prime -- and he's at least (usually) trying. Not to start a flame war or anything, but that was always my big beef with D'Angelo; he wouldn't even be in a defensive stance most of the time. That's not the case with Ball.
Karmaloop
General Manager
And1: 1,478

Post#209 » by Karmaloop » Sun Jul 9, 2017 3:21 pm

TyCobb wrote:Lonzo has great hands on defense. Wall like? I still stay so.

His physical limitations will keep him from being a great individual defender, but his length and quick hands are going to be his way to impact teams defensively. You saw it in the first game when he got beaten by the first step, but he used his length to recover and swatted a few shots.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#210 » by Slava » Sun Jul 9, 2017 3:43 pm

Sedale Threatt wrote:
Slava wrote:Very surprised with how assertive and confident Kuzma was with his 3 point shot. If this isn't just a flash in the pan game, it would go a long way towards assuaging the D'Angelo loss. I think we still need to push the pace to get the best out of Lonzo but man once that shot starts falling, he is going to toy with defenses.

Yeah, Kuzma has been very fun watch so far. Carlesimo really likes him. He's got that hustle guy motor, and even though Tatum went off in the second half, I thought he got after it pretty hard on defense too. Seems like he at least wants to compete on that end, which is always a plus. If he really can shoot like he seems to be able to he's going to be a very versatile, valuable player.

With Lonzo, it's obviously ridiculously early, but I don't know if it's going to be a "when" as opposed to "if" with the shots falling. If he had even decent form, with his college percentage I'd just blow it off. But when you combine the poor shooting with that, seems like it might -- might -- be more of a long-term issue.

That said, his vision is incredible to behold. He creates so much stuff out of absolutely nothing, which is something very, very few players can do. (I'm already thinking about all the freaky lobs Nance is going to get.) That's probably my favorite skill set in basketball, so he's going to be fun to watch. Just hope the shooting is a blip as opposed to a thing, because he's going to be elite with an above-average 3-point shot.

And I agree about the D. He gets beat and is out of position a lot, but he's got really quick hands -- I can see him averaging a few steals per game in his prime -- and he's at least (usually) trying. Not to start a flame war or anything, but that was always my big beef with D'Angelo; he wouldn't even be in a defensive stance most of the time. That's not the case with Ball.

With Ball's shooting I'm still not concerned with the shooting form because he is mostly getting his looks off defenders going underneath the screens so its not a case where the defender is hugging him and so he is not able to get his shot off well. If the defender closes up to force his shooting mechanics, he still has a very good first step to break down the defense off the dribble and he's crafty with his finishing at the basket.
Mirjalovic
Head Coach
And1: 1,780

Post#211 » by Mirjalovic » Sun Jul 9, 2017 4:02 pm

Kuzma doesn't move like a big. He's so fluid.
shawn_hemp wrote: a guy who is far worse than Robert Covington in Brandon Ingram, and a guy who is no better than TJ McConnell or Tony Wroten in D'Angelo Russell.

Sixers fans...

stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#212 » by stan francisco » Sun Jul 9, 2017 4:04 pm

Sedale Threatt wrote:

Agreed on all points.

Lonzo is a natural. I'm perfectly at ease with him being our floor general for the next decade. Every pass is on the money, sets the recipient up for success—either in scoring or isolation or in assist position. What's remarkable to me is how much he creates with so little effort. His timing on the passes reminds me more of Pistol Pete than Magic or Kidd. Man, oh man, the fast breaks to come with Nsnce, Ingram, Randle, Kuzma, Clarkson on the wings. Pistol Lonzo.

Kuzma will contribute lots this season already. He's ready to go. Great surprise to me. So was Bryant, and I love Hart. He's about as intense as Nwaba but with a shot. Give him a year and we might have ourselves a bulldog 3&D SG.
Mirjalovic
Head Coach
And1: 1,780

Post#213 » by Mirjalovic » Sun Jul 9, 2017 4:07 pm

Lonzo has ability to stay elite for 20 years. Like Jason Kidd.
shawn_hemp wrote: a guy who is far worse than Robert Covington in Brandon Ingram, and a guy who is no better than TJ McConnell or Tony Wroten in D'Angelo Russell.

Sixers fans...

Sedale Threatt
RealGM

Post#214 » by Sedale Threatt » Sun Jul 9, 2017 4:16 pm

Mirjalovic wrote:Kuzma doesn't move like a big. He's so fluid.

Yeah, it's crazy that he's 6-9, 220. (Side note: Makes you really appreciate how amazing Kevin Durant is at nearly 7 feet.) And he's long, too. I can easily see him defending shooting guards in certain situations, like Klay Thompson. Very intriguing.
Sedale Threatt
RealGM

Post#215 » by Sedale Threatt » Sun Jul 9, 2017 4:24 pm

Slava wrote:
Sedale Threatt wrote:

With Ball's shooting I'm still not concerned with the shooting form because he is mostly getting his looks off defenders going underneath the screens so its not a case where the defender is hugging him and so he is not able to get his shot off well. If the defender closes up to force his shooting mechanics, he still has a very good first step to break down the defense off the dribble and he's crafty with his finishing at the basket.

Those aren't even the shots you want him taking (defender crowding him). I highly, highly doubt he's ever going to be a marksman or anything along those lines, and that's fine. Not everybody can be Steph Curry. But in today's NBA, a guard is usually going to end up taking five or six 3s just in the flow of the game. A big part of his challenge will be learning to take the right ones, which will come with time and experience. But being dependable enough to knock down a couple of spot-ups a game will be massive. Do that and finish well, and he's a perennial All-Star. Hopefully he has the work ethic to improve on that, and by all accounts he seems to.
AGAVE
Junior
And1: 65

Post#216 » by AGAVE » Sun Jul 9, 2017 4:43 pm

Its early.
ZO will need to catch up fast to NBA defenses.
Coaching staff is going to need ALOT of video and diagram schemes to get him up to speed with the changes that coaches like POP & THIBS will throw at him
Respect Elgin Baylor
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#217 » by stan francisco » Sun Jul 9, 2017 4:53 pm

AGAVE wrote:Its early.
Coaching staff is going to need ALOT of video and diagram schemes to get him up to speed with the changes that coaches like POP & THIBS will throw at him

Yes and no.

Yes, like all others he has to face and surmounts new and bigger challenges than before on his way toward rings. That's not unique to him.

No, in the long term, none of what they throw at him will change the fact that he sees the game a bit ahead of everyone else. He's got a very special eye for the game. Sure, they'd make it harder for Pistol Pete, too... if you catch my drift.
Laker_Kid
Starter
And1: 591

Post#218 » by Laker_Kid » Sun Jul 9, 2017 6:25 pm

if lonzo can perfect a floater, he'd be really deadly. even more so than a mid range.
Crooked-I
General Manager
And1: 2,686

Post#219 » by Crooked-I » Sun Jul 9, 2017 6:30 pm

stan francisco wrote:
AGAVE wrote:Its early.

Yes and no.

Yes, like all others he has to face and surmounts new and bigger challenges than before on his way toward rings. That's not unique to him.

No, in the long term, none of what they throw at him will change the fact that he sees the game a bit ahead of everyone else. He's got a very special eye for the game. Sure, they'd make it harder for Pistol Pete, too... if you catch my drift.

I think he might struggle early on when teams scout him. It's already noticeable that when he drives he's going to kick 95% of the time, don't think that's going to work at the NBA level. Teams are going to make him finish so he's got to adjust. But in transition, yeah I don't think you can game plan for that. He's going to be deadly there.
LAKER FAN FOR LIFE

RIP Kobe and Gigi
AGAVE
Junior
And1: 65

Post#220 » by AGAVE » Sun Jul 9, 2017 7:25 pm

I think he might struggle early on when teams scout him. It's already noticeable that when he drives he's going to kick 95% of the time, don't think that's going to work at the NBA level. Teams are going to make him finish so he's got to adjust.

Yupp. That's how I see it.
Obviously teams will know Lakers' sets at times and study as to where ZO releases his passing game.
Movement in transition and different placements on top, good offensive movement, hopefully keeps opportunities abundant

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Respect Elgin Baylor

Return to Los Angeles Lakers