First two-way contract: Alex Caruso

Moderators: Danny Darko, Kilroy, TyCobb

BeanBurrito
Junior
And1: 125

First two-way contract: Alex Caruso 

Post#1 » by BeanBurrito » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:25 pm

Lakers Sign Alex Caruso

EL SEGUNDO – The Los Angeles Lakers have signed guard Alex Caruso to a two-way contract, it was announced today by General Manager Rob Pelinka. Per team policy, terms of the deal were not released.

Caruso spent the 2016-17 season with the Oklahoma City Blue of the NBA G League, notching 11.9 points, 5.2 assists, 3.9 rebounds and 2.2 steals in 50 games (46 starts). The College Station, TX, native played four seasons at Texas A&M (2012-16), earning All-SEC Second Team honors and was an SEC All-Defensive Team selection in 2015-16.

Per NBA rules, teams are permitted to have up to two players under two-way contracts on their roster at any given time, in addition to their 15-man regular season roster. As a two-way player, Caruso can spend up to 45 days with the Los Angeles Lakers, not including any time prior to the start of the South Bay Lakers’ training camp or after the conclusion of their G League season.

The 2017-18 season marks the first year NBA two-way contracts will be implemented, in which two-way players are paid a corresponding daily amount based on the number of days they play in each league. Only players with four or fewer years of NBA experience are eligible to sign two-way contracts, which can be a maximum of two seasons in length.

source: http://www.nba.com/lakers/releases/170713-alex-caruso-signed

"The Lakers are signing Alex Caruso, their summer league sensation, to a two year deal. It'll be a two-way contract so he can also develop in the GLeague." -Ramona Shelburne, ESPN Senior Writer
Spoiler:
Mirjalovic
Head Coach
And1: 1,780

Re: First two-way contract: Alex Caruso 

Post#2 » by Mirjalovic » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:33 pm

Nice, two way point guard with great size.
shawn_hemp wrote: a guy who is far worse than Robert Covington in Brandon Ingram, and a guy who is no better than TJ McConnell or Tony Wroten in D'Angelo Russell.

Sixers fans...

ISayshowmee
Veteran
And1: 1,696

Post#3 » by ISayshowmee » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:38 pm

Get better with your defensive play...Lakers will have a spot for you !!
Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,511

Post#4 » by Michael Lucky » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:48 pm

Really came out of nowhere. Was never really a good player in college either. Must have made a ton of strides last year in his game.
snaquille oatmeal
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,763

Post#5 » by snaquille oatmeal » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:50 pm

Wth is a two way contract?
Forum permissions
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot trade for basketball reasons in this forum
You cannot but I can...five rings!
TKainZero
Head Coach
And1: 3,275

Post#6 » by TKainZero » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:53 pm

snaquille oatmeal wrote:Wth is a two way contract?

I don't really know

But, I'm guessing it's a mutal option?
USA Celtics in full effect. Amazing chemistry building experience right there for the main core of the team

Proceeds to finish 7th and shames the entire nation!
MAMBAEMD
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,622

Post#7 » by MAMBAEMD » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:01 pm

"The two-way contract is a new addition to the NBA that allows teams to develop players in the G-League while not taking up a roster spot. Players on two-way contracts can spend up to 45 days with the team while the rest of the time will be spent in the G-League. For Caruso this means most of his time will be with the South Bay Lakers, developing his game."
Formerly lakerRD
ock
Pro Prospect
And1: 13

Post#8 » by ock » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:53 pm

Really like this guy's potential. Good size, good passer, knows where his teammates are. If he can move his feet defensively, he'd be solid.

"I have no problem following somebody who's worth being followed. I will follow Kobe anywhere." - Ron Artest
Hunter103
Assistant Coach
And1: 93

Post#9 » by Hunter103 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:53 pm

Also, teams can have two two-way contracts in addition to their regular 15 players, so none of the backup guys need get cut
gts1
Starter
And1: 1,232

Post#10 » by gts1 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:55 pm

lakerRD wrote:"The two-way contract is a new addition to the NBA that allows teams to develop players in the G-League while not taking up a roster spot. Players on two-way contracts can spend up to 45 days with the team while the rest of the time will be spent in the G-League. For Caruso this means most of his time will be with the South Bay Lakers, developing his game."

add that time spent with the Lakers while the G-Legue season is not active does not count against the 45 days
Wife: "you haven't heard a single thing I said"
Me: that's a funny way to start a conversation...
dub81
Sixth Man
And1: 182

Post#11 » by dub81 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:06 pm

Develop his game and come back next year as Ball's back up. I pray we get a vet to backup and show Lonzo the ropes.
LakersSoul
Head Coach
And1: 4,486

Post#12 » by LakersSoul » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:14 pm

Obvious and good to see this signing.

Next:
- Resign Nwaba after he clears waivers.
- Sign a second 2-way guy but who?? Thomas? Save it?
- Sign a backup PG.

"Westy, LeBron + AD to rule the West.
Return of the King, the Lakers."
BeanBurrito
Junior

Post#13 » by BeanBurrito » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:19 pm

LakersSoul wrote:Obvious and good to see this signing.

Next:
- Sign a backup PG.

I was actually wondering if they would resign Nwaba on a two-way contract if he clears waivers? Should be interesting to keep an eye on. I also don't know if two-way players are allowed to train with the main team, which would be something to consider with Nwaba maybe.
Spoiler:
LakersSoul
Head Coach
And1: 4,486

Post#14 » by LakersSoul » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:33 pm

SundayWhites wrote:

Next:
- Sign a backup PG.

I was actually wondering if they would resign Nwaba on a two-way contract if he clears waivers? Should be interesting to keep an eye on. I also don't know if two-way players are allowed to train with the main team, which would be something to consider with Nwaba maybe.

I think Nwaba is a roster player and not a 2 way candidate. A 2 way player can only play 45 games but if the Lakers wanted, they can sign him as a 2 way player then convert him to the roster after the 45 games. A bit complicated and lowballing but Nwaba deserves a spot on the roster.

"Westy, LeBron + AD to rule the West.
Return of the King, the Lakers."
BeanBurrito
Junior

Post#15 » by BeanBurrito » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:41 pm

LakersSoul wrote:
SundayWhites wrote:

Next:
- Sign a backup PG.

I think Nwaba is a roster player and not a 2 way candidate. A 2 way player can only play 45 games but if the Lakers wanted, they can sign him as a 2 way player then convert him to the roster after the 45 games. A bit complicated and lowballing but Nwaba deserves a spot on the roster.

Actually its 45 days but I just don't know if practices count as days. I would think it refers to 45 days on the 15-man roster but not completely sure. But I like Nwaba too, just wondering if it would make sense to do it this way.
Spoiler:
Laker_Kid
Starter
And1: 591

Post#16 » by Laker_Kid » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:01 pm

well deserved caruso. good luck out there.

also, i was thinking nwaba was to be resigned as a reserve. while bryant and caruso get the two way deals. we'll see.
Edrees
RealGM
And1: 11,114

Post#17 » by Edrees » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:29 pm

So glad we signed this kid!

At this point, you can't deny he's the best two-way player in the league. :lol:
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#18 » by Spens1 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:12 pm

why are we signing this scrub, apart from one game i thought he has been absolute trash and not even g-league standard.
reborn123
Pro Prospect
And1: 780

Post#19 » by reborn123 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:58 pm

Spens1 wrote:why are we signing this scrub, apart from one game i thought he has been absolute trash and not even g-league standard.

He's a pest ala Dellavedova.
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,633

Post#20 » by danfantastk32 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:28 pm

lakerRD wrote:"The two-way contract is a new addition to the NBA that allows teams to develop players in the G-League while not taking up a roster spot. Players on two-way contracts can spend up to 45 days with the team while the rest of the time will be spent in the G-League. For Caruso this means most of his time will be with the South Bay Lakers, developing his game."

You can bring up, and play guys from the D-League already. I read somewhere that the other difference was that you get paid D-League rates for D-League games.....and pro-rates with the big-boys.

Could be wrong. Either way...it's low-priced, and doesn't count against our 15-man roster. I think this is a good idea, and I hope more teams use this. It could turn the D-League into what it was actually supposed be.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers