Kyrie Irving

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

Dloading99
Pro Prospect
And1: 162

Re: Kyrie Irving 

Post#221 » by Dloading99 » Wed Aug 2, 2017 10:50 pm

That KD move was brutal.

Basically the Warriors are a team you just can't beat. with all their guys there it's an all star team. you can't beat them. the only thing that would beat the warriors and this would never happen is Russell Westbrook Devin Booker Kawaii Leonard Anthony Davis and Kristof Porzingis. it's basically an all star team.

it's like a cheat code team.

back to Irving. when you trade him you aren't getting equal talent back. he's too good of a player. in todays Player NBA players are dictating everything. that's why it's good we have a Lonzo Ball who wants to be here and an Ingram. cause I've never seen the NBA like it is where basically Players dictate everything. how did the owners agree to this. they basically turned the league over to the players.
AcecardZ
Lead Assistant
And1: 541

Post#222 » by AcecardZ » Thu Aug 3, 2017 4:12 am

milesfides wrote:Not perfect but he's an attractive elite player who had a major role winning a championship.

If you can't put him in one of your three spots for a championships core, you've got a problem. Again, cleveland's problem was that KD pulled a punk.a.b. move skewing everything. Cleveland didn't have the depth to match up with arguably the most stacked team of all time.

But if you can't build a contender with Kyrie at a budget salary on your roster, you suck as a fake GM.

Here's the flaw in your logic. Which one of Golden State's best three players could be swapped for Kyrie Irving resulting in a net positive for the Warriors? I'll answer the question for you. The answer is ZERO. Thompson, Curry and Durant are all better than a Kyrie Irving so suggesting a championship team could be built with Kyrie as second or third best player is most likely wrong.
Sometimes being wrong is awesome!!! :D
AcecardZ
Lead Assistant

Post#223 » by AcecardZ » Thu Aug 3, 2017 4:17 am

Dloading99 wrote:He needs to get to the pelicans. I would do everything I could do to get him with Anthony Davis.

I said the exact same thing wrt to Kyrie going to New Orleans. He would be a good pairing with AD while Boogie Cousins and LeBron would be equally devastating for other reasons. Clearly attempting to play GS style basketball isn't going to get the current Cavaliers team past the Warriors. They should shift strategy to a big lineup that the undersized Draymond and skinny Durant will have difficulty guarding. Cousins and LeBron could be just the large lineup to potentially give the Warriors trouble. Warriors probably still win but as the Cavs are currently comprised they'll NEVER beat this current Warrriors team so they have nothing to lose by going with a LeBron/Cousins pairing.
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,637

Re: RE: Re: Lonzo vs Irving 

Post#224 » by danfantastk32 » Thu Aug 3, 2017 4:20 am

Shot Caller wrote:what i'm trying to say here is, we don't just assume here that kyrie will be a slouch when he finally has his own team. i'm actually on your side, i don't want him because our team now is actually fit or even built for lonzo though i'm just trying to be fair, i believe wherever kyrie lands he can be very good and may turn a franchise around.

Yeah, I totally agree the guy is quite a talent. I just wonder what would be a good spot for him. I don't think he's going to do very well as the sole talent on a team ala last-years Westbrook. I think it would look alot like OKC....but not as good. But then you can't send him to a team with a star....because he wants to be THE man on the team. It's an interesting problem. I think the most glaring issue, is he lead the Cavs in shots....and yet he's still unhappy. That just seems like a problem between his ears.

We will soon find out. I think the Knicks are prob a good place for him. Porzingis has talent....but Kyrie can dominate there, and make it his team. Will he pass, and play well with others (aka tripple-dubs like Harden and Westbrook?)
AcecardZ
Lead Assistant

Post#225 » by AcecardZ » Thu Aug 3, 2017 4:25 am

If Carmelo isn't interested in playing for Cleveland what do the Knicks have to trade for Kyrie? I don't see any scenario where Kyrie can end up in New York unless the Knicks give up Porzingis and if the Knicks do that to get Kyrie Irving the Knicks will be a 14 win team. Nice strategy to get a good lottery pick I guess.
milesfides
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,449

Post#226 » by milesfides » Thu Aug 3, 2017 6:26 am

I don't have Klay in front of Kyrie at all.

First, Klay's shooting percentages are all inflated by the fact that he's mostly a catch and shoot- 3-and-D player.

There's a lot more pressure on Kyrie.

I think Klay is overrated. He's never shown that ability to put that ball on the floor and create or shoot.Kyrie, on the other hand, that's his forte. He's an elite iso offensive player. Also, I think Klay is overrated on defense. Draymond Green is an elite help defender, and Kevin Durant, with the reduced responsibilities on offense, has become great help defender...

At the end of day, I think Klay has a lot more to prove that Kryie. Klay is like a a fifth wheel. Kryie? He's made some huge plays and carried his teams when they were dead in the water, even with Lebron.

To me, Kyrie is another class above Klay. I don't want to mention Kyrie's accomplishments, but a a 25 year old, his career so far has been of the best, with or without Lebron. Those are just...facts.
“OH! Caruso parachutes in! You cannot stop him - you can only hope to contain him!” -Kevin Harlan, LAL-GSW 4/4/19
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,637

Post#227 » by danfantastk32 » Thu Aug 3, 2017 6:50 am

milesfides wrote:I don't have Klay in front of Kyrie at all.

First, Klay's shooting percentages are all inflated by the fact that he's mostly a catch and shoot- 3-and-D player.

There's a lot more pressure on Kyrie.

I think Klay is overrated. He's never shown that ability to put that ball on the floor and create or shoot.Kyrie, on the other hand, that's his forte. He's an elite iso offensive player. Also, I think Klay is overrated on defense. Draymond Green is an elite help defender, and Kevin Durant, with the reduced responsibilities on offense, has become great help defender...

At the end of day, I think Klay has a lot more to prove that Kryie. Klay is like a a fifth wheel. Kryie? He's made some huge plays and carried his teams when they were dead in the water, even with Lebron.

To me, Kyrie is another class above Klay. I don't want to mention Kyrie's accomplishments, but a a 25 year old, his career so far has been of the best, with or without Lebron. Those are just...facts.

I agree with most of what you said. I like Klay's game, myself....but I hear what your saying. Kyrie certainly has to carry more weight. I will point out...that before KD, there were many times when Klay was out there without Curry and Draymond...and was holding down the fort. The guy can get hot....and really take over.

But I agree.....I'm not building a team around Klay. F that. I don't know if I'd want to build around Kyrie either....but I'd certainly pick him over Klay.
Shot Caller
Ballboy
And1: 26

Re: RE: Re: Lonzo vs Irving 

Post#228 » by Shot Caller » Thu Aug 3, 2017 12:11 pm

danfantastk32 wrote:
Shot Caller wrote:what i'm trying to say here is, we don't just assume here that kyrie will be a slouch when he finally has his own team. i'm actually on your side, i don't want him because our team now is actually fit or even built for lonzo though i'm just trying to be fair, i believe wherever kyrie lands he can be very good and may turn a franchise around.

Yeah, I totally agree the guy is quite a talent. I just wonder what would be a good spot for him. I don't think he's going to do very well as the sole talent on a team ala last-years Westbrook. I think it would look alot like OKC....but not as good. But then you can't send him to a team with a star....because he wants to be THE man on the team. It's an interesting problem. I think the most glaring issue, is he lead the Cavs in shots....and yet he's still unhappy. That just seems like a problem between his ears.

We will soon find out. I think the Knicks are prob a good place for him. Porzingis has talent....but Kyrie can dominate there, and make it his team. Will he pass, and play well with others (aka tripple-dubs like Harden and Westbrook?)

he wants to leave maybe because he doesn't get enough credit. lebron acts like he got no help, threatening to leave again and kyrie feels he is disregarded.
milesfides
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#229 » by milesfides » Fri Aug 4, 2017 12:02 am

Kyrie won as the 2nd guy on a thin Cavs team. Klay won as the 4th most important player in both championships (Iguodala was ahead of him in 2015, Kevin Durant in 2017).

Maybe if he had a bigger opportunity? Well, he had the 2nd most FGA and minutes in their 2015 championship, and 3rd in those respective categories in 2017. That's a hell of an opportunity, even an ideal situation, especially for his skillset. But he was never even the Warriors' 3rd best player.

He'd average 30 a game on a different team, but his offensive efficiency would decrease without the open looks he gets on the Warriors, in fact, he's been feasting on the most efficient shots in basketball. Also, his D would most likely slip, without the Warriors league-leading team defense.

Kyrie's game has actually changed very little with or without Lebron. He can play with a dominant playmaker and scorer and without him.
“OH! Caruso parachutes in! You cannot stop him - you can only hope to contain him!” -Kevin Harlan, LAL-GSW 4/4/19
Dloading99
Pro Prospect

Post#230 » by Dloading99 » Fri Aug 4, 2017 12:18 am

it's not sexy but I think Denver has a lot to offer.

their Draft pick and Jamal Murray. who I think played with Lebron would be a perfect player to run that offense. doesn't shoot too much. but can get hot. and score with anyone. can shoot the three. and run the pick and roll.

Kyrie can play with Jokic.

so teams like Denver New Orleans Phoenix. players with young players that can be shipped somewhere. I hate to say it. even Boston. when you acquire those assets you become a player.

teams like the clippers have nothing. Deandre Jordan? nope Dallas has Dennis Smith Jr. that's attractive because you see what he can be. Young guys under control. if I was Cleveland I would try to pull a hershal walker and just take all the young players from sac give me Dearon Fox give me skal labissier and give me Harry Giles.

And Milwawkee has Jabari Parker and Malcom Brondon
milesfides
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#231 » by milesfides » Fri Aug 4, 2017 12:22 am

And playing alongside Lonzo, he'd be a great spot up shooter and finisher on the break. He would also help Lonzo's supposed weakness in P/R in the halfcourt, where Kyrie is a monster.

I also think the claims against his defense is off-base. He's not a great defender, but the great defensive point guards are really role players. Almost all the elite point guards are elite because of their offense.

Point guards benefit or suffer from their team's defense. They're the victims of screens, mismatches, etc. They're the front line of the defense, which is the easiest to exploit.

So the quality of their defense is where dynamic wings and versatile/defensive fours come in, and a cohesive team defense. Take the Warriors, for example. It's not like Steph Curry is a good defender, but his rating took a jump exactly when Draymond Green became a starter and elite defender.

You get an athletic elite defensive big like Nerlens Noel (sorry, it's unlikely we'll be able to get a Draymond Green clone), Brandon Ingram to step up and become what Kevin Durant became on the Warriors, and maybe Larry Nance to stay healthy, then we can become a decent defensive team.

Kyrie Irving's defense was actually solid even before Lebron got there. This past year was really the outlier, it wasn't good, but then again, it was a bad defensive year for the entire Cavs' team. Lebron, Tristan Thompson, Iman Shumpert all had the worst defensive seasons of their careers.

As a side note: Kevin Love, surprisingly, had the best defensive rating among their starters for the past 3 years. He was very good (102 points allowed per 100 possessions) to decent (107). He's not a rim protector, but he's holding his own.
loveshaq786
Pro Prospect
And1: 86

Post#232 » by loveshaq786 » Fri Aug 4, 2017 1:07 pm

milesfides wrote:And playing alongside Lonzo, he'd be a great spot up shooter and finisher on the break. He would also help Lonzo's supposed weakness in P/R in the halfcourt, where Kyrie is a monster.

I also think the claims against his defense is off-base. He's not a great defender, but the great defensive point guards are really role players. Almost all the elite point guards are elite because of their offense.

Point guards benefit or suffer from their team's defense. They're the victims of screens, mismatches, etc. They're the front line of the defense, which is the easiest to exploit.

So the quality of their defense is where dynamic wings and versatile/defensive fours come in, and a cohesive team defense. Take the Warriors, for example. It's not like Steph Curry is a good defender, but his rating took a jump exactly when Draymond Green became a starter and elite defender.

You get an athletic elite defensive big like Nerlens Noel (sorry, it's unlikely we'll be able to get a Draymond Green clone), Brandon Ingram to step up and become what Kevin Durant became on the Warriors, and maybe Larry Nance to stay healthy, then we can become a decent defensive team.

Kyrie Irving's defense was actually solid even before Lebron got there. This past year was really the outlier, it wasn't good, but then again, it was a bad defensive year for the entire Cavs' team. Lebron, Tristan Thompson, Iman Shumpert all had the worst defensive seasons of their careers.

As a side note: Kevin Love, surprisingly, had the best defensive rating among their starters for the past 3 years. He was very good (102 points allowed per 100 possessions) to decent (107). He's not a rim protector, but he's holding his own.

Great post. Another thing that I have been thinking about, is when did Kevin loves contract become almost unmovable. He would also be great along side Lonzo as a great stretch four. If Randall proves to be inconsistent with the three ball, I think it's time to MoveOn from him. I wonder if love could be had for Deng and Randall, And as Laker fans, Do wewant this UCLA cat on our team?
larry14r
Bench Warmer
And1: 131

Post#233 » by larry14r » Fri Aug 4, 2017 3:09 pm

loveshaq786 wrote:
milesfides wrote:And playing alongside Lonzo, he'd be a great spot up shooter and finisher on the break. He would also help Lonzo's supposed weakness in P/R in the halfcourt, where Kyrie is a monster.

Great post. Another thing that I have been thinking about, is when did Kevin loves contract become almost unmovable. He would also be great along side Lonzo as a great stretch four. If Randall proves to be inconsistent with the three ball, I think it's time to MoveOn from him. I wonder if love could be had for Deng and Randall, And as Laker fans, Do wewant this UCLA cat on our team?

NO.
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,189

Post#234 » by LAKESHOW » Fri Aug 4, 2017 5:15 pm

Cleveland is LeBrons town. Not Kyrie. LeBron has no trade clause. Not Kyrie. LeBron has a 1 year deal. Kyrie's locked in for 2. That owner will say FU. You play out your contract. Who cares about your feelings.
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
Dloading99
Pro Prospect

Post#235 » by Dloading99 » Sat Aug 5, 2017 6:59 am

The Clippers have to be the dumbest team if this was a possibility they should've just shipped Paul to Cleveland for Irving. but yeah Kyrie is either staying in Cleveland or going somewhere with assets. what sucks is if you keep him he bounces right after Lebron bounces for nothing. Maybe no one has bought it up but what about Memphis get a young guy who's under control went to Ohio State in Mike Conley. a guy who LeBron will still like playing with.
karkinos
Head Coach
And1: 2,058

Post#236 » by karkinos » Sun Aug 6, 2017 1:51 pm

Dloading99 wrote:That KD move was brutal.

Basically the Warriors are a team you just can't beat. with all their guys there it's an all star team. you can't beat them. the only thing that would beat the warriors and this would never happen is Russell Westbrook Devin Booker Kawaii Leonard Anthony Davis and Kristof Porzingis. it's basically an all star team.

it's like a cheat code team.

back to Irving. when you trade him you aren't getting equal talent back. he's too good of a player. in todays Player NBA players are dictating everything. that's why it's good we have a Lonzo Ball who wants to be here and an Ingram. cause I've never seen the NBA like it is where basically Players dictate everything. how did the owners agree to this. they basically turned the league over to the players.

nba lockout, cp3/lebron lobbyist

players wanted a bigger cut of the pie and for good reason. the excess nba profits were only going to the top at a ludicrous rate.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers