ImageImageImageImageImage

Why are we targeting lebron?

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

Showtime:Part2
General Manager
And1: 489

Why are we targeting lebron? 

Post#1 » by Showtime:Part2 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:53 pm

Serious question. He will be 34 and we will be giving him a super max. One bad injury and we will cripple our franchise for years. And the thing is, injuries start to come with that many miles on the body. Nobody beats Father Time. We might squeeze one good year out of him then be stuck with his albatross contract for years. And in that one year we aren't beating the warriors anyway. I'm very much for targeting paul George and some of the other fa, but should we just flat out say no to lebron?
Warspite:

Prince + filler for Kobe Bryant
To be honest the way Prince has played and with Kobes injury/age/mileage Im not sure I would do that deal either. Still Prince is more important and he wins the head to head battles with Kobe.
TJM217
Pro Prospect
And1: 242

Re: Why are we targeting lebron? 

Post#2 » by TJM217 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:04 pm

Honestly I feel like the ugliest girl in school during prom season and would be happy if one of the jocks ask me to the dance. Even if I will never be prom queen and it will likely end with being felt up in the back of a Chevy at make out point, at least he pick us.
Lake Show Baby!!!
Showtime:Part2
General Manager
And1: 489

Post#3 » by Showtime:Part2 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:16 pm

TJM217 wrote:Honestly I feel like the ugliest girl in school during prom season and would be happy if one of the jocks ask me to the dance. Even if I will never be prom queen and it will likely end with being felt up in the back of a Chevy at make out point, at least he pick us.

Lolol. Fair enough
Warspite:

Prince + filler for Kobe Bryant

To be honest the way Prince has played and with Kobes injury/age/mileage Im not sure I would do that deal either. Still Prince is more important and he wins the head to head battles with Kobe.
Hunter103
Assistant Coach
And1: 93

Post#4 » by Hunter103 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:58 pm

Regular max, Lebron can't get a supermax from...anybody I think?
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#5 » by Slava » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:00 pm

Even if Lebron comes here, he won't commit to anything more than a 1+1 max deal so he has an out if this doesn't work out. At that point we'd be stupid to even be debating if we should go for Lebron. He's still the best player on the planet.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
magicbesteva
Junior
And1: 53

Post#6 » by magicbesteva » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:04 pm

Do you really think Lebron would sign a long term contract? At most he would sign a two year deal. There's way too many positives not to go after him. Even if he is older he's still the most dominant player in the NBA. The Lakers would turn into instant contenders. Imagine how much he would help our young players develop. Don't forget the days when Darius Morris, Kendall Marshall, Carlos Boozer, Nick Young and Ryan Kelly were some of our best players. It's not even a question do you go after Lebron. Hell ya you go after the best player in the game.
what would jack bauer do?
Veteran
And1: 295

Post#7 » by what would jack bauer do? » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:13 pm

I hate Lebron, but we'd be idiots not to bring him over if we have the chance. Even if he's 70% of the player he was this last season he's still a top 10 player in the NBA; that's how good he is. I will say after being burned so hard by Nash, Kobe, and even Dwight to an extent, if there is any sign of his body starting to deteriorate we better stear clear. It will be his 16th season. We've seen the toll of a career that long; the wheels just start to fall off at some point. Kobe looked like he was 25 years old again a month before he tore his achilles and look where that got us.

Actually, after the 2018 season is over I think Paul George may not even be a top 20 player in the NBA with the stars that are on the rise and the kids being drafted. I guess really we have to see how the next season pans out for each player in the NBA and even at that point it'll still be difficult to forecast how they'll look in the 2018-19 season.
larry14r
Bench Warmer
And1: 131

Post#8 » by larry14r » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:19 pm

magicbesteva wrote:Do you really think Lebron would sign a long term contract? At most he would sign a two year deal. There's way too many positives not to go after him. Even if he is older he's still the most dominant player in the NBA. The Lakers would turn into instant contenders. Imagine how much he would help our young players develop. Don't forget the days when Darius Morris, Kendall Marshall, Carlos Boozer, Nick Young and Ryan Kelly were some of our best players. It's not even a question do you go after Lebron. Hell ya you go after the best player in the game.

Even though the chances of getting past GS won't be an easy one.
BEazy
RealGM
And1: 2,483

Post#9 » by BEazy » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:45 pm

Still say **** LeBron and we need to focus on Westbrook and PG.

Long Live The Black Mamba. Kobe Bean Bryant Laker For Life. 8/24
BeanBurrito
Junior
And1: 125

Post#10 » by BeanBurrito » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:50 pm

Because Magic and Pelinka made it their plan tbh. And we want them to succeed bc it means Lakers also succeed. So by extension, we want LeBron.
Spoiler:
leeprettyp
Assistant Coach
And1: 680

Post#11 » by leeprettyp » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:17 pm

I am okay with only signing Lebron in 2018 if that's what it takes to entice Paul George to come. But we better not trade Ingram or Lonzo in any scenario that comes up. It can do some good for our two baby Lakers to learn how to win at this level for established superstars.

My only issue with Lebron is can he accept as an aging superstar that Lonzo needs to have that ball in his hands more to facilitate and Ingram isnt going to be relegated to being a stand in the corner spot up shooter.

Honestly, I'm okay with making a play on some other potential game changers in the 2018 free agency and keeping our young core. LBJ has that name on the back of the jersey instead of the name on the front of the jersey thing going.

P.S. If (when) LBJ comes can he please leave Brian Lebronhorst in Cleveland or is it a package deal? lol (j/k)
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,273

Post#12 » by mademan » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:22 pm

leeprettyp wrote:I am okay with only signing Lebron in 2018 if that's what it takes to entice Paul George to come. But we better not trade Ingram or Lonzo in any scenario that comes up. It can do some good for our two baby Lakers to learn how to win at this level for established superstars.

My only issue with Lebron is can he accept as an aging superstar that Lonzo needs to have that ball in his hands more to facilitate and Ingram isnt going to be relegated to being a stand in the corner spot up shooter.

Honestly, I'm okay with making a play on some other potential game changers in the 2018 free agency and keeping our young core. LBJ has that name on the back of the jersey instead of the name on the front of the jersey thing going.

P.S. If (when) LBJ comes can he please leave Brian Lebronhorst in Cleveland or is it a package deal? lol (j/k)

IMO, Lebrons been trying to take a stepback, especially this year, but he couldnt. The playoffs somehow covered up how terribly mediocre the Cavs were this regular season, and even moreso with Lebron on the bench. I'm sure he still wants to be considered the best player on the team, but I think he wants to conserve himself, at least for the RS.

Hopefully Ingram takes a massive step forward this year, Lonzo proves he can do what he did in summer league in the NBA and Lance/Kuzma are able to settle into good roles for them. Add in PG/Lebron and a couple ring chasers and LA is back in business
leeprettyp
Assistant Coach

Post#13 » by leeprettyp » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:28 pm

mademan wrote:
leeprettyp wrote:I am okay with only signing Lebron in 2018 if that's what it takes to entice Paul George to come. But we better not trade Ingram or Lonzo in any scenario that comes up. It can do some good for our two baby Lakers to learn how to win at this level for established superstars.

IMO, Lebrons been trying to take a stepback, especially this year, but he couldnt. The playoffs somehow covered up how terribly mediocre the Cavs were this regular season, and even moreso with Lebron on the bench. I'm sure he still wants to be considered the best player on the team, but I think he wants to conserve himself, at least for the RS.

Hopefully Ingram takes a massive step forward this year, Lonzo proves he can do what he did in summer league in the NBA and Lance/Kuzma are able to settle into good roles for them. Add in PG/Lebron and a couple ring chasers and LA is back in business

Lbj has no one to be mad at but himself. He literately hand picked all his teammates and even got some over market contract deals. No one else was paying Shumpert than kind of money lol.

One of the greatest to ever play but other stars struggle playing alongside of him because he can be ball dominant. But like I said if he can understand and accept that he is an aging superstar and Lonzo and Ingram are the cornerstones and need to be seriously involved I'm okay with it. But, if the diva tendency comes with him... Lakers fans won't be too fond of the drama
mcscotty
Rookie
And1: 486

Post#14 » by mcscotty » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:28 pm

I could eat my words, but there's no way the Cavs are trading LeBron. Even if they are 100% certain he's going to walk, they'll still roll with prime LeBron for one more season.
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,273

Post#15 » by mademan » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:30 pm

leeprettyp wrote:
mademan wrote:

Lbj has no one to be mad at but himself. He literately hand picked all his teammates and even got some over market contract deals. No one else was paying Shumpert than kind of money lol.

One of the greatest to ever play but other stars struggle playing alongside of him because he can be ball dominant. But like I said if he can understand and accept that he is an aging superstar and Lonzo and Ingram are the cornerstones and need to be seriously involved I'm okay with it. But, if the diva tendency comes with him... Lakers fans won't be too found of the drama

Lebrons a great great player. He's also a terrible GM. Hopefully he comes to LA and lets the FO do their thing, besides a couple token vet min ring chase signings to appease Lebron (like Wade).
leeprettyp
Assistant Coach

Post#16 » by leeprettyp » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:31 pm

as long as were not the team trading for him.

Our offer stops at Randle/Clarkson and 1 or 2 future 1st rounders and that is even steep. Anything else, we need to walk away.

LBJ holds the leverage because of his NTC and he can pick where he'd like to be moved
leeprettyp
Assistant Coach

Post#17 » by leeprettyp » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:32 pm

mademan wrote:
leeprettyp wrote:
mademan wrote:

One of the greatest to ever play but other stars struggle playing alongside of him because he can be ball dominant. But like I said if he can understand and accept that he is an aging superstar and Lonzo and Ingram are the cornerstones and need to be seriously involved I'm okay with it. But, if the diva tendency comes with him... Lakers fans won't be too found of the drama

Lebrons a great great player. He's also a terrible GM. Hopefully he comes to LA and lets the FO do their thing, besides a couple token vet min ring chase signings to appease Lebron (like Wade).

I trust Pelinka and Magic will have that conversation when the time comes
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#18 » by Slava » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:48 pm

Nice to see you back Lee :wave:
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
MAMBAEMD
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,622

Post#19 » by MAMBAEMD » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:04 pm

No reason to give up any current valuable assets to get Lebron.
For me, that includes Lonzo, Ingram, future 1sts, and possibly Randle.
Unless CLE takes Deng and Clarkson, just sit tight until next year .
And yes. Of course we should target LBJ if he wants to come here next year .
He is still a top 3 player in this league, imo , and he'd be a tremendous FA magnet.
And if Westbrook also wants to come here, that'd be a great problem to have.
Formerly lakerRD
larry14r
Bench Warmer
And1: 131

Post#20 » by larry14r » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:29 pm

ScHoolBoy B wrote:Still say **** LeBron and we need to focus on Westbrook and PG.

Westbook is going to take the supermax in OKC.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers