ImageImageImageImageImage

Why are we targeting lebron?

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

SlimShady83
General Manager
And1: 1,185

Re: Why are we targeting lebron? 

Post#181 » by SlimShady83 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:08 am

stan francisco wrote:All we need is Westbrook, and then either PG or LBJ. We won't need three superstars.

Why LBJ? Not my favorite either, but neither is PG. Most people would say it's because he's the best player in the world.

Westbrook at SG next to Ball? I like it, just wonder if RW digs the thought of it after this season...

RW and PG hands down

Let's hope Ball has a great rookie season < even if we don't make the Playoffs he needs to show he has what it takes ... I'll be happy with that :)
Bring back Defense
Dloading99
Pro Prospect
And1: 162

Post#182 » by Dloading99 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:14 am

Lebron is not going back to Cleveland

I said this earlier in the thread you can read it. Basically I said this has nothing to do with Basketball. As you've seen Lebron being very vocal this is about him not wanting to play for Dan Gilbert anymore.

Dan Gilberts actions off the court has made Lebron very frustrated about playing for this guy.

Everybody talks about the basketball if another Owner owned the Cavs Lebron would sign a five year deal.

I wouldn't be surprised if that's the same reason Kyrie doesn't want to play for Dan Gilbert. I think those guys don't want to play for the owner has nothing to do with basketball just saying.

now to the Basketball Lebron is going to consider the Lakers I think it's between the Lakers Rockets and Clippers Lakers might bring in Carmelo to get Lebron here. just saying Lebron wants to play with Melo. I'm hearing Houston can't get the deal done with Melo.

But Lebron to the Lakers is almost a done deal. I know he has aspirations to be an owner and I can definitely see Lebron being a minority owner of the Lakers one day. just saying. it's all business.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,545

Post#183 » by stan francisco » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:39 pm

I'm not an LBJ fan, but this would be why I would go after LBJ over PG13. LBJ is the perfect PF next to Ingram. PG13 can't match him there.

https://kingjamesgospel.com/2016/11/09/lebron-james-permanent-power-forward/
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
loveshaq786
Pro Prospect
And1: 86

Post#184 » by loveshaq786 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:26 am

I agree. Maybe we should go after LeBron and cousins instead.

Worst comes worse... we sign brook Lopez, kcp, lebron
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,545

Post#185 » by stan francisco » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:29 am

loveshaq786 wrote:I agree. Maybe we should go after LeBron and cousins instead.

Or Westbrook and KAT. I know, but...

Ball
Westbrook
Ingram
KAT
Zubacca

Why are we targeting LeBron?
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,335

Post#186 » by Dr Aki » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:48 am

i thought it was a pretty good trade by the cavs today

i don't think it'll change the way lebron views FA in 2018, particularly if they fall short again, and they will. barring something spectacularly like landing a superstar like anthony davis with the brooklyn pick, i think lebron looks at an aging cavs team, unable to get over the hump, and a raw #1-5 pick and says good luck on the rebuild

that said, without having a team with good enough upside, lebron + [insert superstar] aren't enough to topple the warriors.

so the plan this still needs to be to develop lonzo and ingram, and to swing another cap clearing trade, then try to make a hard run at the playoffs.
Nightwing
Freshman
And1: 84

Post#187 » by Nightwing » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:46 pm

having lebron here would defeat the purpose of being a "laker" fan.IMHO

plus his fans, eeeck don't need them to cheer "GO LAKERS" after everything. i supported my lakers through thick and thin and they would just come here and just do bandwagon stuff? come on, show some pride. narratives would be lebron bailed us out and we suck without him. do you really want that to happen? nope, not me.

i say no to lebron. we will win without him. i trust lonzo/bi like i trusted kobe/shaq
Slink
Bench Warmer
And1: 965

Post#188 » by Slink » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:27 am

We had Kobe fans that were not necessarily Laker fans and the Lakers have always had bandwagon fans so this is nothing new. It's just part of being a popular winning franchise.
larry14r
Bench Warmer
And1: 131

Post#189 » by larry14r » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:06 am

stan francisco wrote:
loveshaq786 wrote:I agree. Maybe we should go after LeBron and cousins instead.

Or Westbrook and KAT. I know, but...

Ball
Westbrook
Ingram
KAT
Zubacca

Why are we targeting LeBron?

The better question is we even bothering with Westbrook he's not going to leave $200 mil on the table from OKC.
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,637

Post#190 » by danfantastk32 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:29 am

Slink wrote:We had Kobe fans that were not necessarily Laker fans and the Lakers have always had bandwagon fans so this is nothing new. It's just part of being a popular winning franchise.

Agree....this team has had more than it's fair share of bandwagon fans. If you don't think Lebron can help, or he's a 'bad fit', then fine...but I see no reason to turn down the #1 / #2 player in the NBA for all this other nonsense.

I'm sorry....but did I watch a different team than the rest of you these last 4-5 years? I'm curious.....more wins, or 20+ point losses the last 4 seasons. It's makes you stop and think.....cause god-d** there certainly were a butt-ton of blowouts, weren't there? Not so easy to answer, is it? So why are we really arguing this? Even if its his "golden years".....he's gonna be a better, more rounded player than almost anyone else. Do guys really want super-selfish me, me, me, me, me Westbrook to grab the ball, and take it end to end 90% of the time.....rendering our young talent worthless? You want PG...who's made no clutch shots, and isn't nearly the player Lebron is?

And after that......who else has shown any interest? If you don't like Lebron, then that's on you.....but Jesus some fans sure got fat in a hurry from that little Summer-League run. Now we're too good for Lebron, eh?
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#191 » by Kilroy » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:41 am

LeBron could either come here like Malone and GP did... And sort of goof on the whole Laker thing, and see if they could laugh their way into a championship... In which case, I don't think LeBron would be super popular in LA...
Or LeBron could come here like Wilt did... Reinvent himself a little bit, get that fire back... Maybe become the player everyone always hoped he'd be and stop trying to be a Mogul or the Most popular guy in the league, and just start Destroying teams again. With Ball and Ingram's youth to support him...

You have to pursue LeBron... At worst, he's the best individual player in the league... But it's not without risks... Nothing ever is... But that's like asking why you're thinking about buying a Ferrari... Sure it's not going to be super reliable, it's going to be expensive to keep, and not very comfortable... But WTF... It's a Ferrari, bro.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Shot Caller
Ballboy
And1: 26

Post#192 » by Shot Caller » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:09 am

Nightwing wrote:having lebron here would defeat the purpose of being a "laker" fan.IMHO

plus his fans, eeeck don't need them to cheer "GO LAKERS" after everything. i supported my lakers through thick and thin and they would just come here and just do bandwagon stuff? come on, show some pride. narratives would be lebron bailed us out and we suck without him. do you really want that to happen? nope, not me.

i say no to lebron. we will win without him. i trust lonzo/bi like i trusted kobe/shaq

i agree mostly of what you said. lebron is great but having him here would be odd, especially most fans consider him as our rival (though he's not)

but we have dealt with bandwagons from the very beginning, so it's not new to us. we always embraced the hate.
Dloading99
Pro Prospect
And1: 162

Post#193 » by Dloading99 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:30 am

Los Angeles L.A. is where Lebron is at now. he's vocal he's speaking out. he sees L.A. as that place who supports him.

He'l always be an Ohio guy but I think he wants to try L.A. he's very calculated I think last time it was about putting the players together. I think he wants to play with Lonzo and Ingram because that's going to make it better for him. the Youth the Athleticsm. Lopez. those are things that compliment his game.

And right now if Lebron wants to win the Lakers give him a lot of things he can work with. for the Basketball the team just looks good to him. it makes sense.

So it's more about Lebron seeing this team as a team he can make a championship team So I see him as a Laker.
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,191

Post#194 » by LAKESHOW » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:13 am

Well from ones perspective. No other player from the 3(Bron, Westbrook, PG) have more knowledge and familiarity with Lonzo, that Westbrook. 2 UCLA guys. Watched him growing up. Watched of course UCLA games. Knows him personally. I believe it's part of the reason why he hasn't signed that contract yet. He wants to see how this year unfolds. And also, he's intrigued by the possibility of going home and playing with his UCLA buddy. Otherwise, that 200+million deal wouldve been signed loooong time ago. Now stack LeBron next to Westbrook, Lonzo Ingram, Etc.. Now that's intriguing.
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
Penberthy
Sixth Man
And1: 243

Post#195 » by Penberthy » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:00 am

Randle+Deng for space
Clarkson for 1st

Ball (34) Vet Min (14)
George (32) Hart (16)
Kuzma (18) Ingram (30)
Lebron (30) Nance (18)
Lopez (30) Zu/Bryant (18)
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 40,975

Post#196 » by Sedale Threatt » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:52 pm

Nightwing wrote:having lebron here would defeat the purpose of being a "laker" fan.IMHO

This is nonsense. We didn't have any problem welcoming Shaquille O'Neal, who helped bring us three championships. Barring his age and the manufactured rivalry some of our more fervent Kobe stans can't let go, why would LeBron James be any different? The point is to win, by any and all means necessary. Not that we will, given how great Golden State should be for the next five years or so. But after the last half decade, I can handle having a puncher's chance and then rolling over into a new generation with Ball and Ingram (provided they develop) just entering their prime when LeBron retires.
MelosSoreWrist
Analyst
And1: 1,565

Post#197 » by MelosSoreWrist » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:09 pm

Kilroy wrote:LeBron could either come here like Malone and GP did... And sort of goof on the whole Laker thing, and see if they could laugh their way into a championship... In which case, I don't think LeBron would be super popular in LA...
Or LeBron could come here like Wilt did... Reinvent himself a little bit, get that fire back... Maybe become the player everyone always hoped he'd be and stop trying to be a Mogul or the Most popular guy in the league, and just start Destroying teams again. With Ball and Ingram's youth to support him...

You have to pursue LeBron... At worst, he's the best individual player in the league... But it's not without risks... Nothing ever is... But that's like asking why you're thinking about buying a Ferrari... Sure it's not going to be super reliable, it's going to be expensive to keep, and not very comfortable... But WTF... It's a Ferrari, bro.

LeBron has been nothing but serious about winning in the NBA in his entire career. And he was still arguably the best player on the floor in the finals last year. He has no need to reinvent himself or get any fire "back" on the court. Being a mogul or being friends with a bunch player never took away from his intensity playing basketball. Never liked his whining, flopping and passive aggressiveness but always respected his game.
NYK 455 wrote:
greenhughes wrote:I hope Melo leaves and wins a championship and rubs it all in our face.

How does that make you better than the Lin, Gallo, and Wil fans who root for them over NY?
MelosSoreWrist
Analyst
And1: 1,565

Post#198 » by MelosSoreWrist » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:20 pm

LAKESHOW wrote:Well from ones perspective. No other player from the 3(Bron, Westbrook, PG) have more knowledge and familiarity with Lonzo, that Westbrook. 2 UCLA guys. Watched him growing up. Watched of course UCLA games. Knows him personally. I believe it's part of the reason why he hasn't signed that contract yet. He wants to see how this year unfolds. And also, he's intrigued by the possibility of going home and playing with his UCLA buddy. Otherwise, that 200+million deal wouldve been signed loooong time ago. Now stack LeBron next to Westbrook, Lonzo Ingram, Etc.. Now that's intriguing.

Westbrook and Lonzo are close? I dont know, I feel like the college connections are overblown when guys are years apart and are only at school for only half a year anyway.

My preference is LeBron and PG. I think having LBJ, PG and a developed Ingram gives the team flexibility both on offense and defense and is a matchup nightmare. I dont think Westbrook enhances both sides like PG does and being so ball dominant could make the offense clunky.
NYK 455 wrote:
greenhughes wrote:I hope Melo leaves and wins a championship and rubs it all in our face.

How does that make you better than the Lin, Gallo, and Wil fans who root for them over NY?
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#199 » by Kilroy » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:04 pm

MelosSoreWrist wrote:
Kilroy wrote:LeBron could either come here like Malone and GP did... And sort of goof on the whole Laker thing, and see if they could laugh their way into a championship... In which case, I don't think LeBron would be super popular in LA...

LeBron has been nothing but serious about winning in the NBA in his entire career. And he was still arguably the best player on the floor in the finals last year. He has no need to reinvent himself or get any fire "back" on the court. Being a mogul or being friends with a bunch player never took away from his intensity playing basketball. Never liked his whining, flopping and passive aggressiveness but always respected his game.

I'll concede the getting his fire back part... He's never really slowed down or look uninterested... That's not really what I meant by that.

For me though, it's that his level of interest has never really seemed to get to the level of say Westbrook... To me it looks like LeBron is so damned good, he can fill the stat sheet at 3/4 speed for him... I just get the feeling we've never really seen full speed, or intensity. MJ was good enough to fill the stat sheet at 3/4 speed too... He had a hell of a supporting cast in his time as well, but nothing like LeBron has, and we most definitely saw 100% from MJ... And MJ just kept getting better each season until his first retirement... LeBron seems content.

So that's my point... No question LeBron is the best player in the league... I respect that and his game. I want him to come to LA. Even if he's the same player he is now...

My point is, as great as he is, I feel like he has untapped potential there... There's just something missing when you watch him compared to other 'greatest ever' guys, and I'd love to see him come to LA and find that next level as he enters the twilight of his career.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Nightwing
Freshman
And1: 84

Post#200 » by Nightwing » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:23 am

Sedale Threatt wrote:

This is nonsense. We didn't have any problem welcoming Shaquille O'Neal, who helped bring us three championships. Barring his age and the manufactured rivalry some of our more fervent Kobe stans can't let go, why would LeBron James be any different? The point is to win, by any and all means necessary. Not that we will, given how great Golden State should be for the next five years or so. But after the last half decade, I can handle having a puncher's chance and then rolling over into a new generation with Ball and Ingram (provided they develop) just entering their prime when LeBron retires.

nonsense because i don't want lebron wearing purple and gold? don't get me wrong i'm a huge kobe fan but i love my lakers more, i was even willing to ditch him as my fav player when he requested to be traded.

my point is we have gone through sh*t hole and i would love us to win from there. i don't want the self entitled diva bailing us out (that's not even a sure thing if we can win given GSW right now) and if the lebron james experiment won't work? what now? he will dismantle us from top to bottom (look at cleveland now). the way i see it, he will not care about wearing the purple and gold or the honor of wearing it, he will just come here because he sees an opportunity with our young guys, because he's a legacy whore. he can't even stay in his "hometown" who we thought he cared so much.

people act like lebron james is our last hope. lebron is exiting his prime and you guys still want to risk it. i don't get it.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers