ImageImageImageImageImage

Why are we targeting lebron?

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Re: Why are we targeting lebron? 

Post#41 » by Spens1 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:28 am

he may be a prick (not even in a Kobe i want to win by any means way, more like a politicking, i want to play AAU ball at the nba level way) but he's still one of the best
Pythagoras
Analyst
And1: 3,282

Post#42 » by Pythagoras » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:34 am

I believe in Ingram and Ball, so if the Lakers were going to pull off the "two-star coup", I'd actually prefer Cousins/PG. As we've seen with the Warriors and Spurs, is not just about raw talent, but how the pieces fit. That said, Lebron is Lebron, and while I don't think he's the best player in the league anymore, hard to complain about adding a guy of his level.
Numbers rule the universe.
Showtime:Part2
General Manager
And1: 495

Post#43 » by Showtime:Part2 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:09 am

Slava wrote:Even if Lebron comes here, he won't commit to anything more than a 1+1 max deal so he has an out if this doesn't work out. At that point we'd be stupid to even be debating if we should go for Lebron. He's still the best player on the planet.

What makes you think it's going to be a 1+1 deal. By all accounts he's looking to get paid on a long term deal on his last contract. If I'm wrong then you're right, we should sign him in a heartbeat to a 1+1, but that just seems far fetched
Warspite:

Prince + filler for Kobe Bryant
To be honest the way Prince has played and with Kobes injury/age/mileage Im not sure I would do that deal either. Still Prince is more important and he wins the head to head battles with Kobe.
Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,973

Post#44 » by Landsberger » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:18 am

My guess is that LeBron isn't coming here. He's closer to another championship in a lot of other locations. If he does come here it's for the connections in Hollywood is my guess.

GS is till going to be a force and realistically, how good would we be with LeBron and another star? It would take a year at least to gel and fill holes to be ready. George and LeBron both love the ball in their hands to do all that they do. Lonzo is really good at one thing and I'd worry about how a team with those 3 would function.

If things click in Boston it could be GS and Boston for the next few years.... as much as I'd hate it.
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,826

Post#45 » by TyCobb » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:39 am

For me, any team LeBron James is on is dangerous. It depends on the cost but if you could dump Deng and Clarkson and send them Ingram and no other future firsts then I believe you gotta do it. LeBron fits so perfect on this roster even if it is for one year. The next year we would have him as the lead negotiator to bring two other stars to LA--all three working out the financials.

Ball will make it easier for LeBron to get buckets and will extend his career.
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
BEazy
RealGM
And1: 2,483

Post#46 » by BEazy » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:15 am

I hope LeCrab dribble goes somewhere else. He's the reason why so many teams have to rebuild after he leaves. I'm not going to go through another 5+ years of rebuilding again. **** that...

I'm probably the only person on here that thinks that we're better off without LeCrab.

Long Live The Black Mamba. Kobe Bean Bryant Laker For Life. 8/24
TKainZero
Head Coach
And1: 3,275

Post#47 » by TKainZero » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:41 am

Because he is the best player in the NBA

And he is known for jumping ship
USA Celtics in full effect. Amazing chemistry building experience right there for the main core of the team

Proceeds to finish 7th and shames the entire nation!
Sushisensei26
Sixth Man
And1: 614

Post#48 » by Sushisensei26 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:48 am

ScHoolBoy B wrote:I hope LeCrab dribble goes somewhere else. He's the reason why so many teams have to rebuild after he leaves. I'm not going to go through another 5+ years of rebuilding again. **** that...

I'm probably the only person on here that thinks that we're better off without LeCrab.

You definitely aren't the only one, broheim.
dAdo dA dEvil
Sixth Man
And1: 476

Post#49 » by dAdo dA dEvil » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:15 am

leeprettyp wrote:I am okay with only signing Lebron in 2018 if that's what it takes to entice Paul George to come. But we better not trade Ingram or Lonzo in any scenario that comes up. It can do some good for our two baby Lakers to learn how to win at this level for established superstars.

My only issue with Lebron is can he accept as an aging superstar that Lonzo needs to have that ball in his hands more to facilitate and Ingram isnt going to be relegated to being a stand in the corner spot up shooter.

Honestly, I'm okay with making a play on some other potential game changers in the 2018 free agency and keeping our young core. LBJ has that name on the back of the jersey instead of the name on the front of the jersey thing going.

P.S. If (when) LBJ comes can he please leave Brian Lebronhorst in Cleveland or is it a package deal? lol (j/k)

Ei! Welcome back Lee! :D :D :D
dAdo dA dEvil
Sixth Man
And1: 476

Post#50 » by dAdo dA dEvil » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:18 am

ScHoolBoy B wrote:I hope LeCrab dribble goes somewhere else. He's the reason why so many teams have to rebuild after he leaves. I'm not going to go through another 5+ years of rebuilding again. **** that...

Don't want any part of Bron either. :wink:
General Manager

Post#51 » by Showtime:Part2 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:32 am

TyCobb wrote:For me, any team LeBron James is on is dangerous. It depends on the cost but if you could dump Deng and Clarkson and send them Ingram and no other future firsts then I believe you gotta do it. LeBron fits so perfect on this roster even if it is for one year. The next year we would have him as the lead negotiator to bring two other stars to LA--all three working out the financials.

Ball will make it easier for LeBron to get buckets and will extend his career.

You can't seriously be ok with trading Ingram for one year of lebron
Warspite:

To be honest the way Prince has played and with Kobes injury/age/mileage Im not sure I would do that deal either. Still Prince is more important and he wins the head to head battles with Kobe.
General Manager

Post#52 » by Showtime:Part2 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:33 am

TKainZero wrote:Because he is the best player in the NBA

And he is known for jumping ship

Is he? Pretty sure Durant played him evenly in the finals. And even if he is, for how much longer?
Warspite:

Dloading99
Pro Prospect
And1: 162

Post#53 » by Dloading99 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:07 am

I don't want any parts of a Lebron James trade. if we sign him out right great awesome. But I don't want to trade Brandon Ingram or Lonzo Ball for Lebron James.

I think Lebron will be great with Lonzo. I think Lonzo is that good he knows how to make the right plays. he just puts it in the right spot. Lebron has never played with a player like this. and him playing with Lonzo will get him a few more MVPS and championships.

I think players are taking notice how good this kid is. and like Durant it's about style the Lakers play. no contest any other teams spurs to washed up. Lakers are the team. Lonzo is a guy Lebron is just blown away by. he watched him play and he saw it and it assured him yeah he's the real deal. Lebron isn't going to make a Hollywood decision it's going to be a basketball decision.

And the best basketball decision is playing with Lonzo Ball and Brandon Ingram and Brook Lopez he has length three point stretch shooting and ball movement. and a coach in Luke that he's going to enjoy playing for.
Dloading99
Pro Prospect
And1: 162

Post#54 » by Dloading99 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:09 am

When you bring in Lebron though watch out.

He's going to want to control the team you have to let him know right away. this is about Ball and the team empashsis ball movement.

You can't have Lebron come in and say I want to trade Brandon Ingram and Lonzo Ball for Anthony Davis. can't do it.

We can't have another Andrew Wiggins we have to let him know he's signing here to play with the guys that are here.
Tee212
Lead Assistant
And1: 423

Post#55 » by Tee212 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:55 am

his days of calling the shots are over
leeprettyp
Assistant Coach
And1: 680

Post#56 » by leeprettyp » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:07 am

dAdo dA dEvil wrote:
leeprettyp wrote:I am okay with only signing Lebron in 2018 if that's what it takes to entice Paul George to come. But we better not trade Ingram or Lonzo in any scenario that comes up. It can do some good for our two baby Lakers to learn how to win at this level for established superstars.

My only issue with Lebron is can he accept as an aging superstar that Lonzo needs to have that ball in his hands more to facilitate and Ingram isnt going to be relegated to being a stand in the corner spot up shooter.

Honestly, I'm okay with making a play on some other potential game changers in the 2018 free agency and keeping our young core. LBJ has that name on the back of the jersey instead of the name on the front of the jersey thing going.

P.S. If (when) LBJ comes can he please leave Brian Lebronhorst in Cleveland or is it a package deal? lol (j/k)

Ei! Welcome back Lee! :D :D :D

Thank you :)
Marionettetc
Sixth Man
And1: 969

Post#57 » by Marionettetc » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:34 am

Signing him if the opportunity presented itself is fine, trading anything of value for him isn't. I'm a Lakers fan first and foremost, and trading any of the meager resources we have to get him and not get past golden state isn't something I want to watch.
Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,973

Post#58 » by Landsberger » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:25 pm

I think the mentality of building through the draft with youngsters is only with the fans. If (and a big IF) LeBron comes here I'd venture that the roster will be turned over to get veterans in there to win NOW. I just don't see the FO continuing to try and build a GS 2.0 anymore. It would be a NOW move.

What does a line up look like with LeBron?

LeBron
Ingram
George
Ball
??
It's going to tough to re-sign Lopez and Randle and I'm not sure we should invest long term in either of them. Who's the Center? Zubac? Who's on the bench when all we have is change to spend? I think you have to have Deng and Clarkson here otherwise you have no bench and you're tapped out dollar wise. We control them and as flawed as each are they are probably better than who we could get with the money we would have left over. If we extend Randle then this team will be tapped out for a long time so it better be done right.

I still think the offensive scheme we are trying now won't hold up if we get George and LeBron. I don't see us as a running team with those guys either so Ball's best talent is diminished somewhat. Can a 20-21 year old be a leader with Bron and George on a team?

I'm sure that if Bron comes here he will influence the team or otherwise he wouldn't come. This isn't a deep playoff team he will be joining like Durant did, it will be a bottom 5 team in all likelihood.

We've seen this before in the Howard/Nash swing for the fences move. This isn't like getting Shaq just before his prime or adding Magic to a 50 win team. If it happens it's a gamble that LeBron has enough in the tank and the milage doesn't start adding up.
snaquille oatmeal
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,767

Post#59 » by snaquille oatmeal » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:38 pm

Showtime:Part2 wrote:Serious question. He will be 34 and we will be giving him a super max. One bad injury and we will cripple our franchise for years. And the thing is, injuries start to come with that many miles on the body. Nobody beats Father Time. We might squeeze one good year out of him then be stuck with his albatross contract for years. And in that one year we aren't beating the warriors anyway. I'm very much for targeting paul George and some of the other fa, but should we just flat out say no to lebron?

here is a really good read that relates to your question, enjoy.

Why LeBron James signing with the Lakers in free agency seems like it could really happen this time by Harrison Faigen

Trying to map out why the King would consider taking his talents to a different Southern Beach.

A lot of these dots are circumstantial, but they are there to be connected. LeBron James may not ever wear a Lakers uniform, but everything that’s happened over the past few months at the very least makes it seem more real and possible than ever.

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2017/7/22/16015164/la-lakers-free-agency-rumors-lebron-james-trade-kyrie-irving-paul-george-lonzo-ball-brandon-ingram
Forum permissions