Some of the things Rob Pelinka says...

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,679

Some of the things Rob Pelinka says... 

Post#1 » by dockingsched » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:24 am

Some of the things Rob Pelinka says are really starting to be cringe worthy, head scratching, or insulting to one's intelligence.

Some examples of this is when he compared the signing of KCP to a gift from god. Another when he compared the young developing core to seeing Taylor Swift's potential at a young age, and today some of the comments he made on Espn radio.

He was asked to talk about when the lakers will be competing again, and he alluded to the 2018 cap plan and to the fact the lakers are the only team in position to sign two premiere free agents...which they're not without further moves.

Along with talking about the young core and two premiere free agents, he also mentioned KCP and Lopez when discussing future contention which makes no sense since you can't have cap space for two premiere free agents without renouncing those two along with Randle.

Can't believe I'm saying this but may he should the talking to Magic??
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,819

Re: Some of the things Rob Pelinka says... 

Post#2 » by TyCobb » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:35 am

Committed to Excellence
I'm a storyteller
Position of Service
Words only mean so much
pursuing excellence
I think there's a verse in scripture
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
BeanBurrito
Junior
And1: 125

Post#3 » by BeanBurrito » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:44 am

TyCobb wrote:Committed to Excellence
I'm a storyteller
Position of Service
Words only mean so much
pursuing excellence
I think there's a verse in scripture

And Kobe and Vanessa.
Spoiler:
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#4 » by Kilroy » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:46 am

He seems to love to hear himself talk... He seems to think he's one of the stars now. He doesn't realize yet that people don't really care about him. They just want to know what players we're getting or what the team's doing. No one cares about his stories or religion or thoughts on current events... Not to be harsh or anything but that's the reality.

This team has gone full Hollywood, and that's OK on the court, but I don't think we want our FO to be competing for the spotlight with our players.

But like Slava pointed out in another thread... These are NBA players they're dealing with... They aren't normal people, so maybe all this **** speaks to them in some way I can't fathom... To me it's just nauseating.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Speedlot
Lead Assistant
And1: 697

Post#5 » by Speedlot » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:09 am

Yea he sounds pretty high half the time. Then again people thank god randomly all the time for their fortunes and that's just how society is.

So far his work has been positive in my book. So I'll give him that, and really I'm only judging him on that. As for magic, i'm a lot more curious. There's something sinister and ruthless about him that I like. Alluding to his playing days and his work as pres. We'll see.
TheRealKaboom
Sixth Man
And1: 1,716

Post#6 » by TheRealKaboom » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:24 am

Mitch Kupchak was a thoughtful, well-spoken, insightful gentleman of a GM . . .

who signed Timofey Mozgov and Luol Deng to a combined 8 years, $136,000,000.

I don't give a **** what kind of nonsense comes out of Rob Pelinka's piehole, he wouldn't have done that.
gts1
Starter
And1: 1,232

Post#7 » by gts1 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:50 am

TheRealKaboom wrote:Mitch Kupchak was a thoughtful, well-spoken, insightful gentleman of a GM . . .

I don't give a **** what kind of nonsense comes out of Rob Pelinka's piehole, he wouldn't have done that.
Mitch did far more good for this team than Pelinka has so please let's quit the comparisons until Plink has been here for at least a year and actually signed somebody of note...lol

Actually quite amazing how quick folks are to throw one of the top NBA exec to ever manage a team under the bus and ignore all the good he did because of a coupe bad moves... every exec makes bad moves or has a player not live up to expectations, if you do it look enough it is going to happen, it's happened to the very best of them but to ignore years and years of good moves, great drafts, and a few trades by Mitch that were like pulling rabbits out of hats is just nonsense.

Back to the topic.. listening to Magic and Pelinka is like listening to a motivational tape, it's like they think if they keep telling us and themselves everything is fine and going according to plan with an upbeat "we got this handled, this is a new era" attitude that it'll all come true but in reality we are in the exact same place we have been the last few years and it feels like they're just trying to hide that fact behind their bravado.

I'm hoping they can get it done, it's a new NBA and new NBA players might not have the respect for the FO that the FO thinks they deserve. A lot of this reminds me of when Magic took over as head coach, all backslapping and showtime is back we're going to turn this around next season blah blah blah (I know I was excited) until it went south quickly and Magic quit in disgust after 16 games.
Wife: "you haven't heard a single thing I said"
Me: that's a funny way to start a conversation...
TheRealKaboom
Sixth Man
And1: 1,716

Post#8 » by TheRealKaboom » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:28 am

gts1 wrote:
TheRealKaboom wrote:Mitch Kupchak was a thoughtful, well-spoken, insightful gentleman of a GM . . .

Mitch did far more good for this team than Pelinka has so please let's quit the comparisons until Plink has been here for at least a year and actually signed somebody of note...lol

Actually quite amazing how quick folks are to throw one of the top NBA exec to ever manage a team under the bus and ignore all the good he did because of a coupe bad moves... every exec makes bad moves or has a player not live up to expectations, if you do it look enough it is going to happen, it's happened to the very best of them but to ignore years and years of good moves, great drafts, and a few trades by Mitch that were like pulling rabbits out of hats is just nonsense.

Back to the topic.. listening to Magic and Pelinka is like listening to a motivational tape, it's like they think if they keep telling us and themselves everything is fine and going according to plan with an upbeat "we got this handled, this is a new era" attitude that it'll all come true but in reality we are in the exact same place we have been the last few years and it feels like they're just trying to hide that fact behind their bravado.

I'm hoping they can get it done, it's a new NBA and new NBA players might not have the respect for the FO that the FO thinks they deserve. A lot of this reminds me of when Magic took over as head coach, all backslapping and showtime is back we're going to turn this around next season blah blah blah (I know I was excited) until it went south quickly and Magic quit in disgust after 16 games.

TL;DR version:

Pelinka sucks, Magic sucks, the Lakers suck. We gotchu, "Laker fan". :noway:
LakersSoul
Head Coach
And1: 4,486

Post#9 » by LakersSoul » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:40 am

I like Pelinka's stories.
I like how he presents himself especially since Magic is not the most eloquent speaker.
He is a bit of a salesman (and dresses like one) but that understandable since he was an agent.

As for the most important factor, I love what Pelinka and Magic have done since they joined the FO. They brought in defensive-minded role players, added vets, drafted well and all while saving the cap space for 2018.

"Westy, LeBron + AD to rule the West.
Return of the King, the Lakers."
BeanBurrito
Junior
And1: 125

Post#10 » by BeanBurrito » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:11 am

LakersSoul wrote:I like Pelinka's stories.

I stopped reading.
Spoiler:
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,637

Post#11 » by danfantastk32 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:31 am

Pelinka was absolutely spot on about being able to sign 2 top free agents next year. Our salary right now is at $82mil. That does not reflect KCP's salary...so it will be more like $100 mil. But he comes off the books ($18). Brook comes off the books ($22.6) Brewer comes off the books ($7.6) Ingram technically has a team option ($5.7) Randle has a qualifying offer ($5.5) Ennis, Nance, Zubac all team options.....add it up, and the Lakers are sitting at $41.3 in contracted salary next season. Check Hoopshype if you want.

Obviously there are a couple guys there that we are not letting go. But even still.....we'd be around $50-$55 mil. Cleveland's roster is sitting at $133mil. That's a good 80-mil above us. Not sure how they're doing it....but sounds like if we're willing to go over the cap, we'd have no trouble signing 2 top guys. And we haven't even evoked the 'stretch deng' option yet.

Dunno everyone....Ingram got hurt game one of the summer league (which we lost anyhow) so this summer league was Zubac (who didn't perform all that great, if we're being honest) and a bunch of guys that Rob and Magic drafted. And we won the damn thing. It kinda feels like some folks are being a little petty around here.

Mitch was a great GM.....and has a long track record. But he and Jim were effing terrible. Stop trying to convince yourself otherwise. Jim took over this team with 3 HoFers (I wont count Nash) and a team that had been to the playoffs like 14 of the last 15 years. They got NOTHING for the parade of players who left......had nothing but empty pockets to show for it...and embarrassment. And then year after year of just garbage teams....capped off with 2 of the worst signings in the league. Both done in mad desperation to prove (to themselves???) that they COULD ACTUALLY SIGN SOMEONE.

This team had some flaws. Pau and Kobe were getting long in the tooth. But it was loaded with talent, and Jim and Mitch just out-thought themselves at every turn year after year and left this team 4 years later a complete husk of the #1 franchise it had been.

Rob and Magic's draft class just won more games in summer league than any Jim/Mitch team won in a regular season (please don't correct me...I know that not true....but you get the point)......so what are peeps complaining about? I mean really.
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 5,391

Post#12 » by Danny Darko » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:14 am

honestly it's the job of the now departed John Black roll to train a team, gm, president, and everyone how to be more savvy to whatever extent they need when they sound a little **** crazy. Who did we hire to replace Black? Also, as long as their is a learning curve and the team is doing the right things around personnel, cap space, culture, and results. I agree that I don't care if he sounds like Mayor West on Family guy or not.
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#13 » by Danny Darko » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:18 am

also, if anything it gives me a reason to get nostalgic and bring back the the nelson memes.

Mana from
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#14 » by Danny Darko » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:21 am

BEazy
RealGM
And1: 2,483

Post#15 » by BEazy » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:20 am

Honestly, I think he's hilarious. Yeah his stories are a little out there but it adds character to the front office.

Long Live The Black Mamba. Kobe Bean Bryant Laker For Life. 8/24
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,335

Post#16 » by Dr Aki » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:29 am

Come on, he's like Abe Simpson
Sofa King
RealGM
And1: 3,034

Post#17 » by Sofa King » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:44 am

ak7
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,383

Post#18 » by ak7 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:27 pm

You know it's the off-season when pointless threads like these are made.

Tell us, with all of your experience as an NBA GM, how should a GM act? Also, why do you not hold a NBA General Manager Customs and Courtesies 101 class at the local community college for new GM's to attend?
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,679

Post#19 » by dockingsched » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:27 pm

ak7 wrote:You know it's the off-season when pointless threads like these are made.

Tell us, with all of your experience as an NBA GM, how should a GM act? Also, why do you not hold a NBA General Manager Customs and Courtesies 101 class at the local community college for new GM's to attend?

You're on a basketball forum where all people do is give their opinion on what these people should do, the site is even called RealGM lol, get a grip.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
ak7
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,383

Post#20 » by ak7 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:57 pm

dockingsched wrote:
ak7 wrote:You know it's the off-season when pointless threads like these are made.

You're on a basketball forum where all people do is give their opinion on what these people should do, the site is even called RealGM lol, get a grip.

But what's the point of the thread?

If a dude is religious and says something that went his team's way is a gift from god, so be it? Are you going to make a thread for every player when they thank god in their post-game conference win?

The Lakers have an 11 mill cap hold from Brewer. A $21 mill cap hold from KCP. You think the Lakers intend on signing Lopez to a 5 year deal at age 30? His $33 million cap hold is all but guaranteed to be renounced.

You don't know what type of behind the scenes agreements or stipulations are involved with the future contracts of Lopez, KCP, Randle, or Brewer.. so how can you say that they are not in position to offer two deals; because actually they are. Your post is more off the rocker than anything Rob Pelinka says to the media.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers