ImageImageImageImageImage

Lakers Cap Situation in 2018?

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

Tehtre
Sophomore
And1: 130

Lakers Cap Situation in 2018? 

Post#1 » by Tehtre » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:22 pm

Sorry Ive been searching for cap situation throughout the internet but failed to get any accurate information. :banghead:

My real concern is would it be possible to get two max without renouncing Randle's 13m cap hold.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,445

Re: Lakers Cap Situation in 2018? 

Post#2 » by Slava » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:22 pm

There's no way to open up two max slots without renouncing Randle's cap hold unless we manage to move both Clarkson and Deng.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
BeanBurrito
Junior
And1: 125

Post#3 » by BeanBurrito » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:43 pm

Slava wrote:There's no way to open up two max slots without renouncing Randle's cap hold unless we manage to move both Clarkson and Deng.

Interesting to hear Tania Ganguli on the lakerfilm podcast (I don't like/listen to their podcast--only videos-- but did this time for Tania) say that the Lakers Front-Office feels like they can move Clarkson if they need to. For what return is unknown, but I found it interesting.
Spoiler:
cashflo
Senior

Post#4 » by cashflo » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:09 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Randle will have a 5m cap hold on him.. and with that cap hold the lakers will still have roughly 60mil..
If we are talking about Lebron and George they both will command north of 30il but I would think that if they signed with the Lakers.. they would take slight pay cuts. If not Deng could be stretched to make up room..
Possibly
Trade Clarkson for Pick(prob 2nd round) -12mil
Stretch Deng --11mil

23 mil opened up...while keeping the core in place and giving Lebron 83mil to work his magic..
rogers49
Ballboy
And1: 8

Post#5 » by rogers49 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:25 pm

BeanBurrito wrote:
Slava wrote:There's no way to open up two max slots without renouncing Randle's cap hold unless we manage to move both Clarkson and Deng.

Interesting to hear Tania Ganguli on the lakerfilm podcast (I don't like/listen to their podcast--only videos-- but did this time for Tania) say that the Lakers Front-Office feels like they can move Clarkson if they need to. For what return is unknown, but I found it interesting.

No return, we have to shed salary only.
With him, Deng and maybe Randle.
And we'll be lucky if we get to do so without attaching other assets (future picks or young players).
Mission impossible?
rogers49
Ballboy
And1: 8

Post#6 » by rogers49 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:26 pm

cashflo wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Randle will have a 5m cap hold on him.. and with that cap hold the lakers will still have roughly 60mil..
If we are talking about Lebron and George they both will command north of 30il but I would think that if they signed with the Lakers.. they would take slight pay cuts. If not Deng could be stretched to make up room..
Possibly
Trade Clarkson for Pick(prob 2nd round) -12mil
Stretch Deng --11mil

23 mil opened up...while keeping the core in place and giving Lebron 83mil to work his magic..

Randle has a 12,7 m cap hold (2.5 times current salary).
Why Lebron and PG would take less than their max for the privilege to save the Lakers?
Their max is combined 67 (36+31).
With Randle cap hold, you need 80 millions cap space.
To trade JC will require GIVING picks or assets, not receiving.
Unloading JC + stretching Deng gives you about 65 millions, not 83.
You get about 78 only renouncing Randle's rights and his cap hold.
BeanBurrito
Junior
And1: 125

Post#7 » by BeanBurrito » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:59 pm

rogers49 wrote:
BeanBurrito wrote:

No return, we have to shed salary only.
With him, Deng and maybe Randle.
And we'll be lucky if we get to do so without attaching other assets (future picks or young players).
Mission impossible?

I think we will have to attach something too tbh, but they still have to make the salaries work.
Spoiler:
TylersLakers
RealGM
And1: 2,809

Post#8 » by TylersLakers » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:12 pm

This should just be book marked. A guy on Twitter named Reed has done a great job with this stuff.

Read on Twitter
cashflo
Senior

Post#9 » by cashflo » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:44 pm

That Deng contract was soooo stupid .
Damn Mitch!

All in all there is a lot of wiggle room to work with..I do think JC is on a good contract and is tradable .. but we will have to give up some assets to get rid of Deng...
We do have the 2020 pick in our pocket and a team like Nets could bite just to get an asset... :-?
Dloading99
Pro Prospect
And1: 162

Post#10 » by Dloading99 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:49 pm

REED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! is awesome. that dude always post great stuff. yall gotta post more of his stuff on here.

The Deng contract was stupid on so many levels. I think a lot of it was the realization that no free agents were ever going to sign with the Lakers.

I want to point something out to yall the trolls and media trolls can have an impact on the team. I bet Mitch listening to these Aminu Hassins and Brian Windhorst and the laughing made him just jump on the guys to take their money. I really believe that.

Cause All of a sudden the Lakers weren't on their plan. it's like after Durant was like you can't even meet with me. they thought no one was going to come spend the money on somebody.

I remember a lot of people in here making sense of the Luol Deng signing saying he was there to teach Brandon Ingram how to be a professional. Lead Brandon Ingram he went to Duke. so hey it is what it is.

they are going to have to get creative. as screwed up as it sounds. it's going to have to take Moving Jordan Clarkson. there will be a lot of teams lining up for him. teams like Orlando.
Dloading99
Pro Prospect

Post#11 » by Dloading99 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:51 pm

And we all said and I can say I said this. but we thought Deng was supposed to be the Igodola Draymond Green stretch four five three on the Lakers. for Luke Walton in the new Warriors system.
Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,969

Post#12 » by Landsberger » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:18 am

I see Randle being the one traded around the deadline with Deng to break achieve the cap space. That opens up a little more (I think) to get a couple more hangers on.
Dloading99
Pro Prospect

Post#13 » by Dloading99 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:53 am

I might have to pay on here to see what yall will be saying on here when Free agency starts next off season. must see TV get your popcorn ready. the Looks on Rob and Magics faces. here we go

Lebron Cap space all the moves.
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,636

Post#14 » by danfantastk32 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:43 am

Landsberger wrote:I see Randle being the one traded around the deadline with Deng to break achieve the cap space. That opens up a little more (I think) to get a couple more hangers on.

Agree. Let's just (for the sake of argument) say we're getting PG and Lebron. Who's worried about resigning Randle? I also disagree with some posts up above. I'm looking at teams like the Warriors working their mojo to get Durant...I'm looking at multiple teams well above the supposed "hard cap" .....and I gotta think we can wiggle those two in under some nuanced rule. And if not....I doubt $31 mil vs $34 mil nixes the deal.

And all that ignores stretching Deng....and assumes we can't offload a single player. I mean hell.....stretch Deng AND Clarkson if it comes to it. We'll be able to make it work. I'm not worried.

And for what it's worth....all this assumes we NEED 2 superstars.
Landsberger
General Manager

Post#15 » by Landsberger » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:30 pm

danfantastk32 wrote:And for what it's worth....all this assumes we NEED 2 superstars.

This is a very good observation IMHO. We may have future "superstars" on the squad already however our FO want's "stars" NOW! This leads me to think that they want exposure NOW. They want to be on National TV 16 to 20 times again NOW! It seems that they want this WHILE they are rebuilding rather than rebuild into this.

The Buss family doesn't have day jobs... this is their entire income stream.
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,636

Post#16 » by danfantastk32 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:56 pm

Landsberger wrote:
danfantastk32 wrote:And for what it's worth....all this assumes we NEED 2 superstars.

This is a very good observation IMHO. We may have future "superstars" on the squad already however our FO want's "stars" NOW! This leads me to think that they want exposure NOW. They want to be on National TV 16 to 20 times again NOW! It seems that they want this WHILE they are rebuilding rather than rebuild into this.

The Buss family doesn't have day jobs... this is their entire income stream.

If Lebron comes out...and says he WANTS to come here, and he's willing to work with what we got, then awesome. Otherwise, I think we should take PG....and play a season seeing how that goes....and what else (if anything) needs to be tweeked.

Randle, Ingram, Zubac, Kuzma, V-Blue, Ball.....etc (add PG to that)....we might have our squad as it is.
LakersSoul
Head Coach
And1: 4,486

Post#17 » by LakersSoul » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:22 pm

Dloading99 wrote:I might have to pay on here to see what yall will be saying on here when Free agency starts next off season. must see TV get your popcorn ready. the Looks on Rob and Magics faces. here we go

Lebron Cap space all the moves.

Lakers will push for at least 1 MAX guy. Paul George.
Lakers will push for a second MAX guy. LBJ.

If we miss out on one or both then our backup plan is set with Lopez, KCP and Randle plus BI and Ball. There are very few teams with the salary cap next summer to beat/out-bid the Lakers.

"Westy, LeBron + AD to rule the West.
Return of the King, the Lakers."
Landsberger
General Manager

Post#18 » by Landsberger » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:07 pm

danfantastk32 wrote:
If Lebron comes out...and says he WANTS to come here, and he's willing to work with what we got, then awesome.

I'm not sure this LeBron exists. SuperFriends 2.0 is more like what I think he wants. Well... along with being close to the studios to set up his retirement income streams.

I just don't see the FO signing him without a full on shot at an "instant" contender swing for the fences all-in sort of approach. The logic doesn't flow to have him here to fade while the rest of the team is growing.
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,673

Post#19 » by Pointgod » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:55 pm

We should be able to trade Clarkson for a late first round pick or 2 early seconds. He's on a decent contract, good bench scorer and still young.

I hate the idea of stretching Deng, having 7 million in dead cap space over 5 years is just poor cap management and it will comeback to screw us. I'm on the trade Randle bandwagon if it helps us get rid of Deng, but a trade I've seen is Deng and a future first for Wade. Chicago is rebuilding and could use all the help they can get.
gts1
Starter
And1: 1,232

Post#20 » by gts1 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:13 am

We have tons of cap space for next season Magic and Rob keep telling us so. (course they don't mention having to deconstruct the team as it is to do it but hey....)

when crunching numbers don't forget they have mentioned theres' good chance the cap will drop again next year about a similar amount as this season
Wife: "you haven't heard a single thing I said"
Me: that's a funny way to start a conversation...

Return to Los Angeles Lakers