11%

Total votes: 98

Pythagoras
Analyst
And1: 3,282

Re: Expectations for Ingram's scoring this season 

Post#41 » by Pythagoras » Tue Aug 1, 2017 10:27 pm

Danny Darko wrote:
iamworthy wrote:Gonna be tough for Ingram to average 20 with Randle in a contract year. Randle is going for his this year.

It's a good point. My guess is Randle is fed heavy early and basically showcased, though, so good chance he's gone by the deadline to open cap unless he balls out like a guy you have to keep.

I'd say 1st half Ingram avgs 14, 2nd half he avgs 20

I have a very similar feeling about the second half of his season being stronger scoring-wise than the first half as well. I also think he's going to have a massive leap in efficiency this year and I think A LOT of Lakers fans are going to be calling on him to be force fed more as the season goes on.
Numbers rule the universe.
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,637

Post#42 » by danfantastk32 » Thu Aug 3, 2017 6:41 am

Pythagoras wrote:
Danny Darko wrote:
iamworthy wrote:Gonna be tough for Ingram to average 20 with Randle in a contract year. Randle is going for his this year.

It's a good point. My guess is Randle is fed heavy early and basically showcased, though, so good chance he's gone by the deadline to open cap unless he balls out like a guy you have to keep.

I have a very similar feeling about the second half of his season being stronger scoring-wise than the first half as well. I also think he's going to have a massive leap in efficiency this year and I think A LOT of Lakers fans are going to be calling on him to be force fed more as the season goes on.

I dunno......did you guys watch Ingram and Ball this summer league? I half-expect some sorta BFF tattoo come preseason. Didn't Lonzo specifically ask to have his locker next to Ingram? I think Ingram is gonna have alot of 'silver platters' this year. Alot more than Randle. I am cool with Randle having a breakout season too....but I think Ingram is gonna be Lonzo's first look almost everytime.
meetbishop
Sophomore
And1: 60

Post#43 » by meetbishop » Thu Aug 3, 2017 1:32 pm

danfantastk32 wrote:
Pythagoras wrote:
Danny Darko wrote:It's a good point. My guess is Randle is fed heavy early and basically showcased, though, so good chance he's gone by the deadline to open cap unless he balls out like a guy you have to keep.

I dunno......did you guys watch Ingram and Ball this summer league? I half-expect some sorta BFF tattoo come preseason. Didn't Lonzo specifically ask to have his locker next to Ingram? I think Ingram is gonna have alot of 'silver platters' this year. Alot more than Randle. I am cool with Randle having a breakout season too....but I think Ingram is gonna be Lonzo's first look almost everytime.

Plus he moves better without the ball as compared to Randle.
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 40,964

Post#44 » by Sedale Threatt » Thu Aug 3, 2017 4:13 pm

Michael Lucky wrote:I'm expecting 15 ppg. The guy is going to be 20 years old all season long, so Magic's expectations are quite ridiculous. He's not a volume shooter to begin with.

That's right where I'm at as well. I'm not going to take the time to look, but the number of guys who have doubled their scoring average in one season to 20 ppg has to be pretty slim. It would be nice, obviously, but it's just not a realistic expectation. Fifteen with solid efficiency and major improvement on 3s would be fantastic.
Takes5
Sophomore
And1: 71

Post#45 » by Takes5 » Fri Aug 4, 2017 10:42 pm

With the preDraft range of
ceiling - Kevin Durant
floor - Tayshaun Prince
outhouse - Austin Daye

I think Magic is just intentionally forcing the issue on Ingram to alpha up and start to look more like at least a Floor player to eventually be a Ceiling player.
Goudelock
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,866

Post#46 » by Goudelock » Wed Aug 9, 2017 2:08 am

You can see him get more and more explosive as the video progresses. By the end of the season Ingram was flat-out posterizing guys. Now imagine a full season of that...
Devin Booker wrote:Bro.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,544

Post#47 » by stan francisco » Wed Aug 9, 2017 5:39 pm

I voted 18 but not because I don't think he's capable of putting up 20-25 every night at a decent % but because Lonzo plays in a way that's more conducive to produce six players in double figures than one guy getting 35. 365-24-7. The most open guy gets the ball in scoring position. Every time down the floor. Ingram won't always be that guy due to being such a threat whenever and wherever he gets the ball. His job will thus in part be to get others open by running off the ball.

I think we therefore shouldn't measure the success of BI based on his PPG but based instead on how many wins we get and how well he plays defense.

Offensively, I'll keep an eye on his shooting percentage. I have a feeling that this number will be a determining factor for our success as a team. If he shoots around 52%, I think we make the playoffs. I think he can andcwill do it. Because with a set defense, this young team can get confident and start outrunning people left and right.

Think about it. If you're an offensive player at any position on any non-Laker team, you're facing KCP, Ingram, Brewer, Lopez, Zubacca, Randle, Hart, Weber, Nance. That's a very long, athletic and strong and quick defensive team. One that it won't be fun to play on an off night.

Then there's JC, and to some extent Lonzo.

I want to see these kids run the fast break. In a few years, their half court offense will be good enough for contention. Until then, PPG, schmee-pee-gee.

It's all about defense.

18.4 PPG
8.2 RPG (4.7 DRPG, 3.5 ORPG)
3.1 APG
1.3 BPG
0.9 SPG
0.7 TOPG
52.5 EFG%
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
LakersSoul
Head Coach
And1: 4,486

Post#48 » by LakersSoul » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:10 pm

PockyCandy wrote:

You can see him get more and more explosive as the video progresses. By the end of the season Ingram was flat-out posterizing guys. Now imagine a full season of that...

According to Mike Trudell, he thinks that BI is now around 6'11" or possibly a 7 footer now. Imagine all those dunks above plus adding a few more inches and the alley-oops by Lonzo. BI is going to feast this season!

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2732852-lakers-brandon-ingram-has-reportedly-grown-to-611-and-changed-shooting-stroke?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=programming-national

"Westy, LeBron + AD to rule the West.
Return of the King, the Lakers."
Edrees
RealGM
And1: 11,143

Post#49 » by Edrees » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:40 pm

Got him pegged for 17-18 ppg
AcecardZ
Lead Assistant
And1: 541

Post#50 » by AcecardZ » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:53 pm

In Kobe's third season, as a twenty year old, he played 38 minutes per game and averaged 20 points.

If Brandon plays over 35 minutes a game and stays healthy there's no reason he shouldn't be able to average 18 points a game.
Sometimes being wrong is awesome!!! :D
BEazy
RealGM
And1: 2,483

Post#51 » by BEazy » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:16 am

Dude is 6'11 now. Those long arms and now his height, that's scary to even think about. He'll be able to block 7 footers with ease now.

Long Live The Black Mamba. Kobe Bean Bryant Laker For Life. 8/24
iamworthy
RealGM
And1: 8,909

Post#52 » by iamworthy » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:22 am

ScHoolBoy B wrote:Dude is 6'11 now. Those long arms and now his height, that's scary to even think about. He'll be able to block 7 footers with ease now.

Read on Twitter
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#53 » by Kilroy » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:35 am

In his second season, I really don't care about his average... All I'm looking for is a handful of serious scoring bursts... Like in the high 30's and maybe 1 or 2 in the 40s... And consistency of effort and effectiveness... It doesn't always have to translate into points, but he shouldn't have a bunch of games where he can't buy a basket either.
If that equates to 12ppg or 20ppg, doesn't matter as much to me... Although obviously 18+ppg would be pretty spectacular for a sophomore... Just that it's not make or break for me in a second year player...
By his 3rd year, one would hope that Ingram is a legit volume scorer.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#54 » by Spens1 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:22 am

He better average 15PPG at least this season, fair enough last year was his rookie season and it takes time, but he needs to make the jump.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,544

Post#55 » by stan francisco » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:38 am

I actually think he can average 20 pretty easily due to the amount of possessions this team will rack up but I'm not sure he will, for reasons posted above.
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
playboy jeanie
Sophomore
And1: 77

Post#56 » by playboy jeanie » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:06 pm

Agree with Kilroy in that I dont care about Ingrams PPG. I just want him to be a more efficient scorer, with an improved 3 point shot and keep developing defensively. Become the perfect complement for 2 max guys next season and slowly develop into a superstar himself as those guys age out. Kind of like how Kawhi developed in San Antonio.
aaron_gray
Analyst
And1: 979

Post#57 » by aaron_gray » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:59 pm

Bump
TyCobb wrote:Embiid at peak value after reaching a new maturity level.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,670

Post#58 » by dockingsched » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:04 pm

He ended up scoring 16.1, which means he didn’t really come close to meeting the expectations of a 18 ppg minimum of almost half the people that voted in the poll.

I voted for 15 ppg minimum, so quite pleased and encouraged he managed 16.1ppg.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#59 » by Slava » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:12 pm

Slava wrote:I'd be happy with a 15/7/3 kind of season, he is not a natural scorer but more of a swiss army knife. He needs to get good at a lot of things, most importantly the ability to draw fouls and knock down the 3 consistently before he can hit the 20 point mark.

He finished with 16.1/5.3/3.9. Not as big a rebounder as I expected but ended up pleasantly surprising me as a facilitator. Playing PG probably robbed him off some rebounding numbers as well. Overall an excellent sophomore year and he'll likely come into his own next season.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,969

Post#60 » by Landsberger » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:11 am

I agree he had a "big step" second season. I do think he's nearing the top of his scoring potential however. The way he scored has a lot to do with my thoughts on that as he scored primarily off fast breaks and dribble drives. If/when we widen the talent on this team this offseason I'm not sure he'll be getting the reps in isolation or the sets he increased those number with. Unless he develops a catch and shoot skill (didn't see much of that this year) he could score less next year but maybe be more efficient.

His all around game improvement was more impressive than his scoring IMHO.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers