ImageImageImageImageImage

Jordan ranks Kobe ahead of Lebron

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

Dunkz
Ballboy
And1: 8

Jordan ranks Kobe ahead of Lebron 

Post#1 » by Dunkz » Wed Aug 2, 2017 7:06 pm

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2725253-michael-jordan-ranks-kobe-bryant-over-lebron-james-saying-five-beats-three

I'd just like to add something as I know this is a controversial topic on a bias forum.

The amount of help Lebron has had in his championships, in my opinion, was way better than Kobes.

However, what isn't talked about a lot, is what the lakers did do opposing franchises because of their dominance.

Similar to the warriors, the lakers had an effect on teams trying to catch-up, blow up, or rebuild.

Think about what happened to pacers, Sixers, nets, wolves, blazers, magic, and especially the Kings because they could not catch up and keep pace with the lakers. The only team that kept pace was the Spurs.

The Kobe lakers destroyed franchises and forced them into situations similar to what the warriors are doing to the league now.

Lebron has never had that effect on the league. He has been the favorite with his "Super teams", but franchises never were destroyed based on the talent level the cavs and Heat had.

To sum it up, As far as I know, Kobe won championships with only one other hall of famer on the team at a time.

Lebron has more help there.

Kobe >Lebron
Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,513

Re: Jordan ranks Kobe ahead of Lebron 

Post#2 » by Michael Lucky » Wed Aug 2, 2017 7:24 pm

This isn't news.
Dunkz
Ballboy
And1: 8

Post#3 » by Dunkz » Wed Aug 2, 2017 7:29 pm

Michael Lucky wrote:This isn't news.

K.
Edrees
RealGM
And1: 11,156

Post#4 » by Edrees » Wed Aug 2, 2017 9:05 pm

Jordan has said this pretty often. It's not secret Jordan appreciates Kobe's game more, much like Jordan's its based on impressive jump shooting, crafty footwork, post-play, studying opponents habits - just an all around game, rather than Lebron's game being so heavily relient on powering your way to the rim because you are bigger and stronger than everyone. It's not to say Lebron isn't highly skilled, it's not easy to take care of your body like that or be so quick when you are so big he deserves all the credit for it, he's also skilled at court-vision, but Kobe's level of skill is more varied in terms of moves and skillset, similar to Jordan's. I think thats why Jordan will always see Kobe as better.
Tee212
Lead Assistant
And1: 423

Post#5 » by Tee212 » Wed Aug 2, 2017 9:37 pm

according to michael rapaport once you mention mj/kb there has to be at least an hour grace period of silence before you say lbj. i couldnt agree more.
milesfides
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,449

Post#6 » by milesfides » Wed Aug 2, 2017 10:23 pm

Two great all-time players. It would've been great to see them compete at their primes. Lebron has the benefit of recency effect. Obviously his ascendency when Kobe was injured/downside/rebuilding skews the assessment.

I have to credit Lebron for improving his jumper and willingness to take big shots in the clutch.

That being said, the argument for me was answered when we saw Kobe in the Olympics. That pecking order was clear. Kobe was their leader on both ends of the floor, and both the coaches and players looked to him to close out that gold medal game.

The only guy who commanded that much respect from his peers? Michael Jordan.

1) Jordan 2) Kobe 3) Magic 4) Lebron 5) Bird 6) who cares
“OH! Caruso parachutes in! You cannot stop him - you can only hope to contain him!” -Kevin Harlan, LAL-GSW 4/4/19
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#7 » by Slava » Wed Aug 2, 2017 10:28 pm

Kobe's entire game is a homage to Michael Jordan, no wonder he picks him.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
snaquille oatmeal
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,763

Post#8 » by snaquille oatmeal » Wed Aug 2, 2017 10:56 pm

Porsche - Ferrari
either one
Forum permissions
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot trade for basketball reasons in this forum
You cannot but I can...five rings!
Dloading99
Pro Prospect
And1: 162

Post#9 » by Dloading99 » Wed Aug 2, 2017 11:01 pm

I can see Jordan Saying that.

My thing with Lebron is he never had another Dominant Superstar play with him. who was a better player on his team. from 2000 to 2003 Shaq was the lead guy on the Lakers.

Lebron never had a Shaq prime player playing with him. like he never had a Dirk or Tim Duncan. I know people will say he joined up with players in Miami and Cleveland but come on he was always the lead guy with those teams.

To me it's like Comparing Jabar and Shaq. two different completely players. Jabar did so much skyhook free throws defense. But Shaq looked like the more dominant player the power the dunks.

Lebron and Kobe Kobe in his prime was a buckets getter. great defender. and great three point shooter. was Kobe the ball handler Lebron was no. Lebron could play point guard and Kobe wasn't or couldn't play point guard. he was a shooting guard.

To Me Lebron is the most complete basketball player I've ever seen. from when he was in high school he could be the best player in the league. his size power court vision shooting scoring ability. Defense was off the charts. I mean what he did in Miami against Duncan basically playing as a five. just great player. and you look at him now. he's never fallen off. he's never looked past his prime. he looks like he still in his prime. and that's why I call him the best. because there's no fall off I haven't seen it yet. and Kobe is my favorite basketball player but I gotta say it Lebron is a beast.
what would jack bauer do?
Veteran
And1: 295

Post#10 » by what would jack bauer do? » Wed Aug 2, 2017 11:31 pm

Well duh... If prime Lebron lost to well past their prime Duncan, ginobili, and Parker, what would he do if he actually had to go through multiple rounds of elite western conference teams. He's had a cake walk to the finals since the beginning of time. Basketball at the highest level, the playoff championship level comes down to closers. Kyrie had to be the closer last year, not Lebron. Lebron needed two other prime superstars to get his first two chips. No lie Lebron definitely makes his teammates better compared to Kobe and is a better specimen, but that doesn't do jack when making championship runs. Kobe specialized in demanding lazer focus from his teammates to the point of the game not being fun when they weren't winning. Results are all that matter in history, not whether your teammates had a fun season losing in the finals; that's why it's simple for MJ to call it that way.
what would jack bauer do?
Veteran
And1: 295

Post#11 » by what would jack bauer do? » Wed Aug 2, 2017 11:34 pm

If Lebron's 3 championship teams had to go through the gauntlet that has been the western conference the last ~20 years, they probably would've only made it once or twice.
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 40,972

Post#12 » by Sedale Threatt » Thu Aug 3, 2017 2:30 am

Slava wrote:Kobe's entire game is a homage to Michael Jordan, no wonder he picks him.

Pretty tough to reconcile how LeBron completely dwarfs Kobe in terms of advanced stats. It's a bloodbath. He's basically at Jordan/Kareem/Wilt level dominance. And then, even if you subtract Kobe's first two seasons, before he became a full-time starter, LeBron still has a better career scoring average on vastly superior efficiency. So really, I don't know how a sound case could be made for Kobe in this comparison. Certainly not by the Isiah Thomas method, i.e. counting rings.
Dloading99
Pro Prospect

Post#13 » by Dloading99 » Thu Aug 3, 2017 3:33 am

I'm not a homer I was at game 7 against Portland.

Lebron's had his moments in the playoffs at Boston game 6 to close out that series. against the Detroit pistons team that beat Kobe Lebron made them look like JV basketball players in that game 5 and single handily won that series for them.

So don't get it twisted. Lebron wasn't a scrub in the playoffs. And The Golden State game come on The shot okay Kyrie but what about the block by Lebron all plays aren't offense. runs full court to block igodoula.

and the game five before that 7 in Oakland in a close out game they won. Golden State nearly impossible to win and he bought those guys back a 73-9 team. are you kidding me?????????

Let's be real here the san Antonio game when the head band came off. Kobe in my opinion had a moment where he bought the Lakers back down 3-1 against sacramento and led the team back. played great defense against Mike Bibby and said I got him. made the plays. the Indiana game. But those teams Kobe had Shaq.

Kobe doesn't have the power Lebron has. Lebron is Like Shaq and Magic Johnson in one player. You have to be honest when it comes to NBA greats. When Lebron James came into the league he was the most talked about player and he had all the ability a basketball player could have. did he have Kobe's clutch shot well a lot of those times he made the basketball play.

But looking at his overall Basketball skill Lebron is the number one player and has been the number one player ever since he stepped into the league. We are talking about a guy who runs like a cat plays like a Bear he can jump through the roof and can guard one through five. the basketball skillset right now he's the best player in the league. The guy has been to the finals every year like for 10 seasons it's crazy.

He still won a game 7 against the spurs. Kobe is right there with Jordan but Lebron this guy is a beast dominant skilled athletic great player.
Trips71
Sophomore
And1: 82

Post#14 » by Trips71 » Thu Aug 3, 2017 3:56 am

Michael Lucky wrote:This isn't news.

Considering that I have seen this story on KCAL Channel 9 news, Bleacher Report, and Real GM, I would say it is.
TKainZero
Head Coach
And1: 3,275

Post#15 » by TKainZero » Thu Aug 3, 2017 4:25 am

1 team is Better than 3 teams

5 titles is more than 3

5/7 is better than 3/8 or whatever lebrons crappy record is in the finals
USA Celtics in full effect. Amazing chemistry building experience right there for the main core of the team

Proceeds to finish 7th and shames the entire nation!
Takes5
Sophomore
And1: 71

Post#16 » by Takes5 » Thu Aug 3, 2017 5:29 am

James needs to enters my top 10AT first. If he reaches top 5AT some discussion can begin. Til then... Nah.
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,637

Post#17 » by danfantastk32 » Thu Aug 3, 2017 5:52 am

Dunno man. I love me some Kobe Bryant....and I wouldn't trade his 20 years for anyone. But statistically, it's a no-brainer. Kobe played 20 seasons, to Lebron's 14 so far. Lebron already has him beat on assists and rebounds, and is about 4500 points behind (should overtake 3 seasons from now). More importantly...his per 36 minutes is just better at everything. Points, shooting percentage, rebounds, assists...etc etc. He has better advanced stats....career 27-28ish PER to Kobe's 22.4 (per 36 minutes).

Playoffs show the same story. You can't argue it: Lebron is a statistically better player at pretty much everything.
Advanced stats all go to Lebron....defensive included. Playoff advanced stats as well.

Both guys have taken the opposing players best man on most occasions....you prob give Kobe an edge there in the decade of the West being 60-times better than the East.

It's really about the argument you want to present. Kobe had Shaq. Lebron played in the Least....and let's not forget, he's had some pretty loaded teams for many years now. Jordan has some help himself, and I remember the "Jordan rules". I was there...Jordan was bigger than the NBA at that time. The NBA NEEDED him. He was a tenacious defender....don't get me wrong....but it sure is nice to know your gonna get away with stuff.

All 3 are pretty amazing, IMO. And they are right there neck&neck. I feel bad for anyone who doesn't (didn't) appreciate what each guy brought to the floor. Cause I think your looking at 3 of the top 5-6 players of all time.
Tee212
Lead Assistant
And1: 423

Post#18 » by Tee212 » Thu Aug 3, 2017 11:40 am

ehh iono..mj basically only had pippen..all the others were pretty meh...besides rodman. anyways my knock against lb is despite his dominance body/strength/speed/skillset his competitiveness was in question when he went to miami. Had he stayed with the cavs let kyrie/wiggins blossom and trust the front office then win 5-6 chips, not many would dispute whos better him or mj.
dAdo dA dEvil
Sixth Man
And1: 476

Post#19 » by dAdo dA dEvil » Thu Aug 3, 2017 1:39 pm

I know it too, MJ! :nod: :nod: :nod:
Dloading99
Pro Prospect

Post#20 » by Dloading99 » Fri Aug 4, 2017 12:40 am

Yeah Lebron's GM skills were horrible trading Wiggins. but I think that was Lebron knowing he wasn't staying in Cleveland. but if they had Wiggins that would be the perfect defender they needed.

Kobe in all his championships still had the dominant big. he Had Shaq and then he had Gasol and Bynum he still had twin towers. Kobe won those championships as the lead guy. But Gasol and Bynum made teams have to respect those guys in the post which really opened it up for him.

I think the one team Kobe could've really got in that conversation was the Phoenix team he almost beat.

Lebron to me is like Brady Brady not perfect in super bowls but won some great super bowls. no team has come from behind 3-1 in the finals but Lebron. the dude has done some great stuff in the finals. and like Brady he's still the best player in his league. look at this guy. He literally looks like a prime player young player in the league. look at the other guys that came into the league with him Melo Wade this guy is a Beast. it's really from a basketball stand point amazing what this guy is doing.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers