ImageImageImageImageImage

Lakers Coaching Staff - Let's talk progress

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,335

Lakers Coaching Staff - Let's talk progress 

Post#1 » by Dr Aki » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:49 am

We don't have a dedicated Coaching Staff thread, so here is one.

Head Coach
Luke Walton, (College - Arizona)

Associate Head Coach
Brian Shaw (College - UC-Santa Barbara)

Assistant Coaches
Jesse Mermuys, (College - Arizona)
Mark Madsen, (College - Stanford)
Brian Keefe, (College - UNLV)
Jud Buechler, (College - Arizona)
Miles Simon, (College - Arizona)

Trainer
Marco Nunez, (College - Cal Poly-Pomona)

source - http://www.nba.com/lakers/roster?ls=nav_extended_team (at the bottom)

One of the things I feel that we might possibly be lacking is the lack of a good band of merry men, who know how to get our, admittedly, very young squad up to NBA level. And whether there's something that they should be doing, on what schedule and whether the coaching staff are living up to expectations.

In years past, we've had Byron Scott, D'Antoni and Mike Brown flame threads, but I feel like that lays all the blame on a singular scapegoat, when really it's an all-encompassing group effort to get the team playing the way they should be playing.

Anyway, let's have at it
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,821

Re: Lakers Coaching Staff - Let's talk progress 

Post#2 » by TyCobb » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:54 am

Walton is just one of those guys that even though he may struggle in the beginning you know he'll figure it out and master it. He is a new age coach without much experience, but he has the new age recipe so we're in great shape. Sometimes I do believe he is too buddy buddy with the players though.
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
Jedi32
Head Coach
And1: 6,287

Post#3 » by Jedi32 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:02 am

TyCobb wrote:Walton is just one of those guys that even though he may struggle in the beginning you know he'll figure it out and master it. He is a new age coach without much experience, but he has the new age recipe so we're in great shape. Sometimes I do believe he is too buddy buddy with the players though.

Gotta remember Luke is still young so he can still kind of relate to the young guys a little. I agree with you though, I feel like Luke and Shaw will figure it out and make things work.
Dr Aki
RealGM

Post#4 » by Dr Aki » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:59 am

There is, I feel, a timer on how much time we allow Luke and Shaw to tinker around.

If by season's end, we're sitting at 20 something wins, that represents no forward progress, especially if we cannot parlay all that vaunted cap space into some marquee signing/s.

If that's the scenario, and LeBron says yo Magic, I want this guy and this team around me, I think Luke's time would be up rightly or wrongly
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#5 » by Kilroy » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:08 am

Lakers fans right now are judging everything based on the perceived potential of our supposed stars... The reality is, no matter how great we think Player X is going to be, right now he's a rookie or near rookie and still trying to figure out what he's going to be in the NBA, 3-5 years away from his prime...
So today, Walton has super talented crap to work with... I don't get some of his decisions, but it's hard to argue against them given the situation...
As for record, I think we're clearly exactly where logic would dictate we would be at this point... That is, pretty bad... That's what happens when your 'Core' is made up of 1, 2, and 3 year players basically...

And this is just a placeholder season anyway, as we wait to see what the FA market brings us next year... So it's a little hard to say exactly what kind of Job Luke and staff are doing right now...

That said, my gut tells me Luke has laid the groundwork... I think expectations have been set and the players, as much as they're capable of, understand what's expected... So at this point, as good or bad as this team is, is pretty much on them.

However, if we're close to as bad this year, as we were last year, I would not be the least bit surprised if a coaching change happens... I wouldn't let Luke go for anything, but I don't get the feeling Magic is as invested as we are.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
TylersLakers
RealGM
And1: 2,812

Post#6 » by TylersLakers » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:22 am

I'm skeptical.

This team needs a defensive co-ordinator in the worst way. In Golden State terms, we need our Ron Adams.

I just fear this coaching staff has too many buddies on it. I also question our player development.

We'll see.
Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,969

Post#7 » by Landsberger » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:24 am

First problem I see in the staff is that they are almost all from the PAC 10-12. Always overrated! :D

As for him being "new age" I'd disagree to some degree. There is little new age in the style of GS. They have a great collection of players at the right time with the right system. The style of play is set by the players themselves.... not the system. I don't see him as a visionary that has blazed a new trail in style of play. Uptempo, pass first, jump shooting teams have been around since the 70's (Denver and San Antonio of that era come to mind). GS's difference is that they are the first one to have a great deal of success doing it primarily because of a great mix of unique talents coming together at the right time. The Triangle is a system made a household word by Jordan, Pippen, Shaq, Kobe, Odom and Gasol. No one else was able to use it to make lesser talent better.

Luke is nearly a rookie coach and has a ton to learn. For me, I'd like to see the young guys in a strict line up a little more often. It's hard enough to grow individually but having to do it in a different situation from night to night just increases the curve for these young guys. Defensively this is out biggest issue. A team that has 4 line ups in 6 games will never play team defense well regardless of the individual talent in place. Defense is a team aspect of the game more than any other.

I'm in the minority here I know but I've not seen anything revolutionary in his style. It's a lot like Kerr just without the lightning in a bottle mix of players. I don't think he's a bad coach by any means. I think he's a lot like the rest of the team.... somewhat of an unknown. I also think he's got a ton to prove to the new leadership. He wasn't their pick and if they get their two top veterans in there they may want a veteran coach for that 3 year window of opportunity.
aaron_gray
Analyst
And1: 979

Post#8 » by aaron_gray » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:33 am

Should've had a D'Antoni appreciation thread instead. That guy absolutely maximized his players' potential, making guys like Jordan Hill, Jodie Meeks, Ryan Kelly, Kendall Marshall etc. look like gods. People like to **** on his defense but guess what, the defense continued to suck under Byron and it still sucks under Luke.

Edit: People like to praise Pop for finding gems in the 2nd round/D-League, but nobody could turn flaming piles of garbage into gods quite like D'Antoni could.
TyCobb wrote:Embiid at peak value after reaching a new maturity level.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#9 » by Slava » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:44 am

aaron_gray wrote:Should've had a D'Antoni appreciation thread instead. That guy absolutely maximized his players' potential, making guys like Jordan Hill, Jodie Meeks, Ryan Kelly, Kendall Marshall etc. look like gods. People like to **** on his defense but guess what, the defense continued to suck under Byron and it still sucks under Luke.

Edit: People like to praise Pop for finding gems in the 2nd round/D-League, but nobody could turn flaming piles of garbage into gods quite like D'Antoni could.

Phil Jackson rode a bench of turiaf, farmar, Sasha, Shannon brown and Josh Powell to back to back championships. That's converting trash to treasure.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,637

Post#10 » by danfantastk32 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:54 am

aaron_gray wrote:Should've had a D'Antoni appreciation thread instead. That guy absolutely maximized his players' potential, making guys like Jordan Hill, Jodie Meeks, Ryan Kelly, Kendall Marshall etc. look like gods. People like to **** on his defense but guess what, the defense continued to suck under Byron and it still sucks under Luke.

I always felt D'antoni got a really raw deal here as well. When he got canned, I told everyone of my Lakers buddies that things wouldn't change, because he wasn't the problem. 3-years....and 3 straight bottom or 2nd from bottom defensive teams later.....I don't understand the hate that guy got. <------water under the bridge at this point, I suppose.

I like Luke....but I don't see any player development. And like Byron....I don't see any defense.

Give the guy until the end of the season.....but you can cross off player development (look at Zubac, Ingram, Russell, Randle, Nance if you have any questions...not one of those guys have really taken any step). I think you can safely cross defense off as well. So what you have left is team record.

If the players aren't growing, the great blemish (defense) hasn't been corrected, and we aren't winning more games....then what's this coach doing?

My own personal 2-cents worth.....you can sorta sum folks up alot into "drivers" and "mechanics". Phil was a driver. Give him a good car, and he could get more out of it than anyone. Give Phil a beat up pinto??? I think Luke (and Kerr for that matter) are good drivers. Works well with the players on hand.

Mark Jackson is a mechanic. He BUILT that team. He molded those players....made some tough decisions, and can own the lion's share of the development. Not a great driver though.....once the car was ready.

I'm not completely ready to give up on Luke....but I think we got a driver...when we needed a mechanic. Doesn't make him bad....but we hired the wrong guy.
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,637

Post#11 » by danfantastk32 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:17 am

Perhaps a Lebron and a PG will turn this honda-civic into more of a Porsche. Maybe Luke can do more with that?
Dr Aki
RealGM

Post#12 » by Dr Aki » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:15 am

Slava wrote:

Phil Jackson rode a bench of mbenga, farmar, Sasha, Shannon brown and Josh Powell to back to back championships. That's converting trash to treasure.

but farmar and sasha were legit role players in a system that didn't force them to become primary playmakers

the rest, OK, shannon found a bit of form at the right times and mbenga and powell were 3rd stringers
Lakernut4ever
Junior
And1: 92

Post#13 » by Lakernut4ever » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:04 pm

I think the standard from which we can measure progress is to compare the current Laker squad to the Timberwolves..I wish I could say the team is better than them..but we are not...
BBBKobe
Junior
And1: 148

Post#14 » by BBBKobe » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:51 pm

I'm not sure how much we should put into the coaching this season.

Yeah we might look better on paper, but we still have some serious problems in several areas.

1-Shooting
2-Defense
3-Rebounding

Yeah we added Lopez and KCP to help with shooting and defense (KCP) , but other than that we didn't really do to much.
gts1
Starter
And1: 1,232

Post#15 » by gts1 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:27 pm

we'll see.. big roster turn around this summer.. basically the team is starting over from scratch so early on I'm sure it's going to look worse than it did last year
Wife: "you haven't heard a single thing I said"
Me: that's a funny way to start a conversation...
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,679

Post#16 » by dockingsched » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:46 pm

Lakernut4ever wrote:I think the standard from which we can measure progress is to compare the current Laker squad to the Timberwolves..I wish I could say the team is better than them..but we are not...

You think a team who’s last playoff appearance was a loss to the Shaq/Kobe lakers is the standard for which to measure progress? Really?
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
meetbishop
Sophomore
And1: 60

Post#17 » by meetbishop » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:04 pm

danfantastk32 wrote:

I always felt D'antoni got a really raw deal here as well. When he got canned, I told everyone of my Lakers buddies that things wouldn't change, because he wasn't the problem. 3-years....and 3 straight bottom or 2nd from bottom defensive teams later.....I don't understand the hate that guy got. <------water under the bridge at this point, I suppose.

I like Luke....but I don't see any player development. And like Byron....I don't see any defense.

Give the guy until the end of the season.....but you can cross off player development (look at Zubac, Ingram, Russell, Randle, Nance if you have any questions...not one of those guys have really taken any step). I think you can safely cross defense off as well. So what you have left is team record.

If the players aren't growing, the great blemish (defense) hasn't been corrected, and we aren't winning more games....then what's this coach doing?

My own personal 2-cents worth.....you can sorta sum folks up alot into "drivers" and "mechanics". Phil was a driver. Give him a good car, and he could get more out of it than anyone. Give Phil a beat up pinto??? I think Luke (and Kerr for that matter) are good drivers. Works well with the players on hand.

Mark Jackson is a mechanic. He BUILT that team. He molded those players....made some tough decisions, and can own the lion's share of the development. Not a great driver though.....once the car was ready.

I'm not completely ready to give up on Luke....but I think we got a driver...when we needed a mechanic. Doesn't make him bad....but we hired the wrong guy.

The player development part is my biggest issue with him. In fact i think some of the players have regressed after him coming on board. Go and watch Clarkson in his first year and compare him to his second year. One of the reason we were all high on Clarkson was his ability to drive to the basket. That was his greatest tool coming into the league. Luke came and tried to turn him into a jump shooter. If Clarkson was developed well there is no way he shouldn't be averaging 20pts for the Lakers. He is able to average 15pts by taking jump shots and he is put into position where he can use his athleticism and speed he will easily average 20pts. I will not be surprised if we trade Clarkson into a good situation and he does better than he was doing with the Lakers. Last season when we started using him in positions he was more comfortable in we really started playing very well and gave its a game with 30+ points.
Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,969

Post#18 » by Landsberger » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:16 pm

meetbishop wrote:
danfantastk32 wrote:

The player development part is my biggest issue with him. In fact i think some of the players have regressed after him coming on board. Go and watch Clarkson in his first year and compare him to his second year. One of the reason we were all high on Clarkson was his ability to drive to the basket. That was his greatest tool coming into the league. Luke came and tried to turn him into a jump shooter. If Clarkson was developed well there is no way he shouldn't be averaging 20pts for the Lakers. He is able to average 15pts by taking jump shots and he is put into position where he can use his athleticism and speed he will easily average 20pts. I will not be surprised if we trade Clarkson into a good situation and he does better than he was doing with the Lakers. Last season when we started using him in positions he was more comfortable in we really started playing very well and gave its a game with 30+ points.

Well said. The thought that ball movement solves everything is flawed. You adjust the system to your players natural talents not the other way around. The Triangle, in it's pure form, didn't support the Kobe isolations that made those teams so great. They didn't support the sets where Shaq just sat in the low corner of the key waiting for the toss either. The "ball movement" style that Luke likes doesn't play to a lot of our guys talents on this team. Hopefully he recognizes that and puts in sets that maximize certain players skills. Lopez in traditional low post sets. Clarkson/Ennis in high pick and rolls. Kuzma in isolation on the wing. If not, and we revert to the pure offense and shoot 20 3's a game we are going to see a lot of frustration out of this team.... and the fan base.
PKABOOICU
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,128

Post#19 » by PKABOOICU » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:59 pm

The coaching staff is not the problem. Its the lack of talent and chemistry. We just traded away our budding star, which means we just took a step back. Luke Walton and Co. are fine....our players not so much.
snaquille oatmeal
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,763

Post#20 » by snaquille oatmeal » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:08 pm

How is trainer school up in Chino tech?
Forum permissions