ImageImageImageImageImage

Around the NBA IX

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

Wavy Q
RealGM
And1: 2,390

Re: Around the NBA IX 

Post#1881 » by Wavy Q » Sat Jun 9, 2018 8:33 pm

I guarantee players talk to each other, it’s just dumbasses that would get caught
andrewww
General Manager
And1: 2,684

Post#1882 » by andrewww » Sat Jun 9, 2018 10:13 pm

Wavy Q wrote:I love yall dudes that are like I can't respect KD, Snake, etc as you struggle to get up from the couch to get snacks.

Im a Kobe guy through and through, but its obvious that the praise Lebron received winning in Miami with a super team made it justifiable for other superstars to fight fire with fire, the precedence was set whether people like it or not.

Bron stacked the deck with 3 all nba players in a Mickey Mouse conference for 8 years in a row, Durant saw a running mate who is an incredibly flawed player while the best position win multiple rings happened to be.. the team that beat his OKC team. And this is a team like the 2012-14 Spurs where they play team ball.

Why bother killing each other in the west (Spurs/Warriors/OKC/Houston etc) while Bron gets to coast for the entire season until the Finals?

Let's not forget that Kobe stuck it out with the Lakers because of the internal improvement of Bynum and eventually the addition of Pau put the Lakeshow on top.

Today's superstars learned from the mistakes of Garnett where he toiled in futility until it was almost too late while getting old...and that its the players who have the power to dictate their careers... I'm sure most superstars would "stay put" if they had competent front offices... Lebron being a slight exeption IMO because few players have leveraged their free agency to the degree that he has... He has no one to blame but himself for forcing mgmt into overpaying guys like Mr Kardashian or JR... Kyrie's departure was the first strike to Lebron decision part III... then when PG13 was willing to be traded to Cleveland AND extend..Lebron said he wouldnt commit... how is that not his fault for "having no help"?
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,247

Post#1883 » by wco81 » Sat Jun 9, 2018 11:27 pm

Sedale Threatt wrote:
tugs wrote:So you saying it's our time now, ST? ;)

Realistically, we've had enough good fortune for 10 NBA franchises. So maybe our purgatory is only beginning.

No kidding.

I think the pick that became Magic was highway robbery from the old New Orleans Jazz. And then not long after that, Worthy was one of the best in his draft class, added to a team which had won the title with a still very young Magic.

Then of course, LA was a magnet for players like Shaq and Howard. Not to mention Kobe.

And then that trade for Gasol.

Even before then, I don't know how Kareem ended up in LA but in those old days, probably big disparity in money among big and small market clubs. There still is today but with TV revenues sharing, it's not as bad.
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 40,970

Post#1884 » by Sedale Threatt » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:00 am

wco81 wrote:
Sedale Threatt wrote:
tugs wrote:So you saying it's our time now, ST? ;)

Realistically, we've had enough good fortune for 10 NBA franchises. So maybe our purgatory is only beginning.

No kidding.

I think the pick that became Magic was highway robbery from the old New Orleans Jazz. And then not long after that, Worthy was one of the best in his draft class, added to a team which had won the title with a still very young Magic.

Then of course, LA was a magnet for players like Shaq and Howard. Not to mention Kobe.

And then that trade for Gasol.

Even before then, I don't know how Kareem ended up in LA but in those old days, probably big disparity in money among big and small market clubs. There still is today but with TV revenues sharing, it's not as bad.

Kareem basically gave the Bucks an ultimatum that he would only play in L.A. or New York, and the Lakers had the pieces for the best offer. That's definitely luck.

But that's almost invariably what it takes. Like the Spurs -- won the lottery twice in years where a surefire Hall Of Fame big man was available who actually preferred playing/living in a small market. Or the Warriors, having Curry fall to them after the Timberwolves, in need of a point guard, passed on him TWICE.

And so on and on. You need to be lucky AND good.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,545

Post#1885 » by stan francisco » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:55 am

Good professionals (GMs in this case) also buy themselves “lucky” breaks by being very good at what they do and thus set themselves up for being in the right position when opportunity presents itself. Luck is definitely a part of it but fortune is often drawn to where there’s intelligent effort and industriousness.
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,926

Post#1886 » by tugs » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:00 pm

Not being revisionist here but I wonder where our luck was during the first rounds of recent drafts.

Meh, I still believe our players were unfortunate to be in a system run by Byron Scott.
snaquille oatmeal
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,763

Post#1887 » by snaquille oatmeal » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:59 pm

Wavy Q wrote:I love yall dudes that are like I can't respect KD, Snake, etc as you struggle to get up from the couch to get snacks.

my Doritos have nothing to do with a competitive heart
Forum permissions
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot trade for basketball reasons in this forum
You cannot but I can...five rings!
snaquille oatmeal
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1888 » by snaquille oatmeal » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:12 pm

andrewww wrote:

Im a Kobe guy through and through, but its obvious that the praise Lebron received winning in Miami with a super team made it justifiable for other superstars to fight fire with fire, the precedence was set whether people like it or not.

Bron stacked the deck with 3 all nba players in a Mickey Mouse conference for 8 years in a row, Durant saw a running mate who is an incredibly flawed player while the best position win multiple rings happened to be.. the team that beat his OKC team. And this is a team like the 2012-14 Spurs where they play team ball.

Why bother killing each other in the west (Spurs/Warriors/OKC/Houston etc) while Bron gets to coast for the entire season until the Finals?

Let's not forget that Kobe stuck it out with the Lakers because of the internal improvement of Bynum and eventually the addition of Pau put the Lakeshow on top.

Today's superstars learned from the mistakes of Garnett where he toiled in futility until it was almost too late while getting old...and that its the players who have the power to dictate their careers... I'm sure most superstars would "stay put" if they had competent front offices... Lebron being a slight exeption IMO because few players have leveraged their free agency to the degree that he has... He has no one to blame but himself for forcing mgmt into overpaying guys like Mr Kardashian or JR... Kyrie's departure was the first strike to Lebron decision part III... then when PG13 was willing to be traded to Cleveland AND extend..Lebron said he wouldnt commit... how is that not his fault for "having no help"?

not excusing Lebron for the super friends move in anyway, but I do think Lebron got validated when he went back to the Cavs and won a chip there. Durant's move was a coward's move from a competitive perspective just like Lebron's so Kevin needs to either go back to OKC or another team where he will clearly be the man. in GS he has 4 if not 5 guys that could be the man on any team.
Forum permissions
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot trade for basketball reasons in this forum
You cannot but I can...five rings!
RamonSessions7
RealGM
And1: 4,036

Post#1889 » by RamonSessions7 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:13 pm

tugs wrote:Not being revisionist here but I wonder where our luck was during the first rounds of recent drafts.

Meh, I still believe our players were unfortunate to be in a system run by Byron Scott.

Keeping our lightly protected picks was extremely lucky. Who we drafted/ how they turn out is obv. dependent on FO/coaching as opposed to luck.
andrewww
General Manager
And1: 2,684

Post#1890 » by andrewww » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:27 pm

snaquille oatmeal wrote:
andrewww wrote:

not excusing Lebron for the super friends move in anyway, but I do think Lebron got validated when he went back to the Cavs and won a chip there. Durant's move was a coward's move from a competitive perspective just like Lebron's so Kevin needs to either go back to OKC or another team where he will clearly be the man. in GS he has 4 if not 5 guys that could be the man on any team.

I understand your perspective on returning to Cleveland but I dont see it that way at all.

He only went back because Of two reasons:

-Wades knees were on major decline
-kyrie was now in clev and wiggins bout to be traded for klove. Anyone who disagrees look no furthe more to preseason vegas odds where the cavs were the 2014-15 title favourites. You think he goes “home” without help around him? His history suggests otherwise.

In other words, he changed the narrative for many people but I wont be fooled...this summer will be him ring chasing for a third time...Durant for all his fauls has done it once and did it better than lebron...
snaquille oatmeal
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1891 » by snaquille oatmeal » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:51 pm

andrewww wrote:
snaquille oatmeal wrote:
andrewww wrote:

I understand your perspective on returning to Cleveland but I dont see it that way at all.

He only went back because Of two reasons:

-Wades knees were on major decline
-kyrie was now in clev and wiggins bout to be traded for klove. Anyone who disagrees look no furthe more to preseason vegas odds where the cavs were the 2014-15 title favourites. You think he goes “home” without help around him? His history suggests otherwise.

In other words, he changed the narrative for many people but I wont be fooled...this summer will be him ring chasing for a third time...Durant for all his fauls has done it once and did it better than lebron...

the difference between the move to Miami and Back to Cleveland was that yes he had Kyrie, but nobody else. he did bring in Love but that was after the fact. Though Love was considered "the man" in Minnie he wasn't good enough enough to take them to the playoffs. so clearly the Cavs post the second coming was way inferior to the super friends Miami team.
Forum permissions