ImageImageImageImageImage

State of the Lakers?

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

State of the Lakers?

1. We have the NBA just where we want them. We are about to go on a massive roll.
3%
2. We are righting the ship and moving in the right direction.
30%
3. We are headed in the right direction but it may take longer than planned.
41%
4. We are headed in the wrong direction.
7%
5. We are sinking and fast.
10%
6. We are hopeless. Change the FO. Change the roster. Start all over.
10%

Total votes: 71

Slink
Bench Warmer
And1: 965

Re: State of the Lakers? 

Post#21 » by Slink » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:49 am

Kupchak9 wrote:The topic of this discussion should really be "How confident are you in the front office being able to sign FAs this offseason?"

I don't think the front-office has done anything to improve the on-court product today. In fact, I think our team is actually worse than it was last year. They only give unreasonable expectations to meet and provide little to no input on how to achieve those goals. They're strategy is to pretty much take an L this year, build up enough hype and use the same old tired tactics they've used for the past 4 seasons (LA is where stars are made, blah blah). Which will be a HUGE turn-off for FAs.

Pelinka is the GM this season so I don't think they will use the same tactics that failed Mitch. Instead I think they will use his connections as a former agent to reach out to FAs.
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,335

Post#22 » by Dr Aki » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:05 am

Frankly if anyone told me we'd be 2-4 and above average in defence (YES REALLY!)

I'd have told then they were full of ****.
LakersSoul
Head Coach
And1: 4,486

Post#23 » by LakersSoul » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:39 am

Good to see that most fans here are still optimistic about the Lakers this year and the future. After 33 people voted, we have majority of fans thinking the ship is moving in the right direction but might need some more time.

I dont know what it is (my endless optimism and love for the Lakers possibly) but it feels like the Lakers are about to make a nice run. Lonzo is due for a really good game and a really good shooting night. Lonzo is setting up for an aggressive push.

The next 13 to 20 games are filled with winnable games for this team. Hopefully the team gets a chance to gel, improve the defense and roles while making a small run to get above .500.

"Westy, LeBron + AD to rule the West.
Return of the King, the Lakers."
LakersSoul
Head Coach

Post#24 » by LakersSoul » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:42 am

Lonzo Ball's shooting drills.

Slink
Bench Warmer
And1: 965

Post#25 » by Slink » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:58 pm

LakersSoul wrote:Lonzo Ball's shooting drills.

That's a really weird shooting form when you look at it in slow motion. When he begins to shoot, it looks like he starts with his shooting hand on the side of the ball and then moves it underneath as he goes up.
LakersSoul
Head Coach

Post#26 » by LakersSoul » Wed Nov 1, 2017 11:51 pm

LakersSoul wrote:Good to see that most fans here are still optimistic about the Lakers this year and the future. After 33 people voted, we have majority of fans thinking the ship is moving in the right direction but might need some more time.

I dont know what it is (my endless optimism and love for the Lakers possibly) but it feels like the Lakers are about to make a nice run. Lonzo is due for a really good game and a really good shooting night. Lonzo is setting up for an aggressive push.

The next 13 to 20 games are filled with winnable games for this team. Hopefully the team gets a chance to gel, improve the defense and roles while making a small run to get above .500.

Toot my own horn here!!

Everything looks rosy after a complete victory by the Lakers and youngsters. We will surely have more ups and many downs but this team has real potential. Defense, passing and shooting. The next step will be to get a roster with better defenders and better shooters to support Ball and Family in the next 2 years.

XXBKXX
Senior
And1: 253

Re: RE: Re: State of the Lakers? 

Post#27 » by XXBKXX » Thu Nov 2, 2017 2:17 am

Slink wrote:
LakersSoul wrote:Lonzo Ball's shooting drills.

That's a really weird shooting form when you look at it in slow motion. When he begins to shoot, it looks like he starts with his shooting hand on the side of the ball and then moves it underneath as he goes up.

That's exactly what he does. There's a really good sports science vid on his form you should look at . When they slow it down, he does exactly what you just said. His hand starts on the side but at the last second he rotates his hand underneath the ball then shoots it. You would think this causes a long release but they timed it and he has a very quick release on his shot with good rotation. It's just that there's a lot of moving pieces going on which causes a lot of room for error. It also causes his follow through to finish awkwardly. His elbow and wrist finish in difference direction.

Honestly, Lonzos shot should have been fixed long ago. This is a result of how bad AAU is. Doesn't teach these kids fundamentals. Same reason why Ben Simmons never learned to shoot. AAU promotes athletically gifted kids to keep relying on their athleticism. Seeing the same thing happen with Zion. Hes not learning to shoot. He's just going to ride the hype train on his athleticism and dunks to the draft. Lamelo also. If Lavar really cared. He would work on his shot. Melo's entire shot is pushing the ball. He bends his elbows to literally push the ball on his shots. It results in ZERO rotation. Never seen anything like ithat Both Melo and Zo's messed up shots comes from them trying to shoot threes as kids before they were strong enough to properly do so.
BK
-----------------------
Lakers / Angels / Dolphins
LakersSoul
Head Coach

Post#28 » by LakersSoul » Thu Nov 2, 2017 12:29 pm

Its going to be a roller coaster ride this year with more ups than downs, hopefully. That said, the Detriot game was a thing of beauty and I wanted to post it here on the State of the Lakers thread.

;t=163s

danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,637

Post#29 » by danfantastk32 » Thu Nov 2, 2017 8:14 pm

LakersSoul wrote:Its going to be a roller coaster ride this year with more ups than downs, hopefully. That said, the Detriot game was a thing of beauty and I wanted to post it here on the State of the Lakers thread.

Our best defensive game in a while, IMO. Couple offensive things I really liked:

6 Guys in double-figures....nobody had 20. While it's fine to have guys over 20...nobody took more than 13 shots. The ball was moving, it was finding the open man.

Kuzma and Randle came in and did damage. 20 minutes and 17 minutes.....6-8 shooting (4-4 from 3!) and 7-9 shooting. 13 rebounds between them. If Randle's gonna go give me 17 and 7boards in 17 minutes, thats great. I think we might have something with these 2 on the bench....and if it keeps up, I'd like to see those minutes go up to around 24-25. It seems to be working, and it might be a role Randle embraces. Especially if he has such success with it.

I keep waiting for the sprained wrist....the concussion, the SOMETHING that takes Nance out for 8-10 games. He seems to have found a 4th gear....and seems to be playing a little more patient, and in control. He's doing GREAT. I hope to god I haven't jinxed it.

I hope we roll with this for a few games, and see how it goes. I look at J-Hart, and Clarkson, and Brewer....and I see 3 potential guys who could give up a couple minutes and throw them Kuzma / Randle's way....if this does ultimately pan out.
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach

Post#30 » by danfantastk32 » Fri Nov 3, 2017 9:07 am

danfantastk32 wrote:I keep waiting for the sprained wrist....the concussion, the SOMETHING that takes Nance out for 8-10 games. He seems to have found a 4th gear....and seems to be playing a little more patient, and in control. He's doing GREAT. I hope to god I haven't jinxed it.

*sigh*
LakersSoul
Head Coach

Post#31 » by LakersSoul » Sat Nov 4, 2017 7:24 am

Great job by the young team to keep the lead and keep the distance and prevent the Nets from getting the lead in the 2nd half.

Overall:
4 wins and 5 losses on the year. Not a bad start.
Stronger defense.
Youngsters (Kuz and BI mainly) coming on strong.

Kuzma with 21 points and 13 rebounds.

LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,191

Post#32 » by LAKESHOW » Sat Nov 4, 2017 4:39 pm

Folks we are going to lose more games. Win more games. Struggle. Etc... And it's early to give a full status and state of the team. But no one can deny. We are definitely going in the right direction. We are headed in an upward trajectory. We are in a better place than last year. However, we have a long way to go. But I'm liking the positive steps this far. But still, we've got tons to go before we reach our LAKER lofty goasl. But I like the direction.
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
OzCastiel
Senior
And1: 531

Post#33 » by OzCastiel » Sat Nov 4, 2017 5:12 pm

Gambling on free agency is the same **** jim buss tried to do. If they don't get lebron klay durant and boogie cousins then magic needs to be fired
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 5,399

Post#34 » by Danny Darko » Sat Nov 4, 2017 5:19 pm

i know this... thank god there is no chance we tank this year. I'm enjoying competitive basketball.
Kswiss
Rookie
And1: 370

Post#35 » by Kswiss » Sun Nov 5, 2017 1:40 am

OzCastiel wrote:Gambling on free agency is the same **** jim buss tried to do. If they don't get lebron klay durant and boogie cousins then magic needs to be fired

??? Free agency is always a gamble. You hope to land some good players but if not you try to continue building the team organically by establishing a winning culture. We are doing both.
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach

Post#36 » by danfantastk32 » Sun Nov 5, 2017 7:43 am

Kswiss wrote:
OzCastiel wrote:Gambling on free agency is the same **** jim buss tried to do. If they don't get lebron klay durant and boogie cousins then magic needs to be fired

??? Free agency is always a gamble. You hope to land some good players but if not you try to continue building the team organically by establishing a winning culture. We are doing both.

Agree. People treat FA (or drafting for that matter) like it's some 'special' way of building a team. Everyone wants to sign star players. I mean....no sh**! Of course Magic and Rob want to sign stars. Of course they kept space.

People talk of 'keeping space' like it's some sort of magic potion. Who spends their cap space on crap (except Jim/Mitch....who got fired 60 games afterwards)? Think about it....if we can't sign multiple FA's this offseason, it will be because of signings from Mitch/Jim. Magic / Rob will say as much, and nobody will blame them.

We just need to worry about what we can control: developing the guys we have. Like you said....a little of both. If a FA comes along who we like.....then grab him. None of this is rocket science. This is pretty GM-101
LakersSoul
Head Coach

Post#37 » by LakersSoul » Sun Nov 5, 2017 8:48 am

Great review of the Lakers win against Nets. Love the analysis of Lopez, Kuzma, Ingram and even JC.

http://www.keyt.com/sports/gauchos-break-90-point-mark-in-exhibition-win-over-fresno-pacific/651998821

tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,926

Post#38 » by tugs » Tue Nov 7, 2017 1:56 pm

Am I the only one who doesn't want any max FAs next year and prefer to keep this core team?
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#39 » by Kilroy » Tue Nov 7, 2017 4:38 pm

LakersSoul wrote:Great review of the Lakers win against Nets. Love the analysis of Lopez, Kuzma, Ingram and even JC.

http://www.keyt.com/sports/gauchos-break-90-point-mark-in-exhibition-win-over-fresno-pacific/651998821

Woo Hoo! Go Gauchos!
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 5,399

Post#40 » by Danny Darko » Tue Nov 7, 2017 4:49 pm

Kilroy wrote:
LakersSoul wrote:Great review of the Lakers win against Nets. Love the analysis of Lopez, Kuzma, Ingram and even JC.

Woo Hoo! Go Gauchos!

I think this was the intended link: lakers breakthrough vs nets

Return to Los Angeles Lakers