ImageImageImageImageImage

Game 16: Phoenix Suns (5-11) @ Los Angeles Lakers (6-9) - LOSS - 6-10

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

MAMBAEMD
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,622

Re: Game 16: Phoenix Suns (5-11) @ Los Angeles Lakers (6-9) - LOSS - 6-10 

Post#381 » by MAMBAEMD » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:52 am

Kilroy wrote:Ball could learn just as well off the bench... Maybe better...
Watch him... The kid's completely frustrated right now.

I think I've been pretty clearly a Lonzo Ball fan since we drafted him... I want him to succeed as much as anyone... He just looks pretty terrible right now, and I'm not sure more PT or starter minutes are the answer.

You have been consistently patient with him and I think you're making this suggestion for his own good.
I think that if he is still struggling significantly after 25-30 games, I'd consider bringing him off the bench.
Obviously he is not shooting well. Frankly I don't think he'll ever be an elite shooter.
But I think he's pretty good defensively . Booker can make anyone look bad on D.
He is also looking for teammates and is getting the ball to them. It's hard to get a lot of assists when the guys miss so many shots.
He also rebounds fairly well for a PG.
I'd be more patient.
We're not making the playoffs with or without him as a starter. Might as well get him minutes and stamina.
I'd only remove him from the starting lineup if I felt his confidence is going south, and I do t see that yet.
Formerly lakerRD
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#382 » by Kilroy » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:57 am

TyCobb wrote:Is he struggle shooting? Yes. He is however, still finding teammates, taking care of the basketball, active hands defensively, rebounding extremely well, pretty much does all of the fundamentals of a winning formula. His teammates get the pass and dribble into too many two point attempts though. They need much more ball movement and Lonzo needs to touch the ball twice in the majority of half-court situations, not once in the first two seconds of it and then they iso the rest of the way.

He doesn't even bring the ball up most of the time now... We have JC or KCP doing that... Sure when Lonzo gets the ball in transition, he makes nice passes... But he passes too quick IMO... He doesn't even try to set up an offensive set or anything like that, most times he has the ball for no more than a second or 2... Some of those passes end up being key plays, but he looks like he's playing hot-potato much of the time...
He's made some nice blocks, he's grabbed some boards... All good things... But he's doing that because he's not able to do the things we really need him to do right now, and frankly, those are the kinds of things a backup PG does on most teams...
Rondo is a great passer and a poor shooter... But he runs the offense, and I can't ever remember him letting someone else bring the ball up for him...
Honestly, I don't have a problem with Lonzo being bad right now... He's a rookie and has a lot to figure out... And I see greatness in those little things, and think he'll work himself into something good. I'm not a hater...

But he IS bad... And gifting him minutes, especially starting minutes, doesn't seem to be helping. Like I said earlier... He doesn't look happy out there right now... He's getting frustrated.

And we need to win games this season... Especially the winnable ones... We may not be a playoff team, but we have to show those Max FAs we have pieces here that can help them win championships... Because right now, the Sixers have cap and are winning that battle.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#383 » by Kilroy » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:04 am

For the record and FWIW... I spent a full 30min getting laughed and and ridiculed today by drunken Spurs fans at work because I said Lonzo Ball will be a Super Star in 5 years... Actually if you factor in little comments throughout the night, It may have been more like a full hour. :lol:
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,815

Post#384 » by TyCobb » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:08 am

You're still completely ignoring him being the best defender out of the starters (at least while Nance is out).
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#385 » by Kilroy » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:17 am

KCP?
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,815

Post#386 » by TyCobb » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:18 am

Reputation? He just got lit up by Booker again.
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
Supreme-
Sophomore
And1: 36

Post#387 » by Supreme- » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:35 am

TyCobb wrote:I know we love points and forget that the are other aspects of basketball, Dennis Smith getting all the love yet he is worse WS than Lonzo. Meanwhile, Lonzo is first from his draft class to 100 points, 100 rebounds, 100 assists.

he has a 0.4 difference in WS.. im sure that has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that dallas is terrible ..

meanwhile lonzo per and ts% are 9.7 and 0.364, dsj 12.7/0.484 but yay he's the first in the class to get 100/100/100 lol
ajdontwatchthat
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,496

Post#388 » by ajdontwatchthat » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:43 am

Lonzo doesn't run enough Pick and Roll with this team.He's not involved in the offense unless it's off a defensive rebound and quick pass down the court which 90% of the time doesn't mean anything. It's not a pass to set up an offense or to generate ball movement or get a field goal, it's literally a pass while he goes to the weak side and never touches the ball again.

I feel like this may be on the coaching side of things but Lonzo still has to demand the ball.

Walton wants this team to be like GS yet we don't have any type of GS personnel.

The team doesn't run ANY plays for Ingram. Not a shot to get him open on the mid range like how GS runs for KD, nothing.

Brook Lopez is soft like charmin,KCP plays above his basketball IQ, Lonzo looks like he has no dog in him or a deer in headlights, Ingram needs to demand the ball and Kuzma is just fine :).
ajdontwatchthat wrote:So were Horry and Rick Fox more productive than a young Kobe judging off PER?

Pennebaker wrote:Yes, absolutely. Young Kobe was not a great player.
LakersSoul
Head Coach
And1: 4,486

Post#389 » by LakersSoul » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:46 am

TyCobb wrote:Reputation? He just got lit up by Booker again.

KCP is gone by trading deadline.

"Westy, LeBron + AD to rule the West.
Return of the King, the Lakers."
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#390 » by DEEP3CL » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:07 am

What cost us tonight was shot selection,bad defense,turnovers, and like I said last game...Our starting lineup has flaws.

We're not getting consistent buckets from anyone in that group. It's all in spurts and then that player goes salient.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
Crooked-I
General Manager
And1: 2,686

Post#391 » by Crooked-I » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:13 am

Benching Lonzo isn't the answer. He'd get absolutely killed by the media if that happened. It'd be on every sports show/site on the planet. It'd kill any confidence he has left. And just imagine what freakin Lavar would do lol. Benching him isn't the answer just like benching D'lo and Julius wasn't the answer. It's a development year. Leave him in the fire and let him figure it out. We did that to Ingram last year and he had a horrible year, but he seems to be figuring it out this year. Same can happen with Lonzo. It's just up to him to figure it out.
LAKER FAN FOR LIFE

RIP Kobe and Gigi
XTraderXL
Sixth Man
And1: 1,342

Re: Game 16: Phoenix Suns (5-11) @ Los Angeles Lakers (6-9) 

Post#392 » by XTraderXL » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:17 am

lakerRD wrote:
Kilroy wrote:
TylersLakers wrote:
Yep.

Personally, I'd start Ball/Clarkson/Ingram/Kuzma/Randle.

Let's get some shot creation in this starting line-up and our two best three point shooters (Clarkson, Kuzma) on the floor.

Lopez can play against bigger teams 20-25 MPG off the bench.

Ball's not a starter at this point... I really hate to post that, but there it is.

We're not losing because of Ball though .
We're losing because of TOs and bad team defense.

I think he should continue to start and learn the NBA game .

You are right, Lakers are not losing because of Ball but at the same time the guy is completely useless. He gets rid of the ball every chance he gets and looks scared to death out there. There is no PG in the league right now that wouldnt have more impact on the game than Lonzo given the same about of minutes and freedom. Where I come from we say he is playing alibi basketball which means he is just playing so he doesnt mess up. I take an inferior player with balls over Lonzo any day of the week.
XTraderXL
Sixth Man
And1: 1,342

Post#393 » by XTraderXL » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:23 am

Crooked-I wrote:Benching Lonzo isn't the answer. He'd get absolutely killed by the media if that happened. It'd be on every sports show/site on the planet. It'd kill any confidence he has left. And just imagine what freakin Lavar would do lol. Benching him isn't the answer just like benching D'lo and Julius wasn't the answer. It's a development year. Leave him in the fire and let him figure it out. We did that to Ingram last year and he had a horrible year, but he seems to be figuring it out this year. Same can happen with Lonzo. It's just up to him to figure it out.

You really think that people outside of US care about Lonzo??? Trust me, nobody gives a ****. Lavar was only able to sell Lonzo in the US, everywhere else in the world the whole family is a joke and people wonder how its possible that Magic fell for the freak show that is BBB. I dont blame Lavar for whats going on with Lonzo, its 100% Magics fault. He was the one who picked Lonzo and called him a future HOF while it was clear the guy is just another average NBA PG. Magic looks more and more like an idiot for buying what Lavar was selling and the whole world is laughing at him. :banghead:
mcscotty
Rookie
And1: 486

Post#394 » by mcscotty » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:19 am

It's still very early in Lonzo's career and he has had a few monster games that have given us glimpses of what he can be. Eventually, he will start playing consistently great ball and will be transcendent. It's just gonna take time, patience and proper guidance. I'm still very confident he'll get there. He's just too good to fail IMHO.
mcscotty
Rookie
And1: 486

Post#395 » by mcscotty » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:58 am

Kilroy wrote:Ball could learn just as well off the bench... Maybe better...
Watch him... The kid's completely frustrated right now.

I think I've been pretty clearly a Lonzo Ball fan since we drafted him... I want him to succeed as much as anyone... He just looks pretty terrible right now, and I'm not sure more PT or starter minutes are the answer.

Furthermore, I think Clarkson has earned a spot in the starting lineup.
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#396 » by Spens1 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:55 pm

This happened last season, where we started well but then started sucking. Honestly there comes a point where i think we just have to accept that this team is just downright terrible and hope and pray front office have a plan to lure a top free agent or two to L.A and get us somewhat competitive.
Spanish_Laker
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,010

Post#397 » by Spanish_Laker » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:23 pm

As I predicted, an easy L. I'm not calling this season a lost one yet, let's see if this team is capable of beating elite teams before calling this team "the same **** of every year since 2012".
Banned after 15 years in this forum for no reason. Farewell RealGM users
Spanish_Laker
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,010

Post#398 » by Spanish_Laker » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:25 pm

Spens1 wrote:This happened last season, where we started well but then started sucking. Honestly there comes a point where i think we just have to accept that this team is just downright terrible and hope and pray front office have a plan to lure a top free agent or two to L.A and get us somewhat competitive.

Yep. Last season it all started with back-to-back losses to the freaking Dallas Mavericks, one of the worst teams in the NBA last season and this one too. This season, back-to-back losses to Philly and Phoenix, LMAO...
Banned after 15 years in this forum for no reason. Farewell RealGM users
Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,513

Post#399 » by Michael Lucky » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:56 pm

Philly is a good team so I'm not upset with that loss. Losing to the Suns though..... Especially on the second of a back to back where they gave up 90 points in a half in the first game....
TwoStarz
Analyst
And1: 1,842

Post#400 » by TwoStarz » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:42 pm

Michael Lucky wrote:Philly is a good team so I'm not upset with that loss. Losing to the Suns though..... Especially on the second of a back to back where they gave up 90 points in a half in the first game....

The Suns team really wanted this game and it was one of those they can’t miss nights. Tyler ulis of all people was step back one footed shots all night it seemed. They came out guns blazing. Trap game in its finest

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

Return to Los Angeles Lakers