Julius Randle is too legit to be a second option in free agency

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,447

Julius Randle is too legit to be a second option in free agency 

Post#1 » by Slava » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:26 pm

He hit the 20 PER mark for the season which is that borderline between good starter and all star.
Free throw rate at 43.7 is good for 90th percentile in the league.
60.8% TS is 8th amongst players with 25% usage who play atleast 25 mins/game.
The team is +3.8 with him on the court.

Its a mistake to make him an afterthought in free agency and its time the Lakers plan for a future with him in mind.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,821

Re: Julius Randle is too legit to be a second option in free agency 

Post#2 » by TyCobb » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:32 pm

He ain't going nowhere with his biggest fan the head coach. Literally not even worried about it.
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
dub81
Sixth Man
And1: 182

Post#3 » by dub81 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:15 pm

He's only 23 years old. Lakers would be foolish to let him go.
iamworthy
RealGM
And1: 8,909

Post#4 » by iamworthy » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:36 pm

Slava wrote:He hit the 20 PER mark for the season which is that borderline between good starter and all star.

Its a mistake to make him an afterthought in free agency and its time the Lakers plan for a future with him in mind.

So you've come around to 15-18 million per for Julius?
kobe808lak
Sixth Man
And1: 601

Post#5 » by kobe808lak » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:38 pm

this guy is good. would hate to see him in another uniform.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,447

Post#6 » by Slava » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:43 pm

iamworthy wrote:
Slava wrote:He hit the 20 PER mark for the season which is that borderline between good starter and all star.

So you've come around to 15-18 million per for Julius?

I've come around to match any offer sheet upto $15M.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Mirjalovic
Head Coach
And1: 1,780

Post#7 » by Mirjalovic » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:02 pm

15mil is lowball offer for Julius and his kind of production.
shawn_hemp wrote: a guy who is far worse than Robert Covington in Brandon Ingram, and a guy who is no better than TJ McConnell or Tony Wroten in D'Angelo Russell.

Sixers fans...

Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#8 » by Kilroy » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:28 pm

Yeah, 15M is probably a low ball right now... But I think he might take it to play in LA for a contender.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Beethoven
Head Coach
And1: 3,834

Post#9 » by Beethoven » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:45 pm

Is he not going to let up once he signs a new contract? Or do you believe he'll continue this work ethic ?
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#10 » by Kilroy » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:57 pm

I don't think he's doing what he's doing now for the contract, I think he's doing it for his coach and pride... He's a young kid and is just figuring out that he can impose his will at the NBA level. That's got to be intoxicating, and hard to give up...
Sure he wants to get paid, but if we got LeBron and kept him, he's going to want to prove he can still do it in front of the bigger audience having superstars on the team brings.

There may be a let down in production next season, but I don't think it will be due to Randle taking his foot off the gas but more due to a different role due to a much different lineup.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Pythagoras
Analyst
And1: 3,282

Post#11 » by Pythagoras » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:12 pm

He clearly wants to be here, and Lebron's quote makes me think some of the other big names are starting to take notice of him. Take a look at his numbers as his minutes have gone up:

Jan:
25.9 mpg
15.3 ppg/9 rpg/ 2.5 apg/21 PER

Feb:
31.9 mpg
19.4 ppg/9 rpg/ 4.3 apg/20.6 PER

Mar:
32.9 mpg
22.8 ppg/8.7 rpg/ 3.5 apg/24.8 PER :o

Can you imagine him at the C with Bron at the 4, and Ingram, PG and Lonzo out there too???? Even if you want to argue that Randle can't handle all 32 min at the C in that lineup, you could easily get away with it for 10 - 15 min a night.... That'd be our own version of the death lineup.
Numbers rule the universe.
Pythagoras
Analyst
And1: 3,282

Post#12 » by Pythagoras » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:14 pm

Kilroy wrote:I don't think he's doing what he's doing now for the contract, I think he's doing it for his coach and pride... He's a young kid and is just figuring out that he can impose his will at the NBA level. That's got to be intoxicating, and hard to give up...
Sure he wants to get paid, but if we got LeBron and kept him, he's going to want to prove he can still do it in front of the bigger audience having superstars on the team brings.

There may be a let down in production next season, but I don't think it will be due to Randle taking his foot off the gas but more due to a different role due to a much different lineup.

Agreed. Randle is a unique combination of speed and power that I've rarely seen in the NBA. I'm so mesmerized by Ingram's combination of length and skill, even I didn't appreciate just how much of a freak Julius was in his own right... And I've been a big supporter of his...
Numbers rule the universe.
Mamba Mentality
RealGM
And1: 19,590

Post#13 » by Mamba Mentality » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:22 pm

February:19.4 points, 9.0 rebounds and 4.3 assists, while shooting 58.9 percent from the field.

March: 22.8 points, 8.7 rebounds and 3.5 assists, while shooting 59.0 percent from the field.

That PER is good enough to rank 43rd in the NBA, eight spots ahead of the highly coveted Paul George. Pretty ridiculous stuff... I'll be really surprised if the Lakers let him walk.
iamworthy
RealGM
And1: 8,909

Post#14 » by iamworthy » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:27 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if he blows of the Lakers for another team. He's been under appreciated for a long time. Anytime the words young core is mentioned his name is never in the conversation. He's clearly changed that but I just wonder how he feels about it. We will find out this summer.
shakes0
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,962

Post#15 » by shakes0 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:39 pm

Imagine how good he would be if he actually knew how to play basketball? The guy does pretty good now considering he is without a doubt the dumbest basketball player in the entire league. He'd be a superstar if he learned to stop taking 2-3 charges per game, learned how to roll off a pick and roll and actually started running up the court at change of possessions instead of hanging in the backcourt looking to dribble the ball.
MistyMountain20
General Manager
And1: 7,166

Post#16 » by MistyMountain20 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:06 pm

shakes0 wrote:Imagine how good he would be if he actually knew how to play basketball? The guy does pretty good now considering he is without a doubt the dumbest basketball player in the entire league. He'd be a superstar if he learned to stop taking 2-3 charges per game, learned how to roll off a pick and roll and actually started running up the court at change of possessions instead of hanging in the backcourt looking to dribble the ball.

Good luck maintaining an opinion that's bad and wrong and having it look sillier and sillier with each passing game.
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 40,980

Post#17 » by Sedale Threatt » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:14 pm

iamworthy wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if he blows of the Lakers for another team. He's been under appreciated for a long time. Anytime the words young core is mentioned his name is never in the conversation. He's clearly changed that but I just wonder how he feels about it. We will find out this summer.

I mean, he’s a restricted free agent, so he’s not going anywhere if we don’t want him to. There’s little doubt at this point he’s going to sign a big offer sheet with someone, especially if he keeps this up through the rest of the season, at which point the ball is totally in our court. It’s easy to flip out after a game like last night, but this is his second straight season of marked improvement and he’s still only 23. So we’ve got some very, very interesting decisions to make this summer.
iQon
Senior
And1: 168

Post#18 » by iQon » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:22 pm

One Love
Starter
And1: 290

Post#19 » by One Love » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:34 pm

I have never been a huge Randle fan but dude is ballin... Don’t under estimate greed and money... Hiw many times have we seen it... Dude gets paid & slows down... Only question...

Is this the contract year ballin?
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 40,980

Post#20 » by Sedale Threatt » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:37 pm

One Love wrote:I ave never been a huge Randle fan but dude is ballin... Only question... Is this the contract year ballin? Don’t under estimate money... Dude just got married & broke his leg (lost a season)...

Definitely always a concern. The big positive is that Randle has improved markedly in each of his past two seasons, and his surge over the past couple of months overlaps with Luke finally plugging him into the starting lineup. So there's a lot more going on than just that.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers