stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,545

Re: Julius Randle is too legit to be a second option in free agency 

Post#161 » by stan francisco » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:44 pm

larry14r wrote:
stan francisco wrote:
larry14r wrote:
You do know PG is younger and more easier to get than LBJ.

Yes. And he's not as good, not a long term solution as a star. 1+1 is all I'd give him.

The problem is that neither PG or LBJ will come alone so it has to be both or nothing. Also one of them alone will not get out of the west.

Did you hear the last postgame interview with LBJ after last matchup, regarding Randle? "He's been doing that to everyone lately".

Did you know that Julius scored 36 on LeBron?

Did you see the close-up of LBJ scratching his head after Jilius tore up the entire interior Cavs defense up on a play? I don't read minds but if there were a cartoon thinking bubble above his head: "Hmm, Randle or PG? Hmm... Damn this is gonna be a hard decision..."

Ball, Hart, Ingram, Kuzma, LBJ, Randle. Try to add Nurkic or another big C and call it a WCF next season. Even without s new center he'll like his chances. Fans might not always get it, but he gets it, he knows that we will be significantly better next year when Ball and Kuzma and Hart are not rookies anymore.
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
kobe_vs_jordan
General Manager
And1: 4,489

Post#162 » by kobe_vs_jordan » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:27 pm

If Randle finishes the season on the same pace, the question becomes do the Lakers match a max. I figure teams would offer him trade kickers on a near max deal to discourage Lakers from matching. Randle might be the best RFA that is likely to change teams. Gordon and Capella likely stay with their teams.
larry14r
Bench Warmer
And1: 131

Post#163 » by larry14r » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:43 am

stan francisco wrote:
larry14r wrote:
stan francisco wrote:
Yes. And he's not as good, not a long term solution as a star. 1+1 is all I'd give him.

The problem is that neither PG or LBJ will come alone so it has to be both or nothing. Also one of them alone will not get out of the west.

Did you hear the last postgame interview with LBJ after last matchup, regarding Randle? "He's been doing that to everyone lately".

Did you see the close-up of LBJ scratching his head after Jilius tore up the entire interior Cavs defense up on a play? I don't read minds but if there were a cartoon thinking bubble above his head: "Hmm, Randle or PG? Hmm... Damn this is gonna be a hard decision..."

Ball, Hart, Ingram, Kuzma, LBJ, Randle. Try to add Nurkic or another big C and call it a WCF next season. Even without s new center he'll like his chances. Fans might not always get it, but he gets it, he knows that we will be significantly better next year when Ball and Kuzma and Hart are not rookies anymore.

So the F what, and F LBJ too.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#164 » by stan francisco » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:00 pm

larry14r wrote:
stan francisco wrote:
larry14r wrote:

So the F what, and F LBJ too.

Good points.

The point that maybe escaped you is that he might be just as likely to come here if Randle is re-signed as he would be with PG13. I doubt PG13 is the end-all be-all condition for LBJ. Respectful disagreement.
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,637

Post#165 » by danfantastk32 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:03 pm

stan francisco wrote:Good points.

The point that maybe escaped you is that he might be just as likely to come here if Randle is re-signed as he would be with PG13. I doubt PG13 is the end-all be-all condition for LBJ. Respectful disagreement.

They were pretty good arguments...no doubt. I'm kinda on your side with this: Depending on what OKC does in the playoffs, I think PG just WANTS to come here. There's enough youth, that we can become something legit as is in 3 years or so. Throw PG in, and while we don't have a 'warrior' killer....who does? That OKC team is just gonna run against the wall 3-4 years in a row, and then pitter out.

I think LBJ would of course be GREAT in PG's mind, but I don't think that plays more than maybe 5% in his decision. Really it just turns a 'yes' into a "FU** yes!"

Think the same with Lebron. He might weigh a 2nd star more heavily than PG, as his window is much shorter...but I can see him thinking that just his name will get that 2nd star....and I don't think it has to be PG in his mind.

I think this team will miss Randle, and what he's been doing. The Lakers will be total fools to just let the guy walk to get PG and Lebron. I say sign Randle (within REASON)....and then see what's left. If stretching Deng means we can sign both PG and Lebron, I think you gotta do it. If someone has to take a 2-3 mil haircut....it is what it is. If that breaks off the deal, then we wait till next year.

Personally....I'd rather sign Randle...then get Lopez a 1-year deal, and then just sign one of the big stars.
what would jack bauer do?
Veteran
And1: 295

Post#166 » by what would jack bauer do? » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:27 pm

I would rather pay Randle near max and sign a guy like Avery bradley on the cheap or possibly a one year inflated deal than sign Paul George. Ingram is better than Paul George already and I would rather go for Klay Thompson next year. Dude tried to force himself into LA coming into the NBA. He'll listen to our pitch and taking him away from Golden State turns us into the next dynasty.
Penberthy
Sixth Man
And1: 243

Post#167 » by Penberthy » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:30 pm

What would need to happen for us to be able to sign Randle, LBJ and PG
Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,969

Post#168 » by Landsberger » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:35 am

Penberthy wrote:What would need to happen for us to be able to sign Randle, LBJ and PG

Not a capologist but my guess is that we'd have to trade for a re-signed PG. Ingram or Kuzma out in all likelihood. I don't think there is a path to a $20M+ deal for Randle that leaves us enough to sign PG and Bron unless someone is taking a lot less.

My biggest issues with this is the fit of the pieces. Randle isn't a Center for more than a few minutes a game and Bron isn't a SF. Ingram, Kuzma, Randle PG, Bron, Ball and a Center.... which 2 are on the bench? We need a defensive center who can rebound with that group and to me, Randle is the one that has the least versatility of that group so a sign and trade of him for that center might be a way to get balance and some value back if we're going to lose him anyway.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#169 » by stan francisco » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:48 am

With our switch everything defense, having interchangeable size defenders is a powerful weapon.

Ball, Hart, Ingram, James, Randle, Kuzma, Wear all fit that philosophy. Build around the coach's vision. Even Lopez fits in based on recent play, I agree.
MelosSoreWrist
Analyst
And1: 1,565

Post#170 » by MelosSoreWrist » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:20 pm

Landsberger wrote:
Penberthy wrote:What would need to happen for us to be able to sign Randle, LBJ and PG

Not a capologist but my guess is that we'd have to trade for a re-signed PG. Ingram or Kuzma out in all likelihood. I don't think there is a path to a $20M+ deal for Randle that leaves us enough to sign PG and Bron unless someone is taking a lot less.

My biggest issues with this is the fit of the pieces. Randle isn't a Center for more than a few minutes a game and Bron isn't a SF. Ingram, Kuzma, Randle PG, Bron, Ball and a Center.... which 2 are on the bench? We need a defensive center who can rebound with that group and to me, Randle is the one that has the least versatility of that group so a sign and trade of him for that center might be a way to get balance and some value back if we're going to lose him anyway.

Trading Deng and Ball without taking back contracts. I dont know how many teams can absorb 25 mil dollars into their capspace and if they would take Dengs q18 +18 for the next two years to get Ball, but if that happens I think LBJ, PG13 and Randle is doable.

What might be an option is signing PG13 and resigning Randle and play out next season then if need be pivot to adding Kawhi or Klay. With the assets remaining and Deng on an expiring, reopening up space might be easier.
NYK 455 wrote:
greenhughes wrote:I hope Melo leaves and wins a championship and rubs it all in our face.

How does that make you better than the Lin, Gallo, and Wil fans who root for them over NY?
larry14r
Bench Warmer

Post#171 » by larry14r » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:25 pm

MelosSoreWrist wrote:
Landsberger wrote:

Trading Deng and Ball without taking back contracts. I dont know how many teams can absorb 25 mil dollars into their capspace and if they would take Dengs q18 +18 for the next two years to get Ball, but if that happens I think LBJ, PG13 and Randle is doable.

What might be an option is signing PG13 and resigning Randle and play out next season then if need be pivot to adding Kawhi or Klay. With the assets remaining and Deng on an expiring, reopening up space might be easier.

The Lakers are not using Ball, Ingram, and Kuzuma to get rid of Deng.
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,637

Post#172 » by danfantastk32 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:41 am

We will have $34mil on our books at the start of next season. If we resign Randle for $20mil, then we are up to $54mil. Depending on what the cap is....we will have approx $50mil to spend after that.

If we were to stretch Deng....his $18 mil for 2 years (36ish) turns into about $7 for 5 years. So now we are looking at about $60mil to spend. You can also use some of your mid-level towards stars, and there are little tricks here and there. So we could prob spend about $63-65mil. <------would PG and Lebron be willing to take a $3-ish mil cut from the Max to make it all happen? They are gonna need to.

If we're able to get Randle for $16-17 mil....and maybe trade Hart, you'd essentially have your max.

The other option is to pair Kuzma, and our Cle-pick with deng.....now we have practically $80-85mil to spend. In that case, go to town
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#173 » by stan francisco » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:31 pm

Okay, since my eye test is in the eye of the beholder, let's instead look up some cold hard stats to see if there's any validity in the argument that he should be prioritized over Paul George this summer.

March 1st to 27th stats for Julius

22.8 PPG
9.8 RPG
57.4 FG%
2.6 AST
2.6 TO
0.7 STL
7 DD2 (dbl dbl)

Amongst the top 50 best FG% shooters league wide, Julius is the only one player in the league(!) who is also a volume scorer. He's the only player to score more than 19 points. And that is BI who is listed as 50th in FG%. After that is Gobert at 17.7 PPG, then DAJ at 15.1 PPG. I value FG% greatly. Shot selection is key to winning rings. So is rebounding and defense and low post bullying in the half court set (playoffs). Check, check, check, check. His T/Os are offset by his FG%.

He's tied for 7th in double doubles with AD, RW, KAT, DH etc.

Paul George scores 18.0 PPG in March and is the NBA's 351st best player by FG%. Shoots 27.7% from three. Wtf happened?
https://on.nba.com/2GbEINV

In March, Julius is the NBA's 16th best rebounder tied with LBJ. He's also the 14th best scorer in the league, ahead of McCollum, Griffin, DeRozan, Embiid, Oladipo, CP3, Bradley Beal and many more.

March stats for PG13: https://on.nba.com/2I79UKG

Look, I'm not all sold on Julius, don't think any team should pay more than $18-20M for him at this juncture. He has his flaws. But if he adds a 3pt shot to his game this summer. We'll all want him back here long before we'll want PG13.

And so will LBJ.

Again, I don't think PG13 is a condition for LBJ coming here. Not at all. And PG will want a max contract. We have $70M to spend. Julius should be retained before PG13.

LBJ, Julius, Lopez. That would be a great offseason if you ask me.

I don't dig LBJ's vibe all the way, not sure I want his drama here but you can bet your rear that Magic and Pelinka will do all in their power to get him here.
PKABOOICU
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,128

Post#174 » by PKABOOICU » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:50 pm

Randle is not a max player. He's gotten better, but you can't put the ball in his hands and expect him to take over a game and get wins for us. Thats what max players do.
Any team offering him the max is putting themselves back a few years.
That said, I dont think Randle will be back next year.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#175 » by stan francisco » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:14 pm

PKABOOICU wrote:Randle is not a max player. He's gotten better, but you can't put the ball in his hands and expect him to take over a game and get wins for us. Thats what max players do.

I think the pain threshold for me goes around $15-17 per year for Randle. I'd do that. Anything above that, I'll have to think hard.

On the other hand, how many 23/10 PF/Small Cs out there are attainable for that kind of money?

I think somebody will probably offer him too much and he'll be gone. I'd like to see him stay for around $16M per year, keep the band together.
larry14r
Bench Warmer

Post#176 » by larry14r » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:13 pm

PKABOOICU wrote:Randle is not a max player. He's gotten better, but you can't put the ball in his hands and expect him to take over a game and get wins for us. Thats what max players do.

Then the Lakers should had gotten something for Randle when they had the chance. Stupid Lakers for letting players walk for nothing.
MelosSoreWrist
Analyst

Post#177 » by MelosSoreWrist » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:50 pm

larry14r wrote:

Then the Lakers should had gotten something for Randle when they had the chance. Stupid Lakers for letting players walk for nothing.

Resigning Randle can still be a primary option or an offseason insurance policy. Not trading him and holding options was still the prudent move at that juncture, imo.
NYK 455 wrote:
greenhughes wrote:I hope Melo leaves and wins a championship and rubs it all in our face.

How does that make you better than the Lin, Gallo, and Wil fans who root for them over NY?
MelosSoreWrist
Analyst

Post#178 » by MelosSoreWrist » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:53 pm

larry14r wrote:
MelosSoreWrist wrote:
Landsberger wrote:

The Lakers are not using Ball, Ingram, and Kuzuma to get rid of Deng.

I wonder how much voice or control LBJ would want to sign in LAL... and how willing Magic/Pelinka would be give it up to get him.

I dont think any other free agent would hold those type of powers.
NYK 455 wrote:

LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,190

Post#179 » by LAKESHOW » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:17 pm

He has earned his spot on the team. He played his way to a contract. The problem I think Maglinka will deal with? We don't want to outbid ourselves.
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
TheHartBreakKid
General Manager
And1: 4,316

Post#180 » by TheHartBreakKid » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:46 pm

The more and more I think about it, I think we are going to keep Randle one way or another.

It's really simple to me....he's shown way too much for the FO to be ok with losing him, and there is no indication to show that he doesn't want to be here. The motive to keep him is there, all that's left is making sure we have the ability to keep him.

The most important thing is communication, and the fact that PG and Randle's agent is the same person really helps us out in that department. Paul George has no incentive to sign a full deal with the Lakers as the next offseason he is elgible for the 10year plus max. As a result, I can easily see him taking a 1+1 deal while resigning again next year. Just like Durant did in his two 1+1 deals, I also don't think he'll mind taking a slight pay cut if he has too, if it means keeping Randle, as he would only be taking a paycut for one year, not for four. I think we'll be in communication with Mintz and make sure that we retain Randle's right, while recieving cooperation in regards to timing, if we have to say, wait for Lebron James to make a decision.

Realistically though, I think we are going to look alot like this year with a resigned Lopez and Randle, and with PG replacing essentially replacing KCP.

Lebron goes to Houston or Philly (or stays if they somehow win this year).

Return to Los Angeles Lakers