No
26%

Total votes: 116

G-Ant
Freshman
And1: 16

PG13 resigns with Thunder 

Post#1 » by G-Ant » Mon May 7, 2018 7:07 am

So what's the deal with PG13, he has had an underachieving season in OKC, barely qualifying for POs and then going out in first round. His shot has been an issue almost all season long and his attitude has also been pretty disappointing.

Do we still go all-in on PG13? I understand he wasn't entirely happy in Indiana anymore and playing alongside WB isn't really easy (we can see what went on with Oladipo). So we could expect him to bounce back in a new fresh scenario and be the alpha dog our team needs. Plus he may very well attract other FAs such as LeBron.

But my main issue is that comitting to PG13 probably sends Kuzma to the bench and if we potentially sign LeBron then that leaves us with no money for Randle (or we end up giving assets to send Deng away). Is PG13 worth all of this? I would prefer to sign another FA such as LeBron if that means we can roll with Kuzma and Randle, but it's also true that Paul George is a solidified all star that makes our team much more appealing in reeling other big fishes.
KobeBryant24
Veteran
And1: 2,167

Re: Do we still offer PG13 max money? 

Post#2 » by KobeBryant24 » Mon May 7, 2018 7:29 am

Yes elite defender and shoots the 3 with a high percentage , he will be great in our system.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#3 » by Slava » Mon May 7, 2018 7:47 am

Everyone underachieves in OKC next to Westbrook, George will be fine in a decent offensive system with ball movement so he can pick his spots on offense. On defense, he is a higher caliber version of KCP. Even if he doesn't work out, he'll retain his trade value and we can pick up some nice picks in return a year later.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,335

Post#4 » by Dr Aki » Mon May 7, 2018 8:01 am

Taking out the game 6 stinker, dude was averaging 28 points on 45% and 40% from 3pt

Of course we throw the max at him
Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,513

Post#5 » by Michael Lucky » Mon May 7, 2018 8:31 am

I wouldn't but the front office is without a doubt going to be throwing max money at him.

Dr Aki wrote:Taking out the game 6 stinker, dude was averaging 28 points on 45% and 40% from 3pt

Stinkers are unusually common from him though. He looks like a potential top 5 player one game and an end of the bench player the next.
SlimShady83
General Manager
And1: 1,180

Post#6 » by SlimShady83 » Mon May 7, 2018 12:03 pm

Randle
Kuz
Ingram
George
Ball

Me likey :)
Bring back Defense
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,637

Post#7 » by danfantastk32 » Mon May 7, 2018 12:29 pm

Michael Lucky wrote:I wouldn't but the front office is without a doubt going to be throwing max money at him.

I think this pretty much sums it up. The Lakers have to do something. He has from all indications, been trying to get to LA for a couple years. It's gonna happen, and he's gonna get the max. I do think he will fit in the system well. I think he will be really good for us, and I think there is truth to concept that OKC was not good for him.

But max? I just think he's a tier below the Durant's, the Curry's, Lebron, A-Davis, Harden, etc. Like a solid tier below them. He's in the Kyle Lowry, Aldridge, Boogie Cousins, Klay Thompson - Level. <-------Not the top 15 guys....but the top 15-25 guys.

Those guys will typically get the max. I would be much happier about PG, if he were the 2nd best guy. I don't see PG being the stud-bull on a championship team....just don't. He's a Robin, IMO.
mcscotty
Rookie
And1: 486

6RH9YF7951E8 

Post#8 » by mcscotty » Mon May 7, 2018 12:50 pm

If I thought Kawhi would come back the same player and we had a chance at him, I'd pass. But without any assurances, I'm all in on PG13.
TylersLakers
RealGM
And1: 2,811

Post#9 » by TylersLakers » Mon May 7, 2018 1:51 pm

This is a ridiculous question.

Beggars can't be choosers.

We've tampered for the last year and a half. We're not going to stop now.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,674

Post#10 » by dockingsched » Mon May 7, 2018 2:40 pm

Yes. Paul George is a star player who has the skills that allow him to also integrate himself in a way that compliments those around him. His style doesn’t demand that those around him adjust their games.

The cap space window is going to close very soon, the young guys aren’t staying on rookie deals forever. Randle is due and extension this summer and Brandon Ingram is will be eligible for one next summer. Wait too long and you’re stuck using up your cap on rookie extensions or high risks players like Cousins.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
Joe Kleazy
Sixth Man
And1: 95

Post#11 » by Joe Kleazy » Mon May 7, 2018 2:57 pm

The team needs to continue progressing, and adding PG is that next step. The market has dictated the cost and we've put ourselves in position to build upon what we have in place. If we want to be technical about max contract players, there's only four that TRULY fit that category...(Bron, KD, Steph & AD). Why bother with worrying about PG's market value when it's been debated over and over why he's the target? As much as fans have become smarter with access to the behind the scene details of contract negotiations, it's also brought about some entitlement over decisions of our team's payroll. We all understand bad deals, but this is what players are being paid nowadays and unless you have one of the top 4, you'll be maxing out the next tier down....if your lucky enough to be fielding a competitive team.
Trips71
Sophomore
And1: 82

Post#12 » by Trips71 » Mon May 7, 2018 3:13 pm

Yes, PG is a great player and gives us the opportunity to potentially sign other star free agents. In today's NBA, stars want to play with other stars. We need the first piece now.
One Love
Starter
And1: 290

Post#13 » by One Love » Mon May 7, 2018 5:05 pm

We waited a year & paid $500 K in fines to be able to sign PG without giving up assets... Dude will fit into our offense and defensive schemes perfectly... He is long, unselfish, plays defense. can score & is in his prime... He is the ideal target for us right now...

Lakeshow Baby...
milesfides
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,449

Post#14 » by milesfides » Mon May 7, 2018 7:04 pm

No brainer. Paul George is the safest bet we can make. He’s proven, he’s affordable, and he’ll have his best years in his next contract. He just turned 28 a few days ago, with low mileage since he sat out an entire year with that freak injury broken leg. Was and has been durable outside of that.

Skill wise, he is the prototypical modern wing. Elite shooting and elite defense. We were the worst 3pt shooting team. George would single-handedly make us middle-of-the-pack. Staggering, wide-ranging impact that translates into wins.

His versatility can allow him to play 3 positions. On D, he’s quick on his feet but he’s 6-8” - he can switch, so he elevates our team defense.

He’s got upside too - never played next a low usage pass first point guard like Lonzo. George’s usage obviously took a dip next to Westbrook.

Also important is the financial impact: he’s a reg max, starting at 30m. Not a supermax, which matters, since we will be getting his best years at a reasonable amount.

If we get Kawhi or Ingram improves, Lonzo-Ingram-George can constitute a formidable defense. We just have to get Kuzma to commit, and get a true defensive center, then we’d have a complete roster. George gets us pretty far though.
“OH! Caruso parachutes in! You cannot stop him - you can only hope to contain him!” -Kevin Harlan, LAL-GSW 4/4/19
Ball so hard
Sixth Man
And1: 677

Post#15 » by Ball so hard » Mon May 7, 2018 7:53 pm

Easily yes. We don't have the type of team that would justify a star player coming for less than they're worth. I'd rather spend the max on PG than spread the max between two mediocre players such as KCP and IT.
NBAWestFan
Bench Warmer
And1: 122

Post#16 » by NBAWestFan » Mon May 7, 2018 7:54 pm

danfantastk32 wrote:
Michael Lucky wrote:I wouldn't but the front office is without a doubt going to be throwing max money at him.

I think this pretty much sums it up. The Lakers have to do something. He has from all indications, been trying to get to LA for a couple years. It's gonna happen, and he's gonna get the max. I do think he will fit in the system well. I think he will be really good for us, and I think there is truth to concept that OKC was not good for him.

But max? I just think he's a tier below the Durant's, the Curry's, Lebron, A-Davis, Harden, etc. Like a solid tier below them. He's in the Kyle Lowry, Aldridge, Boogie Cousins, Klay Thompson - Level. <-------Not the top 15 guys....but the top 15-25 guys.

Those guys will typically get the max. I would be much happier about PG, if he were the 2nd best guy. I don't see PG being the stud-bull on a championship team....just don't. He's a Robin, IMO.

I agree with this he is a near max guy but is older.
I'd give him 85% to 90% of the max since he is not a top 15 player but more in the 15 to 25 as mentioned.

85% of 90% is alot of $$$ still close to 200 mil People can only dream of making that in ten to 20 lifetimes or more.

It would be great if he can come in like Durant a new guy who is a Vet and shows he is about the team and not about his ego and leaving some on the table will give the team more flexibility to sign the Randles and other players to help compete for a title as well as sign some of the young guys down the road. Even a two year deal with a option is fine with me.
Ball so hard
Sixth Man

Post#17 » by Ball so hard » Mon May 7, 2018 7:58 pm

Dr Aki wrote:Taking out the game 6 stinker, dude was averaging 28 points on 45% and 40% from 3pt

Stinkers are unusually common from him though. He looks like a potential top 5 player one game and an end of the bench player the next.

This is gross exaggeration. End of bench player's game resemble those of Caruso, Wear, Bryant, etc.
Ball so hard
Sixth Man

Post#18 » by Ball so hard » Mon May 7, 2018 8:07 pm

Joe Kleazy wrote:The team needs to continue progressing, and adding PG is that next step. The market has dictated the cost and we've put ourselves in position to build upon what we have in place. If we want to be technical about max contract players, there's only four that TRULY fit that category...(Bron, KD, Steph & AD). Why bother with worrying about PG's market value when it's been debated over and over why he's the target? As much as fans have become smarter with access to the behind the scene details of contract negotiations, it's also brought about some entitlement over decisions of our team's payroll. We all understand bad deals, but this is what players are being paid nowadays and unless you have one of the top 4, you'll be maxing out the next tier down....if your lucky enough to be fielding a competitive team.

Solid post, agree with everything you said. I don't understand why people compare players from different FA period with different circumstances. I didn't think Wiggins deserved the contract he recently received; however, he probably received market rate or very close to it. If the Wolves didn't pay him, somebody else would.
BBBKobe
Junior
And1: 148

Post#19 » by BBBKobe » Mon May 7, 2018 8:13 pm

His max is 30.3 million dollars this summer. I'd like to start the offer around 25 million. Perhaps he's willing to take less to attract other stars, maybe even Randle since they share the same agent.

Am I willing to offer him a multi year max deal? Yes. There's not that many players I'd give it to at this point. Well.. maybe 25-30 but you know what I mean.
thankyouKOBE
Sophomore
And1: 22

Post#20 » by thankyouKOBE » Tue May 8, 2018 2:23 am

Most definitely. He can still have THOSE kind of games where you're like "damn, I see you, PG."

It's time for this team to get over the hump. This drought has lasted long enough.

Not saying PG is the answer, but he'll definitely be the bridge toward the future of Lakers being the Lakers again.

"People just don't understand how obsessed I am with winning."-Kobe Bryant

Return to Los Angeles Lakers