ImageImageImageImageImage

Mitchell Robinson promised at 25?

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

PKABOOICU
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,128

Re: Mitchell Robinson promised at 25? 

Post#21 » by PKABOOICU » Mon May 21, 2018 10:11 am

I wouldnt be surprised if the Lakers promised him at #25, and maybe we could even trade up to try and land a defensive big man with a long wing span who can block shots and catch lobs, while being respectable from the FT line. We lack a center the most right now.
zuju
Senior
And1: 120

Re: Mitchell Robinson 

Post#22 » by zuju » Mon May 21, 2018 2:34 pm

Spens1 wrote:
zuju wrote:
Spens1 wrote:
Difference is we have Zubac and Bryant from 2 consecutive years. Clearly if we've got bigger fish to fry than drafting centre year after year, we need depth at both guard positions as well as S.F. more than we need another project centre.

Not meaning robinson is surely an all star in the making, but you dont pass up players which you think is talented. For instance, you don't pass up jokic because you hace nurkic. Will you pass up drafting shaq becoause you have dwight ?

Also, I think if paul george comes on board, ingram may play the 2 spot primarily

True but nothing here indicates Robinson is nearly that level, what exactly are we going on to indicate what he actually is other than some highlight reels, we don't know his actual in game play at a competitive level.

Indeed. So I have the trust in the lakers scouting department. And I am still skeptical on the promise thing unless they have a secret work out. If somehow the lakers sees talent in him, draft him. I should admit that I like risk taking on these "high potential high reward" players

My ideal scenario : Retain brook for 3 more year, develop the new drafted center and allow competition with zubac. When brook leave us after 3 years, we have a developed center to take up the job.

Big men emerge, we have to get some quality bigs as well. We definitely have to plan it right now.
myersia
Analyst
And1: 788

Mitchell Robinson promised at 25? 

Post#23 » by myersia » Mon May 21, 2018 5:06 pm

Does anyone think trae young will be better than Lonzo? I have a feeling he may be the steal of the draft. He reminds me of young steph. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
kimbobrand28
Senior
And1: 47

Post#24 » by kimbobrand28 » Mon May 21, 2018 6:20 pm

myersia wrote:Does anyone think trae young will be better than Lonzo? I have a feeling he may be the steal of the draft. He reminds me of young steph. Thoughts?

Tbh, I see more jimmer up to a quality starter, but he does have potential to be good if he works more on his overall game.
The guy I see could be a steal is MPJ
TKainZero
Head Coach
And1: 3,275

Post#25 » by TKainZero » Mon May 21, 2018 6:26 pm

Zubac and Thomas bryant didn’t show anything last season

Lakers desperately need a defensive big man
USA Celtics in full effect. Amazing chemistry building experience right there for the main core of the team

Proceeds to finish 7th and shames the entire nation!
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#26 » by Spens1 » Mon May 21, 2018 11:01 pm

myersia wrote:Does anyone think trae young will be better than Lonzo? I have a feeling he may be the steal of the draft. He reminds me of young steph. Thoughts?

I think his ceiling is actual superstar and HOF, his floor though is Jimmer which is a concern. I don't think he'd be playing his best ball here, he's better off in Orlando where he can play through mistakes.
PKABOOICU
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,128

Post#27 » by PKABOOICU » Tue May 22, 2018 1:09 am

I think he's gonna be the steal of the draft too, but Mo Bamba might make some noise and has the capability to make an impact right away.
Slink
Bench Warmer
And1: 965

Post#28 » by Slink » Tue May 22, 2018 4:05 am

I think drafting Robinson is just in case the Lakers lose Julius or Brook.
TylersLakers
RealGM
And1: 2,811

Post#29 » by TylersLakers » Tue May 22, 2018 5:00 am

I have a really hard time believing the Lakers would offer a promise, especially considering all of the trade talks that will be had over the next month.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#30 » by Slava » Tue May 22, 2018 7:29 am

Trae Young is 6'2 with a 6'3 wingspan and 175lbs soaking wet, he has to be the second coming of Steph Curry to make up for what he's going to be giving up defensively on a game to game basis. For his sake I hope he gets drafted to the east because the PGs out west would suck the life out of him in half a season.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#31 » by Spens1 » Tue May 22, 2018 9:07 am

Also promises from us just seem weird. He really doesn't seem like the type of prospect that we'd go for at all.

Last year we went for Kuzma at the end of the round (and we reached hard for him) as well as Josh Hart (slight reach also). Both also are slightly older and have experience.

Robinson has absolutely no college or european experience at all.

I see us going for prospects like Khyri Thomas, Keita Bates Diop, Chandler Hutchinson, Melvin Frazier, Jacob Evans, Gary Clark, Jalen Brunson, Shake Milton or Landry Shamet with our two picks.

I mean i know we drafted Zubac and Bryant but it seems really out of place with what we're going for, also i doubt we'd tell someone not to work out unless he did a private workout and he REALLY impressed and they're worried that he'll go a lot higher if he works out for anyone else.
TheGOATWill
Analyst
And1: 3,810

Post#32 » by TheGOATWill » Tue May 22, 2018 12:24 pm

Sounds unlikely. Taking a center that didn't play last year to help compete with GS and HOU seems weird. I like one of the Villanova guards at 25 especially Donte DiVicenzo.
TylersLakers
RealGM
And1: 2,811

Post#33 » by TylersLakers » Tue May 22, 2018 6:02 pm

One thing that's also very weird about this "promise" is that in that case, the Lakers would essentially give up their ability to make a trade regarding that 1st round pick. What if a Kawhi trade or a Deng trade comes up involving that 1st rounder? We say no because we made a promise to Mitchell Robinson and his agent?

Very strange.
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 5,390

Post#34 » by Danny Darko » Tue May 22, 2018 10:57 pm

Read on Twitter
MachoMan
Junior
And1: 176

Post#35 » by MachoMan » Wed May 23, 2018 12:52 pm

Robinson has as much raw talent and tools as any big in the draft. If the Lakers think there is even a decent chance he reaches his potential, would be well worth the #25th pick if he is on the board.
"I'm the tower of power, too sweet to be sour. I'm funky like a monkey. Sky's the limit and space is the place!" - Randy Savage
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,335

Post#36 » by Dr Aki » Wed May 23, 2018 12:53 pm

MachoMan wrote:Robinson has as much raw talent and tools as any big in the draft. If the Lakers think there is even a decent chance he reaches his potential, would be well worth the #25th pick if he is on the board.

i see him as a potential bynum 2.0

how are those knees of his?
Ball so hard
Sixth Man
And1: 677

Re: Mitchell Robinson 

Post#37 » by Ball so hard » Wed May 23, 2018 1:27 pm

Spens1 wrote:
dockingsched wrote:
Spens1 wrote:Another centre. Like how many centre's do we need, we have 2 young ones already and Robinson isn't any better.

Lakers don’t have a single center on the roster that has demonstrated themselves as close to a being a long term piece.

But we're drafting another centre, this would be third year in a row we've drafted a centre in the 20's-30's. Also Zubac on his first season alone is probably at least worth trusting a little bit.

Besides Robinson hasn't shown a single reason why we ought to draft him.

Zubac is not a good prospect at this point. Bryant is still largely unknown. Given both Zubac and Bryant's contracts are non-guaranteed for next season, I would not be surprised if either is cut before the start of next season.
MachoMan
Junior
And1: 176

Post#38 » by MachoMan » Wed May 23, 2018 7:22 pm

Dr Aki wrote:
MachoMan wrote:Robinson has as much raw talent and tools as any big in the draft. If the Lakers think there is even a decent chance he reaches his potential, would be well worth the #25th pick if he is on the board.

i see him as a potential bynum 2.0

how are those knees of his?

I am not aware of any real knee issues with Robinson.
"I'm the tower of power, too sweet to be sour. I'm funky like a monkey. Sky's the limit and space is the place!" - Randy Savage
TheHartBreakKid
General Manager
And1: 4,316

Post#39 » by TheHartBreakKid » Wed May 23, 2018 8:35 pm

HonestlY, our scouting department has earned the benefit of the doubt when it comes to picks in that range. Realistically he seems like someone who would be taken earlier than our pick, but if he’s there and we end up with him, I can’t think of a better way to use this pick other than maybe to get rid of deng. The FO needs to prove themselves when it comes to free agency and trades, but again they’ve earned The benefit of the doubt when it comes to drafting.
TKainZero
Head Coach
And1: 3,275

Post#40 » by TKainZero » Wed May 23, 2018 9:47 pm

This remind me of the Robert upshaw episode from a few years back...

All the talent, huge risk...
USA Celtics in full effect. Amazing chemistry building experience right there for the main core of the team

Proceeds to finish 7th and shames the entire nation!

Return to Los Angeles Lakers