ImageImageImageImageImage

The Leonard Thread. Official: Traded to the raptors.

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

iamworthy
RealGM
And1: 8,909

Re: The Leonard Thread. 

Post#181 » by iamworthy » Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:52 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#182 » by Kilroy » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:17 pm

iamworthy wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Suns would be stupid to trade #1 for a rental, so it sounds like they're 'probing' to see if they're on his 'list.'

And if they are, they'd be even more stupid to trade #1...

So this is a red-herring IMO...
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
iamworthy
RealGM

Post#183 » by iamworthy » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:13 pm

Kilroy wrote:
iamworthy wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Suns would be stupid to trade #1 for a rental, so it sounds like they're 'probing' to see if they're on his 'list.'

It would be stupid for them not to probe. Their GM is doing what he's suppose to do. If Kawhi shows interest they've got something. If he doesn't, move on.
Vae Victus
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,838

Post#184 » by Vae Victus » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:13 pm

As I have noted before, the best thing the Lakers can do for a Kawhi chase is to purge Deng for pure cap to first outright sign LBJ/PG13 and THEN trade for Kawhi. We simply need to put ourselves in the absolute best position possible and just put Ingram + S&T Randle on the table and wait. ****, throw in a far future pick and/or pick swap too. Just do whatever it takes for us to keep Kuzma and Lonzo.

If Pop wants to be a complete punk and trade him somewhere else for a crap package, thats fine. We resign Randle to a reasonable deal and Kawhi will dutifully play out his year and then we just have a nice Ingram + Randle + salary filler package ready for a S&T Kawhi who's demanding to goto LA and his current team either gets SOMETHING (Ingram aint no bad consolation prize) or NOTHING.
Gus McCrae
General Manager
And1: 2,004

Post#185 » by Gus McCrae » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:23 pm

If the cap is 105MM what does it look like with all 3?

Lebron 35MM
Kawhi 35MM
George 35MM
Ball 7MM

Rest of roster all minimum for like 9MM... assuming Ingram/Kuz/Deng/Hart gone so how do we go over the cap and what are the max terms for our “big 3”?
kblo247
RealGM
And1: 2,130

Post#186 » by kblo247 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:24 pm

Landsberger wrote:
MelosSoreWrist wrote:LBJ, George and Kawhi puts the Lakers in title territory the next 3 years.

This is the thought but I would say that there are numerous examples of 3 top stars on a team failing miserably. OKC drafted Durant, Westbrook and Harden..... all in the MVP conversation yearly.... yet won nothing. NY in the late 90's through the early 2000's gathered many stars and failed every time. OKC put Melo, Westbrook and PG together and got what?

Getting those guys isn't a sure thing. It could be much better than what we have now or not.

My biggest concern in getting a team laden with veteran stars will be the coach. Not sure Luke is the guy for that.
Lebron has won 3 times before and Leonard did once. They can teach George how to win and this other core pieces how to win.

The fact is Pau came to Kobe to learn how to win so he wasn’t 0-12 in the playoffs anymore. Lebron and Bosh both went to wade to learn how to win. KD went to Curry to learn how to win. At this stage George would be learning from two guys who have won before and the core whoever is with them wil also learn how to play their roles.

There will be no team meetings about feelings, what i think my role should be, hear my voice, etc. because Lebron ain’t hearing that bull ****. He will put their ass in a role as he’s do done even all star guys. Leonard has won and he’s not hearing excuses about half ass D. George wants to win and won’t let anyone else cross the pecking order.

It is time to get actual talent, who can actually teach guys how to win, and check egos because potential means nothing without results
larry14r
Bench Warmer
And1: 131

Post#187 » by larry14r » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:48 pm

Indy2LA wrote:
TyCobb wrote:Hell nah. He can wait till 2019. Not moving Ingram or Zo.

You wouldn't trade Lonzo Ball for Kawhi Leonard? :crazy:

Why bother because the Spurs don't want him either.
tviper
Sixth Man
And1: 260

Post#188 » by tviper » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:53 pm

Gus McCrae wrote:If the cap is 105MM what does it look like with all 3?

Lebron 35MM
Kawhi 35MM
George 35MM
Ball 7MM

Rest of roster all minimum for like 9MM... assuming Ingram/Kuz/Deng/Hart gone so how do we go over the cap and what are the max terms for our “big 3”?

I posted the numbers at the bottom of page 8.
tviper
Sixth Man
And1: 260

Post#189 » by tviper » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:04 pm

Vae Victus wrote:As I have noted before, the best thing the Lakers can do for a Kawhi chase is to purge Deng for pure cap to first outright sign LBJ/PG13 and THEN trade for Kawhi. We simply need to put ourselves in the absolute best position possible and just put Ingram + S&T Randle on the table and wait. ****, throw in a far future pick and/or pick swap too. Just do whatever it takes for us to keep Kuzma and Lonzo.

If Pop wants to be a complete punk and trade him somewhere else for a crap package, thats fine. We resign Randle to a reasonable deal and Kawhi will dutifully play out his year and then we just have a nice Ingram + Randle + salary filler package ready for a S&T Kawhi who's demanding to goto LA and his current team either gets SOMETHING (Ingram aint no bad consolation prize) or NOTHING.

Signing LBJ and PG13 first will require too much cap room to then sign for Kawhi, unless LAL sends them everyone. Has to be the other way around so you can use Randall in a S&T. If you don't have either Randall or Deng to match salaries, you can't get to the required number which is 15,099,189.
Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,513

Post#190 » by Michael Lucky » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:37 pm

iamworthy wrote:
Kilroy wrote:
iamworthy wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

It would be stupid for them not to probe. Their GM is doing what he's suppose to do. If Kawhi shows interest they've got something. If he doesn't, move on.
even if he was interested, you would not trade the number 1 pick that is cost controlled for the next 4 years for someone coming off an injury and who could still leave at the end of the year if the fit isn't good.
AmusingFiddle
Rookie
And1: 315

Post#191 » by AmusingFiddle » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:37 pm

I believe it’s going to be Deng, one of Ingram/Kuz and Zo, 25th pick and future first for Kawhi and a filler.
A little steep but SAS may not accept anything less. Is it worth giving up on youth? I am having second thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
RamonSessions7
RealGM
And1: 4,036

Post#192 » by RamonSessions7 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:42 pm

AmusingFiddle wrote:I believe it’s going to be Deng, one of Ingram/Kuz and Zo, 25th pick and future first for Kawhi and a filler.
A little steep but SAS may not accept anything less. Is it worth giving up on youth? I am having second thoughts.

I would live with this if we keep lonzo (Ingram&Kuzma). It would be my ceiling for a Kawhi offer.
iamworthy
RealGM

Post#193 » by iamworthy » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:43 pm

Michael Lucky wrote:
iamworthy wrote:
Kilroy wrote:

even if he was interested, you would not trade the number 1 pick that is cost controlled for the next 4 years for someone coming off an injury and who could still leave at the end of the year if the fit isn't good.

You would for a top 5 player. By interested I mean he's told them that he's willing to resign and if you're the sun's you jump on it because when was the last time they had a to 5 player in the league. They're in no position to be picky. when you've sucked for like a decade I think you jump to get a top tie player.
BBBKobe
Junior
And1: 148

Post#194 » by BBBKobe » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:45 pm

Like I noted earlier, I think we should all calm down about this actually happening. It's the same exact thing (and timing) that PG did last summer saying he's Laker bound.

We still don't know about his injury and the fact we could be losing assets for someone who is injured is scary. At the minimum, I'd consider a Zo + Deng + 2019 Protected for Kawhi.
digcom99
Sophomore
And1: 70

Post#195 » by digcom99 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:24 pm

AmusingFiddle wrote:I believe it’s going to be Deng, one of Ingram/Kuz and Zo, 25th pick and future first for Kawhi and a filler.

Your deal is a pipe dream. Our young core isn't as attractive to other teams as Laker fans think they are. And there is no way the Spurs take on Deng's contract...period. It would take at least two of Ball/Ingram/Kuz plus the #25 and NO DENG before Popovich even considers any trade to the hated Lakers. There are too many other teams who can offer better packages. Unless Kawhi says he won't re-sign with any team other than the Lakers, I don't see him coming here.
No name
Junior
And1: 117

Post#196 » by No name » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:07 pm

iamworthy wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Expected.
No source.
Leaked and fake.
Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,969

Post#197 » by Landsberger » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:13 pm

kblo247 wrote:
Landsberger wrote:
MelosSoreWrist wrote:LBJ, George and Kawhi puts the Lakers in title territory the next 3 years.

This is the thought but I would say that there are numerous examples of 3 top stars on a team failing miserably. OKC drafted Durant, Westbrook and Harden..... all in the MVP conversation yearly.... yet won nothing. NY in the late 90's through the early 2000's gathered many stars and failed every time. OKC put Melo, Westbrook and PG together and got what?

Getting those guys isn't a sure thing. It could be much better than what we have now or not.

My biggest concern in getting a team laden with veteran stars will be the coach. Not sure Luke is the guy for that.
Lebron has won 3 times before and Leonard did once. They can teach George how to win and this other core pieces how to win.

The fact is Pau came to Kobe to learn how to win so he wasn’t 0-12 in the playoffs anymore. Lebron and Bosh both went to wade to learn how to win. KD went to Curry to learn how to win. At this stage George would be learning from two guys who have won before and the core whoever is with them wil also learn how to play their roles.

There will be no team meetings about feelings, what i think my role should be, hear my voice, etc. because Lebron ain’t hearing that bull ****. He will put their ass in a role as he’s do done even all star guys. Leonard has won and he’s not hearing excuses about half ass D. George wants to win and won’t let anyone else cross the pecking order.

It is time to get actual talent, who can actually teach guys how to win, and check egos because potential means nothing without results

Depends on the "talent"..... Howard couldn't be "taught".... Melo can't be "taught" either. Chris Paul has failed again and again too. Bron and Leonard I'm all for. Before I added PG I'd make sure we had a defensive center however.

Anyway, it's all conjecture at this point. My guess is that there is some fire here but most of the smoke is because if you drop the Lakers as a potential destination you seem to get the most attention and typically a better deal. I'm still in the "I'll believe it when I see it" mode on this one. Too many times teams/agents/players have used the "want to go to LA" line to get more.
Pythagoras
Analyst
And1: 3,282

Post#198 » by Pythagoras » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:13 pm

digcom99 wrote:

Your deal is a pipe dream. Our young core isn't as attractive to other teams as Laker fans think they are. And there is no way the Spurs take on Deng's contract...period. It would take at least two of Ball/Ingram/Kuz plus the #25 and NO DENG before Popovich even considers any trade to the hated Lakers. There are too many other teams who can offer better packages. Unless Kawhi says he won't re-sign with any team other than the Lakers, I don't see him coming here.

I agree and disagree. I agree there’s no way we get out of Deng in this deal. That said, I do think we can put together a fairly attractive package. The Spurs apparently don’t want Zo, so the deal would seem to be Ingram, Kuzma, and a couple of future firsts. It’s a steep price to pay, but I think the Spurs would be hard pressed to do better.

I think the only real competition would be the Sixers and the Celtics. Unless the Sixers are putting Simmons or Embiid out there, I don’t think they can beat that. The Cs could beat that, but I don’t know that they would even consider it worth their time to try.
Numbers rule the universe.
AmusingFiddle
Rookie
And1: 315

Post#199 » by AmusingFiddle » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:01 pm

Other teams won’t have as enticing offers with the uncertainty of Kawhi signing long term.
Unless he commits then Pop will ship him to a non-Laker team. Preferably EC.

iamworthy
RealGM

Post#200 » by iamworthy » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:38 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Return to Los Angeles Lakers