ImageImageImageImageImage

The Leonard Thread. Official: Traded to the raptors.

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

Jedi32
Head Coach
And1: 6,282

Re: The Leonard Thread. 

Post#241 » by Jedi32 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:20 am

digcom99 wrote:
Michael Lucky wrote:
Pythagoras wrote:
I’m sure the Spurs would prefer not to send him to LA. One thing I learned from the Pacers and the PG trade last year, is that teams will absolutely let their emotions come into play when they lose a superstar. So the Spurs need to feel like they’re winning in a potential Kawhi deal.

If Magic offers an incredibly strong package, and the sentiment is they’re taking us to the woodshed. That’ll help soften the blow of losing Kawhi tremendously. So this really depends on just how bad Magic, and potentially Lebron if he’s coming, want Kawhi. Lose the battle to win the war.
I have a hard time believing that Buford would take the lesser deal because of emotional involvement.

Just go to any Spurs message board. The vast majority of their fan base don’t need see Ball/Ingram/Kuzma as anything special and a would take practically any deal that Boston or Philly would offer over any of the Laker youngsters. Anyone downplaying the rivalry is sorely mistaken.

They're fans so of course they'll feel like that, but the spurs front office might feel differently
Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,513

Post#242 » by Michael Lucky » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:38 pm

digcom99 wrote:
Michael Lucky wrote:
Pythagoras wrote:
I’m sure the Spurs would prefer not to send him to LA. One thing I learned from the Pacers and the PG trade last year, is that teams will absolutely let their emotions come into play when they lose a superstar. So the Spurs need to feel like they’re winning in a potential Kawhi deal.

If Magic offers an incredibly strong package, and the sentiment is they’re taking us to the woodshed. That’ll help soften the blow of losing Kawhi tremendously. So this really depends on just how bad Magic, and potentially Lebron if he’s coming, want Kawhi. Lose the battle to win the war.
I have a hard time believing that Buford would take the lesser deal because of emotional involvement.

Just go to any Spurs message board. The vast majority of their fan base don’t need see Ball/Ingram/Kuzma as anything special and a would take practically any deal that Boston or Philly would offer over any of the Laker youngsters. Anyone downplaying the rivalry is sorely mistaken.

Naturally since both teams have more to offer. Good luck getting those offers though.
Johnny Firpo
RealGM
And1: 8,683

Post#243 » by Johnny Firpo » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:58 pm

I am rooting for you guys to put together a big 3 that could rival the Warriors. The league, and we neutral fans, desperately need it. With the Celtics coming back healthy next year, with their integral growth, and Philly with theirs, we could actually see some major parity next season.
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,185

Post#244 » by LAKESHOW » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:22 pm

Thanks Jimmy
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
tviper
Sixth Man
And1: 260

Post#245 » by tviper » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:52 pm

Dloading99 wrote:The dude who wrote all this about Ingram and What I said about Kobe.

if you read the post. I said Look at what Kobe was at 20. still on the bench but showed he was a superstar in this league. and when he was winning that game 7 I would know I was there. When he got drafted by us and traded to us. he was a player that everybody was talking about but media was still saying would he reach his superstar potential it's just hype.

The Utah game the three air balls. But when he came back you saw it you saw what he would become The All star game in New York
but I'm not getting into this. NOBODY NOBDODY is comparing Kobe Bryant to Brandon Ingram. I never was.

All I was saying is you don't trade untapped potential just to make a trade. Like you know Trading Kobe Bryant for Grant Hill

or trading Klay Thompson for Kevin Love.

You don't make a trade to make a trade. James Harden couldn't get off the OKC bench and he became I don't know the MVP.

Scouts in the business of basketball look at a player and give a player Comp. When I worked out Klay Thompson I gave my assessment and said he was the best shooter I saw in the pac 12 since Reggie Miller pretty interesting that steve Kerr mentioned him as that guy. doesn't mean at that point he was Reggie but I saw Reggie in him as a player.

So with Brandon Ingram scouting him. I saw and looked at Kobe Bryant things in his game. Ability to get to the basket whenever he wants to. explosiveness off the ball. athletic tons of athleticsm. ability to shoot the ball. range out to the three point line. I saw Kawaii Leonard in Brandon Ingram coming into the league more than Kevin Durant.

Brandon will add a Post game to his game he will add a Dirk runner and he's a player but usually fans don't see this. He will always be in the gym he is coachable will lead players. But you would probably say Lonzo ball is a leader Brandon isn't a leader cause he's not ra ra but Brandon is a leader because he leads by example.

Brandon Ingrams ability to put the ball on the floor and handle it. Brandon Ingram can play point which he did this season. Kobe played a lot of point guard early in his career. so there is a legit comparison in his game. if you look at his dunks how he gets to the basket. the only player we had like that was Kobe before Ingram and after Kobe the only guy who was that was Ingram.

Brandon Ingram is a guy whenever he wants to can get his shot and get you buckets isolation. he can get you buckets in transition. the basketball IQ. ability to play in one emotion during the game and not be raddelled by anything. Klay has that trait Kawaii has that trait. so for you to sit up here and act like this guy is some bum is just laughable when Scouts usually look at guys to see what they will be after five seasons you want to move him into year three which is usually the star breakout year for a player. like a Giannis.

Brandon Ingram can play 1-5 "6-9" long Wingspan. can block shots and play defense and is a two way player. so rather then just be loud about how great kobe is and point out obvious stats about how great Kobe is one of the greatest players. actually look at the game and what Brandon Ingram can become 20 years old. like I said at 25 Dude will be an All NBA player.

I agree with this, Ingram is off the table for me. Getting all three is next to impossible due to cap and timing required. If you can get two, great, because Ingram will be the third.
digcom99
Sophomore
And1: 70

Post#246 » by digcom99 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:29 pm

Michael Lucky wrote:
digcom99 wrote:
Michael Lucky wrote: I have a hard time believing that Buford would take the lesser deal because of emotional involvement.

Naturally since both teams have more to offer. Good luck getting those offers though.

That's why I said in an earlier post the only way the Lakers have a remote chance at trading for KL is if he comes out and says he will only re-sign with LA...which will scare other teams from making top offers.

Otherwise, I can see Boston or Philly offering really good deals, thinking they can convince him to stay with a winning environment. He makes both teams instant eastern conference finalists, are bigger (biggish?) markets and can also pay him more salary because of his bird rights.

And there's this Chris Sheridan tweet and article that echoes what my exact thoughts:

Read on Twitter
Vae Victus
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,831

Post#247 » by Vae Victus » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:19 pm

If Pop wants to keep giving us the middle finger and not trade us Kawhi, thats cool.

We go back to the OG Plan A.

Purge Deng, sign LBJ + PG13 for pure cap, resign Randle, Ingram, Kuzma, Lonzo, Hart, + ring chasers. Then we get ready to sign & trade for Kawhi at the deadline.

If i'm Buford i'd be pissed if it leaked that Pop would rather take a **** package from a non Laker team. Even if internally they hate our guts they could at least use us as leverage against other teams to ante up more. "Maginka has Ingram + Kuzma on the table ****, pony up more". Otherwise PHI BOS and the rest are gonna lowball like mad if they know we're out of it.

Fans throughout the league are getting real scared now. Now all the under the cap teams fans are screaming that its Ingram or no dice for eating Deng. Dumbasses, when there are several teams with cap space you idiots need to bid among yourselves for the assets on offer. Dont let pride get in the way of doing whats best for your own team. GMs of those teams arent gonna sign a suicide pact just to spite the Lakers. One of em is gonna bite and the rest of the fanbases are gonna be screaming, "WHY ARE YOU HELPING THEM FORM A SUPERTEAM?!?!?" That GM would answer back, "cuz i dont care about that and only care about my team's future, these FRPs are better than nothing, enjoy your nothing."

Man if i'm Buford i'd start cutting off heads for that leak if its true.
Sushisensei26
Sixth Man
And1: 614

Post#248 » by Sushisensei26 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:08 pm

I wonder what the timeline is gonna be for this. Logic says before the draft, right?

Thursday is like a few days away.

Lets say Spurs say hell no to Deng, what's a better way of going about this?

1. Trade Deng with FRPs before the draft on Thursday.
2. Trade for Kawhi first and then try to deal Deng which means you have fewer assets (FRPs)
Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,969

Post#249 » by Landsberger » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:30 pm

Sushisensei26 wrote:I wonder what the timeline is gonna be for this. Logic says before the draft, right?

Thursday is like a few days away.

Lets say Spurs say hell no to Deng, what's a better way of going about this?

1. Trade Deng with FRPs before the draft on Thursday.
2. Trade for Kawhi first and then try to deal Deng which means you have fewer assets (FRPs)

I don't think any of this works with Deng on the books. To make sure we don't get held up for Deng it would see that we'd need to settle his mess first.
AmusingFiddle
Rookie
And1: 315

The Leonard Thread.  

Post#250 » by AmusingFiddle » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:39 pm

Yes it will be tricky to move Deng and trade for Kawhi. In both transactions we will need FRPs.

Unless we take back some more salary OR make it a three team deal.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Sushisensei26
Sixth Man
And1: 614

Post#251 » by Sushisensei26 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:52 pm

Ya this is gonna be very tricky. Maybe a bit too tricky to pull off. Too many things going against it.
Landsberger
General Manager

Post#252 » by Landsberger » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:27 pm

Sushisensei26 wrote:Ya this is gonna be very tricky. Maybe a bit too tricky to pull off. Too many things going against it.

My guess is that the trades will be multi-team and the picks will be coming in the transactions. We've got Lopez, IT and Randle we can sign/trade as well as the remaining youth.
larry14r
Bench Warmer
And1: 131

Post#253 » by larry14r » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:30 pm

Landsberger wrote:
Sushisensei26 wrote:Ya this is gonna be very tricky. Maybe a bit too tricky to pull off. Too many things going against it.

My guess is that the trades will be multi-team and the picks will be coming in the transactions. We've got Lopez, IT and Randle we can sign/trade as well as the remaining youth.

It's over Kawhi is heading east if moved, and then as a free agent might come out west.
Vae Victus
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,831

Post#254 » by Vae Victus » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:34 pm

Lopez and IT are worth diddly in S&T, both of em are easily gettable for just the MLE.

Randle otoh we have alot of leverage as long as we hold onto his RFA rights, hence why purging Deng is #1 priority for the team. We just need to pray that Pop likes Randle alot (its a given he's drooling over Ingram) and also wants to purge some unneeded future salary in Pau or Mills. That's pretty much the only angle we have that puts our package over the potential offers from BOS/PHI.
Landsberger
General Manager

Post#255 » by Landsberger » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:39 pm

Vae Victus wrote:Lopez and IT are worth diddly in S&T, both of em are easily gettable for just the MLE.

We've signed and traded fodder before as part of larger deals. Their value in balancing deals is as important as what they do on the court. If we can get them on a team they want who may not be able to get them otherwise for a pick or something then it enhances our chances I'd say. I could easily see one of them as part of a larger multi team deal.
loveshaq786
Pro Prospect
And1: 86

Post#256 » by loveshaq786 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:42 pm

Time to put this in trade thread ... Along with LBJ
john248
Starter
And1: 651

Post#257 » by john248 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:17 am

larry14r wrote:
john248 wrote:Here's to hoping Ingram remains & both Lonzo and Deng are out of here.

In your dream Ingram or no deal that's what the Spurs will demand.

My dream is trading for Kawhi (dealing Lonzo, Kuzma, 25th pick, Deng), stealing Durant, and signing Paul George (or LeBron). That would be the DREAM.

If the Spurs want Ingram instead of Lonzo, I would make that trade.

Kawhi wants to be traded to a team in Los Angeles which will eliminate most teams except the Lakers and Clippers. Kawhi also has a leg injury that no one knows how it will affect him going forward. The Lakers will have to weigh the risk / reward when they're dealing with the Spurs. Going forward, Magic and Pelinka don't have to give up the farm if they don't feel it's worth it right now. They can still wait it out until the trade deadline. The value of Kawhi isn't likely to vary all that much between now until then; well, not unless Kawhi's injury turns out to be worse than anyone thought. Next season is still a transition or rebuilding season with or without LeBron and/or PG.
The Last Word
PKABOOICU
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,128

Post#258 » by PKABOOICU » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:07 am

DEEP3CL wrote:Ah yeah it's definitely the off season, a time when I try to stay out of threads because they're filled with too much over excitement of free agents that may or may not come. This thread here...a trade pipe dream of Kawhi to the Lakers ? Man y'all got a better chance of seeing hell freeze over. KL will be traded just not here, and he will come if he wants to next summer.

This is what I think too. He's gonna force a trade, but not the Lakers. I think he'll be a Celtic or 76er, or some random team will swoop in to get him, like the Memphis Grizzlies and the 4th pick. The Spurs would drool over Doncic, a European Point Guard, projected to be the best Euro player of all time. Its the perfect fit, and the Grizzlies are supposedly still in win-now mode. What better player to trade for than Kawhi Leonard, and pair him up with Marc Gasol and Mike Conley?
Just because Kawhi wants to be traded to the Lakers doesnt mean he will. The Spurs will take the best offer available as long as it doesnt help the Lakers. And they'd preferably ship him to the East. No team in the East can put together a better package than the Celtics.
So there it is- Celtics are my favorites to land him, followed by the 76ers and Lakers. The Grizzlies are my dark horse team.
AmusingFiddle
Rookie
And1: 315

The Leonard Thread.  

Post#259 » by AmusingFiddle » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:26 am

Lakers being uncertain about trading for Kawhi due to uncertainties about his injury. None of the teams mentioned in rumors have made an offer.

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2018/6/17/17472592/la-lakers-nba-trade-rumors-san-antonio-spurs-kawhi-leonard

SAS will not trade him for an inferior package. I am afraid this will drag until after the draft maybe until the trade deadline in Feb

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,157

Post#260 » by Revived » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:08 am

The next two months will feel like two years.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers