ImageImageImageImageImage

Center Situation

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,925

Re: Center Situation 

Post#161 » by tugs » Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:34 am

Checked on a couple Beasley games and I completely forgot he was utilized as a C. That game vs Boston against Al Horford was telling.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,410

Post#162 » by Revived » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:09 pm

Alex Len makes the most sense for the Lakers. His market looks dull right now so he can take a 1 yr deal and hit free agency again next summer.

What better team for him to join than the team that will get the most national exposure next season as well as his only competition being McGee?

For the Lakers, he’s a former top 5 pick that’s an excellent rebounder and has some shot blocking ability.

Makes almost too much sense for both sides.
One Love
Starter
And1: 290

Post#163 » by One Love » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:38 pm

McGee will start & play the first 8 minutes of the 1st & 3rd quartets than Luke will close with whichever lineup is working... We have enough interchangeable pieces to field a competitive team... Hart will be a BEAST this year & will be LBJ’s project... He loves the kid...

Lakeshow Baby...
Vae Victus
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,838

Post#164 » by Vae Victus » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:09 am

Damnit Len is out, he signed a 2 year Room Exception size deal with ATL.

Clearly he wanted more guaranteed money rather than taking a chance on himself playing with Lebron to try to cash in on next year's crazy cap market. I cant imagine Beasley was Plan A with our own Room Exception.

Fool

Bah, who else who is out there.
tviper
Sixth Man
And1: 260

Post#165 » by tviper » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:52 am

With Beasley, the Lakers have 15 under contract. That's it for now unless there is a trade.
Hellcrooner
Veteran
And1: 2,134

Post#166 » by Hellcrooner » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:22 am

we really should have drafted Willy Hgz,,,
damm.
:(
kblo247
RealGM
And1: 2,130

Post#167 » by kblo247 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:33 am

tviper wrote:With Beasley, the Lakers have 15 under contract. That's it for now unless there is a trade.

You can have 17. 13 active, 2 reserves, 2 two ways

Ball
KCP
Ingram
LeBron
McGee

Rondo
Hart
Lance
Beasley
Kuzma

Zubac
Wagner
Svi
Deng
Bonga

Caruso
???
Beethoven
Head Coach
And1: 3,832

Post#168 » by Beethoven » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:00 am

We got a killer roster.
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)
tviper
Sixth Man

Post#169 » by tviper » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:21 am

kblo247 wrote:
tviper wrote:With Beasley, the Lakers have 15 under contract. That's it for now unless there is a trade.

Ball
KCP
Ingram
LeBron
McGee

Rondo
Hart
Lance
Beasley
Kuzma

Zubac
Wagner
Svi
Deng
Bonga

Caruso
???

are you somehow saying that we have another roster spot for a center? because that is what this thread is titled. whoever the second two way is has no bearing whatsoever on the actual NBA roster.
JohnVancouver
General Manager
And1: 236

Post#170 » by JohnVancouver » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:28 pm

briansaddleback wrote:We got a killer roster.

possibly coach-killer roster, but I'm excited to see this team play. Could very well be great
"Deng and Mozgov was some 1980s Clippers sh*t. So, so dumb" - Sedale Threatt

"If you can't get banned for threatening to rape a mod, what can you get banned for?" Jigga_Man/2013

"Everybody love Everybody." - Jackie Moon
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,544

Post#171 » by stan francisco » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:27 pm

All of these players move well off the ball, find passing angles, understand spacing, run the right lanes, know the art of deception on both ends. They all have high basketball IQs and good peripheral vision. These new vets fit Luke’s motion offense where spacing matters greatly. They all have a game that fits Luke’s basic system. I’m pumped about next season.

If we can upgrade to Nurkic from Zubac (unless he’s about to unleash ZubaccaDaBlocca...), this off-season will have been a total and complete success. We’re a strong and broad low post center away from having a roster that can contend already in 2018-2019.
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
kblo247
RealGM
And1: 2,130

Post#172 » by kblo247 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:42 am

tviper wrote:
kblo247 wrote:

Ball
KCP
Ingram
LeBron
McGee

Rondo
Hart
Lance
Beasley
Kuzma

Zubac
Wagner
Svi
Deng
Bonga

Caruso
???

are you somehow saying that we have another roster spot for a center? because that is what this thread is titled. whoever the second two way is has no bearing whatsoever on the actual NBA roster.

The other 2 way could be Ayres who started most summer league so yeah it could matter
dipstick
Sixth Man
And1: 218

Post#173 » by dipstick » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:23 am

Still really interesting how this will play out. I can see us starting McGee in the first and third quarters without him seeing any court time in 4th quarters. I'm pretty sure either Wagner or Zubac will be part of the rotation but not both. I have a feeling that Magic will prefer giving Wagner every opportunity to contribute this early.

So who are our potential small ball 5s?
1. Kyle Kuzma - Should be our best bet to play the small ball 5 especially if we want him to be on the floor during crunch time.
2. Lebron - I don't know if we want him to be playing small ball 5 though and playing against other big bruisers so I'd rather this be the last option. May be a good option though depending on the matchup.
3. Luol Deng - Just so we can use him.
4. Beasley - Defense will be the problem
5. Ingram? - If the death lineup becomes a reality, Ingram, Lebron and Kuz playing interchangeable positionless basketball could be an advantage.
tviper
Sixth Man

Post#174 » by tviper » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:25 pm

kblo247 wrote:
tviper wrote:
kblo247 wrote:You can have 17. 13 active, 2 reserves, 2 two ways

Ball
KCP
Ingram
LeBron
McGee

Rondo
Hart
Lance
Beasley
Kuzma

Zubac
Wagner
Svi
Deng
Bonga

Caruso
???

The other 2 way could be Ayres who started most summer league so yeah it could matter

or maybe not.
Unbiased hater
Sixth Man
And1: 749

Post#175 » by Unbiased hater » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:55 pm

Lakers signed Wear
KobeBryant24
Veteran
And1: 2,167

Post#176 » by KobeBryant24 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:48 pm

The year Zubac turns into Marc Gasol ( lol )
Edrees
RealGM
And1: 11,144

Post#177 » by Edrees » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:39 pm

stan francisco wrote:All of these players move well off the ball, find passing angles, understand spacing, run the right lanes, know the art of deception on both ends. They all have high basketball IQs and good peripheral vision. These new vets fit Luke’s motion offense where spacing matters greatly. They all have a game that fits Luke’s basic system. I’m pumped about next season.

If we can upgrade to Nurkic from Zubac (unless he’s about to unleash ZubaccaDaBlocca...), this off-season will have been a total and complete success. We’re a strong and broad low post center away from having a roster that can contend already in 2018-2019.

I would say Mcgee and KCP are low IQ guys. beasley is average. But yeah, most are high IQ.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,544

Post#178 » by stan francisco » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:26 pm

BB IQ is not the same as general intelligence...
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
TylersLakers
RealGM
And1: 2,811

Post#179 » by TylersLakers » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:51 pm

I posted this in the Travis Wear thread.

Also, I don't think Ayres is eligible for a 2-way contract because of his years of experience in the league. I could be wrong, but that's what I heard.

TylersLakers wrote:
EZ GG LOSER wrote:
Spens1 wrote:Pretty bad signing, we needed a centre badly (McGee and Zubac as our main actual centre's, stuff this positionless basketball, Kuzma and Beas will die at the 5).

Pretty poor by management unless this system is going to do to Centre what the triangle and Phil Jackson did to the point guard.

Got a feeling Luke's gonna play a lot of Bron at Centre - small ball ??? I don't like how we pretty much got Mcgee/Zubac I'd rather have lolpez - I like Zubac but he just aint ready

LeBron is going to be playing a ton of C, that's just the way it is. The only time he won't is when he's going against a traditional C.

Positions just don't matter anymore. I know it's hard to look at a depth chart and go, "but woah, Josh Hart isn't a PF, we can't play him there," but you're going to have to start doing it. I could see us playing with the following line-ups:

Ball (or Rondo)/Svi/Hart/Ingram/Kuzma
Ball (or Rondo)/Hart (or KCP)/Ingram/Kuzma/LeBron
Rondo (or Ball)/Hart/Stephenson/Kuzma/Beasley
Ball (or Rondo)/Svi/KCP/Hart/LeBron

Prepare to see some really weird line-ups to maximize minutes of Ball, Kuzma, Ingram, Hart. If that means playing them over having a traditional big like Zubac or McGee, we're gonna do it. I anticipate seeing McGee 12-18 minutes a night.
TylersLakers
RealGM
And1: 2,811

Post#180 » by TylersLakers » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:55 pm

briansaddleback wrote:We got a killer roster.

I agree with this.

If one of our young guys (Ingram, Kuzma, Ball) can pop in a big way and we can stay relatively healthy, we have the 2nd or 3rd seed wrapped up. There's just so much depth which is an area that we lacked big time last year.

If no one pops but we just have general improvement amongst the young core, we'll be a 5/6 seed.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers