Lonzo Ball Thread II

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

milesfides
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,449

Re: Lonzo Ball Thread II 

Post#401 » by milesfides » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:04 pm

Too bad about the ankle sprain. He improved his weaknesses - scoring at the rim and three-point shooting. Free throw shooting is next.

Recovered from a knee scope by not chilling but putting on 20 pounds of muscle this summer (here's looking at you Ingram).

He's a stud. I can't think of 5 point guards that I'd trade him for.
“OH! Caruso parachutes in! You cannot stop him - you can only hope to contain him!” -Kevin Harlan, LAL-GSW 4/4/19
iamworthy
RealGM
And1: 8,909

Post#402 » by iamworthy » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:31 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Spanish_Laker
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,010

Post#403 » by Spanish_Laker » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:34 pm

The team's defensive level will really decrease. Heartbreaking news.
Banned after 15 years in this forum for no reason. Farewell RealGM users
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,675

Post#404 » by dockingsched » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:37 pm

iamworthy wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

With the history behind his previous injuries and recoveries, expectations should probably be he won’t be back for 6 weeks, not 3.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,969

Post#405 » by Landsberger » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:42 pm

Spanish_Laker wrote:The team's defensive level will really decrease. Heartbreaking news.

With Rondo coming back it won't change too much. Not as much interior defense but better perimeter defense.

What this will mean is more Ingram initiation with the second unit.....
Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,513

Post#406 » by Michael Lucky » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:43 pm

Yeah he wont be back until the second week of March. Of course it had to happen after he started to play better.
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 5,390

Post#407 » by Danny Darko » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:44 pm

so basically after the all star break. that sucks.
Spanish_Laker
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,010

Post#408 » by Spanish_Laker » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:48 pm

Get well soon Lonzo! We need you!
Banned after 15 years in this forum for no reason. Farewell RealGM users
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,675

Post#409 » by dockingsched » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:03 am

Landsberger wrote:
Spanish_Laker wrote:The team's defensive level will really decrease. Heartbreaking news.

With Rondo coming back it won't change too much. Not as much interior defense but better perimeter defense.

May be I’m overrating Zo or underrating Rondo, but I’d think that’s a significant defensive downgrade.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
milesfides
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#410 » by milesfides » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:18 am

Well, at least it wasn't as bad as Lebron's Grade 4 groin break
“OH! Caruso parachutes in! You cannot stop him - you can only hope to contain him!” -Kevin Harlan, LAL-GSW 4/4/19
kblo247
RealGM
And1: 2,130

Post#411 » by kblo247 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:23 am

milesfides wrote:Too bad about the ankle sprain. He improved his weaknesses - scoring at the rim and three-point shooting. Free throw shooting is next.

Recovered from a knee scope by not chilling but putting on 20 pounds of muscle this summer (here's looking at you Ingram).

Kemba, Lillard, Fox, Russ, Curry, Lowry, Kyrie
kblo247
RealGM
And1: 2,130

Post#412 » by kblo247 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:24 am

dockingsched wrote:
Landsberger wrote:

May be I’m overrating Zo or underrating Rondo, but I’d think that’s a significant defensive downgrade.

Individually you are right. Team concept wise not really. Look at the Warriors game. Rondo was directing everyone where to go both ways on O and D. Our fastbreak will also suffer but half court O improve.
Landsberger
General Manager

Post#413 » by Landsberger » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:25 am

dockingsched wrote:
Landsberger wrote:

I think Ball plays good off the ball defense however at the point of attack he's got issues. In a team concept Rondo will be very good.... he may not get the flashy steals but he'll be in the right position more than not. Ball has some learning to do on that end to add to his great instincts.

.... now if you want to see drop off then we have Hart to discuss.
Landsberger
General Manager

Post#414 » by Landsberger » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:30 am

kblo247 wrote:
milesfides wrote:Too bad about the ankle sprain. He improved his weaknesses - scoring at the rim and three-point shooting. Free throw shooting is next.

If PER means anything to anyone..... Ball is currently 59th in the league for PG's.

PG is a position that gets overrated the more assists the individual gets IMHO. A much better team health indicator is having 4 or 5 guys with 4+ assists a game as opposed to one guy with 8-10. Ball brings assists and defense at this point on a consistent basis. Going forward it's all conjecture. At this point there are probably more than a dozen PG's who could keep this team playing at the same level. It just so happens we'll get one back very soon.

Don't forget Dinwiddie, Simmons and Wall.... No one would trade them to us but I would trade Ball for them.
milesfides
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#415 » by milesfides » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:26 am

kblo247 wrote:

First, most of those guys are on max contracts or will be. Enjoy Kemba Walker's 40m/year for the next 5 years! Hope he didn't fool you with a contract year! That difference in money over the next three seasons makes a huge difference. Lonzo (and Fox) appreciate greatly in value when you can add a 25m star player to make the difference. You can fit an Anthony Davis or a Joel Embiid in there.

Second, Lonzo is far better on defense than all of them except for Westbrook. Lillard is a killer - but on both ends of the floor. That's a major problem for his team every year. And speaking of Westbrook, aside from his awful inconsistent but insistent shooting, most of those guys are approaching 30 or over. You've got no upside with those guys. Only downhill from there. Why'd you leave Chris Paul off your list? Oh yeah, 33 and just hit the decline. And that might be a top 5 PG of all time. You think Lowry's gonna make it? Wouldn't put my money on Lowry being a top 5 point guard from age 33-35.

If one really considers all the factors, nobody's perfect. You'd have to pick and choose what's valuable to you. Sure, I'd take Steph Curry even though he's 30, as the greatest shooter ever, I'd give him that courtesy. His type of game will decline relatively slowly before he hits that dreaded 34 mark, even if his defense has already become trash. And I'd allow Kyrie Irving, except he too has been an inconsistent defender, and he has even a worse track record of injuries than Lonzo.

Pick your poison, but I'm good with Lonzo. I'm worried far more about everybody else.
myersia
Analyst
And1: 788

Post#416 » by myersia » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:36 am

It’s going to be hard to make the playoffs if these injuries keep happening.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
shakes0
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,960

Post#417 » by shakes0 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:45 pm

Absolutely devastated by the news. 2 years in a row, this really sucks. And just like last year it happens right when he is turning the corner with his play.
Laker_Kid
Starter
And1: 591

Post#418 » by Laker_Kid » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:20 pm

luckilty, we should be getting back Lebron and Rondo on the lineup.

it was a scary moment, but relieved it isn't any worse. better to get over the injury bug now than later i guess. assuming we make the playoffs.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,420

Post#419 » by Revived » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:23 pm

myersia wrote:It’s going to be hard to make the playoffs if these injuries keep happening.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Bron and Rondo just need to stay healthy after coming back.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,420

Post#420 » by Revived » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:24 pm

And no more additional injuries.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers