The LeBron Thread (merged)

Moderators: Danny Darko, TyCobb, Kilroy

milesfides
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,447

The LeBron Thread (merged) 

Post#1 » by milesfides » Wed Oct 3, 2018 9:04 pm

Considering the excitement surrounding Lebron James joining the Lakers, it brings me little joy to point out the obvious.

Lebron is getting old. He turns 34 in December, and this is not only when all great players start to noticeably decline, but it is statistically also when they suffer career-limiting or career-ending injuries. The likelihood of Lebron suffering a catastrophic injury soon is statistically almost a sure thing.

Kobe tore his achilles when he was 34.

Michael Jordan left at 34, but in his first season back with the Wizards, he tore up his knee.

Scottie Pippen dropped off greatly at 33, then struggled with injuries at 35, eventually forcing him to retire.

Shaq had knee surgery at 34, and he was essentially done.

Dominique Wilkins tore his achilles when he was 33. A year later he was playing in Greece.

Charles Barkley tore his quad tendon when he was 31, never was the same after that. Another torn quad forced him to be carried off the court.

James Worthy had to have knee surgery at 31, which forced him to retire a year later.

Tim Duncan was never the same player when he hit 34.

This list goes on and on because father time is undefeated. It is inevitable.

We've all seen this movie before, many, many times. Too many times. But hope is a son of a bitch. It seduces you to rob you of good sense. The Lakers got into bed with Karl Malone and Gary Payton in 2003 and and Nash and Dwight in 2012. And then when they fell apart, we realized the obvious. Hope can make you blind.

Lebron's signing of a 4-year $154m contract was a mistake. It was a mistake like Kobe's extension at the same age. It always is a mistake.

There's still time to fix that mistake. Lebron is still highly valued, but it's a bubble. He's set up for a bank run. One injury, and it's over. A few articles pointing out his fade (Lebron has slipped on defense for two straight seasons), it's over.

Trading him will be a PR nightmare for one season, but that is far more preferable than half a decade of being handcuffed by mediocrity. We've also seen that movie before.

Let's stop being fools. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me three times, the cock crows and we need divine intervention.

I'm really tired of Los Angeles being a slaughterhouse for superstars. Let's let somebody else shoot the elephant for once. It is a beast of enormous burden. Years of watching the blood dry on the carcasses of giants weighs too much on the soul.
“OH! Caruso parachutes in! You cannot stop him - you can only hope to contain him!” -Kevin Harlan, LAL-GSW 4/4/19
thebigbird
Analyst
And1: 7,653

Re: Lebron: Shooting an Elephant 

Post#2 » by thebigbird » Wed Oct 3, 2018 9:52 pm

When you land the best player in the world and immediately want to trade him... Oh.
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 8,800

Post#3 » by TyCobb » Wed Oct 3, 2018 9:56 pm

I'm worried about your health. My prayers are with you brotha.
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
snaquille oatmeal
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,819

Post#4 » by snaquille oatmeal » Wed Oct 3, 2018 10:56 pm

Karl Malone and Kareem say hi
Forum permissions
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot trade for basketball reasons in this forum
You cannot but I can...five rings!
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 7,609

Post#5 » by Kilroy » Thu Oct 4, 2018 12:26 am

Not sure an adequate meme exists for this one...
Landsberger
Head Coach
And1: 1,528

Post#6 » by Landsberger » Thu Oct 4, 2018 1:51 am

snaquille oatmeal wrote:Karl Malone and Kareem say hi

Yeah..... and he left out the little tidbit about Wilkins..... that he came back to the NBA at age 37 and averaged 18.6 for SA in 63 games.... But that doesn't fit the narrative. Not sure which year he tore his achilles but if was at age 33 he was an all star for 2 more years before going to Greece as well and then returning.

Dr J was an all star every year until he retired at 36.
Alex English was an all star until age 36.
Hakeem was still dominant into his late 30's
Drexler was very good to his late 30's.

Bron takes care of himself and he could easily play into his late 30's. Believing that the FO would trade him shows no understanding of the FO IMHO. They neeeeeeed the best player in the game for their business model. Davis isn't a worldwide brand.
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 12,278

Post#7 » by Dr Aki » Thu Oct 4, 2018 2:58 am

Kobe always had niggling injuries. He just played through them.

LeBron's been the picture of health. Dude also has his mind in the right place in regards to taking care of his body, from his knees, to his back.

If there's anyone to bet on to last the distance, you couldn't ask for anyone better than LeBron
Vae Victus
Analyst
And1: 1,218

Post#8 » by Vae Victus » Thu Oct 4, 2018 3:28 am

Im 100% in total agreement with the OP.

While we all should be rightfully excited, there's always that pessimistic **** in the back of all of our minds constantly reminding us how things can get undone in a blink of an eye.

It would be insane to trade Lebron soon after signing him, but.... if you can trade him for the likes of AD or healthy Kawhi or some younger in prime Superstar, i mean its just the LOGICAL move to make. However, we're emotional creatures, there's just no way Maginka would have the stone cold balls to execute such an insane trade, and eat all the outrage and hate that will come their way for treating one of the best players in the history of the game like a piece of meat. The hit to their personal lives and destruction trust among players and agents would be unfathomable.

Thus all we Laker fans can do is ride or die with Lebron's health. Pray to bball jesus that he stays healthy for the rest of his contract and things work out as planned in 2019 FA.
SlimShady83
Head Coach
And1: 765

Post#9 » by SlimShady83 » Thu Oct 4, 2018 7:07 am

Don't worry Miles you have my support I never wanted him either and still don't.

The only really good thing is now that other FA's are wanting to finally join Lakers - well fingers crossed they still do

KL, AD are more exciting :) they're my top priority IMO

Peace out

Edit: also with history shows, lebum isn't that good when it comes to injuries so yeh, 1 injury can be career ending.

But Magic/rob ain't gonna trade him, they'll ride or die with him ^as above said :)
Bring back 80's 90's basketball please :)
Dr Aki
RealGM

Post#10 » by Dr Aki » Thu Oct 4, 2018 7:20 am

before we forget, the lakers wouldn't have been able to get to the summer of 2020 with 1 max free agent and the ability to snag davis on a free. our window to grab 2 max free agents coincides with ingram still being on a cheap rookie scale

by the time davis could've opted out, the lakers would've had ingram eat up a large 21.8 million dollar cap hold, which would've put the lakers ONLY 50 million AT MOST in raw cap space (if we consider having just 2 more FRPs rookie scales on the books). that's not even mentioning we'd be committing to randle long term as a runner-up prize.

deng's 18.8 mil expiring would've been eaten up by the difference of 14.5 mil between ingram's 2019/20 salary and his 21.8 mil cap hold, not to mention the large boosts in salary for all the other rookies. there was absolutely no way that getting to brandon ingram's extension would've meant the lakers could snag davis for free unless the lakers completely bombed in 2018 (we got lebron), and 2019.

this is how the system is played:
- you get your great rookies
- you sign as many top tier talent as you can before those rookies are eligible for extensions
- your rookies become max guys, you give them the max as well.

the only way we get davis is through trade, and even attempting to move lebron for davis flies in the very face of what the lakers organisation stands for
Dr Aki
RealGM

Post#11 » by Dr Aki » Thu Oct 4, 2018 7:26 am

Kilroy wrote:Not sure an adequate meme exists for this one...

oh there certainly is

Spoiler:
mcscotty
Pro Prospect
And1: 339

Post#12 » by mcscotty » Thu Oct 4, 2018 10:27 am

LeBron is still the best player in the world coming off one of his best statistical seasons ever. Even at max, he is still one of the best bargains in the NBA. We struck gold this off season.
Spanish_Laker
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,368

Post#13 » by Spanish_Laker » Thu Oct 4, 2018 11:42 am

And then the Drama Queen (or Nancy) was me, when this guy has been talking about a "catastrophic injury" for LeBron for years.

I'm not worried at all, he is the perfect player, his diet / workouts are just excellent, he really takes care of his body like nobody else does. He might have injuries, minor setbacks, but I think we won't witness any major injury as a Laker. Positive mindset.
Arguably the greatest franchise ever
Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 4,749

Post#14 » by Michael Lucky » Thu Oct 4, 2018 12:13 pm

Michael Jordan was 35 not 34 when he retired the second time after winning finals mvp. He was 38 when he came back. I would not use him as the example.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 29,125

Post#15 » by Slava » Thu Oct 4, 2018 12:17 pm

The biggest difference between LeBron and the others is that he has the maturity and executive function to see the big picture and not overextend himself during the regular season. This isn't Kobe running himself into the ground on account of bravado to drag a team to the playoffs and play full games for weeks at a time before tearing his achilles.
:king:
kobe808lak
Sixth Man
And1: 513

Post#16 » by kobe808lak » Thu Oct 4, 2018 1:43 pm

Can you just stop with the bad karma dude... like really we just got the best player on Earth...
stan francisco
Analyst
And1: 876

Post#17 » by stan francisco » Thu Oct 4, 2018 2:35 pm

LeBrons physique is not normal. Never has been. He was born to be a tank and takes care of his body better than anyone in the league.

Accidents and injuries can happen to anyone, but if we’re talking normal superstar wear and tear and durability, I’d put my money on LBJ’s longevity over any other star in the league.
2019-20
PG: Caruso, Bradley, Rondo, Cook
SG: Green, Caruso, Pope, Daniels
SF: James, Kuzma, Green, THT
PF: Davis, Kuzma, Dud, Cacok
C: Howard, McGee, Kostas, Davis

Go huge: PG James | SG Kuz | SF Davis | PF Cousins | C Howard

Mamba Mentality
RealGM
And1: 7,208

Post#18 » by Mamba Mentality » Thu Oct 4, 2018 3:53 pm

I get where Miles is coming from. Lebron is more susceptible to a serious injury at this age, and if something was to happen to him it would set the franchise back another decade. But we cant discount the fact that Lebron is a freak of nature who has shown little to no signs of slowing down. He takes care of his body as well as anyone in the league, and I'm willing to bet on his health and durability.
iamworthy
RealGM
And1: 3,889

Post#19 » by iamworthy » Thu Oct 4, 2018 4:06 pm

TyCobb wrote:I'm worried about your health. My prayers are with you brotha.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 7,609

Post#20 » by Kilroy » Thu Oct 4, 2018 4:11 pm

The Regime wrote:I get where Miles is coming from. Lebron is more susceptible to a serious injury at this age, and if something was to happen to him it would set the franchise back another decade. But we cant discount the fact that Lebron is a freak of nature who has shown little to no signs of slowing down. He takes care of his body as well as anyone in the league, and I'm willing to bet on his health and durability.

This and you don't need him to play for a decade, you just need him to play long enough to attract other stars and smooth the transition into the next era... Hopefully out of the talent we have right now, we have a future face of the franchise, but if not, we have a much better chance of attracting that level of talent with LeBron on the team. Not only LeBron, but LeBron's people on the team... In a lot of ways, LeBron is the voice of the players right now... He has a lot of pull with current and future free agents...
I don't think this can be underestimated. He's the opposite of Kobe's King of the Hill approach to being the best player in the league... He draws people to him rather than scaring them away.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers