Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

Tracymcgoaty
RealGM
And1: 16,227

Re: Lebron: Shooting an Elephant 

Post#121 » by Tracymcgoaty » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:11 pm

milesfides wrote:
LeBron_da_Don wrote:
milesfides wrote:Kobe scored 60 points in his final game. That didn’t undo the fact that he was done being a top player for the previous three years. Lebron will definitely have great games this season. So will Jamal Murray.

This is actually great for his trade value, especially with our easy schedule coming up. As long as enough people believe Lebron is arguably the best player in the league, we can trade him for the actual best players in the league.

The Lakers could win the next 4 championships and LeBron win the next 4 FMVPs and I'm convinced you'd still take exception to him being on this team.

Of course not. I'm simply stating facts. He's entered the high risk phase of injury and/or decline. How much decline? That would be hard to predict exactly, but he's already been an average defender for the past three seasons - fact. In other words, he's not the best player in the league. Kevin Durant, Anthony Davis, Kawhi Leonard, and Steph Curry have all clearly surpassed him.

If we're trying to win championships, we're already at a disadvantage. And as he gets even older, he will get worse. So I just don't see the logic of betting on Lebron. He's a bad bet.

Didn't lebron less than a year ago Demolish everything in the playoffs? Lebron is 33 and there still aint many i'd take ahead of him. Kawhi might be the only one.
Raul
“The other day I saw one of his games. He was running with the ball at a hundred per cent full speed, I don’t know how many touches he took, maybe five or six, but the ball was glued to his foot. It’s practically impossible.”
XXBKXX
Senior
And1: 253

Post#122 » by XXBKXX » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:21 am

Everytime I read this thread topic I think to myself... "what did the elephant do to Bron in the first place??"

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
BK
-----------------------
Lakers / Angels / Dolphins
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,334

Post#123 » by Dr Aki » Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:40 am

XXBKXX wrote:Everytime I read this thread topic I think to myself... "what did the elephant do to Bron in the first place??"

miles never forgets
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,544

Post#124 » by stan francisco » Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:59 am

LeBron can turn it on when he wants to. He showed that during the game when he passed Wilt. But he can’t do that for a long stretch without wearing down what’s still left of his knees, in a hurry.

It just sucks to see him idling it through these games
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
Spanish_Laker
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,010

Post#125 » by Spanish_Laker » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:33 pm

Can we close this post already? LeBron is the only reason we are over .50, without him we would be fighting with Phoenix for the worst record in the West. Lonzo, Kuzma, Ingram, Hart are all overrated and you know it, the only reason LeBron isn't playing 100% on every night, especially on defense, is because he is 33 years old and he is saving for the second part of the season and the playoffs, if we can make it. Please Magic get LeBron some help.
Banned after 15 years in this forum for no reason. Farewell RealGM users
Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,969

Post#126 » by Landsberger » Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:35 pm

Spanish_Laker wrote:Can we close this post already? LeBron is the only reason we are over .50, without him we would be fighting with Phoenix for the worst record in the West. Lonzo, Kuzma, Ingram, Hart are all overrated and you know it, the only reason LeBron isn't playing 100% on every night, especially on defense, is because he is 33 years old and he is saving for the second part of the season and the playoffs, if we can make it. Please Magic get LeBron some help.

What? I’ve read in this thread and we have an all time great PG on this team along with 2 top 3 guys at their positions. They would be getting better only if we didn’t have this pesky real all time great to deal with.
milesfides
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,449

Post#127 » by milesfides » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:51 pm

Above .500? That’s what we’re aiming for? And get Lebron help? Who? At what cost?

Do you know what Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce looked like when they went from hall of famers on a super team to absolute trash a year later on the Nets? It was Danny Ainge who had no conscience and made the right decision at the right time to bury the dinosaurs.

Father Time is undefeated.
“OH! Caruso parachutes in! You cannot stop him - you can only hope to contain him!” -Kevin Harlan, LAL-GSW 4/4/19
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,662

Post#128 » by dockingsched » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:40 pm

I don’t know how other Lakers forums are, but this ridiculous “trade Lebron” thing here in realgm really is a shame and makes a lot of this board unreadable. At some point it’s just gotta be considered derailing of discussion.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,334

Post#129 » by Dr Aki » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:24 am

I think at this point of the season, LeBron has taken Kobe's advice to heart:

I would say he’s working too much,” Bryant told B/R prior to Game 3. “He should be doing less, actually. Phil used to say this thing to me a lot, when I was doing a lot on the court,” said Bryant, whose ESPN+ show Detail explores the technical aspects of the game. “He’d say, ‘You have to do less.’ And I’d say, ‘Well, my teammates got to step up more.’ Phil would say, ‘Well, it’s your responsibility to thrust the game upon them.'

Remember how we snickered when LeBron got swept? That his team didn't provide enough help (and we all knew it).

Maybe he's decided on letting the kids work themselves into a comfortable role and not trying to do everything himself. Kobe later in his career took a much less thorny leadership style to his post-Shaq, MJ-like, scream at people until they play better style.

Perhaps LeBron is picking his moments better as to not burn out during the season and seeing who he can trust in the post season as well.
Spanish_Laker
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,010

Post#130 » by Spanish_Laker » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:16 am

Are you watching the game Milesfides?
Banned after 15 years in this forum for no reason. Farewell RealGM users
XXBKXX
Senior
And1: 253

Post#131 » by XXBKXX » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:37 am

Spanish_Laker wrote:Are you watching the game Milesfides?
Lol.. Brons shot has been on point lately. Can't argue against that.

Its contsgeous too.. the rest of the lakers have been shooting well on this last 9 game stretch where we are 7-2...

Theres no doubt about it.. we are a MUCH different team if we can hit our 3s

BK
-----------------------
Lakers / Angels / Dolphins
thebigbird
Head Coach
And1: 19,949

Post#132 » by thebigbird » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:50 am

dockingsched wrote:I don’t know how other Lakers forums are, but this ridiculous “trade Lebron” thing here in realgm really is a shame and makes a lot of this board unreadable. At some point it’s just gotta be considered derailing of discussion.

It's embarrassing, honestly. The Lakers get the best player in the world and some people instantly want to trade him... Father Time is undefeated, but LeBron is giving him one helluva fight.
AceFresh
Senior
And1: 3

Post#133 » by AceFresh » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:10 am

Haven't posted in ages --- but BIG YIKES OP

loool
Goudelock
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,866

Post#134 » by Goudelock » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:44 am

dockingsched wrote:I don’t know how other Lakers forums are, but this ridiculous “trade Lebron” thing here in realgm really is a shame and makes a lot of this board unreadable. At some point it’s just gotta be considered derailing of discussion.

That garbage is also seeping onto the General Board as well. Most Lakers fans seem to realize how awesome LeBron has been so far, but there's a few idiots out there who still have some sort of weird affection for Kobe that would love for nothing else than for LeBron to leave/fail.
Devin Booker wrote:Bro.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,544

Post#135 » by stan francisco » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:08 am

LeBron had one hell of a night offensively. Call me a spoiled laker fan, but I expect our star to do that every now and then. Kobe got us used to the incredible on any given Tuesday.

To me, the exciting part would be to see us holding opponents under 90, with LBJ leading the way on that end.

The acrobatics? Sorry but I expect it for that pay. The scoring, rebounds and assists, too. He gets paid to bring it every night.

That’s where Father Time talk gets started. How much should he save himself? How little defense should we accept from him while he’s talking to the team about having your brother’s back etc...?
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Post#136 » by Ericb5 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:12 am

thebigbird wrote:

It's embarrassing, honestly. The Lakers get the best player in the world and some people instantly want to trade him... Father Time is undefeated, but LeBron is giving him one helluva fight.

I’m a Sixers fan and I’m really growing wearing of the drama and overreaction on our board as well. Apparently, Simmons is overrated, Fultz is a bust, and Brett Brown is an idiot that needs to be fired.

It’s demoralizing how dumb the discussion gets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jakay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,928

Post#137 » by Jakay » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:31 am

Spanish_Laker wrote:What's the implicit meaning of "shooting an elephant", by the way?

The "elephant in the room" is the idea that there's something that is clearly obvious to everyone, but yet they're all choosing to ignore it.

Shooting it is just fancy way of the OP saying "let's talk about this". Either that or he really wants a classically styled piano.
Tee212
Lead Assistant
And1: 423

Post#138 » by Tee212 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:35 pm

op is the new trollolol
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 40,958

Post#139 » by Sedale Threatt » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:53 pm

Eh, in his defense, a lot of the issues he raises are legitimate.

Let's not forget that LeBron is only in the first few months of a four-year contract, and as great as he still is, he's on the wrong side of his prime. Combined with how young and obviously unprepared our core still is, it's far from an ideal fit. And as monstrous as he still is on offense, his defensive effort ranges from mediocre to flat-out pitiful.

That said, going on about trading him is silly. I have a better chance of banging Scarlett Johansson than LeBron has of being traded, let alone for the likes of Anthony Davis, so bringing it up repeatedly almost feels like trolling.
SeattleJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,379

Post#140 » by SeattleJazzFan » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:01 am

this is a funny thread. Laker fans are quickly learning that LeBron is not your average superstar. his is in a class by himself. at 34, when he is supposed to be declining, when all these other stars did decline, in his first season in LA, he is having arguably the second best season in Laker history (Kareem in 77-78 was better and Magic had a few that compare) and his best since Miami. is he better than MJ? up for debate, of course. but he is, without question physically superior to MJ and everybody else listed by the OP. you guys must be living right - lucky as hell to have that dude.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers