ImageImageImageImageImage

What offense are we running?

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,969

What offense are we running? 

Post#1 » by Landsberger » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:40 pm

I've watched both games now a couple of times and I'm not seeing a cohesive offense of any sort. Simple P&R... some offside screens and a little motion now an again but there seems to be no real structure other than trying to push the pace.

Pushing the pace is getting us buckets for sure but in the half court we're getting nothing but heavily contested shots. We're not hitting 3's but then again we've only had a handful that haven't been contested. We need to create some more makable shots from the perimeter and get some mismatches on the interior. Right now I don't see much of either and a lot of standing or having 2 players in the same area of the floor.

Either they are still learning the offense/each other or we're not really running one it seems. It's a little like a pick up game in the half court right now.

Losing Rondo and Ingram will change this even more.

What are you guys seeing?
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Re: What offense are we running? 

Post#2 » by Spens1 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:41 am

Losing Rondo is going to suck but if Lonzo plays like he did last game its not going to be as bad (still though, it is a big downgrade as it stands now).

I think we may be better with Ingram off the floor to be honest, he's struggled in the 2 games for the most part so the offense may actually flow better.
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,298

Post#3 » by Dr Aki » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:49 am

It's hard to see what offense we're running because the outside shots aren't opening up the floor

Even one guy knocking down a corner 3 would be mana from heaven
TylersLakers
RealGM
And1: 2,809

Post#4 » by TylersLakers » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:56 am

My problem with Luke and this coaching staff has repeatedly been lack of player movement on the weakside of the floor. It got better last season as the year went on. I imagine things will be similar this year. But when we're not running and getting layups, it's hard to watch.
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,047

Post#5 » by Lalouie » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:58 am

Landsberger wrote:I've watched both games now a couple of times and I'm not seeing a cohesive offense of any sort. Simple P&R... some offside screens and a little motion now an again but there seems to be no real structure other than trying to push the pace.

Pushing the pace is getting us buckets for sure but in the half court we're getting nothing but heavily contested shots. We're not hitting 3's but then again we've only had a handful that haven't been contested. We need to create some more makable shots from the perimeter and get some mismatches on the interior. Right now I don't see much of either and a lot of standing or having 2 players in the same area of the floor.

Either they are still learning the offense/each other or we're not really running one it seems. It's a little like a pick up game in the half court right now.

Losing Rondo and Ingram will change this even more.

What are you guys seeing?

the lakers are not a good half offensive team. as they were last or almost last in 3s and fts last year, that makes them sucky in half court. that doesn't change - they don't get good at shooting overnight, so they're outrunning the defense in hopes to not have to rely on a half court game. the reason the games have been close is BECAUSE lal is running . if they were in half court they would get blown out by 25 every game. no 3s, no ft's, no bigs at the hub. lal HAS TO run, go to the rim aggressively and get easier buckets.

i give walton his due for seeing lal for what it is and planning a work around.
synergisticly, the half court game works best for veteran teams as it's kind of a surgical execution of plays. lal is too young and too poor in shooting. the irony is, imo, they may tire lebron out....lol. this kind of game requires young legs and there 77 more games to go.
Landsberger
General Manager

Post#6 » by Landsberger » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:21 pm

A couple more games since I asked this question..... and I still don't see a consistent pattern. We won a couple so maybe "pick-up" ball will work. With Ingram out we are getting some good weak side action with Kuzma moving all of the time. That has really helped keep the ball moving in the half court.
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#7 » by DEEP3CL » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:20 am

No team is really running a deliberate offense anymore, all teams are running some form of a motion loaded with pin downs, pick and pops and overloads. Gone are the days of "Fist Up", which was dumping it to the post get cutters going and passing back out to weak side. Basically all team are running this motion, flex style offense...it's not pretty but with teams wanting to play in space and pushing tempo, slow down type offenses are done.

Although I did see some form of the Princeton offense in some sets last night, but with a player like LeBron who should post more we could run some lethal stuff with guys cutting off him. Long season I suspect we will see something like that down the line.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
mcscotty
Rookie
And1: 486

Post#8 » by mcscotty » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:24 am

At times, we are playing fast. Not only running, but quick snappy passes. At other times we're playing half court, setting screens, driving and looking for lobs. Sometimes it's an iso play, but ball movement is what makes us really dangerous. We've got so many looks and so much depth that it's impossible for teams to contain. Offense is not a concern for this team.
Tee212
Lead Assistant
And1: 423

Post#9 » by Tee212 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:28 pm

at times it looks like they are doing the triangle with mcgee in the post lol...like seriously they threw it to him back to back possession for him to "go to work"
Landsberger
General Manager

Post#10 » by Landsberger » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:51 pm

mcscotty wrote:Offense is not a concern for this team.

As long as we can run I may agree.

This is no longer a "development" team IMHO. This had better be a playoff team.... that's what the FO thinks it is anyway.

Here's the issue with running as our best offense. The playoffs are series and teams can game plan around your strengths. You play better teams with each successive round. Matchups are key. This is why I think having a set offense to play in the half court is a key to our overall success. We won't be running as much in the playoffs. If we're not very good defensively it's hard to run taking the ball out of the net.... Also hard with marginal rebounding.

I'm seeing some really good motion off the ball from Kuzma and McGee when Bron has the ball. KCP is moving as well. Ball is so used to having the ball he's forgetting to move and typically stands near the top of the circle waiting for the rotation. This will come in time to him as he gets used to playing with Bron who will be initiating the offense a lot. With this team and it's talent we should be a constant motion group.... always moving and rotating the ball. The single initiator stuff is where we get bogged down.

Not sure if it's a strong correlation or not but with Ingram out we've seen a lot more movement in the half court. He's had a few flashes of playing off the ball but he's still not that comfortable with it. Kuzma OTOH seems to thrive in that situation.

We need a balanced attack. One that can run teams our in the regular season and one that can pick them apart in the post season. There's a long road ahead and my money is on that this isn't the team we'll take into the playoffs but I've seen some improvement and I'm sure more is to come.
Jakay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,928

Post#11 » by Jakay » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:12 pm

It's called the LeBroffense
john248
Starter
And1: 651

Post#12 » by john248 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:30 pm

little bit of the 1-4 offense, little bit horns, little bit motion, little bit triangle
The Last Word

Return to Los Angeles Lakers