ImageImageImageImageImage

Young core all star potential

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

Who will make an all-star team, while on the Lakers, in the next 3 years?

Ball
8%
Hart
No votes
Ingram
13%
Kuzma
17%
Zubac
5%
None of them
57%

Total votes: 63

infintybeyond
Rookie
And1: 1,802

Re: Young core all star potential 

Post#61 » by infintybeyond » Mon Dec 3, 2018 12:19 am

Landsberger wrote:
thomas1897 wrote:The young core players have not arrived at allstar status. First principle is how are these guys going to compliment their games to Lebron. The offense is facilitated through him. Basketball IQs are important and are exercised to promote improvement which develops into winning games. Having a team loaded with allstars helps but does not always win championships.

Well said. So far, Kuzma has adjusted the best to Bron. Ingram seems to be competing with him for touches which is not great because Bron is so much more efficient with the ball. That said, Ingram can play off the ball and has shown to do it in stretches. Ball is the one who's really struggling at present with the off the ball role. He's great on the break with the ball but with Bron I'm not sure that's who we are anymore.

It's because Kuzma is the only one that cuts properly. He moves great without the ball. The only thing missing is efficiency from 3.

Lonzo stops his cuts short like he doesn't want the ball and is a bad finisher. He is just a bad scorer. Needs a ton of work plus a complete overhaul of that stupid form. Ball provides nothing off ball because he can't score and doesn't cut properly. Today's body language was turrible.

Ingram wants to play iso too much instead of playing within the offense. He takes Kobe shots without Kobe skill. He needs to let the game come to him more by taking simpler shots (1-2 pull up, coming off screens, catch and shoot) instead of Kobe shots. He wears out too easily in the post and doesn't get separation besides his length.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,679

Post#62 » by dockingsched » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:08 am

Kuzma is showing some star potential, everything is working for him including defense and passing.

Ranking the young core:

Star potential:Kuzma
Reliable starters on a title team: Lonzo and Hart
Iā€™m ready to move on: Ingram
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,821

Post#63 » by TyCobb » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:16 am

Kuz is also the oldest too. I wouldn't rule out BI just yet.
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
Pythagoras
Analyst
And1: 3,282

Post#64 » by Pythagoras » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:32 am

Iā€™m extremely happy with Kuz right now. Heā€™s taking his game to another level. I wonder what the forward situation looks like as far as All Stars in the West right now? If Kuz can get his scoring up to 20/night (and I think he can), Iā€™d love it if he made the AS team with LeBron.

As far as Ingram, Iā€™m not ready to count him out just yet, but heā€™s got some serious work to do get on Kuzā€™s level as far as a positive contributor goes.
Numbers rule the universe.
thomas1897
Junior
And1: 86

Post#65 » by thomas1897 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:54 pm

The Lakers have to make decisions and evaluate who is going and who is staying. Lebron is showing some signs of aging and how much longer can he play at an elite level. Hart, Ingram and Kuzma have the ability to score are these players going to be the new offensive options to go to. The Laker's management has to ascertain are these players apart of the future. This season is critical too many teams have improved since Lebron has left the Eastern Conference. Denver, Clippers, Thunder, Dallas, Warriors and others. If these players do not show any significant improvement the Lakers should consider how much can anyone or all bring by trading and picking up assets. Lonzo Ball has skills but what side of the court does the management need to examine to have complimentary players to add. Therefore, if Ball can not get better he should be expendable too. The Lakers have many moving parts this season and if some pieces are not working in this system change should be made. An example can be made Markielle Fultz has no shot very similar to Lonzo Ball. Is Lonzo Ball going to be the future of the Lakers at point guard? Does the Laker's management needs to bring more stars to supplement Lebron James not just players that have past their prime or injury prone? Does anyone have a solution I thought Majic and Rob Pelinka did?
BEazy
RealGM
And1: 2,483

Post#66 » by BEazy » Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:09 am

Just by watching all the other rookies and young guys around the league, I believe none of our young guys are going to be stars. The closest one on our squad will be Kuzma and I think he'll only be a all-star. We have no Luka, Donovan Mitchell, Kristaps Porzingis, Deaaron Fox, etc. type of players. Those guys are going to be stars in the future, if not, already stars.

Long Live The Black Mamba. Kobe Bean Bryant Laker For Life. 8/24
Asianiac_24
General Manager
And1: 3,598

Post#67 » by Asianiac_24 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:58 pm

The best one is Kuzma and even him at the best case scenario is like a CJ McCollum imo

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
dAdo dA dEvil
Sixth Man
And1: 476

Post#68 » by dAdo dA dEvil » Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:55 pm

Kuz is looking good right now because his (and Hart too) fundamentals are solid as they played more college ball. They are older too. Ingarm, Zu and Ball are younger so I'll give them at least 2 more years. Be patient with these kids because they have more potential and their ceiling is higher. This is a solid squad.
thomas1897
Junior
And1: 86

Post#69 » by thomas1897 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:26 pm

Merry Christmas LAL yesterday was a very joyous moment for the Lakers. The veterans showed leadership and poise winning against the league champions but the Lakers need to be very consistent in the future. Rondo, Stevenson, Chandler and Pope provided leadership critical for victory yesterday. The young core of Hart, Kuzma, and Zubac need to be more consistent and execute better also Ingram should take his game to another level because he has the skills. Lonzo ball has to improve on finishing better at the rim also score off the dribble. Lebron is going to be questionable in the next week and this is a great opportunity for the Lakers team to collective improve. Yes, Lebron may not play but the young core is now in the spot light can they show just how good they are. The team is at an impasse and now is the time bring it on.
Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,969

Post#70 » by Landsberger » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:06 am

This will be a test for the kids. Ball and Ingram will need to adjust to Bron not being there and provide the scoring punch or this could be a long stretch for us. Kuzma is putting up 21, 3.5 and 7 or so in his last 10. We will need similar jumps from Ball and Ingram's averages to keep the offense afloat.

Stephenson will need to be a bigger part of the offense as well. He may start during this stretch.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#71 » by dockingsched » Thu Jan 3, 2019 6:32 am

More convinced than ever that there isnā€™t an all star level player in the young core.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
SlimShady83
General Manager
And1: 1,188

Post#72 » by SlimShady83 » Thu Jan 3, 2019 9:51 am

dockingsched wrote:More convinced than ever that there isnā€™t an all star level player in the young core.

Disagree

King Kuz is the one - just need more time

You guys give up on players way too soon most of these if not all are 21 and you think they don't have it in them to succeed at allstar level? You're crazy!

I'd even go as far as saying Ball can eventually Make it - but his had the most pressure of all of them - Thanks Dad! etc

Just give them Time

King Kuz and Ball are the only ones atm I wouldn't even trade for - not even for AD
Bring back Defense
kblo247
RealGM
And1: 2,130

Post#73 » by kblo247 » Thu Jan 3, 2019 12:36 pm

dockingsched wrote:More convinced than ever that there isnā€™t an all star level player in the young core.

Kuzma is an all star. Jamuison was an all star so I easily see him making it. In fact he is the only guy to step up and our second best player easily right now. He has shown the ability to get numbers and not be afraid of the moment which will get him a spot once in his career.

Ingram and Ball, nope. People can say but they are just kids. By any measure, Kuzma is better than them with less exp than BI and equal experience as Ball. By age count I don't want to hear but they are 21. Kobe at the age of 21 made less than them, was all nba, all defense, multiple time all star, and champion. Heck Kobe at 19 in his second year is greater than Ball and at 20 in year 3 with the lockout is greater than Ingram, and that's the standard for them as Laker lotto picks ( what came before them) if they want to stick not bums like Randle and Russell.

Do you know what made Kobe better? It wasn't his body. Could you imagine giving Kobe Ingram's frame? It was his skill set and work habits. Kobe worked on his game, worked on his free throws, knew how to use the glass, and he didn't get his panties twisted when asked if he can post up like Lavar and Lonzo did when they first met.

Fact is BI and Zo are inconsistent because they aren't hard workers, they aren't skilled, they lack iq, and they are fine with being good. Kuzma for every fault of the bunch wants to be great and plays like it every night whether its forcing himself to try to pass, defend, rebound, or score more.

Really what PG can't hit a free throw? Really what SF sees his free throw percentage by month drop and calls himself a scorer but hasn't broken the 26 point mark but once in his life since high school? They aren't all stars at all, they are Bob Sura and Wiggins projections right now over being Kidd and KD comparisons because they don't want to put in the work
Landsberger
General Manager

Post#74 » by Landsberger » Thu Jan 3, 2019 6:26 pm

Kuz may be that guy. LA's large fan base could get him on the squad. He's showing some nice all around improvement in his game and my guess is that when we are looking to trade he will be the most popular one of the core as well.
milesfides
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,449

Post#75 » by milesfides » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:35 pm

He's got to play better defense to be voted a reserve by coaches.

But Kyle Kuzma was clearly a stud even in his rookie season. His three-point shot hasn't been good for the first half of the season (center-experiment), but I think he ends the season shooting closer to 35% and up. His 77% free throw shooting has come around too, which is a great sign of becoming a complete scorer. But above all, he's aggressive, confident, can score anywhere, and at that four position, he doesn't have much competition. And most all-star frontcourt vote-getters are at least in their late 20s, so that will align very nicely with his prime in 3-4 years. As Lebron fades, I see Kuzma easily being able to be a 25+ ppg scorer, which tends to attract all-star votes.

And as the Lakers start to do better, especially with the attention that Lebron gets, Kuzma will start to win fans everywhere. He's just got it. He's a good combination of old school hard-working killer and millennial social media star.

But above all, he's special. He's 23 and already a dynamic, full-stack scorer - at the four position, which makes him even more rare. When our team finally settles into steady rotations and roles, he's going to get comfortable. He's been playing tight all year. When he gets loose, you realize he's very close to becoming elite.
ā€œOH! Caruso parachutes in! You cannot stop him - you can only hope to contain him!ā€ -Kevin Harlan, LAL-GSW 4/4/19
milesfides
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,449

Post#76 » by milesfides » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:48 pm

I also think Lonzo has a great chance. He's almost ten years younger than all the all-star guards. Sure, there'll be other young talented players to come into the league, but he's got a few years to improve his shooting. Which he did this season.

Field goals percentage: 40.7% from 36.0%. Three-pointers: 33.3% from 30.5%. Unfortunately his free-throws are still horrendous, but you've got to give the kid credit. 2/3 is pretty good.

He's still the best defensive young point guard, great size and a good athlete who can finish on back door plays, low-usage but elite-vision.

As long as he stays healthy, he's still got a great shot to become a top 5 point guard.
ā€œOH! Caruso parachutes in! You cannot stop him - you can only hope to contain him!ā€ -Kevin Harlan, LAL-GSW 4/4/19
Landsberger
General Manager

Post#77 » by Landsberger » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:30 pm

I still don't think our young core + LeBron get's us to a championship. Adding a top FA will displace someone so my guess is that we're trading someone. I think Ingram is the one to trade personally. He can play 1-3 but he's not going to be better than easily gettable other options at the point or 2 guard positions. I think he's limited as a 3 as well with Bron. It's becoming clear that when he scores the ball he impacts the others who are more efficient than him. I still think he's the one we try and trade first. I'd try and get a shooter for the 2 guard slot. That would take some of the pressure off Ball to be what he's clearly not and let him be what he is.

Because of his performance and growth.... not to mention his contract status I'd keep Kuz at all costs. He's by far the most complete of the young guys in terms of today's performance. Predictions and projections just that.....
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#78 » by dockingsched » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:13 am

loss tonight has me thinking for the first time that the front office isn't going to wait around waiting for this young core to develop enough to become a viable supporting cast, they're just too far behind. don't know if they're willing to just rid this season out.
SweetTouch
RealGM
And1: 2,961

Post#79 » by SweetTouch » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:52 am

All star level if they have the GOAT to spoon fed them wide open shots
Stop being so disrespectful.
chrismikayla
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,909

Post#80 » by chrismikayla » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:01 pm

Guys do you think lack of player development is an issue? I live in Atlanta and the new management and coach seem to excel at having players play to their strengths while improving weak areas such as outside shooting and shot selection. AS good as Trae young has been coach PIerce will pull him for boneheaded plays
[gfycat][/gfycat]

Return to Los Angeles Lakers