ImageImageImageImageImage

Young core all star potential

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

Who will make an all-star team, while on the Lakers, in the next 3 years?

Ball
8%
Hart
No votes
Ingram
13%
Kuzma
17%
Zubac
5%
None of them
57%

Total votes: 63

snaquille oatmeal
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,763

Re: Young core all star potential 

Post#121 » by snaquille oatmeal » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:16 pm

dockingsched wrote:Anyone here think any of these young players is destined to become a multiple time all star. Just don’t see it in any of them, am I the only one?

Just too many holes in each of their games. Not saying trade all of em, but I think it would be best to adjust expectations.

The young core deserve a nickname, I’m all for “Summer League 17” or SL17.
Forum permissions
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot trade for basketball reasons in this forum
You cannot but I can...five rings!
milesfides
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,449

Post#122 » by milesfides » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:41 pm

Another great game by Zubac, who has become our half court go-to option. And why not? Nobody can handle him down there, although I hated that he kicked it back out when he had Harden on him on one possession. He's become a 20-10-2 block 7-footer with elite efficiency across the board. A rare post up player in today's small ball league actually gives us a huge advantage, and he plays good defense. Not a liability!

If (when) the Lakers get back on top, I can definitely see him getting voted in. If Al Horford, LaMarcus Aldridge, and Andre Drummond have multiple all-star appearances, then yes, Zubac definitely has a chance to become an all-star if he's playing like this as a 21 year old. Considering McGee is a rental and Chandler is more of a backup at this stage, Zubac should be our starting center moving forward. I hope we don't lose him in an Anthony Davis trade.
“OH! Caruso parachutes in! You cannot stop him - you can only hope to contain him!” -Kevin Harlan, LAL-GSW 4/4/19
Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,969

Post#123 » by Landsberger » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:24 pm

milesfides wrote:Another great game by Zubac, who has become our half court go-to option. And why not? Nobody can handle him down there, although I hated that he kicked it back out when he had Harden on him on one possession. He's become a 20-10-2 block 7-footer with elite efficiency across the board. A rare post up player in today's small ball league actually gives us a huge advantage, and he plays good defense. Not a liability!

If (when) the Lakers get back on top, I can definitely see him getting voted in. If Al Horford, LaMarcus Aldridge, and Andre Drummond have multiple all-star appearances, then yes, Zubac definitely has a chance to become an all-star if he's playing like this as a 21 year old. Considering McGee is a rental and Chandler is more of a backup at this stage, Zubac should be our starting center moving forward. I hope we don't lose him in an Anthony Davis trade.

I like Zu and agree that he can be a 12-15 ppg guy with 8-10 boards consistently. He will have issues guarding the more mobile bigs and more physical bigs but those guys are few and far between these days. My guess is that it won't happen here. He will be a low priority to re-sign IMHO. The way he's playing of late he will be a trade must for teams as well.

Our young guys are currency. The FO isn't going to invest heavily in guys who can't push a Bron led team over the top..... just not what they are thinking now that he's here IMHO.
Japago
Freshman
And1: 28

Post#124 » by Japago » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:34 pm

This was one of my favorite topics. I think it would be nice to start this conversation again now that we're at the end of the season. Zubac is gone now, but I wasn't all that high on him. I think he's a product of certain match-ups and great play-makers setting him up. You can certainly question the return for him though, in which they only received Muscala.

I still feel like none of these guys are all-stars.

I know a lot of people liked Ingram's box score numbers, but I think he put up empty stats at the expense of the team. Advanced stats bare that out. They're really bad. Stats like RPM and VORP say they're 400+ better players than him(not saying he's THAT bad, but you should have some concerns when the stats say he's THAT bad) . His ball-stopping, ISO, preference for mid-range jumpers, and lack of passing just aren't helping the Lakers at all. I question whether he can be a really good and productive player while fitting onto a winning team.

Kuzma's defense slightly improved, but his 3 pt shooting took a nose dive. His overall play took a nose dive later in the season. But, he's still able to play within the team structure despite his limitations. He needs to really improve on defense if he's going to be a major help to the Lakers though.

I still like Lonzo Ball better than the rest of the young core. His defense and play-making are reliable commodities that definitely help the team. He raised his FG% and 3PT%, but lowered his FT% even further. If his shooting and finishing at the rim improves even more, I think he's got the best chance at becoming an all-star. If he can get to a point where he's averaging around 15 PPG a game with solid percentages, he's a really impactful player with the other things he brings to the table.

Josh Hart is definitely a role-player. I don't think anybody disputes this. He really tailed off after a good start to the season, but he was reportedly dealing with an injury. Let's see if he bounces back.
tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,926

Post#125 » by tugs » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:53 am

Alex Caruso is a keeper. On-ball, off-ball, as scorer, defender, or passer you name it, he'll deliver.
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,637

Post#126 » by danfantastk32 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:17 pm

Lonzo has the talents that separate him from the pack of NBA players. Gonna have to play more than 8 games a season though. Don't know that that's gonna happen. Besides the seasonal injuries....hasn't he had two or three injuries in the off-season? Prob has the best potential....but the most likely NOT to live up to it.

Kuz might make an All-star or two. The "Laker Love" appearance. He's able to stay on the floor for the most part. If he can get his PPG up around 25....he'll prob squeak in once or twice based on the fanbase. Not sure that makes him an "all star" in the spirit meant here.

Ingram is out in the weeds. He needs to get back on the main road. We'll worry about all-star appearances then.

Doubt most of these guys will stay Lakers.....so maybe they will go East, luck into a backup spot due to injuries like our other #2 pick, and enjoy their weekend.
chefy
Head Coach
And1: 650

Post#127 » by chefy » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:20 pm

regardless...theyre not reaching their full potentials here.

thats why i wasn't too upset with the d lo trade....just wished magic waited for better offers.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers