ImageImageImageImageImage

Game 26: Los Angeles Lakers (15-10) @ Memphis Grizzlies (15-9) - WIN - 16-10

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,969

Re: Game 26: Los Angeles Lakers (15-10) @ Memphis Grizzlies (15-9) 

Post#21 » by Landsberger » Sun Dec 9, 2018 4:51 am

Michael Lucky wrote:I'm loving what I'm seeing from Kuzma. Hes finally getting more consistent with the playmaking which is really good to see.

This is what happens when the ball moves and he gets touches earlier in the clock. Ingram is such a ball stopper. It's becoming evident that Ingram and Bron on the same unit is not as good as Kuzma and Bron on the same unit. Kuz is rounding his game out nicely so far this year.

Over his last 5 games: 21.4, 9.2, 4.4 and 1.4 TO's. 48% overall shooting with 38.5% on 3's
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 5,394

Re: Game 26: Los Angeles Lakers (15-10) @ Memphis Grizzlies (15-9) - WIN - 16-10 

Post#22 » by Danny Darko » Sun Dec 9, 2018 5:39 am

Read on Twitter
hazy_01
Rookie
And1: 362

Post#23 » by hazy_01 » Sun Dec 9, 2018 5:46 am

Landsberger wrote:
Michael Lucky wrote:I'm loving what I'm seeing from Kuzma. Hes finally getting more consistent with the playmaking which is really good to see.

This is what happens when the ball moves and he gets touches earlier in the clock. Ingram is such a ball stopper. It's becoming evident that Ingram and Bron on the same unit is not as good as Kuzma and Bron on the same unit. Kuz is rounding his game out nicely so far this year.

Over his last 5 games: 21.4, 9.2, 4.4 and 1.4 TO's. 48% overall shooting with 38.5% on 3's

Ingram and Rondo off the bench sounds good when they come back.
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,637

Post#24 » by danfantastk32 » Sun Dec 9, 2018 6:50 am

Landsberger wrote:

I have to agree. Have always been high on Kuzma.....but I thought Ingram and Ball were gonna be the stars, with the talent. But I'm not so sure anymore. At least not with Lebron.

This team really plays nicely when guys are hitting outside shots that Lebron dishes to them. Like it or not, it seems to be how Lebron wants to do it, and when he's playing really well, we are a good team.

Ingram and Ball aren't draining. Ball is borderline useless out there. Decent defense, and some nice dishes...but he rarely brings the ball up, and when he does shoot.....it's miss, miss, miss, miss, make, miss, miss....and so on. Brutal. Ingram just seems like he's on a 3rd team most of the time.

Ingram and Ball should play every second Lebron sits. But it's been almost 30 games now....and Kuz has figured out his role with Lebron, and the guy is just ballin. So is Hart. I think it's time for some harsh truths.

I don't think it's good for Ingram to keep him. Not anymore. I had hoped he'd be doing what Kuz is....but he needs the ball, and this just isnt a good fit. Same with Ball. We need guys to spread the floor. To be fair to Ball.....he sees the floor, he moves the ball, and isn't afraid to attack, and break the D down. I do think there is worth there. I think people will be in for a disappointment thinking we just need to have "catch and shoot" guys. But I think he's selling himself short staying a Laker, and I think we're selling ourselves short, thinking this guy is gonna start draining 3's. Most of what he does well, is done by Lebron now.

I'm willing to ride this the rest of the season. Maybe something will happen?? But I think your already starting to see the cream rise when it comes to who can thrive with Lebron.

Good game though, overall. Didn't feel like night-2 of a back-to-back at all. I assume some credit goes to Luke for keeping them ready. Well done
iamworthy
RealGM
And1: 8,909

Re: Game 26: Los Angeles Lakers (15-10) @ Memphis Grizzlies (15-9) - WIN - 16-10 

Post#25 » by iamworthy » Sun Dec 9, 2018 6:52 am

How is lonzo the only starter with a negative +/- in a blowout win?
LBC SoCal
Junior
And1: 417

Post#26 » by LBC SoCal » Sun Dec 9, 2018 6:58 am

Great game, Kuzma these past two games has been great.

KCP has been playing pretty well also, and it seems his shots are finally starting to fall.

(my first post! longtime lurker)
11 titles won in LA in the modern era, while y’all living on “success” from 2 generations ago :lol:
Laker_Kid
Starter
And1: 591

Post#27 » by Laker_Kid » Sun Dec 9, 2018 8:42 am

LBC SoCal wrote:Great game, Kuzma these past two games has been great.

KCP has been playing pretty well also, and it seems his shots are finally starting to fall.

(my first post! longtime lurker)

welcome to the boards!
kblo247
RealGM
And1: 2,130

Post#28 » by kblo247 » Sun Dec 9, 2018 9:49 am

iamworthy wrote:

He's becoming the number 2 option....If he isnt already.

It is the year 1999 and you are having to choose between Kobe and Eddie. Kuzma is Kobe, Ingram is Eddie. Ingram had the fanfare and adulation, but he ain't there mentality wise. Eddie had a ll the talent to be better than Kobe, but couldn't do it. Ingram has all the talent to be better than Kuz but can't do it. What really sells it is much like Kobe, even though his first thought is score the ball, he has the damn pride and will to force himself to playmake and defend. And yes he has defended since Luke started having him defend the perimeter over the interior. Defendign the perimeter has also helped his rebounding as he is not trying to box 4/5 out.

Kuzma has better starting numbers period on the year; hell his averages are even better even with the bad start as backup 5. When LeBron sits, Kuzma without Ingram is keeping the O going better. Kuzma is just better. Kuzma was better than BI last year and people tried to excuse it with some age bull ****, but reality is Kuzma is faster, stronger, jumps higher, smarter, has better instincts, and has shown more growth than BI.

That man is **** Dick Grayson, the one true Robin, not Zo or BI
kblo247
RealGM
And1: 2,130

Post#29 » by kblo247 » Sun Dec 9, 2018 9:50 am

Part of me wonders what KCP, Hart, Kuzma, LeBron, Javale looks like
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#30 » by Slava » Sun Dec 9, 2018 11:01 am

Pleasantly surprised by the energy the team brought on a road back to back. I penciled in the San Antonio game as winnable and this one a schedule loss.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,545

Post#31 » by stan francisco » Sun Dec 9, 2018 11:43 am

Great ball movement. Start Hart. Let BI and RR run the second five.
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
Rosque
Analyst
And1: 2,010

Post#32 » by Rosque » Sun Dec 9, 2018 12:51 pm

Watching replay, only available stream is Fox and they call Hart Jason all the time. Annoying
"All these guys who run these organizations who talk about analytics, they have one thing in common: They're a bunch of guys who ain't never played the game, they never got the girls in high school, and they just want to get in the game."
Spanish_Laker
Lead Assistant

Post#33 » by Spanish_Laker » Sun Dec 9, 2018 1:02 pm

Great win, the keys were offensive rebounds and lots of 3s made.

PS: The board is dead :(
Banned after 15 years in this forum for no reason. Farewell RealGM users
Rosque
Analyst

Post#34 » by Rosque » Sun Dec 9, 2018 1:05 pm

Rosque wrote:Watching replay, only available stream is Fox and they call Hart Jason all the time. Annoying

They just called Hart 'Lonzo Ball' on his floater :lol: :lol:
"All these guys who run these organizations who talk about analytics, they have one thing in common: They're a bunch of guys who ain't never played the game, they never got the girls in high school, and they just want to get in the game."
Landsberger
General Manager

Post#35 » by Landsberger » Sun Dec 9, 2018 2:58 pm

iamworthy wrote:How is lonzo the only starter with a negative +/- in a blowout win?

I don’t think he had a positive stat at all until the late 3rd quarter. Zeros everywhere.
Landsberger
General Manager

Post#36 » by Landsberger » Sun Dec 9, 2018 3:05 pm

danfantastk32 wrote:
Landsberger wrote:

I have to agree. Have always been high on Kuzma.....but I thought Ingram and Ball were gonna be the stars, with the talent. But I'm not so sure anymore. At least not with Lebron.

This team really plays nicely when guys are hitting outside shots that Lebron dishes to them. Like it or not, it seems to be how Lebron wants to do it, and when he's playing really well, we are a good team.

Ingram and Ball aren't draining. Ball is borderline useless out there. Decent defense, and some nice dishes...but he rarely brings the ball up, and when he does shoot.....it's miss, miss, miss, miss, make, miss, miss....and so on. Brutal. Ingram just seems like he's on a 3rd team most of the time.

Ingram and Ball should play every second Lebron sits. But it's been almost 30 games now....and Kuz has figured out his role with Lebron, and the guy is just ballin. So is Hart. I think it's time for some harsh truths.

I don't think it's good for Ingram to keep him. Not anymore. I had hoped he'd be doing what Kuz is....but he needs the ball, and this just isnt a good fit. Same with Ball. We need guys to spread the floor. To be fair to Ball.....he sees the floor, he moves the ball, and isn't afraid to attack, and break the D down. I do think there is worth there. I think people will be in for a disappointment thinking we just need to have "catch and shoot" guys. But I think he's selling himself short staying a Laker, and I think we're selling ourselves short, thinking this guy is gonna start draining 3's. Most of what he does well, is done by Lebron now.

I'm willing to ride this the rest of the season. Maybe something will happen?? But I think your already starting to see the cream rise when it comes to who can thrive with Lebron.

Good game though, overall. Didn't feel like night-2 of a back-to-back at all. I assume some credit goes to Luke for keeping them ready. Well done

Ball is who he is..... we made Ingram a ball stopper IMHO. Pumping him as the lead guy last year was not the best decision. He has the game to be a valuable piece but he’s not a guy who’s going to be a dominant scorer on a good team. Kuz has found a way to coexist with Bron and is playing all areas of the game well at the moment.

Moving Ingram for help is doable...... Ball I’m no so sure. He’s not showing anything in his shot with Rondo sidelined.
Rosque
Analyst

Post#37 » by Rosque » Sun Dec 9, 2018 3:53 pm

I think Ingram is what Iggy was for Warriors when he joined them. 12-15 ppg, great defense.
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach

Post#38 » by danfantastk32 » Sun Dec 9, 2018 5:35 pm

kblo247 wrote:When LeBron sits, Kuzma without Ingram is keeping the O going better. Kuzma is just better.

This was what really made me change sides. Kuzma is just better with or without Lebron. So it's not about playing with Lebron...although that is night and day as well.
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach

Post#39 » by danfantastk32 » Sun Dec 9, 2018 5:51 pm

Landsberger wrote:
Moving Ingram for help is doable...... Ball I’m no so sure. He’s not showing anything in his shot with Rondo sidelined.

So...I actually don't have a huge problem with this. Ball plays WELL with Lebron. He seems fine / comfortable playing D. He moves, get's involved...he does break down the D occasionally, links up well with McGee, and Kuz, and everyone. JUST MAKE A F*** SHOT!

I think this is fixable. If (Huge if) Ball could start shooting respectable, I think the team we have right now is a legit 2nd-round / 3rd-round team, depending on matchup. If guys are firing like last night....AND...Lonzo is actually a legit threat (0-5 from 3 last night / 2-9 from field) I think this team is really potent.

There will be a point sometime soon where the road ends for Ball. He either needs to start making shots, or we have to move on. But I think he plays well....and lets not forget he just played like game 60 as a pro. There's plenty of room left for growth. I think his demeanor works much better than say a Lillard with Lebron. Lillard and Lebron just become the Nash/Kobe issue. Or the Ingram/Lebron issue. But he needs to start making outsides shots...pulling defenses....so he can attack and dish, or attack and get to the line. If he ever did that.....I think we'd be a really good team. Will he?? I think he has until the end of this season to prove that he can.

Ingram? Boy I just don't know. He looks so lost. And Kuz is a great fit.....so as a Laker fan, I ask myself why am I fighting this anymore? It will be a bummer to watch Ingram go, or get traded...but I don't see an alternative. It's not working...and it's not getting better.
Landsberger
General Manager

Post#40 » by Landsberger » Sun Dec 9, 2018 6:04 pm

danfantastk32 wrote:
Landsberger wrote:

So...I actually don't have a huge problem with this. Ball plays WELL with Lebron. He seems fine / comfortable playing D. He moves, get's involved...he does break down the D occasionally, links up well with McGee, and Kuz, and everyone. JUST MAKE A F*** SHOT!

I think this is fixable. If (Huge if) Ball could start shooting respectable, I think the team we have right now is a legit 2nd-round / 3rd-round team, depending on matchup. If guys are firing like last night....AND...Lonzo is actually a legit threat (0-5 from 3 last night / 2-9 from field) I think this team is really potent.

There will be a point sometime soon where the road ends for Ball. He either needs to start making shots, or we have to move on. But I think he plays well....and lets not forget he just played like game 60 as a pro. There's plenty of room left for growth. I think his demeanor works much better than say a Lillard with Lebron. Lillard and Lebron just become the Nash/Kobe issue. Or the Ingram/Lebron issue. But he needs to start making outsides shots...pulling defenses....so he can attack and dish, or attack and get to the line. If he ever did that.....I think we'd be a really good team. Will he?? I think he has until the end of this season to prove that he can.

Ingram? Boy I just don't know. He looks so lost. And Kuz is a great fit.....so as a Laker fan, I ask myself why am I fighting this anymore? It will be a bummer to watch Ingram go, or get traded...but I don't see an alternative. It's not working...and it's not getting better.

I think we fans get caught up in being a fan of "our guy" too much and lose sight of how championship teams are put together. For every Magic there was a Scott... for every Kareem there was a Rambis (or Landsberger!). Right now we're not close to being a championship team but it's looking like Kuzma is fitting with Bron better than Ingram and it's not mistake that McGee is looking better than he ever has. That's the effect of a guy like Bron. The flip side is that guys like Ingram have to step back and find a role. Right now we seem hell bent on when he and Bron are in the game to have one or the other initiate the offense. When Bron does it it's usually smooth and has some flow. When Ingram does it's painful to watch at times. Can he be a bench player? Don't know. Does he want to going into his $$ seasons?.... my guess is no. I think he's getting close to peak value for us as a trade piece.

Ball is a different story. He's so far behind the league in some basic fundamentals I'm not sure he'll close the gap anytime soon if ever. He really does only a couple aspects of the game at a NBA Starter level and his defense is more predicated on gambling for steals than locking anyone down. He's had a lot more opportunity the last couple games with both Ingram and Rondo out and we haven't seem much at all. Not sure where his head is at either right now. The door is open but he seems not to want to go through.

I think our team would really benefit from a guard that can get to the cup consistently and finish while being able to shoot from the perimeter. If Ingram could net us a guy like that I'd do it. We'd be a much better balanced team. We could also use a consistent scorer off the bench. A Lou Williams or Clarkson would be nice to have right about now. Nether is complete as a player but both provide points on a consistent basis.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers