ImageImageImageImageImage

2019 Draft: Lakers got some skin in the game

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

mcscotty
Rookie
And1: 486

2019 Draft: Lakers got some skin in the game 

Post#1 » by mcscotty » Sun Feb 3, 2019 8:48 am

I know this will be a bone of contention for many, and I hate to be the one to open old wounds, but we've officially entered the Zion sweepstakes. Thanks to a new formula this year, we are very much in this. We've got a very tough February ahead of us so I figure this is a relevant topic moving forward.
Laker_Kid
Starter
And1: 591

Re: 2019 Draft: Lakers got some skin in the game 

Post#2 » by Laker_Kid » Sun Feb 3, 2019 9:54 am

weird topic. probably more appropriate after the trade deadline.
mcscotty
Rookie

Post#3 » by mcscotty » Sun Feb 3, 2019 10:15 am

We're at a crossroads right now. Which path do we choose? Are we buyers or sellers at the deadline? We're in limbo right now. Barely out of the playoffs and barely in the lottery.
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#4 » by Spens1 » Sun Feb 3, 2019 12:17 pm

If this roster stays the same, I wouldn't mind Bol Bol or Rui Hachimura to be honest.
ROballer
General Manager
And1: 2,752

Post#5 » by ROballer » Sun Feb 3, 2019 12:53 pm

If Bol Bol falls a la Michael Porter Jr. and he's available in the middle of the first round, whoever is responsible for our draft should be fired if we don't get him.

That's if we keep the pick. That's a big ass if.

He's a huge injury risk for his entire career with his frame but you have to take him in the mid to high teens, if he's available. You just have to.

He's a better Porzingis when healthy. And you can quote me on that.
Steve Nash injures his back while carrying bags

Slava wrote:I pulled a hammy while fapping. I won't make fun of Nash.
mcscotty
Rookie

Post#6 » by mcscotty » Tue Feb 5, 2019 7:55 am

We've all seen what tunnel vision has done to this team when Jimmy was in charge. Time to explore other options. Our remaining schedule is brutal. Shut Lebron and Lonzo down. Call up Wear, Ingram and Caruso. Rondo, KCP and Mcgee should be shopped. We are now in the situation that we all dreaded. Not good enough to make the playoffs, and too good to get a high pick. Our goal should be to win less than 5 games for the remainder of the season. Do it Magic!
milesfides
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,449

Post#7 » by milesfides » Tue Feb 5, 2019 4:51 pm

It’s absolutely the right move, but Lebron will force the Lakers’ hand to push for the playoffs even this season. The idea is, any team with the self-proclaimed greatest ever has a chance. That idea is dead wrong, because the Cavs, even with Kevin Love and a younger Lebron, got swept last year.

Also, Magic will oblige him too since he put undue pressure on himself and everybody in the organization to “win now” which actually means to do just enough to lose now and lose for many years later.

However, if Jeannie intervenes to trade Lebron, we should absolutely try to get a high pick in this draft. We would also increase the value of young players (nearly all took a hit with Lebron).

And Kawhi Leonard signs this summer. And we still have another max slot for 2020. Maybe Anthony Davis!

Literally the perfect plan, and plenty of flexibility and options because we’d have both assets and capspace.
“OH! Caruso parachutes in! You cannot stop him - you can only hope to contain him!” -Kevin Harlan, LAL-GSW 4/4/19
Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,513

Post#8 » by Michael Lucky » Tue Feb 5, 2019 4:55 pm

This draft looks weak. I wouldnt get too excited about it tbh
lakerz12
Head Coach
And1: 8,899

Post#9 » by lakerz12 » Tue Feb 5, 2019 5:31 pm

mcscotty wrote:We've all seen what tunnel vision has done to this team when Jimmy was in charge. Time to explore other options. Our remaining schedule is brutal. Shut Lebron and Lonzo down. Call up Wear, Ingram and Caruso. Rondo, KCP and Mcgee should be shopped. We are now in the situation that we all dreaded. Not good enough to make the playoffs, and too good to get a high pick. Our goal should be to win less than 5 games for the remainder of the season. Do it Magic!

How are we "not good enough to make the playoffs"? When we were 4th in the West before LeBron got hurt.

Sorry, but your losing mentality is wrong and the Lakers won't comply. If we can get and stay remotely healthy we will make the Playoffs and potentially make some noise once there.
milesfides
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,449

Post#10 » by milesfides » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:52 pm

Yep, time to tank. No chance to win anything this year.

1) We get a high lottery pick, which gives us a better chance to land AD (and maybe keep one young player). That far outweighs the benefits of a participation award.

2) Develop assets. We need to raise our young players’ values. For themselves, for our team. They need to start playing with confidence and that won’t happen if-

3) Lebron keeps playing. The tension between him and his teammates is almost as bad as AD and his. Awkward at best, toxic at worst. I would actually sit Lebron DNP-load management for the rest of the season. It also avoids further injuries and unnecessary mileage, whether we save him for next season or trade him. His struggles on a struggling team isn’t helping his value. At an all time low, obviously.

It’s a no brainer, really.
“OH! Caruso parachutes in! You cannot stop him - you can only hope to contain him!” -Kevin Harlan, LAL-GSW 4/4/19
Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,969

Post#11 » by Landsberger » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:10 pm

milesfides wrote:Lebron will force the Lakers’ hand to push for the playoffs even this season.

This is where you really stand with this guy. He "forces" a bunch of inexperienced kids for the playoffs? If you think that's a reason to trade him you haven't a clue about why we brought him here.

This the the Lakers here.... not Charlotte.

To the topic of the thread: We need more crap shoot top 5 picks like we need more holes in our heads.... If it aligned and we got that pick I'd trade it to get experienced vets in here to help Bron rather than ditch the guy.
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,637

Post#12 » by danfantastk32 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:15 am

Landsberger wrote:
milesfides wrote:Lebron will force the Lakers’ hand to push for the playoffs even this season.

This is where you really stand with this guy. He "forces" a bunch of inexperienced kids for the playoffs? If you think that's a reason to trade him you haven't a clue about why we brought him here.

This the the Lakers here.... not Charlotte.

To the topic of the thread: We need more crap shoot top 5 picks like we need more holes in our heads.... If it aligned and we got that pick I'd trade it to get experienced vets in here to help Bron rather than ditch the guy.

Hopin' the all-star break gives folks a chance to take a deep breath. If people don't like a player, that's fine. But he didn't come here to be a mentor for these young guys. Magic certainly didn't sign Lebron with mentor in mind either.
Mr Loggins
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,408

Post#13 » by Mr Loggins » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:35 pm

cavs fan here. I’d love it if we got the #1 pick and you guys jump from #14

General board would melt down....
TurinTurambar
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,971

Post#14 » by TurinTurambar » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:56 pm

LeBron isn't getting traded unless he specifically requests to be, so I don't even know why that continues to get brought up at this point. This team isn't in a position to effectively tank, considering the head start franchises like the Knicks and the Hawks had.

They're stuck with a whatever pick in a weak draft this year pretty much no matter what.
JohnVancouver
General Manager
And1: 236

Post#15 » by JohnVancouver » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:16 pm

All this talk about trading LBJ - he'd have to agree, no?
"Deng and Mozgov was some 1980s Clippers sh*t. So, so dumb" - Sedale Threatt

"If you can't get banned for threatening to rape a mod, what can you get banned for?" Jigga_Man/2013

"Everybody love Everybody." - Jackie Moon
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#16 » by Kilroy » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:39 pm

JohnVancouver wrote:All this talk about trading LBJ - he'd have to agree, no?

Short answer is No... But I'm not sure the short answer applies with LeBron... As much as I would love to see him in a situation he didn't choose for himself, just out of curiosity... I don't think you can trade LeBron without at least some buy-in from his crew.

Again... This is all theoretical... We're not trading LeBron unless he demanded out. And I don't think that'll happen...
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,544

Post#17 » by stan francisco » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:42 am

Tanking is never an option if you ask me. Only bad comes from tanking, unless there’s absolutely no hope. Our kids need playoffs experience. It all hangs on Lonzo’s return date if we have a shot or not.

Here’s an idea.

NYK want to build a super team in order to inflate value and sell the franchise. This is their shot. Kyrie, Durant, etc.

If they draft Zion, which is a big if, they would trade him to us for LBJ immediately if they could, KD be damned. The salaries can always be worked out with an added expiring or two that we waive, and cash etc.
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#18 » by Kilroy » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:37 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
:lol: :lol:
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
zuju
Senior
And1: 121

Post#19 » by zuju » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:15 am

I will stop thinking of Zion. With the hype on Zion, no team would be willing to trade the 1 st or 2nd pick, which could potentially land Zion, for our young core. I don't see us trading James any time soon unless he request a trade which is unlikely.

With the first round pick, I may be willing to risk on taking up Jontay Porte or Bol Bol.
For the second round pick, I would pick up Naz Reid fo LSU. Too intriguing to me as a 6'10" guard who has some good post moves and decent rebounding ability as well. I actually wouldn't mind drafting him in the first round.

Well, the LAL scouting team always "wow" us with the picks. I hope I will be surprised again.
RamonSessions7
RealGM
And1: 4,036

Post#20 » by RamonSessions7 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:37 am

6.2% at top 4. 1.3% at #1 after tonight. tied with Minn for 12th worst

Return to Los Angeles Lakers